PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the SEC Storied on Shaq and Dale Brown. It was very good. I

Saltydog
04-25-2015, 01:02 PM
do remember our '91 team beating Shaq and Stanley Roberts at the Hump to win the SEC. Man, brings back a lot of memories.

BTW, anyone know when the Thunder and Lightning SEC Storied will air?

gravedigger
04-25-2015, 01:24 PM
May 5th i think i read

woozman
04-25-2015, 01:34 PM
If I'm remembering correctly, Shaq was hurt and didn't play in that game. Four of us camped out the night before to get the student section floor seats that used to be available (my current football season ticket partner made a mad dash and got us four on the front row floor). Sherrill brought doughnuts to the students in line the morning of the game. Some dude got kicked out because he produced a 7-ft tall blow up gorilla with a Shaq jersey. We won, but I'm pretty sure Shaq didn't play in that game.

Coach34
04-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Shaq didn't play- Gert Hammink did. Shaq played in the game in BR though when we spanked their ass

Drugdog
04-25-2015, 01:48 PM
I don't think he ever beat us.

Coach34
04-25-2015, 01:56 PM
I don't think he ever beat us.

Shaq didn't want to leave the paint- and Cameron Burns would abuse him by knocking down elbow shot after elbow shot. When Shaq would come out- Burns would beat him off the dribble to the basket. 6'6 Center made Shaq look awful every time they played.

I used to love playing against those guys in McCarthy Gym during the Summer- although Burns almost took my head off with one of my shots once. Todd Merritte was the best shooter on the team at 6'9. He could stroke it- Williams should have let him pump it more

Ralph
04-25-2015, 01:57 PM
I was a ballboy (in '93 I think?) and Shaq went on a fast break missed the layup and fell directly on top of me. You could've literally wrung his sweat out of MY shirt.

woozman
04-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Burns is still one of my all time favorites - I can still hear the Flick intro...

At that time, I lived in the apartments across from the B-Quick and I would see him at the store after a game buying a CL. Me: "good game, man". Burns: "thanks, dog".

Caveman
04-25-2015, 02:06 PM
The dude with the blow up gorilla was Hobbie Hobart. He also ran r/c cars onto the court during another SEC games as well as doning a cone head, taking a set of pom poms from a cheerleader, and getting on the court during a UT game to lead the students in M/W cheer during a time-out. Security knew him and never threw him out.
It was a little intimidating standing on the 3 row of the floor risers and only being eye to eye with Shaq and Roberts. I really think Shaq was gonna play but the blow up gorilla hurt his feelings.

woozman
04-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Dub

woozman
04-25-2015, 02:13 PM
The dude with the blow up gorilla was Hobbie Hobart. He also ran r/c cars onto the court during another SEC games as well as doning a cone head, taking a set of pom poms from a cheerleader, and getting on the court during a UT game to lead the students in M/W cheer during a time-out. Security knew him and never threw him out.
It was a little intimidating standing on the 3 row of the floor risers and only being eye to eye with Shaq and Roberts. I really think Shaq was gonna play but the blow up gorilla hurt his feelings.

Thanks for filling in the blanks, good info. I almost added to my OP that maybe they took the gorilla and didn't throw him out. I seem to remember Shaq went through warm ups and we are disappointed that he didn't play. Those floor seats were freaking sweet if you wanted to camp out for them.

Coach34
04-25-2015, 03:13 PM
I Seen It and myself slept outside the night before also. We ended up about 10 rows up just to the right of halfcourt. Loudest game Ive ever been to. You couldnt hear the person standing next to you talking

Liverpooldawg
04-25-2015, 04:35 PM
The only game in any sport I have ever been too at MSU that compares to that game was the Auburn football game this past fall. Dale Brown should have won it all when he had Shaq, Roberts, and Jackson. Horrible coach but a great recruiter. He WAS what many of us thought Stans was, and then some. FYI: Stanley Roberts was gone from LSU by 1991. Neither he nor Shaq played in that game.