PDA

View Full Version : Pump the brakes has a catchy

gravedigger
04-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Ring to it. Hope we put it on a t shirt.

Meanwhile, considering the effort they put into press conferences and offseason rankings, im fully convinced their fanbase only gives a cursory glance at the actual performance of the actual teams.

msstate7
04-25-2015, 11:11 AM
Pretty sure Redcup's article was in response to to M&W Nation's on shea Patterson.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2015/02/18/lets-pump-breaks-shea-patterson/

TheRef
04-25-2015, 11:12 AM
It was....they just about copied and pasted it directly and changed Shea Patterson to Basketball players.

BeardoMSU
04-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Pretty sure Redcup's article was in response to to M&W Nation's on shea Patterson.

Yup, it was; I posted that in the original thread. It's a pretty good rip-off, actually. Its still sad they felt the need to make a response like that though, however regrettable the MWN article may have been.

msstate7
04-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Yup, it was; I posted that in the original thread. It's a pretty good rip-off, actually. Its still sad they felt the need to make a response like that though, however regrettable the MWN article may have been.

I can see why both fanbases are very excited and I can also see why both fanbases should "pump the brakes". The difference between shea and Malik to me is Malik is projected as an nba lottery pick next season. I don't even think shea would be a lottery pick if colleges drafted players next February much less professional teams

BeardoMSU
04-25-2015, 11:56 AM
I can see why both fanbases are very excited and I can also see why both fanbases should "pump the brakes". The difference between shea and Malik to me is Malik is projected as an nba lottery pick next season. I don't even think shea would be a lottery pick if colleges drafted players next February much less professional teams

Yeah you can't really compare talents out of high school between basketball and football. Basketball is a sport where you can be "NBA ready" at 18 or 19 years old; skill is much more obvious, and you don't have to rely on others to look good as with football. A 5 star QB out of high school hasn't really developed his body, reads, chemistry, etc. to be truly known how he'll pan out. The same OM friend who sent me the Red Cup article made a comment about "I see y'all care about recruiting stars now", lol, so I had to explain the difference b/w these two sports to him. Basketball is very much a "star" driven sport. Talent is something a kid can have from day one, and can totally change a basketball team from day one; you don't see that in football often, if ever.

TXtoMS
04-25-2015, 12:26 PM
Yeah you can't really compare talents out of high school between basketball and football. Basketball is a sport where you can be "NBA ready" at 18 or 19 years old; skill is much more obvious, and you don't have to rely on others to look good as with football. A 5 star QB out of high school hasn't really developed his body, reads, chemistry, etc. to be truly known how he'll pan out. The same OM friend who sent me the Red Cup article made a comment about "I see y'all care about recruiting stars now", lol, so I had to explain the difference b/w these two sports to him. Basketball is very much a "star" driven sport. Talent is something a kid can have from day one, and can totally change a basketball team from day one; you don't see that in football often, if ever.
I think that's more true for some positions, than others, where Football 5 Stars come in and can be amazingly talented, but the overall group production sucks. Laremy Tunsil is a great example, he's the best offensive linemen in college football, and he plays on an offensive line that, if healthy, might be at most an Average SEC OL. I will say this though, if there was one position in which talent from one player can do the most to lift up an entire team, it is the QB position, and Shea Patterson is really really good. As a junior in HS, he's better than anyone OM has on roster, and I don't think CK will be that horrible. I expect him to be above Average athletically, but make the same mistakes many Juco QB's make in the transition, overall maybe a 6/10 on the SEC QB scale.

gravedigger
04-25-2015, 01:01 PM

Oh. Well that makes more sense. So om hired a coach of the calibre of howland and signed a player the calibre of newman.

I mean this sincerely. Who is patterson and what sport does he play?

TheRef
04-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Oh. Well that makes more sense. So om hired a coach of the calibre of howland and signed a player the calibre of newman.

I mean this sincerely. Who is patterson and what sport does he play?

Highly-rated QB in the 2016 class.

gravedigger
04-25-2015, 01:23 PM
Ok. One article says pump the brakes on a player that will not be in college for a year and a half coached by someone who hasnt proven he can coach anyone up vs the impact howland and newman.

And by copying and pasting and inserting names, the situations are the same.

If anyone accepts that the two are the same, then that must be a pitiful existance.