PDA

View Full Version : 7 Miss. St. Bulldogs projected to go in 2015 NFL draft

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-24-2015, 09:57 AM
With the draft less than a week away, here's a look at where our guys are being projected to go. I averaged 30 mock drafts to get average draft positions for 7 Mississippi State football products. Only 9 mocks went past rd 3, so Mckinney & Smith have a larger sample.

Benardrick McKinney: average draft position - 41st overall (2nd round - 9th pick)
27 mocks; Highest - 19th overall (1-19)
Lowest - 62nd overall (2-30)
Most popular picks - Green Bay (1-30), Minnesota (2-13), & San Francisco (2-14)
Mel Kiper - 46th overall to San Francisco

Preston Smith: 44th overall (2nd rd - 12th pk)
27 mocks; Highest - 19th (1-19)
Lowest - 77th (3-12)
Most popular picks - Tampa Bay (2-2), Oakland (2-3), & Cincinatti (2-21)
Mel Kiper - 35th overall to Oakland

Justin Cox: 142nd overall (5th rd - 6th pk)
5 mocks; Highest - 130th (4-30)
Lowest - 167th (5-31)
3/5 mocks that included Cox had him going to the Seahawks

Josh Robinson: 173rd overall (5th rd - 36th pk)
7 mocks; Highest - 123th (4-24)
Lowest - 220th (7-3)
Only duplicate picks to Jacksonville & Kansas City

Blaine Clausell: - 191st overall (6th rd - 14th pk)
2 mocks; Highest - 157th (5-20), Lowest - 226th (7-8)

Kaleb Eulls: 197th overall (6th rd - 20th pk)
6 mocks; Highest - 176th (5-39), Lowest - 229th (7-11)

Ben Beckwith: 215th overall (6th rd - 38th pk)
2 mocks; Highest - 184th (6-8), Lowest - 247th (7-30)

I love the draft, as it's the only time I can sit & watch tv for an entire weekend & pull for my Bulldogs & Titans in the same event. I would love to see McKinney or Smith go in the 1st. I've heard the scouts like McKinney more than the media does, & the Rams like him enough to trade up for him late in the 1st. Smith was a hot name for a while, & has slid some recently w/o as much media buzz, but I doubt he has slid any with the scouts. If McKinney slides out of the 1st, I think Smith goes ahead of him a la Darius Slay 2013. Eulls is listed in more mocks than Clausell, & I expect him to have a higher chance to go, despite averaging out lower.

I predict 5 Bulldogs get drafted. Would be ecstatic to get 6. Out of a group with a/b 17 combined stars at the most, that would be awesome, & a powerful indication of the high level of player development going on at Mississippi State under Dan Mullen.

MaxedOutMaroon
04-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Very well organized and written. Appreciate the post. I'm going to predict 5, maybe 6 go in the draft.

Coach34
04-24-2015, 10:02 AM
There is no ****ing way Clausell and Smith get drafted. No damn wayyyyyy. I was told this by every message board genius from 2011-2013 about how they were not very talented and basically sucked. Especially about how we didn't have any OL talent

Really Clark?
04-24-2015, 10:17 AM
There is no ****ing way Clausell and Smith get drafted. No damn wayyyyyy. I was told this by every message board genius from 2011-2013 about how they were not very talented and basically sucked. Especially about how we didn't have any OL talent

One of the major points of contention that many of our fans have with the media writing these articles in the offseason about our projections by just looking at the recruiting rankings turn around and base how average a player or position group is because of the lack of stars by those players. Granted certain writers are biased idiots (Sally) but by the same token the fans have a tendency to judge the players similarly. Beckwith and Clausell may not have been 5 stars or 1 round talent but a lot of people still think they were average just based on the perception of being lowly ranked recruits. Very few players drafted or priority free agents were average college players. Those are usually highly recruited guys who were mainly busts but the NFL takes a flier on them. Clausell and Beckwith were not average or below average college players.

Drugdog
04-24-2015, 10:25 AM
What's the word on Dillion Day?

SouthMsDawg
04-24-2015, 10:34 AM
What's the word on Dillion Day?

WWE may draft him if the NFL doesn't work out.

Hypnodawg
04-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Norris has Day in the 7th as of 2 days ago.

Political Hack
04-24-2015, 01:20 PM

Smith is a DL.

Clausell was a 4-year player in the SEC. No way he wasn't getting drafted.

Coach34
04-24-2015, 01:26 PM
I know what position Smith plays. And I was told on 247 in 2012 repeatedly about how he was not very good and in no way would he be a draft pick

i I was just combining comments on him and ones about our OL

Political Hack
04-24-2015, 01:32 PM
I know what position Smith plays.

did you really think you needed to clarify that?

Coach34
04-24-2015, 01:34 PM
For our many avid readers- yes

BulldogDX55
04-24-2015, 02:26 PM
I'd be willing to bet that Matt Wells, Jameon Lewis and RoJo get camp invites.

Bully13
04-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Shit...this thread has me worried about this season

Political Hack
04-24-2015, 03:17 PM
I'd be willing to bet that Matt Wells, Jameon Lewis and RoJo get camp invites.

Despite the mock drafts, I think Wells will get plucked. I could see Beckwith being an invite, which would be better for him.

I think Bmac, Smith, Clausell, Wells, Cox, & Eulls get drafted.

I think JRob, Beckwith, Day, RoJo, and Tubby get camp invites. Someone please bookmark this so I can brag about being right after.

smootness
04-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Shit...this thread has me worried about this season

This is just the way it's going to be going forward. After this year, we'll have the following as potential draft picks:

Dak
Chris Jones
Will Redmond
Ryan Brown
Tavern Calhoun
Possibly Nick James
Possibly De'Runnya or Ross
Rufus Warren?

And Beniquez Brown, Richie Brown, AJ Jefferson, and Donald Gray are all definite or possible future draft picks as well, to go with at least 1 of the RBs and probably some OL as well. And that doesn't include any of the HS recruits from the last couple of classes.

smootness
04-24-2015, 03:33 PM
I think Robinson will get drafted.

Schultzy
04-25-2015, 02:01 AM
Our buddy Gary Danielson said the scouts he talked to last year had Ryan Brown as apotential 1st rounder.

If Wells wasn't blind in his right eye he would be in the top three rounds for sure.

DancingRabbit
04-25-2015, 11:43 AM
I caught a few minutes of Mel Kiper on ESPN radio this morning (may have been a replay) and they were talking about Preston Smith. Very complimentary.

The other guy (Todd McShay maybe?) said he would take Smith in the first round, at #25 if he was drafting for the Panthers.

War Machine Dawg
04-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Our buddy Gary Danielson said the scouts he talked to last year had Ryan Brown as apotential 1st rounder.

If Wells wasn't blind in his right eye he would be in the top three rounds for sure.

I must've missed this news. When was this discovered? Hell, I'd still draft Wells top 3 rounds. Just put on his game tape. He can play, one eye or not.

War Machine Dawg
04-25-2015, 11:53 AM
I caught a few minutes of Mel Kiper on ESPN radio this morning (may have been a replay) and they were talking about Preston Smith. Very complimentary.

The other guy (Todd McShay maybe?) said he would take Smith in the first round, at #25 if he was drafting for the Panthers.

I'd LOVE that pick. Got a soft spot for Carolina.

DanDority
04-25-2015, 12:07 PM
I think Robinson will get drafted.

Are you willing to make it interesting?

Jack Lambert
04-25-2015, 12:31 PM
Who ever gets Beckwith is going to get a steal of a deal with him. He will be on a roster.

LC Dawg
04-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Despite the mock drafts, I think Wells will get plucked. I could see Beckwith being an invite, which would be better for him.

I think Bmac, Smith, Clausell, Wells, Cox, & Eulls get drafted.

I think JRob, Beckwith, Day, RoJo, and Tubby get camp invites. Someone please bookmark this so I can brag about being right after.

There are a few teams that have been high on Wells for a while but they kept it low key in the hopes that they could get him late or just give him a free agent contract. His pro day workout got him more interest and I think he probably gets drafted. If he had gotten invited to the combine I think he could have moved up as high as 3rd-5th round.