PDA

View Full Version : OT - Re: hooking up electronics

TUSK
04-23-2015, 06:56 PM
Mods, I saw a similar OT thread below so I thought it'd be OK to ask here....

dig it, here are my components that I want to all run (tied together):
1- two year old Samsung 50" Badass TV
2- Sony Stereo Receiver
3- Cerwin Vega SS Speakers with a "Mid" and a "Bass"... not sure if that's correct terminology...
4- Video Game Console
5- My Laptop CPU - I would like to watch YouTube stuff on my big tv...

I get Hi Speed Net via a Phone Line.
My TV is Dish Network Satt.

I am intentionally ignorant of this crap bc the tech changes so much... I'd rather just bribe someone to do it/tell me how "By the numbers"...

I don't need a long ass thread, if you think you can help, and don't mind, I'd be happy to reciprocate with hunting, fishing, a trip to BD, or one night's stay in a swank trailer house and some Natty Lights and firearms... or I'll dust off my Series 7/66 and give financial advice...

feel free to PM me.... peace out.

RossDawg82
04-23-2015, 08:20 PM
How many hdmi ports does your TV have. I have 3 so I have cable and play station hooked up through my hdmi ports. Instead of hooking up your laptop, just get Google chromecast. It's a life saver for me now that direct tv can get watchespn. You can also get YouTube videos. I'm not very good at the stereo side.

TUSK
04-23-2015, 08:36 PM
How many hdmi ports does your TV have. I have 3 so I have cable and play station hooked up through my hdmi ports. Instead of hooking up your laptop, just get Google chromecast. It's a life saver for me now that direct tv can get watchespn. You can also get YouTube videos. I'm not very good at the stereo side.

ROSS, you have a PM, thanks!

Bass Chaser
04-23-2015, 08:42 PM
You could also plug everything into your receiver via HDMI then plug the receiver into the TV with one HDMI.

TUSK
04-23-2015, 08:44 PM
You could also plug everything into your receiver via HDMI then plug the receiver into the TV with one HDMI.

that part I actually understand, Bass... I just don't know what all cables I need...

Bass Chaser
04-23-2015, 09:08 PM
You need 4 HDMI cables. Plug computer, game, and Dish into receiver then run one HDMI to the TV.

vv83
04-23-2015, 09:36 PM
First thing I notice and quick advice would be don't worry about laptop, your gaming console has capabilities to play youtube videos. But you could run HDMI from TV to laptop as well. Or Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, etc if needed. PM me if you need more help. Don't have much experience on the stereo side
(Financial advice is always welcome too)

hells bells
04-23-2015, 10:13 PM
that part I actually understand, Bass... I just don't know what all cables I need...

Hey TUSK, run basically the same systems different manufacture. Use the Sony receiver audio and video on the back of the unit as the main. Have done this with a JVC and Yahmaha systems. Now, saw a new slick system from Best Buy over the weekend. I think it is named SunCo. Runs through your computer and all wireless. Pure bad ass.

Coach007
04-24-2015, 12:08 AM
Mods, I saw a similar OT thread below so I thought it'd be OK to ask here....

dig it, here are my components that I want to all run (tied together):
1- two year old Samsung 50" Badass TV
2- Sony Stereo Receiver
3- Cerwin Vega SS Speakers with a "Mid" and a "Bass"... not sure if that's correct terminology...
4- Video Game Console
5- My Laptop CPU - I would like to watch YouTube stuff on my big tv...

I get Hi Speed Net via a Phone Line.
My TV is Dish Network Satt.

I am intentionally ignorant of this crap bc the tech changes so much... I'd rather just bribe someone to do it/tell me how "By the numbers"...

I don't need a long ass thread, if you think you can help, and don't mind, I'd be happy to reciprocate with hunting, fishing, a trip to BD, or one night's stay in a swank trailer house and some Natty Lights and firearms... or I'll dust off my Series 7/66 and give financial advice...

feel free to PM me.... peace out.

If the cv speakers are "concert" speakers, the Sony receiver won't be ending power. You will ruin them.

TUSK
04-24-2015, 01:24 AM
If the cv speakers are "concert" speakers, the Sony receiver won't be ending power. You will ruin them.

YIKES,,, i've no clue of which you speak... fortunately i havent plugged them in....

SheltonChoked
04-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Buy the cheap Amazon branded hdmi cables. The expensive cables are a scam.

Mono price also has cheap good cables

dparker
04-24-2015, 08:52 AM

Do this. Run the game console and Dish receiver to the stereo tuner using HDMI (from monoprice) and then run a HDMI from stereo to TV. To get the computer stuff on the big screen get a chromecast and plug it into the hdmi on the stereo.

DawgInMemphis
04-24-2015, 11:05 AM

Are they passive or active speakers (while it's not quite the right way to describe it technically, an easier question is do the speakers plug into a power outlet directly and have a power switch on them)?

You'll need to make sure that the wattage and impedance of the speakers match up with the receiver if they are "driven" by the receiver (i.e. don't have a power switch on the speakers themselves). If you don't match the impedance, you can damage your equipment or even start a fire.

DawgInMemphis
04-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Buy the cheap Amazon branded hdmi cables. The expensive cables are a scam.

Mono price also has cheap good cables

Seconded.

DawgHouseUnited
04-24-2015, 11:14 AM
I haven't run a stereo/home theater system in over a decade, so my question may be outdated. But anyway, back then when I ran everything through the receiver, that meant that I had to have the receiver on to use whatever- dvd, satellite, etc. Is that still the case?