PDA

View Full Version : So a new study comes out saying UAB football was breaking even or profitable.

DancingRabbit
04-23-2015, 05:33 PM
First study was maybe biased towards the shutdown, this study maybe biased towards keeping football and another study due in May that may be the tie-breaker.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25160428/study-uab-was-ill-advised-to-cut-football-bowling-rifle

SDDawg
04-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Criminal.

Todd4State
04-23-2015, 07:26 PM
UAB was the biggest tragedy in college football last year.

BulldogBear
04-23-2015, 07:47 PM
UAB was the biggest tragedy in college football last year.

I hated that on top of that they didn't get to at least go out with a bowl game. Couldn't they have waited to announce that?

confucius say
04-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Didn't read the link, but I thought they were pretty good last year. Put the right people in place, and with their recruiting base, they could easily be a top 2-3 team in their conference.

justwin
04-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Yeah, they were getting good enough to start getting some of Bama's 2nd stringers instead of Bama's 4th stringers. Saban made a call to put it into works.

In all seriousness, why the hell does Birmingham need a college football team? Same with Mobile & Troy. All those teams are good for are going into OT in some b/s game before swapping over to MSU game and we don't see the first few minutes. I'm glad they're gone. Birmingham gets Media days and that should be enough.

There should only be two college football teams in Bama. It's good for college football for only those two teams in Bama. Let it be written, let it be done. This is a refreshing start to that path.

EAVdog
04-23-2015, 09:47 PM
UAB needs a football team to provide a certain quality of life for students as a regular 4yr university with a robust Undergraduate population. And that is why The BOT killed it. Lot of bad blood that goes way back about UAB being not simply the 'University of Alabama Medical School'.

SDDawg
04-23-2015, 10:40 PM
It's a sickness over there, needs to be put in check.

Pollodawg
04-24-2015, 12:13 AM
I have been in and out of BHam a lot over the last few years. There was zero fan interest in UAB football. Almost none beyond a schedule being posted in a mom and pop diner or a jersey in McAllisters. You didn't even see that much UAB apparel on folks over there other than parking decals.

But in all fairness, the football program couldn't have cost that much. Their athletic facilities looked like more like something you'd find in one of the larger high schools pretty much anywhere across the country than it did a legit D1 athletic department.

Pollodawg
04-24-2015, 12:15 AM
Suffice is to say, when the QB in the meeting they had with the University President stood up and told the guy about how many players had been hurt playing on Legion field, I get it. The university sunk no money into the football program.