PDA

View Full Version : Changing SEC Landscape

TXtoMS
04-22-2015, 10:51 PM
I was looking through all of the schedules of all the SEC West teams earlier, and what stuck out to me most about the Ole Miss schedule aside from the tough road games, was how horrible the home games are just from a fan stand point.

UT Martin- Won't be a close game
Fresno State- Won't be close
Vanderbilt-Won't be close
New Mexico State- Won't be close
Texas A&M- I think TAMU hangs in for a half, but that defense is so bad that I think A&M is this year's SEC West whipping doll. OM by 2+ scores
Arky- Will be a good game
LSU- Will be a good game

Of their 7 home games, only 3 are worth getting off the couch, fighting traffic, buying tickets, and basically giving up an entire Saturday.

Now the MSU Home Schedule:

LSU- Will be a good game
Northwestern State- Won't be close
Troy- Won't be close
LA Tech- Won't be close
Kentucky-Most likely won't be close
Alabama-Will be a good game
Egg Bowl- Will be a good game

This is the most exciting schedule MSU has had in a few years, but still only 3 out of the 7 games are legitimately worth getting geeked up over. With nearly a 2 month gap between LSU and Bama.

The only reason I point this out, is that with the SEC Network/increasing number of media outlets starting to pick up more games, coupled with the fact that ticket sales around the SEC are declining. Does it open the possibility that schools are going to have to start really putting more emphasis on the social aspects of gameday on campus, making parking easier, make wifi better, and at least open up a serious discussion about starting to sell alcohol in the stadiums? Why would you drive several hours, fight traffic on campus, fight horrendous parking, deal with limited wifi, and drop good money on tickets so that you can sit sober through a 40+ point backyard woodshed beating against Northwestern State? When instead you can fire up the grill, grab a sixer, watch your game, and then be able to flip channels to another good game in HD, with replay/analysis, without having to leave your home.

Lastly, and I know there's major backlash whenever this is mentioned, but as a fan wouldn't it be better long term for the SEC to start scheduling more power 5 teams beyond just the 1 required? Or even better, wouldn't it make sense now that there's 14, and I would speculate that within 10 years at least 16 teams in the SEC, to dissolve the divisions and just have an annually rotating SEC Round Robin. It would be fun to see more OM vs. Georgia, or MSU vs. Florida. You could still keep the traditional rivalries, but it would be nice to see some change.

Probably was a bit too long, but I wanted yalls thoughts on all of this.

Bothrops
04-22-2015, 11:05 PM
It may end up being a good game, but Arkansas is a horrible match up for Ole Miss. I could see Upig winning big again.

Todd4State
04-22-2015, 11:35 PM
I've been going to SEC football games for years now, and I don't think the ticket sales are declining at all. We've sold out how many times now? The SEC has more and more 100K plus stadiums- with the likelihood that more will be added on to. Now, people may be buying their tickets through StubHub.

I do think that the typical fan that goes to SEC games has changed over the years. It has become more and more of a middle/upper class crowd at the games- and I think that has made it better as far as atmosphere. Higher ticket prices have weeded out the drunk LSU fans that beat you up because you're not a LSU fan. I think the amenities will continue to improve across the league because it's about having the nicest thing around.

More power five games are good for the SEC in terms of TV- but not to our advantage at MSU. That said, even Saban always has a couple of cupcakes on his schedule. I'm not sure it will go beyond one. And I'll tell you why in the next paragraph.

I don't think the divisions will dissolve. Rather I think it will be almost like two leagues- SEC West and SEC East. It's basically that way now. I agree that they will eventually expand to 16- NC State? Virginia Tech?- and then they will move Missouri to the SEC West. And then I think they will play nine SEC games- seven from your division and then one permanent and then one round robin. There is too much tradition with some of the cross division rivalries- namely Bama/UT and Auburn/Georgia- that I doubt they will do away with them. Back to my point about the power five- the ninth SEC game is essentially another power five game, except with conference implications. Which means it's more exciting than Mississippi State/Nebraska. If they keep the power five rule, they've cut the cupcakes in half so that everyone will probably play two and that will be it. So for us, my guess is it would be one of the in state SWAC schools and then someone like USM/Tulane/Memphis (assuming they aren't in the Big 12)/Louisiana Tech.

As far as our schedule:

LSU will be wild.

Northwestern State is a cupcake.

Troy is a cupcake unless a tornado comes through or we decide to let Jackie coach for the week.

Louisiana Tech is not a bad team at all. They will be in a bowl and it will be a little be interesting since Manny was there last year. I think it will be closer than you may think. This is most likely our annual OOC sloppy game where we barely win.

Kentucky will put up a good fight. I think it will be like last year with a better defensive performance from us. We'll probably win, but it won't be a cake walk.

Alabama- will be completely wild.

Egg Bowl- will be completely wild as well.

RougeDawg
04-23-2015, 12:38 AM
I've been going to SEC football games for years now, and I don't think the ticket sales are declining at all. We've sold out how many times now? The SEC has more and more 100K plus stadiums- with the likelihood that more will be added on to. Now, people may be buying their tickets through StubHub.

I do think that the typical fan that goes to SEC games has changed over the years. It has become more and more of a middle/upper class crowd at the games- and I think that has made it better as far as atmosphere. Higher ticket prices have weeded out the drunk LSU fans that beat you up because you're not a LSU fan. I think the amenities will continue to improve across the league because it's about having the nicest thing around.

More power five games are good for the SEC in terms of TV- but not to our advantage at MSU. That said, even Saban always has a couple of cupcakes on his schedule. I'm not sure it will go beyond one. And I'll tell you why in the next paragraph.

I don't think the divisions will dissolve. Rather I think it will be almost like two leagues- SEC West and SEC East. It's basically that way now. I agree that they will eventually expand to 16- NC State? Virginia Tech?- and then they will move Missouri to the SEC West. And then I think they will play nine SEC games- seven from your division and then one permanent and then one round robin. There is too much tradition with some of the cross division rivalries- namely Bama/UT and Auburn/Georgia- that I doubt they will do away with them. Back to my point about the power five- the ninth SEC game is essentially another power five game, except with conference implications. Which means it's more exciting than Mississippi State/Nebraska. If they keep the power five rule, they've cut the cupcakes in half so that everyone will probably play two and that will be it. So for us, my guess is it would be one of the in state SWAC schools and then someone like USM/Tulane/Memphis (assuming they aren't in the Big 12)/Louisiana Tech.

As far as our schedule:

LSU will be wild.

Northwestern State is a cupcake.

Troy is a cupcake unless a tornado comes through or we decide to let Jackie coach for the week.

Louisiana Tech is not a bad team at all. They will be in a bowl and it will be a little be interesting since Manny was there last year. I think it will be closer than you may think. This is most likely our annual OOC sloppy game where we barely win.

Kentucky will put up a good fight. I think it will be like last year with a better defensive performance from us. We'll probably win, but it won't be a cake walk.

Alabama- will be completely wild.

Egg Bowl- will be completely wild as well.

Todd please spit the hook out. They better be glad they get these weak teams at home. A&M will Beat them. Book it. Unless MGK is half the shadow of BroLocks, they are going to stress that defense beyond its means. I know this is difficult to comprehend at this point but it's coming.

Bears will lose to Auburn, LSU, Bama, A&M, Florida, and State at minimum. Those are givens unless we have a few bus crashes. They could easily lose to Memphis or Fresno, since thee QB has a better chance of hitting a bouncer with his AK than he does a WR with a football. That defense is about to get exposed. Just want to be the first one to mention it.

Todd4State
04-23-2015, 12:44 AM
Todd please spit the hook out. They better be glad they get these weak teams at home. A&M will Beat them. Book it. Unless MGK is half the shadow of BroLocks, they are going to stress that defense beyond its means. I know this is difficult to comprehend at this point but it's coming.

Bears will lose to Auburn, LSU, Bama, A&M, Florida, and State at minimum. Those are givens unless we have a few bus crashes. They could easily lose to Memphis or Fresno, since thee QB has a better chance of hitting a bouncer with his AK than he does a WR with a football. That defense is about to get exposed. Just want to be the first one to mention it.

I think it will be wild regardless of what Ole Miss does because of how last year ended for us and it will be Dak's last home game.

War Machine Dawg
04-23-2015, 02:06 AM
I was looking through all of the schedules of all the SEC West teams earlier, and what stuck out to me most about the Ole Miss schedule aside from the tough road games, was how horrible the home games are just from a fan stand point.

Texas A&M- I think TAMU hangs in for a half, but that defense is so bad that I think A&M is this year's SEC West whipping doll. OM by 2+ scores
LSU- Will be a good game

Of their 7 home games, only 3 are worth getting off the couch, fighting traffic, buying tickets, and basically giving up an entire Saturday.

LSU- Will be a good game
Troy- Won't be close
LA Tech- Won't be close

This is the most exciting schedule MSU has had in a few years, but still only 3 out of the 7 games are legitimately worth getting geeked up over. With nearly a 2 month gap between LSU and Bama.

The only reason I point this out, is that with the SEC Network/increasing number of media outlets starting to pick up more games, coupled with the fact that ticket sales around the SEC are declining. Does it open the possibility that schools are going to have to start really putting more emphasis on the social aspects of gameday on campus, making parking easier, make wifi better, and at least open up a serious discussion about starting to sell alcohol in the stadiums? Why would you drive several hours, fight traffic on campus, fight horrendous parking, deal with limited wifi, and drop good money on tickets so that you can sit sober through a 40+ point backyard woodshed beating against Northwestern State? When instead you can fire up the grill, grab a sixer, watch your game, and then be able to flip channels to another good game in HD, with replay/analysis, without having to leave your home.

Lastly, and I know there's major backlash whenever this is mentioned, but as a fan wouldn't it be better long term for the SEC to start scheduling more power 5 teams beyond just the 1 required? Or even better, wouldn't it make sense now that there's 14, and I would speculate that within 10 years at least 16 teams in the SEC, to dissolve the divisions and just have an annually rotating SEC Round Robin. It would be fun to see more OM vs. Georgia, or MSU vs. Florida. You could still keep the traditional rivalries, but it would be nice to see some change.

The bigger problem is simple: SEC schools have started pricing out the average fan. No longer can one just buy a ticket and/or a package of season tickets. You have to donate to a booster program and pay a per seat license fee. We're one of the cheapest schools in terms of ticket prices, but you'll still pay about $1500 for 3 season tickets by the time it's all said and done. And for those that live outside of same day driving distance you have to throw in the cost of hotel room(s), food, gas, etc. It adds up in a big hurry. Not a lot of people have that kind of money, especially with the shitty economy. Basically, college football has become too big. It's on its way to becoming like the NFL where the real fans are marginalized. It sucks, but the "big business" train for college athletics, particularly football, left the station a long time ago.

Dawg61
04-23-2015, 03:32 AM
Unfortunately alcohol and 30,000 fans wielding cowbells don't mix. Just takes one drunk asshole to spoil it for all of us and now that we don't suck anymore there's 13 other schools just itching to get the bells banned for good. We got lucky to escape the last serious incident relitively unscathed. I fear we won't be so lucky next time.

Aces High
04-23-2015, 07:13 AM
I can assure you it is a problem. Schools are scrambling to try and figure it out but want to make more money. You are basically seeing what nascar went through 14 years ago. They tried to capitalize on the popularity and turned it into a corporate shit show. They alienated true fans and now the tracks are all half empty.

Basically, money ruined that sport and it is ruining cfb. Enjoy the past 10 years and the next few. It is the golden age of college football. Attendance will consistantly drop over the next 2 decades. To combat that, schools will start selling alcohol, free wifi, take out seating for fan zones, etc but it will be too late. Cfb games will become nfl. An upper middle class event with a lot of folks that arent as passionate. Greed is not good but you have to keep up with the Joneses to stay relevant.

Everyone sees it but does nothing to stop it because they want more more more.

FISHDAWG
04-23-2015, 07:49 AM
they don't care about the game - just the party ... don't you know they are undefeated on the party ?

LC Dawg
04-23-2015, 07:51 AM
I can assure you it is a problem. Schools are scrambling to try and figure it out but want to make more money. You are basically seeing what nascar went through 14 years ago. They tried to capitalize on the popularity and turned it into a corporate shit show. They alienated true fans and now the tracks are all half empty.

Basically, money ruined that sport and it is ruining cfb. Enjoy the past 10 years and the next few. It is the golden age of college football. Attendance will consistantly drop over the next 2 decades. To combat that, schools will start selling alcohol, free wifi, take out seating for fan zones, etc but it will be too late. Cfb games will become nfl. An upper middle class event with a lot of folks that arent as passionate. Greed is not good but you have to keep up with the Joneses to stay relevant.

I agree. I've been saying for a few years that cfb is walking a thin line into becoming Nascar. Right now we see schools adding seats and having fantastic crowds at the big games but not even selling out at ooc and even some of the less attractive conference games. I know some of the games that aren't full are technically sellouts but people not showing up is still not a good sign.
The last place team in the SEC West will pay their coach at least $4M this year. To justify that, the school needs them to at least go to a bowl game. They need the 4 weak ooc games so it will only take 2 conference wins to get bowl eligible. If you add tough ooc games to the schedule it gets harder to get bowl eligible and if you don't go to a bowl you have to fire your $4M coach. Then, to make your alumni happy, you want to make a big splash with your next hire so you get someone you have to pay $5M. I hope I'm wrong but I think the money is close to getting out of hand.

Martianlander
04-23-2015, 08:18 AM
I agree. I've been saying for a few years that cfb is walking a thin line into becoming Nascar. Right now we see schools adding seats and having fantastic crowds at the big games but not even selling out at ooc and even some of the less attractive conference games. I know some of the games that aren't full are technically sellouts but people not showing up is still not a good sign.
The last place team in the SEC West will pay their coach at least $4M this year. To justify that, the school needs them to at least go to a bowl game. They need the 4 weak ooc games so it will only take 2 conference wins to get bowl eligible. If you add tough ooc games to the schedule it gets harder to get bowl eligible and if you don't go to a bowl you have to fire your $4M coach. Then, to make your alumni happy, you want to make a big splash with your next hire so you get someone you have to pay $5M. I hope I'm wrong but I think the money is close to getting out of hand.

I agree-coach's salaries are out of control. If they start paying the players more fans are going to revolt. ESPN has too much control over the system. I know the ESPN money is great, but their influence is becoming too much.

thunderclap
04-23-2015, 08:45 AM
The bigger problem is simple: SEC schools have started pricing out the average fan. No longer can one just buy a ticket and/or a package of season tickets. You have to donate to a booster program and pay a per seat license fee. We're one of the cheapest schools in terms of ticket prices, but you'll still pay about $1500 for 3 season tickets by the time it's all said and done. And for those that live outside of same day driving distance you have to throw in the cost of hotel room(s), food, gas, etc. It adds up in a big hurry. Not a lot of people have that kind of money, especially with the shitty economy. Basically, college football has become too big. It's on its way to becoming like the NFL where the real fans are marginalized. It sucks, but the "big business" train for college athletics, particularly football, left the station a long time ago.

This.

Dawgfan61
04-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately alcohol and 30,000 fans wielding cowbells don't mix. Just takes one drunk asshole to spoil it for all of us and now that we don't suck anymore there's 13 other schools just itching to get the bells banned for good. We got lucky to escape the last serious incident relitively unscathed. I fear we won't be so lucky next time.

WTF?? Where in the hell did cowbells come up in this discussion? You posted at 3:32 am so I am assuming you were out drunk with zMachine Gun Kelly and have no idea what the hell you were talking about.

Dawg61
04-23-2015, 11:11 AM
WTF?? Where in the hell did cowbells come up in this discussion? You posted at 3:32 am so I am assuming you were out drunk with zMachine Gun Kelly and have no idea what the hell you were talking about.

Try reading the first post dipshit. Did you read it or were you out drunk sucking on zMachine Gun Kelly's AK47?

Tripp McNeely
04-23-2015, 11:30 AM

Tack this post to the top of the forum!

TopDog58
04-23-2015, 11:43 AM
As a family of 5 with smaller children, i cant justify or afford going to more than maybe one game a year or maybe the mini pack. Anymore than that is not feasible. Plus it's difficult to plan 7 weekends around soccer, t-ball, baseball, etc.

Im seriously comtemplating just taking the camper up to the horse park for a couple of gsme weekends and enjoying the atmosphere outside the stadium.

smootness
04-23-2015, 11:52 AM
You think Ole Miss is losing 6 at a minimum? Yikes.

TXtoMS
04-23-2015, 12:04 PM

I agree with most of that, but here's the difference between the NFL and CFB. Any given Sunday, every team is also playing another NFL team, and every team has a real chance to lose. That doesn't exist in College football. Over half of the home games SEC teams play are athletically just not capable even with a flawless game plan. I as a fan love the excitement of a good football game. Watching athletic freaks like Dak Prescott, or Robert Nkemdiche plow through 5'11 linemen effortlessly isn't fun after the first few snaps.

hailmari
04-23-2015, 12:46 PM
I'll start being as confident as you with UK when we start blowing them out. Last two games have been tough.

Dawgfan61
04-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Try reading the first post dipshit. Did you read it or were you out drunk sucking on zMachine Gun Kelly's AK47?

I did read the first post dipshit. There is absolutely nothing in it about cowbells. Why bring up cowbells? Do you want them banned? I assume you are saying no to alcohol in the stadium. Because yeah, no student has ever entered DWS with a cowbell and alcohol before??? Our fans have had 1 incident in how many years with cowbells and violence and you go all chicken little on mixing them with alcohol. Grow a pair and get out more.

TUSK
04-23-2015, 01:33 PM

great post... we "poor" Bammer types have been victim to this for a long time, now...

the arrival of Saban, recent success and subsequent explosion of Bandwagoneers (sic), only made things worse...

Dawg61
04-23-2015, 01:36 PM
I did read the first post dipshit. There is absolutely nothing in it about cowbells. Why bring up cowbells? Do you want them banned? I assume you are saying no to alcohol in the stadium. Because yeah, no student has ever entered DWS with a cowbell and alcohol before??? Our fans have had 1 incident in how many years with cowbells and violence and you go all chicken little on mixing them with alcohol. Grow a pair and get out more.

The response was to the idea of allowing alcohol sales inside the stadium. We aren't able to do that when we have 30,000 cowbells in the stadium already. Sorry you're stupid and don't realize I'm PROTECTING the cowbells from dumbasses like you that can't see the end result before it happens. Drink all you want outside the stadium and sneak in a Jack Daniels distillery if it floats your boat but MSU can't sell alcohol.

Aces High
04-23-2015, 01:52 PM
The response was to the idea of allowing alcohol sales inside the stadium. We aren't able to do that when we have 30,000 cowbells in the stadium already. Sorry you're stupid and don't realize I'm PROTECTING the cowbells from dumbasses like you that can't see the end result before it happens. Drink all you want outside the stadium and sneak in a Jack Daniels distillery if it floats your boat but MSU can't sell alcohol.

There already 30,000 drunks in the stadium. There are 5000 every weekend in lfl. No incidents.

Just drop it. Msu will sell alcohol sooner than later. It is on the table. All schools will. Why wouldnt they when folks are already drinking in the game? they can get that revenue. Actually, studies show that selling alcohol at football games decrease violence because idiots arent getting black out at a tailgate when they can buy beer inside.

Youll see alcohol sales at every sec school within 5 years

War Machine Dawg
04-23-2015, 01:53 PM

You said it much better than I did. Well done, sir.
http://i.imgur.com/T40NzdX.gif

Dawg61
04-23-2015, 02:00 PM
There already 30,000 drunks in the stadium. There are 5000 every weekend in lfl. No incidents.

Just drop it. Msu will sell alcohol sooner than later. It is on the table. All schools will. Why wouldnt they when folks are already drinking in the game? they can get that revenue. Actually, studies show that selling alcohol at football games decrease violence because idiots arent getting black out at a tailgate when they can buy beer inside.

Youll see alcohol sales at every sec school within 5 years

No MSU becomes liable once it starts selling alcohol inside a stadium that they know has 30,000 cowbells already in it. I can't understand it for you.

Aces High
04-23-2015, 02:11 PM
No MSU becomes liable once it starts selling alcohol inside a stadium that they know has 30,000 cowbells already in it. I can't understand it for you.

I understand it. You realize a ton of schools sell alcohol at games? Ull and tulane and dozens other. Liability is why they carry insurance.

I cant learn it for you. Youre dead wrong so give it up. If you were right, discussions wouldnt be taking place on alcohol sales in the stadium. They are and have been. It is coming. Soon.

Dawg61
04-23-2015, 02:43 PM
I understand it. You realize a ton of schools sell alcohol at games? Ull and tulane and dozens other. Liability is why they carry insurance.

I cant learn it for you. Youre dead wrong so give it up. If you were right, discussions wouldnt be taking place on alcohol sales in the stadium. They are and have been. It is coming. Soon.

They don't have cowbells. That's the difference. Would you sell alcohol to 30,000 people carrying small wooden bats? If you want cowbells you don't get beer sold to you. If you want beer you don't get to have cowbells. Which do you want more? I want the cowbells.

Aces High
04-23-2015, 02:45 PM
They don't have cowbells. That's the difference. Would you sell alcohol to 30,000 people carrying small wooden bats? If you want cowbells you don't get beer sold to you. If you want beer you don't get to have cowbells. Which do you want more? I want the cowbells.

Both, which will we get. What part of alcohol sales in a stadium DECREASE violence are you not understanding?

Done.

Dawg61
04-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Both, which will we get. What part of alcohol sales in a stadium DECREASE violence are you not understanding?

Done.

That doesn't matter when you sell alcohol to someone with a cowbell that then uses the cowbell for violence. You knowingly sold alcohol to a person holding a cowbell = gigantic lawsuit and banned alcohol AND cowbells. Sorry friend but you're going to have to keep sneaking it in.

Dawgcentral
04-23-2015, 05:11 PM
I'm not getting the cowbell = drunken weapon theory either.

I've seen more fights at football games that didn't involve any cowbell raised in anger than otherwise. Only one time ( in memorial stadium in Jackson), did I see someone try, and fail, to use his cowbell in a fight.

We have enough problems without inventing more.

smootness
04-23-2015, 05:27 PM
His point is not that cowbells are currently a problem. What he's saying is that as things stand now, anyone using a cowbell as a weapon is a problem for the school, but if someone did it after also buying alcohol inside the stadium, that is an exponentially larger problem for the school.

Any drunken cowbell violence now would simply force the school to defend having cowbells since they can claim they don't sell alcohol and allow them in under the premise that everyone is sober.

If drunken cowbell violence results after the school says, 'Yes, you may have a cowbell, and yes, you may also have beer,' that is a massive issue for the school, and far less defensible.

You don't have to agree, but he has a valid argument.

Dawgcentral
04-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Maybe someone will get smothered with a foam finger somewhere and Richard Swartz can use it in as class action lawsuit.

Damn right I don't have to agree. Yeah, there's a point to be made. That why I pay thousands every year in liability insurance. It's a matter of time before someone sues me.

TUSK
04-23-2015, 05:50 PM
I can't wait til Bryant-Dennehy Stadium will serve me and my daughter-niece an ice cold Natty Light!

Dawgcentral
04-23-2015, 06:00 PM
I can't wait til Bryant-Dennehy Stadium will serve me and my daughter-niece an ice cold Natty Light!

Sure Tusk. Your fans just shoot each other after a loss. (Just having some fun with ya) :-)

Dawg61
04-24-2015, 01:52 AM
His point is not that cowbells are currently a problem. What he's saying is that as things stand now, anyone using a cowbell as a weapon is a problem for the school, but if someone did it after also buying alcohol inside the stadium, that is an exponentially larger problem for the school.

Any drunken cowbell violence now would simply force the school to defend having cowbells since they can claim they don't sell alcohol and allow them in under the premise that everyone is sober.

If drunken cowbell violence results after the school says, 'Yes, you may have a cowbell, and yes, you may also have beer,' that is a massive issue for the school, and far less defensible.

Well done smoot, you say it much better than I do.

berr6728
04-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Same will happen with the new baseball stadium. You would think the AD's would have figured it out by now. College Baseball used to be a bluecollar fan's sport but Scott and Cohen now want to go for corporate money instead of the middle income. I will predict you have seen your last physical sellout at MSU baseball. It is a shame to lose the one thing that seperates us from any other college baseball stadium. Every SEC teams players would love to have something like our LFL to play in front of, and here we are destroying our unique atmosphere.

War Machine Dawg
04-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Same will happen with the new baseball stadium. You would think the AD's would have figured it out by now. College Baseball used to be a bluecollar fan's sport but Scott and Cohen now want to go for corporate money instead of the middle income. I will predict you have seen your last physical sellout at MSU baseball. It is a shame to lose the one thing that seperates us from any other college baseball stadium. Every SEC teams players would love to have something like our LFL to play in front of, and here we are destroying our unique atmosphere.

You still going to games or are you waiting for Cohen to be fired? We NEED a new stadium. It's not even debatable.

dawgs
04-25-2015, 10:46 AM

LSU- Will be a good game

LSU- Will be a good game
Troy- Won't be close
LA Tech- Won't be close

Well ticket sales for the conference and the whole country are definitely in the decline, for all the reasons you listed. And schools are trying to solve by improving gameday atmospheres.

And unlike most state fans, I'm all about quality non-conference games instead of scheduling our way to 6 Ws like most our fans seem to prefer.

dawgs
04-25-2015, 10:58 AM

Yeah but the university turns a blind eye to pre-game drinking on campus. There's a lawsuit there too. The university doesn't have officially sell alcohol to potentially be liable for the actions of drunk fans.

BulldogBear
04-25-2015, 10:58 AM
Ticket pricing and donations will continue to rise until the bubble bursts like the housing market. I still have six. One day I may have to cut back to four, then move upstairs, then cut to two, then upgrade my tv and stay home. Right now I'm hanging in there.

I just don't want to become like MLB, half empty stadiums and half the folks there only there because some company owned seats.

Interest in the sport is growing. Interest by the average American in investing several paychecks in season tickets is not.

dawgs
04-25-2015, 11:05 AM

LFL is the greatest thing in the world of baseball IMO. However it's also a potential nightmare for the university. The contraptions are held together by shoestrings and if one were to go, it could easily start a chain reaction with surrounding lounges. I'd love to see a design where the current lounges are turned over to the university and built into a permanent, stable structure to still give the homemade look (and obviously you'd be able to rent out your own lounge for as long as you wanted). But in the end, something has to be done. I'm always surprised that there's not more kids that smash/cut their heads open running thru LFL under the lounges with each lounge having different potentially pratfalls jutting out.

the59dawg
04-25-2015, 12:37 PM

one Sect 4 season tix, = $350 for tix, $495 seat license = $845 per season ticket. plus $110 to park. Getting to be big bucks as said above.

War Machine Dawg
04-25-2015, 01:46 PM
one Sect 4 season tix, = $350 for tix, $495 seat license = $845 per season ticket. plus $110 to park. Getting to be big bucks as said above.

Yep. If you want to sit anywhere other than the goal line or the nosebleed, it's basically unaffordable. The money has gotten out of control.

dawgs
04-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Yep. If you want to sit anywhere other than the goal line or the nosebleed, it's basically unaffordable. The money has gotten out of control.

We've lagged behind the rest of the conference in money for a long time because we were the last to adopt these type of policies. We are playing catch up.

Being from Starkville, I spent 22 years going to damn near every home football, basketball, and baseball games except when my sports interfered, today my parents probably couldn't foot the bill. It sucks, but it's reality.

IMissJack
04-25-2015, 03:58 PM
We've lagged behind the rest of the conference in money for a long time because we were the last to adopt these type of policies. We are playing catch up.

Being from Starkville, I spent 22 years going to damn near every home football, basketball, and baseball games except when my sports interfered, today my parents probably couldn't foot the bill. It sucks, but it's reality.

This is exactly right. Now, more and more out of area alums are going back to games (especially big SEC games). This is who is buying a lot of the season tickets and then selling the ones they don't go to. I live in Houston, TX, and I have 4 season tickets that I sell other than about 2 games a year. I know other alums that live near me that have seats in the endzone suite area, and on the east side chairbacks also.