PDA

View Full Version : Is LSU bankrupt?

FlabLoser
04-22-2015, 10:47 PM
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/lsu_academic_bankruptcy.html

Louisiana's flagship university began putting together the paperwork for declaring financial exigency this week, when the Legislature appeared to make little progress on finding a state budget solution, according to King Alexander, president and chancellor of LSU.

I've thought for years that the cost of university education has to be a bubble that will eventually pop. Something as un-revolutionary as a college degree can't just experience runaway inflation for years on end without bursting.

cheewgumm
04-22-2015, 11:14 PM
Morally....yes.

Irondawg
04-23-2015, 08:06 AM
The status makes it easier for public colleges to shut down programs and lay off tenured faculty, but it also tarnishes the school's reputation, making it harder to recruit faculty and students.

"You'll never get any more faculty," said Alexander, if LSU pursues financial exigency.

Wouldn't really surprise me to see more and more schools do this as schools try to get away from tenure and the inability to control some programs that are pure financial drains.

And trust me, you keep paying professors what a fair amount of them make and you'll still have plenty of applicants. Maybe not the top guys, but odds are you weren't getting many of the top people anyway

BulldogDX55
04-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Gov. Bobby Jindal, who is far more concerned about his Presidential campaign, was far more concerned with his promise of never raising taxes than with the suffering of the people in Louisiana. He made some major cuts to both taxes (on the wealthy and corporations, mostly) and spending, but when oil prices crashed they didn't get anywhere near the revenue they needed to stay solvent. Instead of canceling some of those tax cuts, he decided to bankrupt LSU.

Political Hack
04-23-2015, 08:38 AM
If anyone ever looks at his attendance record for congressional hearings when he served on the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Homeland Security, he's finished.

Johnson85
04-23-2015, 08:44 AM
If anyone ever looks at his attendance record for congressional hearings when he served on the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Homeland Security, he's finished.

I doubt it. Congressmen are pretty overbooked with respect to those things and I think it's pretty common to miss some committee meetings repeatedly. I don't think Jindal is going to make any headway as a presidential candidate, but I wouldn't think his attendance record would be so much more egregious than other congressmen that it would be a major contributor.

Political Hack
04-23-2015, 09:36 AM
I doubt it. Congressmen are pretty overbooked with respect to those things and I think it's pretty common to miss some committee meetings repeatedly. I don't think Jindal is going to make any headway as a presidential candidate, but I wouldn't think his attendance record would be so much more egregious than other congressmen that it would be a major contributor.

They are overbooked... If they're in the district, they're "not working" and if they're in DC working "they're disconnected from their district." However, he was sitting on the Committee on Homeland Security while Louisiana was recovering from Hurricane Katrina and didn't attend the Katrina hearings... I know he missed way more than he made. There were weeks where he didn't attend any. He won't be a serious contender regardless, but his lack of being a true threat from POTUS makes him a possible candidate for VP.

Johnson85
04-23-2015, 09:50 AM
They are overbooked... If they're in the district, they're "not working" and if they're in DC working "they're disconnected from their district." However, he was sitting on the Committee on Homeland Security while Louisiana was recovering from Hurricane Katrina and didn't attend the Katrina hearings... I know he missed way more than he made. There were weeks where he didn't attend any. He won't be a serious contender regardless, but his lack of being a true threat from POTUS makes him a possible candidate for VP.

If I were going to bet on a vp candidate right now, I would bet on Fiorina or Jindal. Wouldn't think those two cover 50% of the odds or anything, but they both bring some legitimate advantages to the table electorally and neither are probably legitimate threats to win the primary.

Political Hack
04-23-2015, 01:14 PM
If I were going to bet on a vp candidate right now, I would bet on Fiorina or Jindal. Wouldn't think those two cover 50% of the odds or anything, but they both bring some legitimate advantages to the table electorally and neither are probably legitimate threats to win the primary.

I don't know... a Florida governor or popular Congressman would go a long ways towards winning the electoral college. If I were running the campaign, it would be pretty difficult to pass on that opportunity.

dawgs
04-23-2015, 01:23 PM
The status makes it easier for public colleges to shut down programs and lay off tenured faculty, but it also tarnishes the school's reputation, making it harder to recruit faculty and students.

"You'll never get any more faculty," said Alexander, if LSU pursues financial exigency.

Wouldn't really surprise me to see more and more schools do this as schools try to get away from tenure and the inability to control some programs that are pure financial drains.

And trust me, you keep paying professors what a fair amount of them make and you'll still have plenty of applicants. Maybe not the top guys, but odds are you weren't getting many of the top people anyway

It's not the professors that are causing the financial problems, it's the amount of support staff at a lot of universities. This number has skyrocketed far faster than tenure professorships and the pay rate increases for professors.

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ib156

LanceHarbor
04-23-2015, 01:52 PM
It's not the professors that are causing the financial problems, it's the amount of support staff at a lot of universities. This number has skyrocketed far faster than tenure professorships and the pay rate increases for professors.

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ib156

This

Political Hack
04-23-2015, 02:13 PM
This

How's your knee?