PDA

View Full Version : WOW!!! Which Ole Miss employee paid Sallee to write this?

ShotgunDawg
04-22-2015, 11:20 AM
It always amazes me how these types of articles start making the rounds this time of year.

How many years will we have to finish ahead of Ole Miss in the SEC standings before people FINALLY get it?

The short shortsightedness & lack of perspective that the author displays in this article is disturbing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2439116-why-ole-miss-has-more-staying-power-than-mississippi-state

thunderclap
04-22-2015, 11:25 AM
How many years will we have to finish ahead of Ole Miss in the SEC standings before people FINALLY get it?

Whatever number it is by the end of November it'll be one more.

Covercorner2
04-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Basically everything in that article centers around one thing- recruiting. New year, same hype. Rinse and repeat. (Enter VoiceOfReason).

Beaver
04-22-2015, 11:30 AM
"Add in edge threat and known commodity Jaylen Walton and whatever running threat the quarterback brings to the table, and the Rebels offense will be terrifying."

You serious bro?

ShotgunDawg
04-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Basically everything in that article centers around one thing- recruiting. New year, same hype. Rinse and repeat. (Enter VoiceOfReason).

Agree, at some point you would think that we would move on to other things, like QB development.

Did Sallee not watch our Spring game the other day and say, "WOW Nick Fitzgerald looks like another legitimate SEC QB." MSU may be good for a while.

Does he not realize how difficult it is for a Top 25 recruiting team with solid to above average QB play to be a bad team?

That is MSU right now. We aren't elite recruiters, but as long as Dan is here and he is developing QBs at this rate, while also recruiting in the Top 25, it's going to be really difficult for us not to be a solid team with a chance to contend.

maroonmania
04-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Agree, at some point you would think that we would move on to other things, like QB development.

Did Sallee not watch our Spring game the other day and say, "WOW Nick Fitzgerald looks like another legitimate SEC QB." MSU may be good for a while.

Does he not realize how difficult it is for a Top 25 recruiting team with solid to above average QB play to be a bad team?

That is MSU right now. We aren't elite recruiters, but as long as Dan is here and he is developing QBs at this rate, while also recruiting in the Top 25, it's going to be really difficult for us not to be a solid team with a chance to contend.

There is no college football "analyst" out there that puts more stock into recruiting rankings on how he thinks a team will perform than Barrett Sallee. That guy has his head buried so deep in HS star rankings that he is pretty oblivious to anything else. He is absolutely the worst I know of on this issue.

Really Clark?
04-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Yancy wrote the article, he just put his name to it. Or it seems like it. 90% of a comparative article between the two programs has the writer waxing poetic about just one school. Yes this is legitimate.***

BeardoMSU
04-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Rinse/repeat.

Guys, don't lose your shit over this, please. So the 17 what if the esteemed Barrett Sallee thinks this, or any other sports "journalist/analyst", for that matter. What has changed? They slept on us last year, they'll sleep on us this year. Its just a puff piece that the OM faithful can rub one out to.

http://www.vaq34.com/junk/gifs/nickleson%20jack%20off.gif

Liverpooldawg
04-22-2015, 11:50 AM
It's Bleacher Report. Yawn.

DancingRabbit
04-22-2015, 11:53 AM
He's trolling Bulldog fans. According to him, Dan's been on the hot seat or about to jump to a bigger program for 4 years.

smootness
04-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Articles like this are written entirely for clicks and emotional responses, and that's exactly what you're falling into.

Ask yourself one simple question - why would any non-Mississippi-based writer compare State and Ole Miss and force themselves to state an opinion on which would stick around longer? Why not State vs. Missouri? Or TCU? It's because State and Ole Miss fans will react more strongly to this article.

He writes for Bleacher Report. Who cares?

Covercorner2
04-22-2015, 12:21 PM
"Depth all over the place." Yea man, so much depth that they almost scrapped the Spring Game all together because they are so thin on the O-Line. So much depth that they moved their starting DE to MLB out of necessity. So much depth that Jeremy Liggins is playing offensive tackle at 6'3 270. So much depth that they had to bring in a JUCo QB with baggage. Lol.

Really Clark?
04-22-2015, 12:23 PM
I just wonder which fan or coach of ours he caught with his mom and wife? He has not tried hide his biased slant against us for a while now.

RougeDawg
04-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Do we have to revisit the reasons the Bears are pumped up every off season again? As we know their fan base Istre delusional And out of touch with reality than the Branch Davidian cult members. These writers and website operators also understand their delusions of grandeur. Coupled with the historic willingness of that pathetic fan base to spend ungodly amounts of cash to cheat and read about how much their cheating has paid off, via recruiting class or off season touting, mainly because of said recruiting classes. This is the only time they truly shine and can make an attempt to claim superiority. But in reality they have consistently finished behind us in the SEC despite them "out recruiting" is. To me this is a direct indictment of their coaching staff having perceived more talent, yet finishing behind us in the standings. Sally and these other imbeciles are just trying to pay the rent by extorting the delusionals of the words. Hell most of us probably do some sort of pandering in our jobs to increase revenues.

Don't take these to heart because reality will once again slap them across their faces, just above their ascots, in September when Paidwell chooses the draft over playing, big softie plays half ass, and the inept offense exposes the lack of depth they have on defense. There are so many items in his piece that are a complete 180 of reality. Let them have theoretic. They might want to book the same rooms for the Memphis game and Liberty Bowl this year.

Really Clark?
04-22-2015, 12:25 PM
"Depth all over the place." Yea man, so much depth that they almost scrapped the Spring Game all together because they are so thin on the O-Line. So much depth that they moved their starting DE to MLB out of necessity. So much depth that Jeremy Liggins is playing offensive tackle at 6'3 270. So much depth that they had to bring in a JUCo QB with baggage. Lol.

Didn't you read the part that because of their depth at DL they moved Johnson to MLB. It didn't have anything to do with how thin they are at LB***. You can get pretty dizzy from all of that spin.

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-22-2015, 12:26 PM
I hate this time of year. All you will read about until SEC media days is "which school has the best looking professors", "which SEC school has the most parking spaces on campus", "Ranking the SEC coaches wives shoe size 1-14", "What SEC coach has the most nose and ear hair" and bullshit like this. Absolutely hate this time of year.

Treemydawg
04-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Hooooollllllyyyy shit, I thought I was having a bad day, and then I read that article and realized nothing could be as bad or worse than the persons life who wrote that shit.

TrapGame
04-22-2015, 12:29 PM
I read that whole article and lost 10 points of IQ. I hope Sallee wiped his chin after writing this.

Covercorner2
04-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Didn't you read the part that because of their depth at DL they moved Johnson to MLB. It didn't have anything to do with how thin they are at LB***. You can get pretty dizzy from all of that spin.

Yea he conveniently didn't even discuss the LB core...

ShotgunDawg
04-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Articles like this are written entirely for clicks and emotional responses, and that's exactly what you're falling into.

Ask yourself one simple question - why would any non-Mississippi-based writer compare State and Ole Miss and force themselves to state an opinion on which would stick around longer? Why not State vs. Missouri? Or TCU? It's because State and Ole Miss fans will react more strongly to this article.

He writes for Bleacher Report. Who cares?

Can we get past this?

Sallee gets thousands of hits with every article he writes, & it isn't contingent upon MSU people clicking on it.

If you don't want to discuss the article, then don't respond to the post, as all your post does is bog down the discussion.

With every article that isn't pro MSU, there is always one person that posts your what you said. I honestly don't get it

Really Clark?
04-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Yea he conveniently didn't even discuss the LB core...

Nope nor did he go in depth with the offensive line. But that outstanding 9-19 passing for 104 yards was mentioned by MGC. Both our QB's had better stats at half than any of their guys for the whole game. Heck you had to add all of their yardage together to try and match Dak or Fitz. And that combined 40% pass percentage, just amazing to watch those QB's work.

ShotgunDawg
04-22-2015, 12:44 PM
I hate this time of year. All you will read about until SEC media days is "which school has the best looking professors", "which SEC school has the most parking spaces on campus", "Ranking the SEC coaches wives shoe size 1-14", "What SEC coach has the most nose and ear hair" and bullshit like this. Absolutely hate this time of year.

I agree 100%. This is the worst time of year.

Reality is distorted in favor of delusional dreams.

Also, this time of year is always bad for MSU, because writers don't want to talk about Xs & Os and actual football. They want to talk about recruiting rankings, prettiest campuses, hottest coeds, etc.. and they allow those things to influence their perspective on actual football.

MSU is boring to those guys because Dak is a known quantity & we are boring. Everyone knows we are going to be good, but we'll be good in a boring, non exciting way. They hate that.

Political Hack
04-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Mullen is interested in taking over as Freeze's OC.***

maroonmania
04-22-2015, 12:50 PM
He is a walking enigma. He thinks MSU is going to take a step back because of what we lost last year. But the primary guys we lost that he's talking about were mostly lightly recruited (McKinney, PSmith, JRob, MJohnson, JLove, Day, Beckwith, Clausell, Wells, etc.) and in almost all cases we have higher rated recruits replacing them. So since he's all about recruiting rankings and not much else he should think we will be even better. I think the only 4 star level HS recruit that we lost to graduation was Kaleb Eulls.

Political Hack
04-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Stars don't matter. Football players do and we did lose a good bit of those. The thing is the guys behind them are more talented on the top end and deeper at every position with the possible exception of not having someone able to replace Matt Wells.

Thick
04-22-2015, 01:17 PM

That pretty much sums it up!

Martianlander
04-22-2015, 01:26 PM
I read that whole article and lost 10 points of IQ. I hope Sallee wiped his chin after writing this.
Off subject but just noticed your logo. Best yet.

sandwolf
04-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Didn't you read the part that because of their depth at DL they moved Johnson to MLB. It didn't have anything to do with how thin they are at LB***.

Haha, that jumped off the page at me too.

FlabLoser
04-22-2015, 01:35 PM
For starters he didn't bother discussing or even thinking about MSU position groups. That article was as one-sided as it gets.

Sallee has been a Freeze fan from day 1.

Sallee has been a Mullen hater from day 1. He's got Mullen on the hot seat almost every year.

BulldogDX55
04-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Stars don't matter. Football players do and we did lose a good bit of those. The thing is the guys behind them are more talented on the top end and deeper at every position with the possible exception of not having someone able to replace Matt Wells.

Isn't JT Gray a similar type of guy?

smootness
04-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Can we get past this?

Sallee gets thousands of hits with every article he writes, & it isn't contingent upon MSU people clicking on it.

If you don't want to discuss the article, then don't respond to the post, as all your post does is bog down the discussion.

With every article that isn't pro MSU, there is always one person that posts your what you said. I honestly don't get it

No, of course every article is not contingent on MSU people clicking on it. But if he's trying to increase the spread of his readership, what better way than to pick a big rivalry and opine that one will be better than the other?

My point is that Sallee probably doesn't even fully believe everything he just wrote in that article. He stated a clear opinion so that he could get one side beating their chest and posting it everywhere and the other side saying, 'This is so ridiculous!!! Ugh!!!!!' and....posting it everywhere. So by doing exactly that, you're responding to an opinion that he probably doesn't fully have to begin with and are simply helping him out.

It's what drives much of online media. If he came out and wrote an article about State/OM and the conclusion was, 'Both will be pretty good next year and have a chance to be better in the future than they have been, but time will tell which will ultimately come out ahead,' not as many people would read it and certainly no one would run hear screaming about it.

I'm just saying to calm down and not go nuts over it. All that does is make him more likely to do something similar in the future.

Political Hack
04-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Isn't JT Gray a similar type of guy?

He is in some ways, but no one will replicate Well's speed out there. Gray may actually make more plays between the tackles than Wells, but I can't see him shutting down those hybrid type TEs, covering the flats, or protecting the corner on some sweeps as well as Wells.

FlabLoser
04-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Sallee's 2014 prediction for MSU:

------------

Prediction: 7-5 (3-5 SEC), Birmingham Bowl

Mississippi State will be competitive in many of its big SEC games, but it won't take the next step and either compete for the division or have an impact on the division's outcome. Losses to LSU, Texas A&M, Auburn, Alabama and Ole Miss won't sit well, but Mullen will still have the program going in the right direction. It just won't take a gigantic leap this year.

LC Dawg
04-22-2015, 01:54 PM
My favorite part of the article - "junior college transfer Chad Kelly was the standout of the Grove Bowl, completing nine of his 19 passes for 104 yards,". I'm not sure the author fully comprehends the meaning of the word standout.

Really Clark?
04-22-2015, 02:11 PM
He is in some ways, but no one will replicate Well's speed out there. Gray may actually make more plays between the tackles than Wells, but I can't see him shutting down those hybrid type TEs, covering the flats, or protecting the corner on some sweeps as well as Wells.

Don't forget Jung coming this fall. He has the potential to duplicate some of the things that Wells could do. But Wells was very unique with his speed and being able to translate his ability into outstanding coverage skills for a LB.

ScoobaDawg
04-22-2015, 02:25 PM
It's Bleacher Report. Yawn.

exactly...dont even give him the page hits.

Bothrops
04-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Shackelford was a lb?? Who knew..

EAVdog
04-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Click Bait...

It works.

They have WR's a plenty but no proven QB. And until I see otherwise I will never believe that they will have a significant running game. Freeze loves the double reverse five yards from the goal line way too much. I think a simple run up the middle just isn't his thing.

No way either QB comes in and is as productive as Wallace was in his 3rd year. I'd feel the same way about us if Dak has decided to go pro. Sure I'd be optimistic about Fitz but he's not going to match Dak's numbers.

BulldogBear
04-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Rinse/repeat.

Guys, don't lose your shit over this, please. So the 17 what if the esteemed Barrett Sallee thinks this, or any other sports "journalist/analyst", for that matter. What has changed? They slept on us last year, they'll sleep on us this year. Its just a puff piece that the OM faithful can rub one out to.

http://www.vaq34.com/junk/gifs/nickleson%20jack%20off.gif

Yes, typical preseason hype of Ole Miss and MSu sux, etc. I love being under the radar again. Seriously, after last year? Okay, I'll take it. After we beat LSU, LSU will suck. Okay, all the better for when we go into TAMU and Auburn. We do better with the chip anyway. Always have.

GreenheadDawg
04-22-2015, 03:59 PM
I think we all know this guy is a complete joke. I mean if you want to go by how players looked in a ****ing spring game then we are definitely going to win the Nat'l championship. What a douche

Howboutdemdogs
04-22-2015, 04:26 PM
No doubt about it. OM has a spin working in the media. In fact, the B/R is full of press stories on OM. Also, go to ESPN Champ Drive, multiple stories on OM, but not one on our spring game. Maybe we need to investigate on the value of having a propaganda department full time. OM has fooled North America. I must admit, not only do they give degrees as medical doctors, but they must give degrees as spin doctors too.

gravedigger
04-22-2015, 06:16 PM
It always amazes me how these types of articles start making the rounds this time of year.

The short shortsightedness & lack of perspective that the author displays in this article is disturbing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2439116-why-ole-miss-has-more-staying-power-than-mississippi-state

My guess is it could be worse. We could have these perpetually inaccurate reporters predicting us to do well.

I prefer the way it is. This time of year is just fine with me. I'm familiar with the team I pull for. I don't need Sallee to affirm what I already know. The piece is just fluff. I hope he does an expanded version of that very same thing just prior to the season starting.

If OM does well, he'll quote the article over and over. If they don't he'll find the injury to the holder for extra points the pivotal moment as a fitting excuse.

Bottom line he's and Auburn fan and they are going to be good. What we need to do is mash their hopes when we play them. With the egg in Starkville this year, I don't think OM will have much to crow about going into that game.

justwin
04-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Bottom line he's and Auburn fan and they are going to be good. What we need to do is mash their hopes when we play them. With the egg in Starkville this year, I don't think OM will have much to crow about going into that game.

This.

Msu is 4-2 vs OM in last 6. 2-2 vs auburn with 2 last minute losses at aub with several questionable calls. So, MSU is better than both of these teams, consistently. All 4 of those losses were on the road. Expect these type of articles from the worse team. He doesn't write these about OM can't beat auburn so they stay in their rightful place.

More importantly, Mullen is a better recruiter than both OM & aub. People mislabel it as "development".

BulldogBear
04-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Sallee's 2014 prediction for MSU:

------------

Prediction: 7-5 (3-5 SEC), Birmingham Bowl

Mississippi State will be competitive in many of its big SEC games, but it won't take the next step and either compete for the division or have an impact on the division's outcome. Losses to LSU, Texas A&M, Auburn, Alabama and Ole Miss won't sit well, but Mullen will still have the program going in the right direction. It just won't take a gigantic leap this year.

This made me roar with laughter. WT17 was that last year then? Before last year Mullen had never beaten anybody. Now we still haven't taken the next step***

smootness
04-22-2015, 08:30 PM
This made me roar with laughter. WT17 was that last year then? Before last year Mullen had never beaten anybody. Now we still haven't taken the next step***

That was his prediction for last year.

BulldogBear
04-22-2015, 08:35 PM
That was his prediction for last year.

SPOIL

Well, I wouldn't have been surprised had it been recent. It still sounds exactly like something he would say going into THIS year.

ShotgunDawg
04-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Amazing how the momentum and perceptions start to come out this time of year.

Uneducated Booger strikes again in response to Aschoff's article

Edward Aschoff ‏@AschoffESPN 25m25 minutes ago
Dak Prescott returns with unfinished business #HailState http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/100712/dak-prescott-returned-to-make-mississippi-state-better …

User Actions
Following

Booger
‏@SECbooger
@AschoffESPN wish he could being that front 7 from last year with him ��

Edward Aschoff ‏@AschoffESPN 19m19 minutes ago
@SECbooger Verrrrrry true

Bud Elliott ‏@TomahawkNation 18m18 minutes ago
@AschoffESPN @SECbooger yeah. That felt like Mississippi State's Wake Forest 2006 type year.

What is Booger talking about?

I always find it amazing that media tends to always pin the reason for our success on the one thing we lost from last year, thus allowing them say we will stink. Ludicrous