PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else uneasy about this?

gravedigger
04-21-2015, 10:25 PM
That?s What He Said: Dan Mullen on what Dak Prescott is working on this offseason ? ?You want to see his ability to get to second, third and fourth progressions, make throws, make off-balance throws, throws on the run, unorthodox throws, changing arm angles to get around linemen. Things that take some experience. The biggest one right now is here?s a guy that knows what it takes on the field to go out there and win.?

It doesnt sound too bad at first but i dont think Dak is a 4th progression type. Maybe against weaker teams. But vs the sec, he needs to run or throwit away after the 3rd and maybe the 2nd prog.

Again, not an awful thought, but it seems.....inconsistant with Dak's strengths and any sec's offensive line considering how great the defensive line talent is in the sec.

Thoughts?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-21-2015, 10:27 PM
If he wants to become a 1st rd pick at QB or a NFL QB period he's going to have to show that. Why wouldn't he want dak to improve in all aspects of his game?

BulldogBear
04-21-2015, 10:27 PM
delete - DP

BulldogBear
04-21-2015, 10:29 PM
We need to be prepared to have stuff that has him moving not stuck in the dang pocket when we face the better defenses. More rollouts and such. His feet are what serves him best as a threat. No time for a 4th progression. They'll have to account for his feet. Move, 2-3 progressions and if it ain't there.... Bye bye baby.

TUSK
04-21-2015, 10:29 PM
That?s What He Said: Dan Mullen on what Dak Prescott is working on this offseason ? ?You want to see his ability to get to second, third and fourth progressions, make throws, make off-balance throws, throws on the run, unorthodox throws, changing arm angles to get around linemen. Things that take some experience. The biggest one right now is here?s a guy that knows what it takes on the field to go out there and win.?

It doesnt sound too bad at first but i dont think Dak is a 4th progression type. Maybe against weaker teams. But vs the sec, he needs to run or throwit away after the 3rd and maybe the 2nd prog.

Again, not an awful thought, but it seems.....inconsistant with Dak's strengths and any sec's offensive line considering how great the defensive line talent is in the sec.

Thoughts?

I see what you're gettin at, Digger... Dak strikes me as being most effective taking off running prior to a 3rd progression... also, it seems late to be messing with a cat's throwin' motion... although, it may just be a slight "tweaking" and not whole-sale changes...

bulldawg28
04-21-2015, 10:35 PM
No. This is what advanced Qbs work on.....Every situation that could happen within a play.

Todd4State
04-22-2015, 12:15 AM
Dak is the best MSU QB that I have ever seen and he makes plays regardless. But to my untrained eye, there are times where he misses reads and things like that. Last Dan was on ESPN and illustrated a play against Texas A&M in 2013 where this happened. Dak went with the check down to the RB and it was a successful play for 5-6 yards, which is good- but Dan noted that Dak had missed a wide open H-back who was uncovered and would have walked in untouched for a TD.

I think all Dan was saying was that Dak needs to master the offense- I think he referred to it as the "higher level things". Dan talked about Dak using his eyes more to manipulate a defense and things like that as well. Dak had 11 INT's last year, and I bet most of those were either on fades in the red zone, back shoulder throws that were jumped because other teams knew it was coming, etc. If Dak can cut the INT's in half, that's even better for us. Not that he was bad by any means- but there is always room for improvement.

dawgs
04-22-2015, 12:37 AM

Thoughts?

You are overthinking it. Obviously we don't want dak throwing with different arm angles and off balance normally, but sometimes a play has to be made and great QBs have the ability to do things like sling it side arm under a leaping defenders arms to an open receiver. Likewise, we don't want dak sitting in the pocket taking sacks while trying to make a 4th read, but great QBs can balance checking down to their 3rd or 4th read and taking off running depending on D is giving them. It's all about taking in a lot of information and making split second decision. We want dak to continue to improve is all. He was very very very good last year, but towards the end of the season, some of his decision making prevented him from being great.

Coach34
04-22-2015, 07:23 AM
I just want Wilson catching at least 5 balls every week- I dont give a shit which number in the progression that is.

State82
04-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Mullen said in an interview with Bo Bounds several weeks ago that, at this stage, Dak isn't going to make big leaps from last season. It's going to be little things they are working on, fine-tuning, tweaking, etc. Similar to what was stated above.

codeDawg
04-22-2015, 09:03 AM
He was very very very good last year, but towards the end of the season, some of his decision making prevented him from being great.

He also couldn't move around as well after the UK game, which hindered his ability to make plays on his own.

DanDority
04-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Dak is the best MSU QB that I have ever seen and he makes plays regardless. But to my untrained eye, there are times where he misses reads and things like that. Last Dan was on ESPN and illustrated a play against Texas A&M in 2013 where this happened. Dak went with the check down to the RB and it was a successful play for 5-6 yards, which is good- but Dan noted that Dak had missed a wide open H-back who was uncovered and would have walked in untouched for a TD.

I think all Dan was saying was that Dak needs to master the offense- I think he referred to it as the "higher level things". Dan talked about Dak using his eyes more to manipulate a defense and things like that as well. Dak had 11 INT's last year, and I bet most of those were either on fades in the red zone, back shoulder throws that were jumped because other teams knew it was coming, etc. If Dak can cut the INT's in half, that's even better for us. Not that he was bad by any means- but there is always room for improvement.

Nailed it!