PDA

View Full Version : OT: Interesting article on drug enforcement in Oxford

lefty96
04-21-2015, 07:32 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/albertsamaha/mississippi-cops-are-using-college-kids-as-drug-informants#.hmoM3NlY4

starkvegasdawg
04-21-2015, 07:59 AM
I thought drug enforcement in Oxford was that they enforced everybody having some. At a traffic stop the cop goes to the window and asks for license and proof of insurance and a dime bag.

BrunswickDawg
04-21-2015, 08:08 AM
This sounds familiar:
"If Ole Miss doesn't know, it's because they're willfully blind and they don't want to know," said one local defense attorney

lefty96
04-21-2015, 08:12 AM
This sounds familiar:
"If Ole Miss doesn't know, it's because they're willfully blind and they don't want to know," said one local defense attorney

That line stuck out in my head as well.

starkvegasdawg
04-21-2015, 08:37 AM
This one is sure to not sit well with the bears either:

The university’s informal name, Ole Miss, is said to originate from what slaves called a plantation owner’s mistress.

They still try to deny that little tidbit.

TheVoiceofReason
04-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Ugh, with our arrest history this offseason throwing stones should not be an activity we participate in at this time.

TimberBeast
04-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Ugh, with our arrest history this offseason throwing stones should not be an activity we participate in at this time.

Mods I'm not sure this guy is even trying to hide it.

TheVoiceofReason
04-21-2015, 09:14 AM
What should I be trying to hide? Sorry if I'm missing something but I don't think anything I posted is not fact! I understand the fact that some of you live with your head in the sand but with the offseason we've had the last thing we should be doing is pointing at others. Clean our own house first.
Ya'll can whine to the mods if you choose and they can ban me if they choose but I see reality!

Liverpooldawg
04-21-2015, 09:26 AM
Reb or a Sixpacker.

Lloyd Christmas
04-21-2015, 10:13 AM
What should I be trying to hide? Sorry if I'm missing something but I don't think anything I posted is not fact! I understand the fact that some of you live with your head in the sand but with the offseason we've had the last thing we should be doing is pointing at others. Clean our own house first.
Ya'll can whine to the mods if you choose and they can ban me if they choose but I see reality!

Bear.

1bigdawg
04-21-2015, 10:17 AM

I agree completely. As a Rebel, you should not be throwing stones. That is obvious from the article.

RougeDawg
04-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Reb or a Sixpacker.

Quite likely a packer, possibly a six packer, but definitely a Bearshart.

Cabo32
04-21-2015, 12:32 PM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/albertsamaha/mississippi-cops-are-using-college-kids-as-drug-informants#.hmoM3NlY4

Damn..crazy story. Kind of feel bad for the guy..like his dad said, all these decisions because of 12 grams of pot. The worst they could've done was write him a citation for having less than 1/4 oz of weed

RossDawg82
04-21-2015, 01:04 PM
If you guys don't think this goes on in Starkville you are crazy. I know for fact it does, because I had an agent try to get me to be a snitch. They found a joint in the ash trey and the jackass tried to say I could be looking at "TIME" if I didn't help. Not all cops are idiots like this one in Starkville, but for me to believe that I was doing serious time for a joint was laughable

Lloyd Christmas
04-21-2015, 01:08 PM
If you guys don't think this goes on in Starkville you are crazy. I know for fact it does, because I had an agent try to get me to be a snitch. They found a joint in the ash trey and the jackass tried to say I could be looking at "TIME" if I didn't help. Not all cops are idiots like this one in Starkville, but for me to believe that I was doing serious time for a joint was laughable

Yea that's laughable. All over friggin weed.

War Machine Dawg
04-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Quite likely a packer, possibly a six packer, but definitely a Bearshart.

I see what you did there. I laughed.

Cabo32
04-21-2015, 01:25 PM

The first and only time I got busted for pot..the cops brought me in..very similar situation to the guy in the story..I was 18..small amount of weed on me..no prior arrests..also, I was never placed under arrest..

Anyways..they brought me in, asked who/where I bought it..told me I was in deep shit and all that nonsense...when I asked if I could make a phone call they put on a show and got all pissed..pretty much trying to scare me into what they wanted..never once did they tell me I was free to go and didn't have to answer any questions..I was young/dumb and didn't know my rights..well I just sucked it up and prepared to face the wrath of my dad..I called him up and told him the story..the first thing he told me to do was to ask the police if I was under arrest and if so not to say a word until I got a lawyer...his last words before I got off the phone was if I wasn't under arrest was to tell the cops to have a nice day and walk out. When I asked the cops they told me I wasn't but I was facing some "serious" charges..I told them to have a nice day and I went about my way...funny thing is..my dad was more pissed at me for not knowing my rights

RossDawg82
04-21-2015, 01:31 PM
The first and only time I got busted for pot..the cops brought me in..very similar situation to the guy in the story..I was 18..small amount of weed on me..no prior arrests..also, I wasn't under arrest..

Anyways..they brought me in, asked who/where I bought it..told me I was in deep shit..when I asked if I could make a phone call they put on a show and got all pissed..pretty much trying to scare me into what they wanted..never once did they tell me I was free to go and didn't have to answer any questions..I was young/dumb and didn't know my rights..well I just sucked it up and prepared to face the wrath of my dad..I called him up and told him the story..the first thing he told me to do was to ask the police if I was under arrest and if so not to say a word until I got a lawyer...his last words before I got off the phone was if I wasn't under arrest was to tell the cops to have a nice day and walk out. When I asked the cops they told me I wasn't but I was facing some "serious" charges..I told them to have a nice day and I went about my way...funny thing is...I never heard from them again

They didn't even bring me in. I remember like it was yesterday. They said "you look like you know a lot of people in this town, so if you want these charges(one joint) to go away, you need to work with us. They said I would remain 100% anonymous, even though I asked what happens if they want to face their accuser". It is sad that they would prey on young kids for something like weed. Now with all that is going on with spice, yeah I would be all for them using it on spice, or blow. But not weed. Come On MAN

Lloyd Christmas
04-21-2015, 02:06 PM
They didn't even bring me in. I remember like it was yesterday. They said "you look like you know a lot of people in this town, so if you want these charges(one joint) to go away, you need to work with us. They said I would remain 100% anonymous, even though I asked what happens if they want to face their accuser". It is sad that they would prey on young kids for something like weed. Now with all that is going on with spice, yeah I would be all for them using it on spice, or blow. But not weed. Come On MAN

Ditto. Why kids smoke spice is beyond me

FlabLoser
04-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Ditto. Why kids smoke spice is beyond me

Go ask NAFOOM. They've had threads about the virtues of spice.

DistrictDawg92
04-21-2015, 02:51 PM
This goes on in Starkville just as bad or worse. Ruin a kids life just because he wants to smoke a little bowl every now and then, which happens to be perfectly legal in other states in our country.

LanceHarbor
04-21-2015, 03:14 PM

Effing BS. Trying to ruin people's lives to justify their own existence.

Cabo32
04-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Effing BS. Trying to ruin people's lives to justify their own existence.

They're getting paid because others fear what will happen to them..even though there are few/if any legal ramifications...kinda sounds like the mafia

War Machine Dawg
04-21-2015, 06:45 PM
This goes on in Starkville just as bad or worse. Ruin a kids life just because he wants to smoke a little bowl every now and then, which happens to be perfectly legal in other states in our country.

But it's still illegal federally. Don't get on your high horse like it's some clear cut issue. I've worked in a DA's office and I can say that while legalizing pot would reduce our workload and take some stress off the system, I also firmly believe it's a gateway drug. I would be incredibly concerned that legalizing marijuana would lead to an increase in the number of hard drug cases we see.

Sorry if I'm reading too much into your post. If so, my apologies. And a preemptive "my bad" for taking this thread even marginally political.

DistrictDawg92
04-21-2015, 07:33 PM
But it's still illegal federally. Don't get on your high horse like it's some clear cut issue. I've worked in a DA's office and I can say that while legalizing pot would reduce our workload and take some stress off the system, I also firmly believe it's a gateway drug. I would be incredibly concerned that legalizing marijuana would lead to an increase in the number of hard drug cases we see.

Sorry if I'm reading too much into your post. If so, my apologies. And a preemptive "my bad" for taking this thread even marginally political.

I'm not getting on my high horse. All I'm saying is that it's sad that the government uses a kids life to their disposal so that they can catch another college student that is selling weed. And don't think for a second that the dealer who was ratted on doesn't know who did it or atleast have a suspicion, which honestly puts the rat's well being in jeopardy. My main point is that they are ruining a kid's life with threats of maximum penalty if they don't rat when, in the end, it's just a plant that is considered legal in other parts of the country.
Yes I do agree that marijuana is a gateway drug, but so is alcohol. The kids who want to smoke, will find it, legal or not. The kids who don't want to smoke, won't, legal or not. Just like the kids who don't want to drink don't, although it's legal.

RossDawg82
04-21-2015, 07:42 PM
There are some very large circles that believe the "war on drugs" was a racist war to begin with. I understand if they use kids to get to the "big" dealers, but using kids to bust someone else by selling a dime bag.... If you think that's right, 1. You have never smoked good pot before. 2. Are very unhappy with you life. 3. Just a piece of shit who loves to see others misery.
If pot is that big a deal to local law enforcement then they need to reduce staff because that's our tax dollars at work.

BossDawg
04-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Drug activity is indeed alive and well in every college town, but it's becoming pretty rampant in Oxford. They have a main artery connected to Memphis, which is a huge distribution hub for traffickers....and you better believe they are well aware of the business opportunities just down the road. My brother in law works for North MS Narcotics and although he won't go into much detail, he will admit that the Oxford/Memphis relationship takes up much of their time.

BoomBoom
04-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Drug busting activity is indeed alive and well in every college town, but it's becoming pretty rampant in Oxford. They have a main artery connected to War on Drugs funding, which is a huge distribution hub for taxpayer dollars....and you better believe they are well aware of the business opportunities just down the road. My brother in law works for North MS Narcotics and although he won't go into much detail, he will admit that the Oxford/Memphis relationship takes up much of their grant applications.

FIFY.