PDA

View Full Version : Could Ole Miss possibly miss a bowl game this year?

Dental Dawg
04-20-2015, 10:58 AM
I was looking at their 2015 schedule and counted W's and L's. Maybe it was wishful thinking, but I could very easily see them going 5 and 7 to 7 and 5.
UT Martin W, Fresno State W, Bama L, Vandy W, Florida W/L, New Mexico State W, Memphis W, A&M W/L, Auburn L, Arkansas L, LSU W/L, MSU L.
With an unproven QB, I think there is a real possibility they could lose the toss up games. Their defense will keep them in most games, but I can't see them winning 9-10 this year.

Saltydog
04-20-2015, 11:05 AM
them in contention for the playoffs and they'll have Quon back. Just ask them, they'll tell you.

TheRef
04-20-2015, 11:05 AM
http://onewanderingsoul.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/anything-is-possible.gif?w=480&h=360

dawgpound
04-20-2015, 11:09 AM
That would be great

thf24
04-20-2015, 11:09 AM
If they can come up with a QB who can take care of the ball and consistently hit screens and short routes, their WR's will take care of the rest and they'll win 8-9. If not, it's quite possible they miss a bowl.

Coach34
04-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Nahhhh- even with shitty QB play and that D- they should go 7-5, 6-6 at worst

Entodawg
04-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Anybody think Memphis has a chance at the upset? Memphis looked good last year and the game is in Memphis

TrapGame
04-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Anybody think Memphis has a chance at the upset? Memphis looked good last year and the game is in Memphis

That would be hilarious. Heads would 'splode all over Oxford.

RougeDawg
04-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Haven't you heard about that one recruiting class? That's all they need to bring home the national championship!!!**

RossDawg82
04-20-2015, 11:59 AM
No they will win 7-9 games this year. As much as we hate it, outside the QB(how much do they really have to do anyway) they are a pretty stout team. I can see them possibly winning 10 if CK can hit the short throws and screens

Ifyouonlyknew
04-20-2015, 12:02 PM
No they will be a very solid team. I don't think they'll be great but they will win 7-9 games.

Political Hack
04-20-2015, 12:03 PM
If Treadwell is back, they'll have a downfield threat that will take pressure off the running game and their QB. He's a big, big part of whether they're going to be successful this year.

RougeDawg
04-20-2015, 12:07 PM

Been thinking the same thing. Memphis came awfully close to beating them last year, even though the final score doesn't indicate this. Memphis was driving to take the lead late in the game. QB hit the WR in stride, WR proceeds to tip the ball softly into the air and one of the DB'a intercepted. Then Bo Dort throws a deep bomb Td, well I mean he threw it short and the WR ran 70 yards after catch. Then Memphis gave up. Boise also outplayed them last year.

I could easily see them going 5-7 with that schedule. They are still extremely thin on OL and we of all people should know what an inept QB and offense can do to a pretty good defense. This is the biggest problem people are overlooking about the Bears. Bucky's offense is all gimmick and requires a QB Competent enough to run it. If the offense stalls due to shitty QB play, that defense will be forced to play manyore snaps than they would like. Add in the fact that their defense is top heavy in terms of talent, they will quickly see a drop off in talent to rest players and become a less dominant defense. Just look at our teams that had inept offenses but above average defenses in the first few years of Mullen. We would be in ball games through the 3rd, but fade away in the 4th because our defenses were worn down. This is what I see happening to the Bears this season.

Coach34
04-20-2015, 12:09 PM
No way in hell they can win 10 games having to play @Bama, @Auburn, @Fla, and @State

Freezus has beaten one SEC team on the road with a winning record- A&M this past year the week after we brutalized them- forcing a QB change

HancockCountyDog
04-20-2015, 12:12 PM
No way in hell they can win 10 games having to play @Bama, @Auburn, @Fla, and @State

Freezus has beaten one SEC team on the road with a winning record- A&M this past year the week after we brutalized them- forcing a QB change

I'll be surprised if Florida has a winning record.

Coach34
04-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Prepare to be surprised

Coach34
04-20-2015, 12:40 PM
If Treadwell is back, they'll have a downfield threat that will take pressure off the running game and their QB. He's a big, big part of whether they're going to be successful this year.

They had Treadwell last year and still scored 7 points vs LSU. Thy don't score on the road like they do at home. And now are worse at QB

messageboardsuperhero
04-20-2015, 12:43 PM
They aren't going to miss a bowl game, but they also won't win more than 9 MAYBE 10 games tops with the road games they have. And I don't care what anyone says- Arkansas at home is going to be really tough. I'm not looking forward to us going to Fayetteville at all either.

messageboardsuperhero
04-20-2015, 12:46 PM
They had Treadwell last year and still scored 7 points vs LSU. Thy don't score on the road like they do at home. And now are worse at QB

I would love to see UM's average SEC points scored at home vs on the road. It is probably shockingly different over Freeze's tenure.

Playing on artificial turf has been important for their offense.

TheRef
04-20-2015, 12:48 PM
I would love to see UM's average SEC points scored at home vs on the road. It is probably shockingly different over Freeze's tenure.

For Freeze's tenure compared to Nutt's tenure?

messageboardsuperhero
04-20-2015, 12:52 PM
For Freeze's tenure compared to Nutt's tenure?

I just meant there is probably a dramatic difference between UM's average points scored on artificial turf vs on natural grass since Freeze has been there. Sorry, I could have worded that better...

Political Hack
04-20-2015, 12:59 PM

then imagine what it will look like without him.

GreenheadDawg
04-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Their D-line will be tops in the SEC but their linebackers and secondary will take a big step back. They lost some HUGE pieces

TheRef
04-20-2015, 01:04 PM
I just meant there is probably a dramatic difference between UM's average points scored on artificial turf vs on natural grass since Freeze has been there. Sorry, I could have worded that better...

Nutt Home SEC PPG: 22.5
Nutt Away SEC PPG: 21.125
Freeze Home SEC PPG: 30.25
Freeze Away SEC PPG: 20.25

Political Hack
04-20-2015, 01:14 PM
If you remove Vandy, Freeze is 2-8 on the road in the SEC play and averages losing by more than 10 points per game. Been outscored 270-163 over those 10 games.

Bubb Rubb
04-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Memphis was ranked in the final top 25 last year - a very strong finish for them. They've lost a ton on the defensive side of the ball from that team.

I would love to see Memphis beat the Rebs, but I doubt it happens.

HSVDawg
04-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Short answer....no. People act like they made the NY6 bowl last year because of great QB play. Bo played like utter dog shit in the Egg Bowl and they still whipped our asses. He also played that way in most other games the entire 2nd half of the season and they were still in contention or won outright (Arkansas being the one exception). Bottom line is that Freeze's offense doesn't need an all-world QB to be successful (neither does Mullen's, for that matter). Their D alone will pave the way to a 7 to 9 win season easily.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-20-2015, 02:07 PM

They average a little over 10 more points at home than on the road in Freeze's tenure. That doesn't seem that crazy.

Political Hack
04-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Short answer....no. People act like they made the NY6 bowl last year because of great QB play. Bo played like utter dog shit in the Egg Bowl and they still whipped our asses. He also played that way in most other games the entire 2nd half of the season and they were still in contention or won outright (Arkansas being the one exception). Bottom line is that Freeze's offense doesn't need an all-world QB to be successful (neither does Mullen's, for that matter). Their D alone will pave the way to a 7 to 9 win season easily.

Agree with this as much as I hate to. They have a good defense and Freeze is creative enough on offense to create problems. They'll win more than they lose.

DistrictDawg92
04-20-2015, 02:19 PM
If whoever wins their starting QB spot goes down with an injury, they could be in a lottttt of trouble.

HancockCountyDog
04-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Memphis was ranked in the final top 25 last year - a very strong finish for them. They've lost a ton on the defensive side of the ball from that team.

I would love to see Memphis beat the Rebs, but I doubt it happens.

WHen I see Memphis being successful it makes me wonder how USM let this happen. I know this isn't part of the original thread - but Im just wondering;

Bothrops
04-20-2015, 02:28 PM
All depends on qb play, but their schedule sets up nicely.

DistrictDawg92
04-20-2015, 02:38 PM
WHen I see Memphis being successful it makes me wonder how USM let this happen. I know this isn't part of the original thread - but Im just wondering;

Probably bc Memphis is an a metro area that has about 1/2 of the population of the whole state of Mississippi. Southern was only ever relevant because they kinda did what Miami did, creating the state of Miami or the "State of Southern Mississippi", which included south MS, the Mobile area, and the New Orleans area. Southern's football program died the minute that teams like Lafeyette, La Tech and South Alabama began to become decent. Southern just simply can not recruit well enough to remain relevant or even D1, and they will certainly never win a recruiting battle again against us or Ole Miss. They might as well go ahead and put all their athletic money towards baseball and basketball because they may never go to a bowl game again in football (half joking). Couldn't have happened to a worse 10-man fan base. Good riddance.

sandwolf
04-20-2015, 03:55 PM

Yea, as much as I hate it, I agree. They are going to be a really good team next year. If not for their schedule, I would be pretty nervous about them winning the West....but they will be doing good to pick up 1 win out of @Bama, @Auburn and @State.

Coach34
04-20-2015, 04:15 PM
There are always adjustments for young QB's taking over starring roles in the SEC. Wallace threw a shit ton of picks his 1st year- and the EMCC coaches say Wallace > Machine Gun. Now that was also an inferior team and Freezus adjusting to the SEC- but still- bet on their QB struggling at times- regardless of who it is. Their 1st year QB is not going to go on the road and beat Bama, Auburn, or State. Fla, LSU, and UPig are up for debate. I think they beat A&M at home. UPig's physical OL is something that D hates.

They probably end up 8-4- lose a shit ton of players- and then we'll see what Freezus can dial up in 2016.

Johnson85
04-20-2015, 04:41 PM
I was looking at their 2015 schedule and counted W's and L's. Maybe it was wishful thinking, but I could very easily see them going 5 and 7 to 7 and 5.
UT Martin W, Fresno State W, Bama L, Vandy W, Florida W/L, New Mexico State W, Memphis W, A&M W/L, Auburn L, Arkansas L, LSU W/L, MSU L.
With an unproven QB, I think there is a real possibility they could lose the toss up games. Their defense will keep them in most games, but I can't see them winning 9-10 this year.

When you rely as much on defense as they likely will, you are always at risk of a couple of special team plays or one or two breakdowns on defense completely swinging the game against an inferior opponent, but I don't see them going 5-7. They've got what should be 5 sure wins on the schedule in UT Martin, Fresno, Vandy, New Mexico St., and Memphis. Florida could man up and run it right at them, Arkansas is going to be a hard game for them, Bama, LSU, and State will be tough for them. Auburn away should be a tough and A&M won't be a push over.

But I just can't see them losing all those games unless they just have a locker room meltdown. Even if Kelly gets hurt, they are going to be relying on their QB so little I'm not sure it would derail them.

I think they get the five obvious ones, A&M, and then at least one of Florida and LSU.

HailState39110
04-20-2015, 05:20 PM
I think They'll have a similar season to their season two years ago when they went 7-5 and went to the Music City . Theyve got enough talent to have a winning record but with Shaky QB play and an OL that looked overmatched a couple of times last year (Arkansas/TCU) i wouldn't expect the dominate season. it will be interesting to see their secondary without Golson and Cody Pruitt bc both of those guys will be hard to replace

State82
04-20-2015, 05:21 PM
No way that they come in with less than 6-7 wins. I would set their o/u at 7.5

Todd4State
04-20-2015, 06:14 PM
I would be shocked if Memphis beat Ole Miss. I don't think Memphis can score on them. It may not be pretty, but I think Ole Miss wins.

1bigdawg
04-20-2015, 06:24 PM
I just looked at the way their schedule sets up. I believe they will be 7-1 with a loss to Alabama going into the last four games. They lose to Auburn, have a toss up with Arkansas at home, lose to LSU because they are beat up and LSU will hit its stride by then and they lose to us.

So they end up 7-5 or 8-4 depending on the Arkansas game.

GreenheadDawg
04-20-2015, 07:48 PM
I just looked at the way their schedule sets up. I believe they will be 7-1 with a loss to Alabama going into the last four games. They lose to Auburn, have a toss up with Arkansas at home, lose to LSU because they are beat up and LSU will hit its stride by then and they lose to us.

That looks about right. I think the floor is 7 wins and ceiling is 9 wins

Schultzy
04-20-2015, 07:54 PM
I think it's a legitimate question. They're ****ed at qb, OL and the secondary.

bulldawg28
04-20-2015, 08:48 PM

I expect them to beat LSU at home mainly due LSU can't pass the ball.

Beaver
04-21-2015, 12:43 AM
They'll want to play like how they played against us and Bama last year. When you have a great defense, you can afford to take risks on offense. They go for the big play (See 2014 Egg Bowl). That style also is exciting for the home crowd which gets them involved. Not so good for road games though. Also not good if you get down by a couple scores early. I also see them taking a step back on defense with the loss of Prewit. He was a difference maker for them. I'd guess either 8-4 or 9-3 with the swing game being at UF. Their schedule reminds me of our 2012 "We believe" schedule.

Todd4State
04-21-2015, 02:14 AM
I expect them to beat LSU at home mainly due LSU can't pass the ball.

They also have LSU the week before the Egg Bowl. If I was an Ole Miss fan, I wouldn't like that set-up. Freeze is 0-3 the week before the Egg Bowl- including blow out losses to Mizzou and Arkansas.

Todd4State
04-21-2015, 02:18 AM
They'll want to play like how they played against us and Bama last year. When you have a great defense, you can afford to take risks on offense. They go for the big play (See 2014 Egg Bowl). That style also is exciting for the home crowd which gets them involved. Not so good for road games though. Also not good if you get down by a couple scores early. I also see them taking a step back on defense with the loss of Prewit. He was a difference maker for them. I'd guess either 8-4 or 9-3 with the swing game being at UF. Their schedule reminds me of our 2012 "We believe" schedule.

I doubt they start out 8-0. I do think that they will go 4-0 OOC with Memphis being the only team that has a shot of beating them. And I would handicap Memphis's chances of winning around 25%. They'll beat Vanderbilt at home. That will put them pretty much 5-0 right out of the gate and I could see them beating some combination of Florida, Arkansas, or Texas A&M- most likely A&M at the very least.

TheVoiceofReason
04-21-2015, 08:55 AM
ZERO! Do some of you even watch football or are you just incapable of living in reality? Their defense will be one of if not the top unit in the country based off last year, who they lost vs who is replacing them and returners. There's zero evidence to state otherwise.
Offensively they have issues and unproven talent(and yes Kelly is talented). There is no way however that they miss a bowl game.

Coach34
04-21-2015, 09:09 AM
ZERO! Do some of you even watch football or are you just incapable of living in reality? Their defense will be one of if not the top unit in the country based off last year, who they lost vs who is replacing them and returners. There's zero evidence to state otherwise.
Offensively they have issues and unproven talent(and yes Kelly is talented). There is no way however that they miss a bowl game.

how many people in this thread actually said they thought Ole Missus might miss going 6-6? One???

Really Clark?
04-21-2015, 09:12 AM

Hmmm. While I agree that they should not miss a bowl game, they are missing some very key players on defense that they will not be able to reproduce the same production from the new players. And outside of Conner, until we see it on the field next year their LB situation looks very average. Golson and Prewitt meant so much to that defense. And Golson played out of his mind and way above his norms. Coming into the year he was consider a good CB averaging 2-3 picks a year. Then he has 10 and pushes their team total well above projections. Even if he increased his totals to 4-5 then they are a middle of the pack (tied with a bunch of teams) in the SEC with turnovers. They have gone 10, 15, 13 the three prior years to 22 last year. I sincerely doubt they will duplicate those numbers. The DL should be very good. The DB have talent but a lot of young guys will have to step into some very big shoes. I think they have the potential to be good in the secondary but they will take some lumps early and the production will be less next year. That is not saying they don't have talent but I don't believe they will be as productive. A very good top 25 top defense I can, one of, if not the top defense I the country? Over hyped. I'm looking for them to be around 19-21 point per game type of D.

I'm withholding a judgement on talent concerning Kelly until I can see him during an SEC game. I think he has some but indications are from people who have watched him play that he has less than Wallace. Wallace had some talent and fit the system so if he is less than Wallace, then we will just have to see.

Coach34
04-21-2015, 09:20 AM
Ole missus won't be quite as good at LB or at Prewitt's Safety spot- just like we won't be as good at Cheetah's spot on D. But their DL and overall Secondary will be very good.

sandwolf
04-21-2015, 09:26 AM
how many people in this thread actually said they thought Ole Missus might miss going 6-6? One???

How much longer are you going to tolerate this asshole?

Really Clark?
04-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Ole missus won't be quite as good at LB or at Prewitt's Safety spot- just like we won't be as good at Cheetah's spot on D. But their DL and overall Secondary will be very good.

I agree it will be good. I just don't think they will be a top 10 type D. Their DL definitely gives them a chance. The secondary is talented but should have a few issues early and by the end of the year be good to very good. But less production from the DB in general compared to last year. That was an outstanding secondary last year that I just don't seeing being duplicated. Could be wrong but just think they come back to the pack some this year. And if the offense struggles like it might and that avg points per game makes them have several close games then you never know how the team reacts.

Coach34
04-21-2015, 10:21 AM
How much longer are you going to tolerate this asshole?

I want us to continue to make him look stupid for a little longer 1st