PDA

View Full Version : Worst SBW ever?

curmudgeon
04-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Baseball: Swept
Softball: Swept (now on 5 game losing streak)
#8 Women's Golf team: 12th of 14 teams in SEC Championships, 46 strokes behind leader
Men's Golf: 14th of 14 teams in SEC Championships, 58 strokes behind leader (and 24 strokes behind 13th place)
#20 Men's Tennis: Lost 4-0 to Texas A&M at SEC Championships
Women's Tennis: Lost 4-0 to Georgia at SEC Championships

Spring Postseason Odds:
Women's Golf is probably still a lock.
Softball has work to do.
Men's Tennis is in, but will travel
women's Tennis is on the bubble at best
Baseball will have to win SEC Tournament

maroonmania
04-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Man, what in the world happened to the Women's golf team. Don't keep up with them much but do know that they had a short stretch of being #1 in the country. And now they are finishing 12th in the SEC?

RossDawg82
04-20-2015, 08:48 AM
#8 Women's Golf team: 12th of 14 teams in SEC Championships, 46 strokes behind leader
Men's Golf: 14th of 14 teams in SEC Championships, 58 strokes behind leader (and 24 strokes behind 13th place)

Spring Postseason Odds:
Softball has work to do.

If baseball even gets to go to the tourney

maroonmania
04-20-2015, 08:50 AM
If baseball even gets to go to the tourney

Yep, given we still have LSU and road series @Ark and @OM I would say the chances of us making even the SEC tournament are quite small.

Political Hack
04-20-2015, 09:07 AM
at least we won the football game.

Dawg Corps
04-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Not only were the sporting outcomes not ideal, but the weather also killed most of the social activities that we had planned...

TheRef
04-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Man, what in the world happened to the Women's golf team. Don't keep up with them much but do know that they had a short stretch of being #1 in the country. And now they are finishing 12th in the SEC?

Just a bad weekend. Going into the tournament we were ranked #2 in the country. Just chalk this weekend to a bad weekend.

BeardoMSU
04-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Karma for jerseygate***

curmudgeon
04-20-2015, 09:28 AM
They'll make a regional. Golfstat still has them in the Top 10. Wouldn't be surprised if they are shipped out West this year though.

I could see them as the #3/#4 seed in St. George or San Antonio.

South Bend and Raleigh are the other hosts. They would be a #4 seed at best there. Seeds don't really matter all that much in golf regionals, but the field with the #1 seed is usually easier - and South Carolina will be the #1 seed in Raleigh. LSU has a shot at the top seed in South Bend. USCw will be the top seed in St. George I imagine.

Raleigh top 4 seeds: South Carolina, Duke, Arkansas, Virginia
South Bend top 4 seeds: LSU, Oklahoma State, Wake Forest, Northwestern
San Antonio top 4 seeds: UCLA, Texas A&M, Arizona, Tennessee
St. George top 4 seeds: Southern California, Washington, Mississippi State, Stanford

This is the first year of a combined stroke play/match play format. If you can finish in the top 8 of a three round stroke play (we were 5th at NCAA Championships last year), then you make an Elite 8 and you play match play (Ryder Cup style) until you have a champion. Will have to make the top 6 at regionals to move to nationals. Last year, it was top eight.

Thompson92
04-20-2015, 09:32 AM

Spring Postseason Odds:
Softball has work to do.

I think Women's Tennis gets in. In the past, teams at their ranking have gotten in, and they may be ranked higher by selection time, since they beat #28 South Carolina. Also, they beat #13 Bama earlier in the season, and several of their losses have been very close. I just don't see them getting left out.

Overall, not a great spring, other than basketball news. But there are good young players on all these teams, so no reason to think we won't be better in the future.

BulldogBear
04-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Softball has three games against USCe, and three nonconf games, Memphis Wednesday night and two on the road against Ga. Southern. A loss to either will be considered a bad loss. I would feel a lot better if we swept SC, and nervous if we lose that series.

We are a lock for the SEC tournament but still can end up the last team in mathematically.

maroonmania
04-20-2015, 09:48 AM
at least we won the football game.

True, but we also lost the football game. ):

Pollodawg
04-20-2015, 10:01 AM
I read somewhere that the attendance numbers at the spring game were 13,000. That's sad. I know baseball is in the gutter, but that's no reason not to come and watch the last hurrah before Fall. We just came off of a historic season where we became the first team since the eighties to beat three top ten teams in a row. We have easily the best QB in the conference (and it aint even close), and a He15man candidate coming back, not to mention the best WR corp we've ever had for him to chunk it to. I know we lost the last couple of games, but that shouldn't have effected the perception of the program that much. Don't tell me we are this spoiled as a fanbase already.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 10:21 AM
I read somewhere that the attendance numbers at the spring game were 13,000. That's sad. I know baseball is in the gutter, but that's no reason not to come and watch the last hurrah before Fall. We just came off of a historic season where we became the first team since the eighties to beat three top ten teams in a row. We have easily the best QB in the conference (and it aint even close), and a He15man candidate coming back, not to mention the best WR corp we've ever had for him to chunk it to. I know we lost the last couple of games, but that shouldn't have effected the perception of the program that much. Don't tell me we are this spoiled as a fanbase already.

There had to have been more at the game than 13,000. I would have guessed at least 20,000. And I figured the weather forecast kept a ton of people away.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Hailstate states we had 21,500 in attendance.

TheRef
04-20-2015, 10:28 AM
There had to have been more at the game than 13,000. I would have guessed at least 20,000. And I figured the weather forecast kept a ton of people away.

To be frank, this weekend's forecast was difficult because when I put out my forecast, everything was trending towards the game being wet. But as we went to the weekend, conditions changed and slowed everything down.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 10:30 AM
To be frank, this weekend's forecast was difficult because when I put out my forecast, everything was trending towards the game being wet. But as we went to the weekend, conditions changed and slowed everything down.

Oh no doubt, you can't really blame the forecasters being wrong as much as I just meant probably a lot of people made the decision not to come on Friday based on what everyone thought the weather was going to do at the time.

HancockCountyDog
04-20-2015, 10:36 AM
I finally got around to watching the spring game, and man its hard not to start expecting a top 10 finish, we are freaking loaded.

TheRef
04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Oh no doubt, you can't really blame the forecasters being wrong as much as I just meant probably a lot of people made the decision not to come on Friday based on what everyone thought the weather was going to do at the time.

Very true...I hate that I missed the forecast. Gonna look over everything and see what I missed, regardless.

Pollodawg
04-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Hailstate states we had 21,500 in attendance.

The number I found must have been bogus then. That site had LSU at 15,000 I think. And I know that aint right. Win lose or draw, dem cajuns love em some Bayou Bengals. lol

maroonmania
04-20-2015, 11:07 AM

I heard a 13,000 number for the baseball game? As someone pointed out it was over 21,000 for the football game. Given the weather issues, the poor season we are having in baseball, and the fact that you can now watch the Spring game without physically going via the SEC broadcast it was a tough year to get a big Spring Game crowd. I live over 3 hours from Starkville and I certainly couldn't justify the trip to watch a scrimmage that I could see on TV anyway and then watch FL likely beat up on us which I could also see online. Trying to save up to go to REAL games which are getting more expensive every year.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 11:13 AM
The number I found must have been bogus then. That site had LSU at 15,000 I think. And I know that aint right. Win lose or draw, dem cajuns love em some Bayou Bengals. lol

I don't know. The number for LSU seems right according to Saturday down south, etc but I read that their threat of rain greatly effected attendance. It also had us with 21,500. I saw Fanside had us with 13,000 and I don't know why it would have that unless the person was showing some bias. UM had only 15,000, maybe they didn't want to show we exceed them even with a huge threat of rain.

Liverpooldawg
04-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Watching spring football is like watching paint dry. I went to one, and that was it. That was over 30 years ago.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 11:16 AM
I heard a 13,000 number for the baseball game? As someone pointed out it was over 21,000 for the football game. Given the weather issues, the poor season we are having in baseball, and the fact that you can now watch the Spring game without physically going via the SEC broadcast it was a tough year to get a big Spring Game crowd. I live over 3 hours from Starkville and I certainly couldn't justify the trip to watch a scrimmage that I could see on TV anyway and then watch FL likely beat up on us which I could also see online. Trying to save up to go to REAL games which are getting more expensive every year.

I bet that is it. That other site confused our two game attendance numbers. And here I went down a conspiracy theory path. Lol

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Watching spring football is like watching paint dry. I went to one, and that was it. That was over 30 years ago.

I suspect the atmosphere is a little better now. But I enjoy going and just being on campus, watching the new players, seeing positions of concern, etc. Had a great time at the softball game, my youngest daughter ate that up. Spent a lot of time with my HS Soph daughter walking around really getting a feel of the school she really wants to attend. (wanted to study meteorolgy and chase storms for most of her life, since Katrina)

TheRef
04-20-2015, 11:24 AM
I suspect the atmosphere is a little better now. But I enjoy going and just being on campus, watching the new players, seeing positions of concern, etc. Had a great time at the softball game, my youngest daughter ate that up. Spent a lot of time with my HS Soph daughter walking around really getting a feel of the school she really wants to attend. (wanted to study meteorolgy and chase storms for most of her life, since Katrina)

Hey...if she ever wants to talk to someone who has been through the program, I can pm you my information. Do you know if she wants to do broadcast or not?

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Hey...if she ever wants to talk to someone who has been through the program, I can pm you my information. Do you know if she wants to do broadcast or not?

Hey I would really appreciate that. She hasn't ever really wanted to do broadcast but has said if she is advised that she needs to she would consider it but I understand the professional(?? Is that right) side is just as big of a demand. But don't know that for sure.

TheRef
04-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Hey I would really appreciate that. She hasn't ever really wanted to do broadcast but has said if she is advised that she needs to she would consider it but I understand the professional(?? Is that right) side is just as big of a demand. But don't know that for sure.

So she's wanting to do operational Meteorology. That's actually the degree that I'm finishing up right now. Her degree will be a B.S. in Geosciences with a Professional Meteorology Concentration and an Operational emphasis. Her advisor won't try to sway her one way or another, which is what I like about the advisors in the Meteorology department. Anyway, I can give her as much info as I know about it and give her some contacts within the department to talk to. Also, I can try to give her some advice on what to try and read up on before she walks onto campus.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 11:37 AM
So she's wanting to do operational Meteorology. That's actually the degree that I'm finishing up right now. Her degree will be a B.S. in Geosciences with a Professional Meteorology Concentration and an Operational emphasis. Her advisor won't try to sway her one way or another, which is what I like about the advisors in the Meteorology department. Anyway, I can give her as much info as I know about it and give her some contacts within the department to talk to. Also, I can try to give her some advice on what to try and read up on before she walks onto campus.

That would be awesome. Do you think there is any advantage/disadvantage of going JUCO first? Jones is close to us. Part of her really wants to go straight up there but can see it being a huge change and of course a big part of Daddy wouldn't mind her staying close to home for a little longer. Lol

TheRef
04-20-2015, 11:40 AM
That would be awesome. Do you think there is any advantage/disadvantage of going JUCO first? Jones is close to us. Part of her really wants to go straight up there but can see it being a huge change and of course a big part of Daddy wouldn't mind her staying close to home for a little longer. Lol

I sent you a PM with my info, I can get more in depth on there, if you'd like. That way we're not clogging up the thread with the Meteorology info.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 11:44 AM
I sent you a PM with my info, I can get more in depth on there, if you'd like. That way we're not clogging up the thread with the Meteorology info.

Thanks and you're right

Bothrops
04-20-2015, 12:04 PM
That 13,000 number at the scrimmage was bullshit. That's just some sports outfit trying to list us among the worst attended. I estimated around 20k, as I was there. It seemed like one other publication listed everyone else's attendance figures, except ours. Of course, we're just Lil ol' State.

IMissJack
04-20-2015, 07:25 PM

Spring Postseason Odds:
Softball has work to do.

It is sad that the only sports that surprised me this weekend are women's golf and tennis.!!!

Harrydawg
04-20-2015, 07:34 PM
I can speak for me and my family - we had a blast. I know sports did not go as planned but we had not ever been to SBW.

Now, I'm local but spring (youth) baseball has messed up SBW for years for us but this weekend lined up. Damn, Starkville was awesome - the craft fair was fantastic.....walking along, drinking a beer and seeing old friends was perfect.

We got lucky on the weather but surely that kept a lot of people home. I left the spring football game at half to get a drink at 612 and didn't get to the baseball game till the 3rd inning cause we enjoyed downtown so much. Sounds like a post on The spirit! Damn

Dawgface
04-20-2015, 07:52 PM
I'm guessing the lady golfers wore black golf shirts.**