PDA

View Full Version : Schaefer with two HUGE signings in the late signing period

TheRef
04-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Vic Schaefer and the Mississippi State Women's Basketball team has picked up two HUGE signings this weekend in the late signing period.

First off is Oklahoma State transfer Roshunda "Ro" Johnson. Johnson averaged 11.3 PPG last season after her Big-12 All-Freshman year in Stillwater. Johnson is a Point Guard, but will have to sit out next season due to NCAA Transfer rules.

The biggest incoming player next year is Teaira McCowan from Brenham High School in Texas. McCowan is a 5* center, according to ESPN, and is the #2 Center of the 2015 class. This year she averaged 19.3 PPG, 17.1 RBG, and 4.0 BPG in her senior year. The best part? She is 6' 7". That's right, SIX FEET SEVEN INCHES.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDAJLECUgAAvE0z.jpg:large

msstate7
04-19-2015, 10:44 PM
Gotta love what our basketball coaches are building

TheRef
04-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Yeah...I think we'll do just fine without Kendra Grant or Martha Alwal next year.

ScottH
04-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Good job Vic.

I wonder what the big girl's story is. Was committed to Cincy of all places until February.

MSUDawg4Life
04-19-2015, 11:28 PM
Wow. Shored up a huge position of need with the center.

Good job!

AFDawg
04-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Google image search, social media, and the athletics department webpage failed me. Where did you find that picture?

TheRef
04-20-2015, 12:30 AM
Google image search, social media, and the athletics department webpage failed me. Where did you find that picture?

@HailStateWBK Twitter

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-20-2015, 01:26 AM
huge signing on multiple levels. fills our only legitimate pos. of need, & provides a potentially elite post presence to build around Vivians. can't wait to see how she develops under Coach Vic. Morgan William, V Vivians, & McCowan is a 3-headed monster in the 3 most important positions. William can beat anyone in the country off the dribble. If the layup isn't there, kick out to Tori or lob to Teaira. There is gonna be a lot of talent lacing up in the Hump this year.

MabenMaroon
04-20-2015, 05:29 AM
17* AWESOME! Right out from under the noses of Baylor, TAMU, Tex and Oklahoma. That is the kind of potential talent we need to compete with the likes of Baylor, Tenn, USCe, etc. which is what we need to get to Elite8's/Final 4's. Lookout Geno & UConn, we are coming after you.
Kept wondering why Coach Schaefer was holding two schollies in his back pocket, I guess we know now.

A little more info: http://www.hailstate.com//ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=10995&DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=210033650

Fred Garvin
04-20-2015, 06:21 AM
Good get by Schaefer. That Duke game showed we needed more size.

AFDawg
04-20-2015, 07:17 AM
@HailStateWBK Twitter

Appears to be gone now

TheRef
04-20-2015, 07:42 AM
Appears to be gone now

Shame....

TheRef
04-20-2015, 07:47 AM
Also, just found out this tidbit. She is the tallest recruit in the Top 100 by THREE INCHES. We got the tower of the class.

maroonmania
04-20-2015, 09:39 AM
huge signing on multiple levels. fills our only legitimate pos. of need, & provides a potentially elite post presence to build around Vivians. can't wait to see how she develops under Coach Vic. Morgan William, V Vivians, & McCowan is a 3-headed monster in the 3 most important positions. William can beat anyone in the country off the dribble. If the layup isn't there, kick out to Tori or lob to Teaira. There is gonna be a lot of talent lacing up in the Hump this year.

Wasn't there also a JUCO AA recruit that would be here next year that we are expecting big things from as well?

MabenMaroon
04-20-2015, 07:56 PM
Wasn't there also a JUCO AA recruit that would be here next year that we are expecting big things from as well?

Yes! Jasmine Spears 6'0" ( from New Albany, I think ), she is currently at Trinity Valley in Texas. That is the same school that Asst. Coach Elena Lovato and Savannah Carter came from. She will be an impact player at the 3 or 4, got a real nice shooting touch ( think like LaKaris Salter ) she is a very strong, thick and surprisingly fast with the ball. Has a great basketball IQ and is strong enough to bang down low in the post.
We are going to be quite physical in the paint and very fast with multiple good shooters on the perimeter. This is the most woolly I have been about any MSU team since I became an MSU Bulldawg about 35 years ago ( and I have been really amped up in the past by the football team this past year and this coming year, the 96 & 02 basketball teams, the 85 baseball team and this years women's golf team )

hells bells
04-20-2015, 10:32 PM
McCowan is our 8th Wonder of the World. Welcome aboard Dawg.

smootness
04-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Schaefer is doing amazing things.

Our team in 2016-2017 is going to be siiiiiiiick.

Vivians, Morgan William, Breanna Richardson, Dominique Dillingham, Ketara Chapel, LaKaris Salter, Chinwe Okorie, Kayla Nevitt, and Blair Schaefer are all going to still be on that team, as juniors and seniors.

Then you add Spears (who will be a senior), Roshunda Johnson (as a junior, who herself was a top-50 recruit), and McCowan as a sophomore, in addition to the other signees we had this year?

Good grief. That team legitimately could contend for a national title if everyone stays healthy. It still won't be as talented as the absolute elite like UConn and Notre Dame, but it won't be a huge drop in terms of talent and may end up being more experienced and deep.

That is potentially 5 or 6 girls that could become great at the college level.