PDA

View Full Version : Tebow to sign with Philly....

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Looks like Tebow is signing with Philly tomorrow. Good for him and mad respect for Philly for giving him a shot. He'll be a hell of a backup in that system.

That said, I'm going to miss him on SEC Nation. He and Tess were the only two that made the program watchable. Wonder what Big 7 athlete will replace him? You know they won't get someone from one of the non-Big 7 schools. Hopefully the new guy won't be as bad as Spears, although it would be pretty hard to be worse.

Bully13
04-19-2015, 08:21 PM
the God Haters will have a fit.... God Bless Tebow. I like it when the God Haters go skitzo. shit makes me laugh.

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 08:26 PM
the God Haters will have a fit.... God Bless Tebow. I like it when the God Haters go skitzo. shit makes me laugh.

Yep. I think the Tebow Media Circus, which he's done nothing to encourage other than by trying to play football, is the big reason no NFL team has given him a chance the last two seasons. You can't tell me Jacksonville, Oakland, etc. couldn't have used a QB with a playoff win on his resume.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 08:27 PM
So is Bradford the starter right now? If so, gotta figure tebow will see the field since Bradford is made of glass

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 08:31 PM
One would assume, 7. But I think Tebow may actually be the best fit for Kelly's system.

BulldogDX55
04-19-2015, 08:43 PM

No one hates Tebow for being a Christian. They dislike him for the disproportional amount of media attention he gets compared to his NFL skill level. Get over your persecution complex.

That said, if there is any place in the NFL he can make it, it is Philly under Chip Kelly's system.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 08:45 PM
No one hates Tebow for being a Christian. They dislike him for the disproportional amount of media attention he gets compared to his NFL skill level. Get over your persecution complex.

That said, if there is any place in the NFL he can make it, it is Philly under Chip Kelly's system.

Why would you dislike him for something he doesn't even control?

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 08:50 PM
I hope Tebow is the reason they win the Super Bowl this year and he rides off into the sunset with John Elway's wife or daughters if he has any. All of his daughters.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 08:51 PM
I hope Tebow is the reason they win the Super Bowl this year and he rides off into the sunset with John Elway's wife or daughters if he has any. All of his daughters.

Eagles vs Broncos super bowl? That would be awesome if tebow is the starter. I don't see either making it though

Todd4State
04-19-2015, 08:52 PM
I don't dislike Tebow at all, but at the end of the day he is a 50% or worse passer. I'm judging him against NFL QB's.

It's interesting to me how much attention Tebow gets when you have guys like Kaepernick, RGIII, Cam Newton, and etc. in the league. And what about all of those option QB's at Nebraska in the 90's that were really good runners but not all that great at passing? Why weren't they getting the same treatment that Tebow is getting now?

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Eagles vs Broncos super bowl? That would be awesome if tebow is the starter. I don't see either making it though

Peyton vs Tebow. Loser quits playing football for life.

scottycameron
04-19-2015, 08:58 PM
The Libs aren't going to like this at all. This could get ugly pretty quick.

shoeless joe
04-19-2015, 09:01 PM
I don't dislike Tebow at all, but at the end of the day he is a 50% or worse passer. I'm judging him against NFL QB's.

It's interesting to me how much attention Tebow gets when you have guys like Kaepernick, RGIII, Cam Newton, and etc. in the league. And what about all of those option QB's at Nebraska in the 90's that were really good runners but not all that great at passing? Why weren't they getting the same treatment that Tebow is getting now?

Tebow was a starting NFL QB for one year, not even a whole year, and he led his team on a ridiculous tear that culminated in a playoff win. Those are things that absolutely happened so he is a little more than just some ho-hum player that's never accomplished anything.

And yes I do realize he's not that great of a passer...which made his ability to win even that much more remarkable and speaks to many other things he does do well.

And there is absolutely zero doubt that people love to hate on Tebow and overly criticize his game because of his out spoken religious beliefs...and he has a somewhat cult following for much the same reason.

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 09:06 PM

Tebow is polarizing. He's the media's wet dream. He has modeling good looks and is pristine clean off the field. He's a virgin still and he's probably the most successful hardcore religious athlete of all-time. He does missionary work and public speaking in prisons. He does countless acts of humanitarian work. He's too perfect. That's why people hate him. Nobody can be that perfect. He is though. It's not an act. Tebow is the perfect person to take on this struggle. It points out failures in our society and he is making all of us better by simply being himself and going after his lifelong dream. Nobody has had to endure more doubters and critics telling him to quit than Tebow. He hasn't complained once. Anyone else would of quit.

cbrunt29
04-19-2015, 09:28 PM
So it'll be Bradford, Sanchez, Tebow, and Mark Barkley as the QBs on the roster. Bradford is the obvious number 1 but it'll be interesting to see the backup battle.
I honestly think Tebow fits Kelly's offense well, and I hope he can prove the doubters wrong. I read somewhere that he's been working on his throwing mechanics and he is much improved. We shall see.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 09:50 PM
So it'll be Bradford, Sanchez, Tebow, and Mark Barkley as the QBs on the roster. Bradford is the obvious number 1 but it'll be interesting to see the backup battle.
I honestly think Tebow fits Kelly's offense well, and I hope he can prove the doubters wrong. I read somewhere that he's been working on his throwing mechanics and he is much improved. We shall see.

I now have a reason to watch preseason games. Always liked tebow

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 10:00 PM

So it's Tebow vs Barkley for final spot. Tebow should win that battle.

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 10:02 PM

Pretty sure Sanchez is gone. He was a free agent after the season. Tebow is immediately #2.

Quaoarsking
04-19-2015, 10:13 PM
The Libs aren't going to like this at all. This could get ugly pretty quick.

Yawn. Tim Tebow has 42-26 approval among "very liberal" people and 43-14 among "somewhat liberal" people. Also 41-19 among Obama voters and 44-17 among self-identified Democrats. (citation (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_FL_32615.pdf)). I'm certainly in the plurality.

But I guess it's more fun to make up a persecution complex, isn't it?

DancingRabbit
04-19-2015, 10:15 PM
Pretty sure Sanchez is gone. He was a free agent after the season. Tebow is immediately #2.

No, Philly signed Sanchez to a 2 year deal.

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 10:31 PM

You only wish this was the case, 13. In your world, Christians are the minority in America, despite being an overwhelming portion of the population. Keep up the struggle, bud.

That being said, I'm happy for Tebow as a person; I'll miss him on the SECN. It will be interesting to see if he can win the 2nd or 3rd string QB spot on their roster.

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 10:42 PM
He's a virgin still and he's probably the most successful hardcore religious athlete of all-time.

This has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to throw a football, and is precisely why people don't buy into the Tebow-Train, as your post is literally a classic example of Tebow-Virgin-Worship.

Is he a virgin? He claims to be. But is he really? Does it have anything to do with footyball? Nope, and I doubt its validity, nonetheless. If he is...well, let me say I'd bet it has less to do with his morals, and more to do with his awkwardness and the crowd he troops with. Call me an asshole, but I find nothing wrong with someone not being a virgin who isn't married, and I'm certainly not inclined to put someone on a pedestal just because someone in their 30's hasn't gotten laid yet. Hell, my GF and I have been living together for almost 10 years; does that make us heathens? If you say yes, then 17 you.

I love Tebow the college player. I enjoyed watching Tebow the NFL player. But the widespread piety and overall martyrdom of perceived persecution that accompanies Tebow I do not love. Get your heads out your asses.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 10:46 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to throw a football, and is precisely why people don't buy into the Tebow-Train, as your post is literally a classic example of Tebow-Virgin-Worship.

Is he a virgin? He claims to be. But is he really? Does it have anything to do with footyball? Nope, and I doubt its validity, nonetheless. If he is...well, let me say I'd bet it has less to do with his morals, and more to do with his awkwardness and the crowd he troops with. Call me an asshole, but I find nothing wrong with someone not being a virgin who isn't married, and I'm certainly not inclined to put someone on a pedestal just because someone in their 30's hasn't gotten laid yet. Hell, my GF and I have been living together for almost 10 years; does that make us heathens? If you say yes, then 17 you.

I love Tebow the college player. I enjoyed watching Tebow the NFL player. But the widespread piety and overall martyrdom of perceived persecution that accompanies Tebow I do not love. Get your heads out your asses.

Heathen*

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 10:47 PM

Dude you went way out there with a simple comment. I couldn't give two shits if he's a virgin or not. You going full retard shows why I put it though. People are very passionate about this subject. It is another example of how he's polarizing. He brings out all these arguments amongst people without doing anything but being himself.

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 10:50 PM
Dude you went way out there with a simple comment. I couldn't give two shits if he's a virgin or not. You going full retard shows why I put it though. People are very passionate about this subject. It is another example of how he's polarizing. He brings out all these arguments amongst people without doing anything but being himself.

I wasn't going full retard, I was just pointing out that none of this, absolutely none, has any influence on how well this cat plays the game of football. At the same time, these are ideals and standards that are seen and viewed as "wholesome" and "pure", despite the fact that these are cultural standards are mostly unattainable, and honestly, antiquated.

ETA: and again, people who critique Tebow, can't do it without people (not necessarily you, just in general) coming out of the woodwork chiming in how they only "hate" him because what he stands for. This is not a one way street.

cbrunt29
04-19-2015, 10:50 PM
Playoff games won since 2011:

Tebow-1
Bradford-0
Sanchez-0
Philadelphia Eagles-0

scottycameron
04-19-2015, 10:54 PM

Geez, he's already under y'alls skin and it hasn't even been announced yet. While you're busy trying to trash him, he'll be praying for you. Think about that.

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 10:56 PM
Geez, he's already under y'alls skin and it hasn't even been announced yet. While you're busy trying to trash him, he'll be praying for you. Think about that.

Ok...thanks for the contribution to the convo, Scott.

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 11:00 PM
I wasn't going full retard, I was just pointing out that none of this, absolutely none, has any influence on how well this cat plays the game of football. At the same time, these are ideals and standards that are seen and viewed as "wholesome" and "pure", despite the fact that these are cultural standards are mostly unattainable, and honestly, antiquated.

ETA: and again, people who critique Tebow, can't do it without people (not necessarily you, just in general) coming out of the woodwork chiming in how they only "hate" him because what he stands for. This is not a one way street.

If you think I hate Tebow you couldn't be more wrong.

Quaoarsking
04-19-2015, 11:03 PM

As was already demonstrated on this thread, actual polls have consistently shown that Tim Tebow has a very high net approval rating among Democrats/liberals. The idea that he does not is pure right-wing fantasy.

I ♥ Tebow and so do most other liberals who know who he is.

Ifyouonlyknew
I have nothing against Tebow but I think he's a below mediocre NFL QB. I guess I should fear for my soul.

BeardoMSU

My bad, 61. The "they" in the ETA is in reference to the people who critique Tebow. My pronoun usage should be more clear, lol.

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 11:05 PM
I have nothing against Tebow but I think he's a below mediocre NFL QB. I guess I should fear for my soul.

I'm with you Dan.

And I'm an Episcopalian, just like you.....

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 11:08 PM
My bad, 61. The "they" in the ETA is in reference to the people who critique Tebow. My pronoun usage should be more clear, lol.

I used to get pissed over the people that hate Tebow but now it's just sad to me. It reveals some real ugliness in some people.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 11:13 PM
I used to get pissed over the people that hate Tebow but now it's just sad to me. It reveals some real ugliness in some people.

I think the issue is people can't seem to separate the 2. People who dislike Tebow & the people who think he's not a good NFL QB aren't 1 in the same. Just bc a person criticizes Tebow's play doesn't mean he hates Christ & wants to muzzle his lifestyle or message. It just may mean they think he sucks as a QB.

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 11:14 PM

What's interesting though and gets greatly reduced in value from your crowd is the "it factor" present in Tebow. He motivates his team. He wins games. 8-5 with a playoff win for a rookie is impressive. So is leading the league in rushing and rushing tds from the QB position. So is taking a 1-4 team and leading them into the playoffs. Remember Tebow singlehandedly bringing them back to beat the Jets and then doing a ten minute interview on the NFL Network? I do and I remember Rex Ryan went and signed him just so he didn't have to face him the next year. Tebow is a winner. He will win again if a team buys into him completely.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 11:18 PM
He went 8-5 his 2nd year not his rookie year. The thing about Tebow is you're going to need a top 10 defense like Denver had that year to keep you in all those games while he's going 4-13 32yds until he has that magical 4th qtr drive. Tim is a great closer. He was like Mariano Rivera but his defense had to damn near pitch 7-8 shutout innings to all ow Tebow the opportunity to work his late game heroics. "My crowd" is just a crowd that believes my starting QB should complete more than 50% of his passes. I have no Ill feelings toward Tebow I just question & going by his #'s rightfully so if he can be a successful QB over a period of time.

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 11:19 PM

Not saying you meant that for me, but just to be clear: I like Tebow. I think he's a good guy. I enjoy watching him play fooball, in college (especially) and the NFL. I just HATE the circus that accompanies the discussion of whether Tebow deserves to be on the same field as other NFL QB's that is oddly enough defined not by his skill as a NFL quarter back, but by all the other "social" reasons that are inevitably brought up.

This is not a religious or cultural debate, but it always seems to revert to these topics. You should be able to point out the flaws in his game, and the flaws in the systems that promotes Tebow over other perennial back-up-QB's (cough, Skip Ballis, cough) who've received no where near the 'benefit of the doubt' as Mr. T has.

Point me where I'm wrong. I'll eagerly listen to any open-minded and honest points on the matter.

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 11:20 PM
I think the issue is people can't seem to separate the 2. People who dislike Tebow & the people who think he's not a good NFL QB aren't 1 in the same. Just bc a person criticizes Tebow's play doesn't mean he hates Christ & wants to muzzle his lifestyle or message. It just may mean they think he sucks as a QB.

Thanks, Dan. You've put into words something that took me several more sentences. Bravo.

DancingRabbit
04-19-2015, 11:20 PM

I don't think that he thinks that. I think he thinks that some folks that think that Tebow is great because of his religious beliefs think that those that think he doesn't measure up as an NFL quarterback think that because of their anti-religious leanings.

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 11:28 PM
What's interesting though and gets greatly reduced in value from your crowd is the "it factor" present in Tebow. He motivates his team. He wins games. 8-5 with a playoff win for a rookie is impressive. So is leading the league in rushing and rushing tds from the QB position. So is taking a 1-4 team and leading them into the playoffs. Remember Tebow singlehandedly bringing them back to beat the Jets and then doing a ten minute interview on the NFL Network? I do and I remember Rex Ryan went and signed him just so he didn't have to face him the next year. Tebow is a winner. He will win again if a team buys into him completely.

Alright, Skip, you've blown your cover***, lol.

This is another example of a double standard that exists with Tebow. Tebow as a QB, yes, as Skip has said for years: "all he does is win"....but that's not only a ridiculous statement, but also an incomplete one. The ultimate problem here is the standards in which Tebow is being judged as compared to other "marginal" talents at the QB position. Tebow can complete less than 5 passes in a a game, with a sub 20 QBR for most of the game, but now it becomes: "its not the total game, but about what he does in the 4th quarter". When he played for the Jets the mantra was always "he's not a practice player", but again, "all he does is win"..."you put him in a game situation and he'll win you games". Him not beating out the competition was turned into some religious persecution conspiracy.

Just answer me this: how many other marginal talents have this bandwagon of support behind them? How many other QB's would be able to suck it up for 3/4th's of a game and have it written off if they rush for a go-ahead TD late in the 4th quarter? These are standards that are not ubiquitous, 61.

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 11:31 PM
He went 8-5 his 2nd year not his rookie year. The thing about Tebow is you're going to need a top 10 defense like Denver had that year to keep you in all those games while he's going 4-13 32yds until he has that magical 4th qtr drive. Tim is a great closer. He was like Mariano Rivera but his defense had to damn near pitch 7-8 shutout innings to all ow Tebow the opportunity to work his late game heroics. "My crowd" is just a crowd that believes my starting QB should complete more than 50% of his passes. I have no Ill feelings toward Tebow I just question & going by his #'s rightfully so if he can be a successful QB over a period of time.

If Tebow was 5-8 I'd agree with you. He isn't though. He wins games. That's all that should matter. It's a different style than everyone else and it's not pretty to watch necessarily but it is effective. He muddies up the game and comes out on top at the end. Until Tebow is losing I see no reason he shouldn't be allowed to play QB in the NFL. I don't care if he doesn't complete a single pass if he WINS the game. What would the Jags give for a playoff win? Tebow is worth that much.

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 11:38 PM
Alright, Skip, you've blown your cover***, lol.

This is another example of a double standard that exists with Tebow. Tebow as a QB, yes, as Skip has said for years: "all he does is win"....but that's not only a ridiculous statement, but also an incomplete one. The ultimate problem here is the standards in which Tebow is being judged as compared to other "marginal" talents at the QB position. Tebow can complete less than 5 passes in a a game, with a sub 20 QBR for most of the game, but now it becomes: "its not the total game, but about what he does in the 4th quarter". When he played for the Jets the mantra was always "he's not a practice player", but, again "all he does is win"..."you put him in a game situation and he'll win you games".

Just answer me this: how many other marginal talents have this bandwagon of support behind them? How many other QB's would be able to suck it up for 3/4th's of a game and have it written off if they run for a go-ahead TD late in the 4th quarter? These are standards that are not ubiquitous, 61.

Nobody else wins like him in the manner he does it though. He yucks up the game. He muddies it into toughman football. As long as his style is working he deserves to keep getting a chance. Y'all want to forget that he took a losing team into the playoffs. That alone deserves him another year as a starter atleast. 8-5 is 8-5 no matter how much you pick apart his completion percentage.

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 11:38 PM
If Tebow was 5-8 I'd agree with you. He isn't though. He wins games. That's all that should matter. It's a different style than everyone else and it's not pretty to watch necessarily but it is effective. He muddies up the game and comes out on top at the end. Until Tebow is losing I see no reason he shouldn't be allowed to play QB in the NFL. I don't care if he doesn't complete a single pass if he WINS the game. What would the Jags give for a playoff win? Tebow is worth that much.

So all those low scoring games the Broncos won is credited more to Tebow than to their defense?

How many other QB's would you be singing this same song for? Honestly.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 11:44 PM

In 16 career starts Tebow is 9-7. He has a career completion % of 47%. Yes he lead the league in rushing for a QB but he's also fumbled 14 times in his career losing half of them. Again any other QB with those stats wouldn't be a question on whether or not he should be in the league but somehow the rules change for Tebow. That's all I'm saying. Everything that we've always judged QB's on gets thrown out for Tim & I just don't think it should be.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 11:46 PM
Nobody else wins like him in the manner he does it though. He yucks up the game. He muddies it into toughman football. As long as his style is working he deserves to keep getting a chance. Y'all want to forget that he took a losing team into the playoffs. That alone deserves him another year as a starter atleast. 8-5 is 8-5 no matter how much you pick apart his completion percentage.

This where you lose me. You say he muddies it up like he's trying to go 4-15 on purpose. No he just can't complete those passes. Again I give him all the credit in the world for making those game winning drives but if you don't have a defense that can hold the opposing team to 10-14ppg you don't have a chance to win on a consistent basis.

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 11:56 PM
In 16 career starts Tebow is 9-7. He has a career completion % of 47%. Yes he lead the league in rushing for a QB but he's also fumbled 14 times in his career losing half of them. Again any other QB with those stats wouldn't be a question on whether or not he should be in the league but somehow the rules change for Tebow. That's all I'm saying. Everything that we've always judged QB's on gets thrown out for Tim & I just don't think it should be.

Anything Tebow did with the Jets shouldn't count against him. His record is 8-5 in my book. 1-1 in the playoffs. You are ignoring the atmosphere and excitement he brought to Denver. He lifted his defense too. They play harder for him. They just do. Does he need to turn the worst team ever into a winner for you to believe? Again till he losses he deserves to keep playing. Once he starts losing you can kick him out all you like. Till then though it's TEBOW TIME!!

Dawg61
04-20-2015, 12:01 AM
This where you lose me. You say he muddies it up like he's trying to go 4-15 on purpose. No he just can't complete those passes. Again I give him all the credit in the world for making those game winning drives but if you don't have a defense that can hold the opposing team to 10-14ppg you don't have a chance to win on a consistent basis.

Hey Dan whose the QB that everyone compares Dak to? You should know you coached them both.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-20-2015, 12:08 AM
I hope he gets his chance in Philly. He will have all the cards in his favor in that offense.

Rayburn8
04-20-2015, 07:29 AM
I think Tebow is better than Geno Smith and Shanchez. The thing is that Tebow is a perfect fit for the Chip Kelly offense. The Eagles are the only team that he has the ability to contribute at the QB position just based off what they want from a QB.

Also the reason he burned out was not because he could not play. Multiple anonymous GMs said they wanted to sign as a player and loved his skill set. But they said they won't because of the media circus that comes with him. The media killed Tebow's career.

BulldogDX55
04-20-2015, 08:18 AM
Anything Tebow did with the Jets shouldn't count against him. His record is 8-5 in my book. 1-1 in the playoffs. You are ignoring the atmosphere and excitement he brought to Denver. He lifted his defense too. They play harder for him. They just do. Does he need to turn the worst team ever into a winner for you to believe? Again till he losses he deserves to keep playing. Once he starts losing you can kick him out all you like. Till then though it's TEBOW TIME!!

By your standards, Jordan Jefferson ought to be a great NFL QB right now. I mean, despite the fact that he couldn't pass worth anything, he had NFL size and JUST WINS GAMES™. Had nothing to do with the defense, right?

lefty96
04-20-2015, 10:17 AM
If Tebow succeeds or fails in the NFL, it will be because of his ability to play the damn game - period. The league would start satan if he could run and catch so pack up the conspiracy theories. I don't even understand why anyone thinks this, Christian players who show their faith on the field isn't exactly a new thing. No one said squat about Deon Sander's on field displays - why? Because he was the best at what he does in the league. To this point Tebow is an intriguing, but ultimately failed first round Heisman winner who didn't make it. He's not the first and won't be the last.

BulldogDX55
04-20-2015, 10:33 AM
http://i.imgur.com/hltihpt.jpg

Rayburn8
04-20-2015, 10:35 AM
If Tebow succeeds or fails in the NFL, it will be because of his ability to play the damn game - period. The league would start satan if he could run and catch so pack up the conspiracy theories. I don't even understand why anyone thinks this, Christian players who show their faith on the field isn't exactly a new thing. No one said squat about Deon Sander's on field displays - why? Because he was the best at what he does in the league. To this point Tebow is an intriguing, but ultimately failed first round Heisman winner who didn't make it. He's not the first and won't be the last.
NFL GMs have come out and said it is not the Christian thing. It is the media firestorm around him. GMs have said they would love to have a guy like Tebow on their team but they can't do it because of the Media circus around him.

BeardoMSU
04-20-2015, 10:37 AM
I don't even understand why anyone thinks this, Christian players who show their faith on the field isn't exactly a new thing. No one said squat about Deon Sander's on field displays - why? Because he was the best at what he does in the league.

Exactly. How many plays do you see in sports today, not just the NFL, where a player crosses their heart, points to the sky, thanks God in the presser, etc. This is ubiquitous for American sports.

Political Hack
04-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Tebow can't make all the throws. CBs and Ss can sit on routes. He's not fast enough to be an elusive runner and wiggle through LBs like he did in college.

He does not fit the pro game. Chip Kelly is bringing him in as a #2/3, grinder/situational player, and locker room guy. He'll be a great addition to their roster for a lot of reasons. He'll never be the number 1 for a lot of reasons.

What I don't get is why everyone goes ape over a 3rd string QB. Other than missing him on the SECNetwork, I'm not sure why his return is really relevant to football discussions.

lefty96
04-20-2015, 10:53 AM
What I don't get is why everyone goes ape over a 3rd string QB. Other than missing him on the SECNetwork, I'm not sure why his return is really relevant to football discussions.

Because the news cycle is about to choke us to death with Tebow stories, again. Certainly not his fault but is annoying.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Exactly. How many plays do you see in sports today, not just the NFL, where a player crosses their heart, points to the sky, thanks God in the presser, etc. This is ubiquitous for American sports.

I agree with everything in this statement you made, the problem is the part that is outside of Tebow's control. All those other players combined, will not have the media attention or circus that Tebow does for the same thing. You wont have 10 min segments on ESPN, NFL network, NBC, sports writers, bloggers, etc discuss every pro and con of him doing that. To be honest, I think a lot of times journalist and the public in general, as much as they love a story about a positive role model in an athlete, the destruction of that athlete or the circus to surround them to find evidence that they are not perfect (which no one is) is 1000 times more of a motivation to them. I know if it was me, and this would not change me as a Christian or Tebow but I acknowledge would tarnish the public opinion, then at some point I give them something to really write about. As far as that side of the matter goes, so far he deserves a ton of respect of how he has handled the scrunty off the field. I do think that one shirt he wore last fall might have knocked some luster off his shine.*** Lol

Pretty hideous and another thing that probably got more traction and discussion because it was Tebow.

shoeless joe
04-20-2015, 11:46 AM

So his QBR is slightly lower than those guys who are currently in the NFL and even started as recently as last year? Doesn't really help your point.

scottycameron
04-20-2015, 11:56 AM
So his QBR is slightly lower than those guys who are currently in the NFL and even started as recently as last year? Doesn't really help your point.

The girls get confused about fantasy football and football non fantasy version. They don't give out the Lonbardy for ratings or fantasy points, boys.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-20-2015, 12:06 PM
NFL GMs have come out and said it is not the Christian thing. It is the media firestorm around him. GMs have said they would love to have a guy like Tebow on their team but they can't do it because of the Media circus around him.

That's true. No team wants to deal with media distraction for a backup. Same deal with Michael Sam. Why put up with the distraction for guys who may never take any meaningful snaps. Guys like Adrian Peterson & Greg Hardy will have media swarming them too but they'll still be employed. The reason why is they're elite talents. The more talent you have the more you can get away with.

BulldogDX55
04-20-2015, 12:17 PM

Are you serious? Lowest QBR in the entire NFL isn't that bad? Surely you jest.

The girls get confused about fantasy football and football non fantasy version. They don't give out the Lonbardy for ratings or fantasy points, boys.

What? Who is talking about fantasy points?

Edit: This is why some people don't like Tebow: His "fans" that defend him through even the most solid proof that he is not a good QB.

lefty96
04-20-2015, 12:23 PM
That's true. No team wants to deal with media distraction for a backup. Same deal with Michael Sam. Why put up with the distraction for guys who may never take any meaningful snaps. Guys like Adrian Peterson & Greg Hardy will have media swarming them too but they'll still be employed. The reason why is they're elite talents. The more talent you have the more you can get away with.

It's the b.s/talent ratio - Tebow is on the wrong end of that. Alot of it isn't his fault, but that's how it goes. If I'm his agent, I point out to him he is a college football legend, has an excellent future in television both of which will keep him well paid and healthy. There is no shame in being one of the best college athletes of all time.

Rayburn8
04-20-2015, 12:50 PM
It's the b.s/talent ratio - Tebow is on the wrong end of that. Alot of it isn't his fault, but that's how it goes. If I'm his agent, I point out to him he is a college football legend, has an excellent future in television both of which will keep him well paid and healthy. There is no shame in being one of the best college athletes of all time.

Like I said. The media killed Tebow's career. Not anything Tebow did himself.

msstate7
04-20-2015, 12:52 PM

So as his agent, you would advise him to not sign with the Eagles? Considering tebow wants to play, you'd be fired I would think. TV will be there whether this works out or not

Oh and tebow signing with the Eagles will get his name back on the front page again thus maximizing tebow's earning potential from sponsors. It'd be dumb to turn this down imo

lefty96
04-20-2015, 01:07 PM
So as his agent, you would advise him to not sign with the Eagles? Considering tebow wants to play, you'd be fired I would think. TV will be there whether this works out or not

Oh and tebow signing with the Eagles will get his name back on the front page again thus maximizing tebow's earning potential from sponsors. It'd be dumb to turn this down imo

Well, it wasn't exactly a literal statement, I was unaware people might miss that. It was more of a statement that I think his future is off the field and he should just get on with it.

I'm not sure it helps him with sponsors. The Rudy story was great cuz it was a movie and it was over in 2 hours, at some point the media will get tired of this cycle - ask Brett Favre.

msstate7
04-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Well, it wasn't exactly a literal statement, I was unaware people might miss that. It was more of a statement that I think his future is off the field and he should just get on with it.

I'm not sure it helps him with sponsors. The Rudy story was great cuz it was a movie and it was over in 2 hours, at some point the media will get tired of this cycle - ask Brett Favre.

Well everyone had kinda moved on from tebow, but this signing will rekindle extreme interest from his fans and haters. If tebow somehow starts this year for the Eagles, his brand will explode again. His agent is loving this move bc it's no risk/high reward. Like I said before, tebow will always have TV.

msstate7
04-20-2015, 01:16 PM
By getting all these qb's that have flaws, Kelly is setting himself up to be the next bill Walsh or the next HC at lsu (college team somewhere) imo

BiscuitEater
04-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Yawn. Tim Tebow has 42-26 approval among "very liberal" people and 43-14 among "somewhat liberal" people. Also 41-19 among Obama voters and 44-17 among self-identified Democrats. (citation (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_FL_32615.pdf)). I'm certainly in the plurality.

But I guess it's more fun to make up a persecution complex, isn't it?

Can' believe you just cited a Poll taken from "..923 registered Florida voters ."

A poll made up of 100% Florida voters IS NOT going to tell you ANYTHING about what 95%of the country thinks about Tim Tebow. Big % love him 'cause he won the NC for the Gators .. big % 'hate him' 'cause he won a NC for the gators. BUT Florida does not mirror the rest of the 'real world.'

Remember .. reading is fundamental!

BulldogDX55
04-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Can' believe you just cited a Poll taken from "..923 registered Florida voters ."

A poll made up of 100% Florida voters IS NOT going to tell you ANYTHING about what 95%of the country thinks about Tim Tebow. Big % love him 'cause he won the NC for the Gators .. big % 'hate him' 'cause he won a NC for the gators. BUT Florida does not mirror the rest of the 'real world.'

Man, you Tebow fans are desperate to be Martyrs.

Don't forget that Florida voters includes Miami, FSU, UCF, and USF fans.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Man, you Tebow fans are desperate to be Martyrs.

I might agree with you somewhat but we don't know the demographic of the voters. Based on that and the fact we do know is only Florida voters then you have to discount the poll given what we do know. As far as we know it could have been a question asked only on the campus of Florida to students who are registered Dem.

BulldogDX55
04-20-2015, 02:26 PM
I might agree with you somewhat but we don't know the demographic of the voters. Based on that and the fact we do know is only Florida voters then you have to discount the poll given what we do know. As far as we know it could have been a question asked only on the campus of Florida to students who are registered Dem.

That's not how polling works, usually.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Well I was being facetious about the Florida students only being questioned but my point was the demographic could completely skew the results. Being a Florida residents only poll should definitely make anyone question the data presented as anything but a skewed poll.

And I do know as a fact that polling on a college campus is done regularly. If that is what you were referring to as not usually done.

Dawg61
04-20-2015, 02:35 PM

Ok now post their records. Until he stops winning he deserves to still play. Does QBR account for rushing stats?

Here I'll help you.

Sam Bradford 18 wins 30 losses
Chad Henne 18 wins 35 losses
Geno Smith 11 wins 18 losses
Mark Sanchez is actually respectable 41 wins 35 losses

Also it's interesting that 3 of these QBs are Eagles now.

BiscuitEater
04-20-2015, 02:49 PM

All this poll can answer is "what less than 1000 random FLORIDA residents think of Tim Tebow." PERIOD

Saying that liberals or conservatives or anybody besides this audience think .. doesn't translate.

I do assessment and analysis. I write survey questions to get answers to determine utility. This poll is ONLY about Floridians attitudes.

Dawg61
04-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Tebow's winning % is 9th best in the league btw. He's ahead of Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Cam Newton, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford and a whole bunch more. He wins games. Till he doesn't he deserves a spot in the NFL.

BiscuitEater
04-20-2015, 02:53 PM

you proved my point. A much greater % of 'registered voters' in FLORIDA know 'who' Tim Tebow is and skews the poll. My issue is with citing the poll and methodology to say something that it doesn't.

BeardoMSU
04-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Tebow's winning % is 9th best in the league btw. He's ahead of Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Cam Newton, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford and a whole bunch more. He wins games. Till he doesn't he deserves a spot in the NFL.

Putting Tim in the same sentence with these names in relation to "winning" is beyond absurd.

Dawg61
04-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Putting Tim in the same sentence with these names in relation to "winning" is beyond absurd.

And yet he still has a higher winning percentage than them. You play to win the game. Herm Edwards taught us that one. Of the 63 QBs with atleast 10 starts in the NFL Tim Tebow has a higher winning percentage THAN 54 OF THEM!!

BulldogDX55
04-20-2015, 03:52 PM

And yet he still has a higher winning percentage than them. You play to win the game. Herm Edwards taught us that one. Of the 63 QBs with atleast 10 starts in the NFL Tim Tebow has a higher winning percentage THAN 54 OF THEM!!

Again, I bring up the Jordan Jefferson in 2011 example.

msstate7
04-20-2015, 04:21 PM

Denver was 4-12 the 2 years tebow was there that he didn't start. Tebow was 9-7 with a playoff win. That great Denver defense helped get the Broncos a 1-4 record before tebow took over. That defense got pretty dang good bc tebow helped Denver lead the league in rushing. To say tebow had nothing to do with the transformation is ridiculous

BeardoMSU
04-20-2015, 04:26 PM
And yet he still has a higher winning percentage than them.

You don't understand the concept of "sample size" do you? Jeeze...

scottycameron
04-20-2015, 05:40 PM

Damn sure not bothering to look it up but I dont temember him ever playing, much less winning. I find that hard to believe.

BulldogDX55
04-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Damn sure not bothering to look it up but I dont temember him ever playing, much less winning. I find that hard to believe.

Undefeated going into the national championship game, was bad, was saved by freakish defense that had like more than a dozen first round draft picks? Sorry your football knowledge is that limited.

scottycameron
04-20-2015, 06:02 PM

Nice. Throw Tebow in with a wifebeater, child abuser, and a queer. Doubt you even realize it, it's become subconscious with you kids.
Go ahead and throw Hernandez in there, maybe he can get off on appeal and get back in the league

BeardoMSU
04-20-2015, 06:04 PM
and a queer.

Why don't you get the 17 out of here with that shit, dick-hole.

Quaoarsking
04-20-2015, 06:25 PM

Well, unfortunately no polling firm has bothered to ask about Tim Tebow in any other state than Florida, but aside from higher name recognition, I don't see any reason why it would make a difference. Of all of the Americans who have an opinion on Tebow, Florida is going to have a disproportionately large share anyway.

Yes, Florida fans are going to like him regardless of their politics, and Florida State fans are going to hate him regardless of their politics. However, as the poll shows, the two schools are almost even in their fandom (23% like Florida and 22% like Florida State), so that's going to wash out on the net favorability rating.

In fact, the poll shows that Florida State fans are a little bit more likely to have voted for Obama in 2012, so if anything, this poll is understating Tebow's popularity with liberals, because a good chunk of that 19% of Democrats who don't like him are just FSU fans who would hate him if he were Mr. Superliberal.

So the hometown effect of Florida does give him higher name recognition, but there's no reason to believe that the net favorability rating would be any different in any other state.

Actually, we do know the demographics of the voters. It's all there in the link I cited (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_FL_32615.pdf)

Public Policy Polling is not just some funzie poll of UF students -- it's a national polling firm that generally asks political/voting questions but also asks about sports/celebrities some too. PPP was the most accurate pollster in the 2012 election (more info here (http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/polls/266615-study-finds-ppp-kos-the-most-accurate-pollsters-in-2012)), and missed the mark in 2014. I'm not trying to incite a debate on which polling companies are the most reliable -- PPP is the only one I can find that bothered to ask, and Tebow has enough cushion in his liberal favorability that it doesn't really matter if the poll is a few points off. I'd certainly be interested in Gallup or another firm had asked this question before.

All this poll can answer is "what less than 1000 random FLORIDA residents think of Tim Tebow." PERIOD

Saying that liberals or conservatives or anybody besides this audience think .. doesn't translate.

I do assessment and analysis. I write survey questions to get answers to determine utility. This poll is ONLY about Floridians attitudes.

Again, why would liberals in Mississippi or New York or Oregon have different opinions on Tim Tebow than Floridian liberals who don't care about college football? (Even if both Florida and Florida State have 1,000,000 rabid superfans each, which is likely an overestimate, that's 90% of the state who aren't rabid superfans who would base their opinion of a guy on what football team he played for 6 years ago.) Like I said, any fanbase-related skewing should cancel out or even slightly skew liberals against Tebow. Remember, it's not like Tebow is just barely a net positive with liberals -- it's overwhelming.

As far as the "1000 random Florida residents" go, 1000 is way more than enough of a sample if it's truly random. Because it's done by a repudiable national poster, I feel confident in saying it's sufficiently random, and it's not like Tebow's favorability among anyone is close to the margin of error.

I'll say this -- I realize this one poll isn't rocksolid proof that most liberals love Tebow or anything, but it is solid evidence to suggest that the "persecuted right-wing Christian" hypothesis that Tebow is hated by liberals is likely not correct. It's a whole lot more evidence to Tebow's popularity among liberals than they've ever provided, or ever will provide, of Tebow's supposed unpopularity among liberals...

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Good lord I was being factious about the polling Florida student only comment. How was that not understood? And the demographics linked are fine except it is still a very skewed sample vs the rest of the country and all the questions were geared toward Florida issues. The rest of the countries opinion will be very different. No matter how you spin it, of all states that is the one state that you have to question and look at a much more complex sample, dig deeper to have a better understanding of the people polled for that state.

That being said they are very reputable, I don't dispute that. I just disagree completely that a national survey will be the same as a Florida only.

BiscuitEater
04-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Public Policy Polling is not just some funzie poll of UF students -- it's a national polling firm that generally asks political/voting questions but also asks about sports/celebrities some too. PPP was the most accurate pollster in the 2012 election and missed the mark in 2014.

As far as the "1000 random Florida residents" go, 1000 is way more than enough of a sample if it's truly random. Because it's done by a repudiable national poster, I feel confident in saying it's sufficiently random, and it's not like Tebow's favorability among anyone is close to the margin of error. .

I have worked with them before. Give them a call .. they are nice folks. ASK them what they think about response bias, coverage bias and translation error WRT to 'showing that Florida's attitude toward Tim Tebow translates across the country.' 'Yea .. Proves .. If they like him in Florida .. they got to like him in California.'

Don't be embarrassed when they actually laugh in your face. Tell them .. for the upcoming 2016 election .. forget about the REST OF THE COUNTRY .. just sample 928 registered Florida voters. Report back.

lefty96
04-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Nice. Throw Tebow in with a wifebeater, child abuser, and a queer. Doubt you even realize it, it's become subconscious with you kids.
Go ahead and throw Hernandez in there, maybe he can get off on appeal and get back in the league

It is worth noting that the wife beater and child abuser can actually earn their checks.

Quaoarsking
04-20-2015, 07:59 PM
I have worked with them before. Give them a call .. they are nice folks. ASK them what they think about response bias, coverage bias and translation error WRT to 'showing that Florida's attitude toward Tim Tebow translates across the country.' 'Yea .. Proves .. If they like him in Florida .. they got to like him in California.'

Don't be embarrassed when they actually laugh in your face. Tell them .. for the upcoming 2016 election .. forget about the REST OF THE COUNTRY .. just sample 928 registered Florida voters. Report back.

<sigh> Show me a shred of evidence that Tebow has negative net approval among American liberals as a whole and I'll reconsider my position.

No one is arguing that Tebow has +21 approval among liberals across all of America. (I suspect he probably has close to that, but I'm not going to assert something I have no evidence for.) But Florida's liberals aren't so dissimilar to liberals in other states that they have dramatically different opinions than liberals in other states, especially on completely apolitical issues like the opinion of a football player who hasn't played since 2012 and has never publicly discussed his political beliefs.

For Tebow to have net negative approval among Americans a whole, Floridian liberals would have to be a huge aberration. That's just not going to be the case. Not only does Florida State have a similarly-sized rabid fanbase to cancel out the rabid Florida fans, it's just not that many people who are rabid enough football fans to base their opinions of a guy on where he played college football 6 years ago -- even if both fanbases have 1,000,000 diehard fans (which is too high), 90% of Floridians aren't rabid fans of either team and are unlikely to let Tebow's college team dictate whether they like him or not.

Again, he doesn't have to have +21 among liberals nationally for me to be right. I'm right if he's +1 nationally. The fact that he's +21 in the state that he by far has the highest name recognition is very strong evidence that I'm right. But by all means, if you can find evidence otherwise, please show me.

Dawg61
04-21-2015, 12:35 AM
Undefeated going into the national championship game, was bad, was saved by freakish defense that had like more than a dozen first round draft picks? Sorry your football knowledge is that limited.

LSU had mutiny happen right before the game. They had some linemen confront Miles and tell him they didn't want Jefferson starting because he'd been out getting drunk the night before. They threw the game because Miles started him anyways. That's the story I heard. Jordan Jefferson doesn't apply here though. Hell I can't think of a single player EVER, besides Tebow, in the history of football to go 8-5, win a playoff game and subsequently get blackballed from the league. For doing nothing wrong. 8-5 is 8-5 is 8-5 is 8-5. Eight wins. Five losses. That isn't supposed to get you the death penalty. Just for a second imagine what happens if Dickface John Elway doesn't sign Peyton Manning. Thought about it long enough? I fully believe that Tim Tebow would STILL be the starting QB because they would of kept winning. Tebow has some revenge to dish out and some kind of extreme motivation to make it back to being a starting QB. You really going to doubt this man can't do it? Please. Some of y'all need to do some more homework on the man.

BulldogDX55
04-21-2015, 07:08 AM
LSU had mutiny happen right before the game. They had some linemen confront Miles and tell him they didn't want Jefferson starting because he'd been out getting drunk the night before. They threw the game because Miles started him anyways. That's the story I heard. Jordan Jefferson doesn't apply here though. Hell I can't think of a single player EVER, besides Tebow, in the history of football to go 8-5, win a playoff game and subsequently get blackballed from the league. For doing nothing wrong. 8-5 is 8-5 is 8-5 is 8-5. Eight wins. Five losses. That isn't supposed to get you the death penalty. Just for a second imagine what happens if Dickface John Elway doesn't sign Peyton Manning. Thought about it long enough? I fully believe that Tim Tebow would STILL be the starting QB because they would of kept winning. Tebow has some revenge to dish out and some kind of extreme motivation to make it back to being a starting QB. You really going to doubt this man can't do it? Please. Some of y'all need to do some more homework on the man.

No he wouldn't be because he is a bad NFL quarterback.

Really Clark?
04-21-2015, 07:57 AM
<sigh> Show me a shred of evidence that Tebow has negative net approval among American liberals as a whole and I'll reconsider my position.

No one is arguing that Tebow has +21 approval among liberals across all of America. (I suspect he probably has close to that, but I'm not going to assert something I have no evidence for.) But Florida's liberals aren't so dissimilar to liberals in other states that they have dramatically different opinions than liberals in other states, especially on completely apolitical issues like the opinion of a football player who hasn't played since 2012 and has never publicly discussed his political beliefs.

For Tebow to have net negative approval among Americans a whole, Floridian liberals would have to be a huge aberration. That's just not going to be the case. Not only does Florida State have a similarly-sized rabid fanbase to cancel out the rabid Florida fans, it's just not that many people who are rabid enough football fans to base their opinions of a guy on where he played college football 6 years ago -- even if both fanbases have 1,000,000 diehard fans (which is too high), 90% of Floridians aren't rabid fans of either team and are unlikely to let Tebow's college team dictate whether they like him or not.

Again, he doesn't have to have +21 among liberals nationally for me to be right. I'm right if he's +1 nationally. The fact that he's +21 in the state that he by far has the highest name recognition is very strong evidence that I'm right. But by all means, if you can find evidence otherwise, please show me.

I don't know and don't care what his ratings are. My point is a poll of only Florida residents taints the numbers. Even if the rest of the country lines up identically with this poll (I highly doubt it and suspect his approvals would be lower in a similar national demographic) I would still consider this an outlier vs the rest of the country. Simply because you dealing with a census who have the greatest potential for being biased over any other part of the country.

If the numbers were completely opposite I would feel the same way. It is not about discrediting what you are trying to say about liberals giving him a good approval rating. It's the skewed sample of the people polled. It would not matter what the results of this poll were, all it says is what I would have thought any way. Floridians liked him, even liberal ones. I could have guessed that. I know a ton of NON die hard State fans who do not keep up with sports near like we do and they like Eli and Payton. I know some that hated Eli while at UM and like him now once he was away from that school. How many here actually like Patrick Willis now he been gone a while? How about Duece McAllister? I know he was very poplar state wide even with State fans. I am sure a vast majority of those polled are the same and will feel a sense of pride for a player from their state doing so well in college. Even if he played for a team that was not their favorite. Not to mention that with so many having no opinion on the head coaching job at each school, you probably have a lot of name recognition bias as well. They approve of him because they just know the name and he did really well at Florida, IMO. Regardless, it is a skewed selection and does not speak for the rest of the country because of all samples in the nation you could have took, that has the highest potential of giving you incredibly skewed results.