PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Grizzles

It_Could_Happen
04-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Looking great early.. Anybody tuned in?

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm watching. Hopefully we can keep this up. Going from the best team in the NBA to the 4 seed in essentially 10 games sucked. Going to be a much harder road now.

BeastMan
04-19-2015, 09:23 PM
With the Blazers beat up like they are, this could be quick work

cbrunt29
04-19-2015, 09:32 PM
If Conley stays healthy, the Grizzlies could be a real force to be reckoned with. I love their style of play

dawgs
04-19-2015, 11:11 PM
With the Blazers beat up like they are, this could be quick work

Yeah Blazers looked like a contender early in the season with a much improved D and one of the best offenses in the NBA. Then the injuries started and kept piling on.

TheRef
04-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Yeah Blazers looked like a contender early in the season with a much improved D and one of the best offenses in the NBA. Then the injuries started and kept piling on.

Grizz are now 5-0 against the Blazers this season, including tonight's game.

BeastMan
04-20-2015, 05:48 AM
If Beno keeps playing like he has been, the Grizz are a real threat. Mark my words, they're a tough enough defense to give Golden State (a jump shooting team primarily) fits.

dawgs
04-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Grizz are now 5-0 against the Blazers this season, including tonight's game.

And that contradicts anything I said how?

TheRef
04-20-2015, 07:57 AM

It doesn't...just adding to your argument that the Grizzlies have the Blazers' number this year.

Bubb Rubb
04-20-2015, 07:59 AM
If Beno keeps playing like he has been, the Grizz are a real threat. Mark my words, they're a tough enough defense to give Golden State (a jump shooting team primarily) fits.

I agree and have felt this way all year. The Grizzlies beat them early in the year when they were playing well, too.

The Grizzlies have a huge advantage down low, and a healthy Tony Allen can contain Thompson or Curry. They just need to show up and do what they do. If Memphis starts settling for jumpers (like they've been doing a lot of lately), Golden State will get out in transition and make it a track meet. The Grizzlies can't hang with that.

Gotta finish Portland first, though. If the rest of this series goes like the first game did, the whole league will take notice.

BeastMan
04-20-2015, 08:13 AM
Agree with everything you said Bubb. The flip side of the potential Grizz-Warriors stylistic difference is that the Warriors can not bang with Memphis. I've said all year that Golden State and Atlanta aren't built for the post season b/c it's a different brand of basketball.

When we're talking about Golden State the whole game plan is you have to extend your defense to the 3 point line and never go under screens when you're guarding Curry. Where that leaves you weak is the paint but that's where the Grizz have the huge advantage. You might think this is a weird strategy but I'd love to see Conley and Jeff Green check Curry. Some Lee as well.

thf24
04-20-2015, 08:14 AM

Someone needs a Snickers.

Bubb Rubb
04-20-2015, 08:29 AM
Agree with everything you said Bubb. The flip side of the potential Grizz-Warriors stylistic difference is that the Warriors can not bang with Memphis. I've said all year that Golden State and Atlanta aren't built for the post season b/c it's a different brand of basketball.

When we're talking about Golden State the whole game plan is you have to extend your defense to the 3 point line and never go under screens when you're guarding Curry. Where that leaves you weak is the paint but that's where the Grizz have the huge advantage. You might think this is a weird strategy but I'd love to see Conley and Jeff Green check Curry. Some Lee as well.

They run a lot of high pick-and-pops with Draymond Green. If the Grizzlies go small some and play Jeff Green at the 4, you will see him pick up Curry or Thompson on switches occasionally. I have noticed Joerger putting Jeff Green on tough point guards lately, though, and his length has caused them problems. Chris Paul is an example. I don't think he can guard Curry though.

One other thing you mentioned....you have to go over, not under screens against GS. The Grizzlies have probably two of the best fight-through-screen defenders in the game in Conley and Allen. They just have to be healthy.

BeastMan
04-20-2015, 08:34 AM
I don't think anyone can guard Curry... My thinking is perhaps some athletic length can defend his jump shooting somewhat. He would have him off the dribble.

thf24
04-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Anyone think that maybe Joerger felt pretty confident about making it through any possible playoff path, so he took his foot off the gas a little to rest everyone up down the stretch? Started thinking that after seeing the great effort last night compared to the slide in the final part of the season.

Dawg Corps
04-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Anyone think that maybe Joerger felt pretty confident about making it through any possible playoff path, so he took his foot off the gas a little to rest everyone up down the stretch? Started thinking that after seeing the great effort last night compared to the slide in the final part of the season.

I think that's highly possible. Key injuries late in the regular season are killer.

It's probably not the most likely scenario, but I'd love to see the Grizz knock off the Warriors and the Wizards knock off the Hawks next round...

Bubb Rubb
04-20-2015, 09:44 AM

I don't buy it. They fell from #2 to #6 and had to have a loss by San Antonio on the last day of the season to squeak back to #5 and get home court advantage. Now they have to go through Golden State to reach the finals. Not insurmountable, but you'd rather face them in round three than round two. Hanging on to that two spot would've given them a much easier path to the finals.

It's possible that Joerger believes that seeding doesn't matter as much as rest, but I'm not sure I buy it. It would be a shame to see this team, after the season it had, lose to GS in the second round because they didn't have home court advantage.

Rayburn8
04-20-2015, 10:18 AM
If Tony Allen gets healthy, the Grizz will destroy Golden State. Conley on Curry and Allen on Klay. The splash brothers will still score some but Allen and Conley are two of the best perimeter defenders in the league. They would take away options A and B for GSW. Basketball is all.about matchups. While GSW is a better team. The Grizz would probably beat them in a seven game series because they are a matchup nightmare for GSW.

BeastMan
04-20-2015, 10:37 AM
If Tony Allen gets healthy, the Grizz will destroy Golden State. Conley on Curry and Allen on Klay. The splash brothers will still score some but Allen and Conley are two of the best perimeter defenders in the league. They would take away options A and B for GSW. Basketball is all.about matchups. While GSW is a better team. The Grizz would probably beat them in a seven game series because they are a matchup nightmare for GSW.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/146793/2902340-26331756.jpg