PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Spring Game thoughts

Coach34
04-19-2015, 01:25 PM
1. As I've been trying to tell our friends from Grenada Without The Lake- our only significant losses were Matthew Wells and Malcolm Johnson. That was an extremely crisp looking Spring Game. Having alot of guys returning that have played significant snaps is huge.

2. Dakota is one of the best QB's in the country and the He15man talk will again be in Sville most of the season after we beat LSU Sept 12th. The touch on the screens and intermediate routes gets better and better.
Fitz would be the best QB in Oxford. He is really developing. Having Staley and Williams limited this Spring really allowed him to grow this Spring. He looks good for a R-Fr- especially one that ran the Bone 2 years ago. And to think people say Staley throws the ball better than him- just make you excited about the QB position for us.

3. We are going to have a 3-headed monster at RB- so get ready. Shump will play because he is a Jr, pass blocks well, has good hands, and is a smart player. Lee is going to be an outstanding RB. Aeris will be good too- needs to mature some more. They all have really good hands- that is a great luxury. No 1,000 yard rusher for us in 2015- but the run game will be better. More physical- downhill running. That will wear on teams.

4. Never in my life did I think State and Ole Missus would have the best groups of WR's in the SEC. That just might be the case in 2015. Wilson is All-SEC and Ross is going to breakout. Stonehands (yep- he dropped another), Gray, Myles, Freddie B...plus others....Walley has great hands and looks like Dwight Clark out there (google it youngsters). And like Clark- he has to play more physical at times though. We threw for 3650 last year starting RoJo all season and Myles getting experience as a R-Fr- We may go for 4K this year.

5. Starting OL looked like its coming together. They held Nick James a couple of times- but so will everybody else we play if he stays in this kind of shape. Warren needs to keep working hard and build on the good Spring he had. The 2nd OL pass-blocked well. Flowers and Jenkins look good together on the left side. For the 1st time under Mullen- we have 10 linemen that can play.

6. DL- 1st group is really ****ing good. Brown and Jones are draft picks. James and Jefferson are trying to become draft picks and well on their way. Thomas is as advertised- and will do a good job as a back-up. He and Adams give us a good 2-deep at DT. Our back-up DE's should give us enough depth. This is the only place we really absolutely need to avoid a season-ending injury

7. Brown Brothers are as expected. Green is going to play need some others to get better here. We're not as good at Cheetah's position as we were last year- got to get better at OLB.

8. Veterans looked good in the Secondary. Thank you Coman for pulling off on Bear in the red zone- and thank you a 2nd time for actually breaking on the ball and being where you should be. Good to have Jiles back- stay healthy young man. Going against the caliber of WR we have makes these guys better.

9. Bama is a little down, LSU is below average at QB, A&M is soft, UPig lost some very good guys on the DL. Ole Missus is at home. This is our shot to win the West. Schedule give us LSU, Bama, and Ole Missus at home. We need to stay healthy on the DL, get better at OLB and Safety, and get a break here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKnG06-oYcg

In Mullen We Trust,

C34

FlabLoser
04-19-2015, 01:54 PM
I think Arkansas will be a threat for the SECW. I think they don't win it, but they will make some noise.

Statefan
04-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Coach, I know what our normal trends are in terms of run vs pass, but do you see us passing the ball more this year with Daks knowledge of the offense and the better WRs?

Coach34
04-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Coach, I know what our normal trends are in terms of run vs pass, but do you see us passing the ball more this year with Daks knowledge of the offense and the better WRs?

Last year we were 57.8% run/42.2% pass. I'd hope we dont deviate away from that with big, physical RB's that will wear defenses down. It's not so much how many times you pass- but getting big plays out of the passing game.

Our offense is based out of the QB being a runner- I dont see that changing. But I do like the screens being added back to the offense- could be big for us

BulldogBear
04-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Last year we were 57.8% run/42.2% pass. I'd hope we dont deviate away from that with big, physical RB's that will wear defenses down. It's not so much how many times you pass- but getting big plays out of the passing game.

Our offense is based out of the QB being a runner- I dont see that changing. But I do like the screens being added back to the offense- could be big for us

This^

On another note: Strange thing to bring up because I was not at the spring game---> I was impressed by Walley last year. He made some big catches, but it seems I remember he had a tendency to fumble after making the catch. We got really lucky on one of those against Auburn or TAMU that bounced forward about 15 yard and went out of bounds. Any of that the yesterday?

Todd4State
04-19-2015, 05:04 PM

Hell yes! I'm not sure why we went away from them as much as we did.

Dallas_Dawg
04-19-2015, 05:13 PM
I saw where AJ Jefferson tackled the ball carrier AND the TE blocking him at the time. Completely drove his guy into the ball carrier and then slammed both of them. It was a bad ass play that only bad asses can make.
Did Chris Jones play a lot? Did he stand out? Whats going on if either of these answers is no?

Coach34
04-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Did Chris Jones play a lot? Did he stand out? Whats going on if either of these answers is no?

Yes he played and did well- but our 1st OL was blocking him and it's going to be good.

Drew2425
04-19-2015, 09:23 PM
On a different note I did see Chris Jones out at dinner Saturday Night with a walking boot on. I'm sure it was precautionary but worth noting.

GreenheadDawg
04-19-2015, 09:35 PM
On a different note I did see Chris Jones out at dinner Saturday Night with a walking boot on. I'm sure it was precautionary but worth noting.

Haha not this shit again. I think we are being invaded

Drew2425
04-19-2015, 09:41 PM

Not trying to start anything. Just stating what I saw. I don't think it was anything serious.

BulldogBear
04-19-2015, 09:45 PM
(whistles casually and steps out of range to watch)

Coach34
04-19-2015, 09:47 PM
We love our walking boots...Jones is fine

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 09:57 PM

Chris has been wearing a boot.

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 09:58 PM

http://i.imgur.com/wzx6J8a.gif

http://i.imgur.com/rTjkVGl.gif

GreenheadDawg
04-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Chris has been wearing a boot.

Oh I don't doubt that. Im sure half the team is. This is something we should come to expect.

Todd4State
04-19-2015, 11:19 PM

Welcome to the board Gary Danielson.

For context- during the Kentucky game it seemed like Danielson was almost hoping that Dak would have some sort of injury during the game so that they could discuss it.

thf24
04-19-2015, 11:42 PM
Welcome to the board Gary Danielson.

For context- during the Kentucky game it seemed like Danielson was almost hoping that Dak would have some sort of injury during the game so that they could discuss it.

That game made me lose any respect I had for him. His tone of voice was downright gleeful when pointing out that Dak limped off the field after his touchdown run.

tcdog70
04-20-2015, 10:36 AM
I think Mullen would love to run the ball more than pass. But what I like this year is the fact that if a Team stops our run then we have the ability to pass. I don't think anyone can stop both. Some teams run to set up the pass and visa versa. But we can do both.Any team that puts 8 in the box will be exploited By Dak and our WRs. We will have the best offense in the SEC. Yes I am Wooly. I hope for 2 things--Dan to not be cute in the RED Zone and For Dak to learn to throw Bear a fade.

Political Hack
04-20-2015, 10:39 AM
the fact that everyone is bragging about both, the OL and the DL, concerns me.

BiscuitEater
04-20-2015, 02:12 PM
We are going to have a 3-headed monster at RB- so get ready. Shump will play because he is a Jr, pass blocks well, has good hands, and is a smart player. Lee is going to be an outstanding RB. Aeris will be good too- needs to mature some more. They all have really good hands- that is a great luxury. No 1,000 yard rusher for us in 2015- but the run game will be better. More physical- downhill running. That will wear on teams.

But I think we end up with two 1000 yard rushers .. like last year. JRob had over 1200 yards on the ground (+370 via pass) and Dak had 986 yards on the ground himself.

Dak has picked up a few things .. will play smarter this year, avoiding sacks, getting OB after runs.

Political Hack
04-20-2015, 02:15 PM
But I think we end up with two 1000 yard rushers .. like last year. JRob had over 1200 yards on the ground (+370 via pass) and Dak had 986 yards on the ground himself.

Dak has picked up a few things .. will play smarter this year, avoiding sacks, getting OB after runs.

I think Dak will hit a grand too. Not so much on the RBs, but I'll be very happy to be wrong on that one.

BiscuitEater
04-20-2015, 02:16 PM
I was impressed by Walley last year. He made some big catches, but it seems I remember he had a tendency to fumble after making the catch. We got really lucky on one of those against Auburn or TAMU that bounced forward about 15 yard and went out of bounds. Any of that the yesterday?

Walley had 4 catches .. for 49 yards in 2014 .. long was 20 yards. Think he only had one fumble .. when he was hit after the catch and the ball went OB. Can't find where he had another fumble.

maroonmania
04-20-2015, 04:00 PM

I'm actually thinking Dak may run slightly less this year given the passing weapons we have and wanting to show off Dak's throwing ability a little more for the NFL scouts. He'll certainly still run when needed but there may be more of an attempt to keep him fresh and injury free.

LC Dawg
04-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Walley had 4 catches .. for 49 yards in 2014 .. long was 20 yards. Think he only had one fumble .. when he was hit after the catch and the ball went OB. Can't find where he had another fumble.

I'm pretty sure that fumble was during the downpour in the Auburn game. I remember my heart skipping a beat before it went out of bounds.
I wonder if Walley can block A.J. Jefferson.

Coach34
04-20-2015, 04:41 PM
I'm actually thinking Dak may run slightly less this year given the passing weapons we have and wanting to show off Dak's throwing ability a little more for the NFL scouts. He'll certainly still run when needed but there may be more of an attempt to keep him fresh and injury free.

and here we go again- no. Dakota is to run it another 175+ times this year because THAT IS WHAT OUR OFFENSE IS DESIGNED TO DO.