PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we redshirt Damian Williams this fall?

Quaoarsking
04-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Similar to what Georgia did with Hutson Mason, holding him out a year that he wasn't going to contribute anyway to preserve his eligibility for a later year that he might contribute.

I don't know if DW ever will be our starter, but if he does win the job in 2016 as a senior, it sure would be a shame that we burned 3 years of eligibility for nothing when we could have burned just 2. Even if he doesn't win the job, I think he'd be more valuable as a 5th year senior backup in 2017 to Staley/Fitz than as a 3rd year junior backup to Dak in 2015 -- I can't see Dak getting benched for any reason this fall, but it might be nice to have a 5th year senior step in in 2017 if we need one in a pinch.

This all assumes Dak stays healthy, of course.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't. This year we have senior, junior, 2 RS freshmen , and a freshman qb we'll RS. That's 5. We'll add another qb this year, so we'll keep that number at 5. Personally, I don't like that many. I'd like that number at 4 somehow

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 12:29 AM
He won't be redshirted. It's a larger chance he's not here after the spring than getting a redshirt.

DudyDawg
04-19-2015, 01:46 AM
No

MaroomerMill
04-19-2015, 08:14 AM
What would be potential landing spots for williams then?

EngineerDawg
04-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Fullback??

Coach34
04-19-2015, 08:32 AM
He won't be redshirted. It's a larger chance he's not here after the spring than getting a redshirt.

This- my boy is all over it

Coach34
04-19-2015, 08:37 AM

Lafayette, Monroe, New Orleans, Jonesboro, Oxford, Cleveland, Ruston, Grambling, Itta Bena, Lorman, Jackson.....

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Lafayette, Monroe, New Orleans, Jonesboro, Oxford, Cleveland, Ruston, Grambling, Itta Bena, Lorman, Jackson.....

I see what you did there. Awesome!

RougeDawg
04-19-2015, 11:02 AM

Speaking of New Orleans and a slight hijack, has anyone heard any recent rumors or rumblings about Tulane being a possible Big 12 target? I live a driver and a 3 iron away from the new on campus stadium. I have a feeling that if Tulane were to jump to a major conference, there would be an increase property values. Sorry to change subject, just popped into my mind.

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 11:05 AM

I wouldn't redshirt him but I wouldn't run him off either

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Speaking of New Orleans and a slight hijack, has anyone heard any recent rumors or rumblings about Tulane being a possible Big 12 target? I live a driver and a 3 iron away from the new on campus stadium. I have a feeling that if Tulane were to jump to a major conference, there would be an increase property values. Sorry to change subject, just popped into my mind.

Yuh your house will be worth 2% more because the Big 12 has Texas in it.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't redshirt him but I wouldn't run him off either

Me either & im not saying we are. Just that some kids want to play & his clock is ticking.

RougeDawg
04-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Yuh your house will be worth 2% more because the Big 12 has Texas in it.

I'll take 2%. Better than 0%.

Dawg61
04-19-2015, 11:38 AM
I'll take 2%. Better than 0%.

Lol I was just joking but in all seriousness I do think a nice stadium within walking distance to your house will increase its value and having that team in the Big 12 will make for some nice out of state teams visiting close by. You could rent out your home for each home game and make enough to buy season tickets for all three MSU sports. You just can't go home for 7 weekends.

Ralph
04-19-2015, 11:41 AM

That would prob be the smartest thing for him. He could start at a lot of P5 schools.

Coach34
04-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Thats a beautiful area. When I got started in condom sales- I had to sell to Tulane and Touro Hospital. Whats that little sport bar at the end of St Charles?

Covercorner2
04-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Thats a beautiful area. When I got started in condom sales- I had to sell to Tulane and Touro Hospital. Whats that little sport bar at the end of St Charles?

Cooter Browns. That's my stomping grounds...

Quaoarsking
04-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Well, I hope we don't have a moment in 2017 where we wish we had a 5th-year senior QB to come in in a pinch.

I think that's a whole lot more likely than wishing we had DW this fall. If DW can't win the #2 QB job this fall anyway, where are we going to find snaps for him? I would think we'd want Staley and Fitzgerald to get all the garbage time snaps anyway.

smootness
04-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Well, I hope we don't have a moment in 2017 where we wish we had a 5th-year senior QB to come in in a pinch.

I think that's a whole lot more likely than wishing we had DW this fall. If DW can't win the #2 QB job this fall anyway, where are we going to find snaps for him? I would think we'd want Staley and Fitzgerald to get all the garbage time snaps anyway.

He's much more valuable this year when Staley and Fitzgerald still don't have game experience than a couple years from now when we'll have several other guys who have been around a while.

Mason was redshirted by UGA because he and Murray would have graduated together otherwise. Williams is not considered our future at QB, so it's not going to happen.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Also in 2017 if 1 our 2 RS Jr QB's can't handle the moment then we've done something wrong.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Also in 2017 if 1 our 2 RS Jr QB's can't handle the moment then we've done something wrong.

Yeah or tiano. If we miss on all 3, we have problems

99jc
04-19-2015, 02:02 PM
nm

Coach34
04-19-2015, 02:45 PM
of course its a joke

DistrictDawg92
04-19-2015, 09:20 PM
I think it's pretty obvious DW will never start for us. He's a good team player, but he is just not physically comparable to the other 4 QB's we will have on our roster. Remember we snagged him from USM right before signing day bc we missed on everyone else we were after. He was committed to USM bc he is simply not a SEC QB. Nothing against him but it makes no sense to redshirt him and allow him to fill a scholarship for an extra year when in all honesty, he will probably never crack the 3-deep again in his career.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 09:32 PM
I think it's pretty obvious DW will never start for us. He's a good team player, but he is just not physically comparable to the other 4 QB's we will have on our roster. Remember we snagged him from USM right before signing day bc we missed on everyone else we were after. He was committed to USM bc he is simply not a SEC QB. Nothing against him but it makes no sense to redshirt him and allow him to fill a scholarship for an extra year when in all honesty, he will probably never crack the 3-deep again in his career.

I agree with a lot of what you said but I don't think him being committed to USM meant he wasn't going to be a good player. Fitzgerald had 0 other offers.

codeDawg
04-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Keep in mind DW is the only guy on the roster not named Dak that has played in a college football game (and won too, btw). Let the guy recover from surgery and compete before you pass judgement.

He would be likely to have a very successful career at ULM though...

codeDawg
04-19-2015, 09:49 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said but I don't think him being committed to USM meant he wasn't going to be a good player. Fitzgerald had 0 other offers.

Exactly. Damien is a much better QB than a lot of guys we have had line up under center in the maroon and white in the past.

DistrictDawg92
04-19-2015, 11:21 PM

Yeah it is true that Fitz had zero other offers, but not for the same reason as Damien Williams and their situations are not really comparable. Damien Williams didn't have any other SEC offers because of his size and abilities. Fitz didn't have any other offers because of the offense he ran in high school, which prevented him to be exposed, also he didn't play quarterback until his senior year. He really is a steal and we were lucky to be the only ones that could see his true potential. The thing to be happy about is that Williams is probably the 4th best QB on our team, but would have probably started at QB for us from right after Madkin until Dak. It is nice to have some real talent and depth at the QB position for once.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 11:25 PM
Yeah it is true that Fitz had zero other offers, but not for the same reason as Damien Williams and their situations are not really comparable. Damien Williams didn't have any other SEC offers because of his size and abilities. Fitz didn't have any other offers because of the offense he ran in high school, which prevented him to be exposed, also he didn't play quarterback until his senior year. He really is a steal and we were lucky to be the only ones that could see his true potential. The thing to be happy about is that Williams is probably the 4th best QB on our team, but would have probably started at QB for us from right after Madkin until Dak. It is nice to have some real talent and depth at the QB position for once.

I still disagree. He didn't have a SEC offer but had 2 Big 12 offers (Kansas St & Nebraska) along with several other non Power 5 conference offers. I think Fitz & Staley are more talented I just think you're selling short Williams abilities.

Bothrops
04-20-2015, 03:11 AM
I'd rather have Williams than any qb in Oxford right now. I say that because he's a better football player than any of those guys.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 06:55 AM
I'd rather have Williams than any qb in Oxford right now. I say that because he's a better football player than any of those guys.

I agree with that. Would have been interesting to see how we would have developed Kincade though.