PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Thoughts on Spring Game

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2015, 11:51 PM
I just got done watching the Spring Game, & here are some quick thoughts....

1. We have an NFL QB. Enjoy it. Dak came back for his SR. year in order to take the next step in his progression in being an NFL QB, & I couldn't be more impressed with the strides he has already made in 3 months. His feel for the passing game has developed a good bit since the Orange Bowl. His touch on the short & intermediate routes is far more advanced than last season & his ability to manipulate the pocket & his arm action to create more time or get ball off on hot routes is impressively better. Purely, Dak has mastered this offense & is playing fast & confident. Only negative I saw was his fade route is still a little flat. However, if you would have told me that Donovan McNabb was playing QB in our Spring Game today, I wouldn't have argued.

2. Our WR corp is very very good, & the chemistry that Bear & Ross have with Dak is even better. If Gray, Brown, Dear, Thomas, & Morrow can develop the same, we are going to be incredibly difficult to stop.

3. O-line. This is tough to really evaluate because the first team offensive line was playing with the #2 skill positions. However, I will say this: there are some very good looking bodies & athletes on the line, & I don't think they'll have to do much. Dr. Dak is so advanced in this offense, &, with his developing ability to be more efficient with the short & intermediate routes, the offensive line won't have to be elite for us to score a lot of points. They just can't blow blocking schemes and allow guys to run free. Dak is going to wear teams out on hot routes.

4. Shumpert is a pounder & Aries has a few good runs, but Dontavian Lee is the guy IMO. He reminds me of Clinton Portis. He does three things extremely well: He has VISION, DECISIVENESS, & A BURST IN FIRST STEP OUT OF A CUT. He doesn't mess around. He is a one cut & go guy that has plus vision & isn't afraid of contact. We spend way to much time caring about a running back's speed, size, etc. The most important tools are VISION & DECISIVENESS and Lee has both. He simply sees the field and it's not hard to notice that after watching him run two or three times.

5. Fitzgerald looked good. He has all the tools & should be very good in time. His problem is that he faces off against Dak & in doing so, looks much more sloppy. Dak runs such a clean, smooth, well oiled machine offense, that when Fitz is on the field, things look sloppy, when, in fact, he does a good job.

We have a chance to be really, really good this fall.

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 11:59 PM
I totally agree about Dak. I'm expecting Jedi Master type mastery of the offense and I'm expecting him to take things to the next level. But we now have the weapons and the o-line to totally support him.

I still think Shumpert will be THE guy though.

dawgs
04-19-2015, 06:34 AM
Fitzgerald was a bit quicker than I expected to be honest. His reads need some work, but that'll come with experience.