PDA

View Full Version : MSU spring thoughts via twitter and MB

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Disclaimer, I did not get to go to the game or watch it. Yet. I'm sure it will be replayed ad nauseum on the SEC Network though. So, I MIGHT be a little off here. And if you say "what? didn't you watch the game?" The answer is no.

QB- Dak is going to be even better. He completions = more than two Ole Miss QB's combined. Same for Nick Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald is going to be our "wishbone high school QB that everyone overlooked because his team didn't throw the ball" that becomes a star and everyone wonders where he came from.

ATH- Malik Dear- I'm kind of glad he didn't play because now we get to unleash him on the SEC and surprise everybody. To me, he is the x-factor that we've never really had at MSU under Dan that Mullen enjoyed at Florida that really made the offense explosive. We can line him up at RB and at slot. I don't think we will use him like Perkins at all. I think we will use him like Percy Harvin. He's going to be part of the reason we won't miss Josh.

RB- Shumpert, Lee, and Aeries. I really hope we use these guys as a three headed monster the way that Jackie used Davis and Bouie. The thing is, Shumpert and Aeries can catch the ball. Shumpert probably carries the load though.

WR- I think we start Bear, and Morrow. Bear is a three year guy. I think Morrow starts because he is a senior and he is a good blocker. If it's Fred Brown that starts- that's fine too.

Slot- I approve of what I heard about Fred Ross and how he was used. So, my questions were answered there. I still think Gray ends up here eventually. Gabe Myles is a good depth guy.

H-Back- Gus Walley. He is improving and is going to be a solid lunch pail type of guy for us. I like seeing guys like this do well.

LT- Rufus Warren- I'm glad to hear that he is doing well. Rankin could take his job- I guess. My money is on Warren holding him off though.

LG- Justin Malone- Very solid proven player.

C- Jamaal Clayborn- First year at center, but I have always liked him. He started some as a true freshman, how often does that happen?

G- Devon Desper- I think he is more athletic than Beckwith, and it makes me wonder if we will see more counters and things like that than we did the past couple of years. Also, I think it's awesome that Hevesey allegedly has recruiting issues, and yet he's about to start three guys side by side from MRA, JA, and Madison Central- which are three big Ole Miss football hot beds allegedly. Our State.

T- Justin Senior- Another proven solid performer like Malone that probably will get a NFL look. The question here is does Damien Robinson make the team? Does Rankin redshirt?

DE- AJ Jefferson and Ryan Brown- That's a pretty solid duo. AJ reminds me a little bit of Edward Smith at DE. Brown is reliable and has started out. The question is can he take it to Preston Smith level next year?

DT- Chris Jones and Nick James. That's a pretty scary duo. I think Nick James starts over Adams, but it's going to go down to the wire in August.

LB- Beniquez Brown, Richie Brown, and Gerri Green- The question for me is can Gerri Green cover well enough? He did have an INT today, so maybe. I heard that Richie Brown was all of the field today and has picked it up another gear. Beniquez is a highly intelligent football player, but he also has the athleticism to back it up. I fear that Zach Jackson starts. If he does, at least Manny will blitz him more than Geoff did.

CB- Redmond and Calhoun- that's our best duo since Smoot and Bean. Redmond is an elite three year talent kind of guy- and I guess he was only a three year guy thanks to Bracky. Calhoun is one of my favorites and I love it when he suplexes someone- particularly a former five star recruit from Ole Miss. Two stars my ass.

S- Jamal Peters and hopefully Kendrick Market- To me, our biggest question mark. I do think that Peters is an elite talent and can come in and play right away and do well. I don't say that about a lot of freshmen. I think Manny blitzing and attacking will help him out some. Market is a verteran and a very good player. My only question is how healthy he will be next year.

K/P/KO- I think Devon Bell wins all three jobs and does a decent job for us.

KR/PR- I hope it's Dear and Gray. It will probably be Holloway with Kent Flowers blocking for him taking Robert Johnson's spot and Dan will be stunned when it epicly fails.

Coach34
04-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Todd- Gray is not even remotely being considered at slot. Give it up Buddy.
The hands on our RB's are really, really good

Ifyouonlyknew
04-18-2015, 08:01 PM
No real issues with your offense summary except Gray staying outside. On defense I could those 3 LB's playing a lot together but Green at MLB & Richie sliding outside. Also I wouldn't be surprised if JT Gray was the 3rd LB. At CB Redmond & Calhoun the best tandem since Banks & Slay. At safety yall keep sleeping on Kivon Coman & he will just keep making plays. He played great today like he has all spring. He will be our best safety & it won't be close. KR looks to be Redmond & Fred Brown right now with Gray maybe stealing 1 of those spots. PR will be Ross again. Gray is explosive but he also muffed 3 or 4 punts last year can't risk that in the SEC.

Coach34
04-18-2015, 08:11 PM
No real issues with your offense summary except Gray staying outside. On defense I could those 3 LB's playing a lot together but Green at MLB & Richie sliding outside. Also I wouldn't be surprised if JT Gray was the 3rd LB. At CB Redmond & Calhoun the best tandem since Banks & Slay. At safety yall keep sleeping on Kivon Coman & he will just keep making plays. He played great today like he has all spring. He will be our best safety & it won't be close. KR looks to be Redmond & Fred Brown right now with Gray maybe stealing 1 of those spots. PR will be Ross again. Gray is explosive but he also muffed 3 or 4 punts last year can't risk that in the SEC.

I can see Dan has watched the film. We probably have the best CB tandem in the SEC
Coman is a player. Great shot today on Wilson in the redzone and you can tell he pulled up a little- had it been a Bearshark- snotbubbles.
We're sick at WR
Our RB's are big and physical- with good hands

Bottom line- we're good

BeardoMSU
04-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Bottom line- we're good

And no one but us know this fact; but they will all find out very soon.

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Cedric Jiles looked good also. If he is over his injury, he would probably start at another SEC school.

Pollodawg
04-18-2015, 09:14 PM
We will be just as good and maybe better this season than we were last year. This is the year we get the Crimson monkey off our backs, the EB is at home, same with the LSU, and UK. We will have to cook to get past Auburn and the Swine on the road, but it's doable. I don't know enough about TAMU to say.

stalkingpoon
04-18-2015, 09:22 PM
Redmond and Calhoun are gonna be very good together at CB, but I wouldn't say best since Smoot and Bean. We did just Have Banks and Slay a few years ago. Jiles and Coman seem to have progressed a little since last year so that should add depth. I'm excited about seeing our safeties next year with Peters, Market, Evans and B Bryant.

Gerri Green is a stud. 3 year guy that will be a top 10. I really like our DTs. CJ, Nick, both of the Adams brothers and Cory Thomas. I think Coleman, Harris, or Calvin can step up and help out at DE.

Bear, Morrow(Brown), and Ross starting wideouts. Dedrick Thomas, Dear and Gray are all gonna help out tremendously. I think our offense will light it up even more next season. Look for a lot of motions to the backfield for handoffs and reverses.

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Todd- Gray is not even remotely being considered at slot. Give it up Buddy.
The hands on our RB's are really, really good

It won't be the first time Dan has played someone out of position.

basedog
04-18-2015, 09:41 PM
I was really impressed with D. Lee today, big with good speed and tough. Fitz shows a lot of promise. But agin it's a spring game and everyone was playing not to get hurt most of the time. We should be really good on offense, I think it will be Dan's best so for.

shoeless joe
04-18-2015, 09:42 PM
I didn't get to watch it all...and what I did was on my phone while in the turkey woods...but these were my quick observations.

1) runnin backs were all solid: lee reminded me of Brandon Thornton (this is not a knock on lee, should say what we thought Thornton could have been), Williams; first name spelled AERIS and pronounced eris, reminded me of JJ.

2) starting D line looked good.

3) g. Green is huge

4) we have weapons all over on offense, really is ridiculous in this are, could be one of the deepest groups of wideouts around.

5) fitz is good

6) r. Brown was around almost every tackle

This is all just my opinion based on the parts of the game I saw

BulldogBear
04-18-2015, 09:43 PM
We will be just as good and maybe better this season than we were last year. This is the year we get the Crimson monkey off our backs, the EB is at home, same with the LSU, and UK. We will have to cook to get past Auburn and the Swine on the road, but it's doable. I don't know enough about TAMU to say.
On Texas A&M:

I don't either but I've stressed that until they emphasize and learn to consistantly play SEC calibre defense they don't overly concern me. I, and many many others (perhaps including you-I don't remember), thought and/or said last year going into the TAMU game that we would win and it wouldn't even be close. I'm not sure that I feel any different at this juncture going into this season.

I seen it dawg
04-18-2015, 09:45 PM
sec west championship to State.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-18-2015, 09:53 PM

He won't be out of position. You're wrong on this 1.

Pollodawg
04-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Who do we draw out of the East this season?

msstate7
04-18-2015, 10:28 PM
Who do we draw out of the East this season?

Kentucky and mizzou

Pollodawg
04-18-2015, 11:17 PM
Kentucky and mizzou

UK will be tougher than they were last season. Towles has an opportunity to be a darn good QB, but we should take that one at home, though the last several games in Starkville have been tighter than they should have been. I know nothing about Mizzou.

msstate7
04-18-2015, 11:22 PM
UK will be tougher than they were last season. Towles has an opportunity to be a darn good QB, but we should take that one at home, though the last several games in Starkville have been tighter than they should have been. I know nothing about Mizzou.

Back-to-back east champs... I expect a tough game, but I think we win

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 11:54 PM
Back-to-back east champs... I expect a tough game, but I think we win

On a Thursday night, I think Mizzou will be hyped up. I'm not expecting a cake walk. The good news is we have a bye week before Mizzou and we also have nine days to get ready for Bama- although I'm pretty sure we'll let our guys go home after the Mizzou game. Which I'm OK with.

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 11:55 PM

Didn't they light up the 1B's for the most part?

cujo
04-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Don't believe that B Bryant is going to turn out as good as once thought. We should still be fine with the two freshman coming in along with Coman. Hope Market full recovery- never know with that type injury.

Dallas_Dawg
04-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Gray looks like a man out there. A lot thicker than I thought he would be. Reminds me of Randall Cobb's body type

CadaverDawg
04-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Don't believe that B Bryant is going to turn out as good as once thought. We should still be fine with the two freshman coming in along with Coman. Hope Market full recovery- never know with that type injury.

Huh? Bryant is a redshirt Freshman playing in a Spring game. Smh

scottycameron
04-19-2015, 10:05 AM
"Disclaimer, I did not get to go to the game or watch it."

This is such a weird comment. I felt confused after reading the first line.

Regardless, we are going to be good, better than last year, and it doesn't take watching football in the spring to figure out where that could put us late next year. Dak just has to stay healthy.

cheewgumm
04-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Ole miss wouldn't have even recruited MGK if they had Fitzgerald.

This is where Mullen trumps Freeze and it's not close... Finding a talented QB and developing him. Look at Fitzgerald , it's unreal. I can't wait to see Staley!!

cheewgumm
04-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Dan just said we were the ONLY school to offer him a scholly... Crazy.

MaroomerMill
04-19-2015, 10:37 AM
I watched a lot of Gray in high school and he was most effective out wide and taking snaps out of a wild cat type package

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Gray looks like a man out there. A lot thicker than I thought he would be. Reminds me of Randall Cobb's body type

I thought the same thing. He looks like an SEC player, body-wise. Does he have 3 or 2 years to play?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2015, 10:52 AM
I thought the same thing. He looks like an SEC player, body-wise. Does he have 3 or 2 years to play?

3yrs

Coach34
04-19-2015, 11:18 AM
I watched a lot of Gray in high school and he was most effective out wide and taking snaps out of a wild cat type package

People seem to forget that Gray was the #1 player coming out of Tenn his Sr year according to alot of people- he good

defiantdog
04-19-2015, 04:03 PM

Gray is a wide out..... a lot of folks on here were just hoping he'd be put in the slot. He's the deep threat with wheels that we've been looking for

defiantdog
04-19-2015, 04:06 PM

Bryant has a lot of learning to do..... I may save your comment and repost it in 2 years to see if you still agree.

BulldogBear
04-19-2015, 04:16 PM
On a Thursday night, I think Mizzou will be hyped up. I'm not expecting a cake walk. The good news is we have a bye week before Mizzou and we also have nine days to get ready for Bama- although I'm pretty sure we'll let our guys go home after the Mizzou game. Which I'm OK with.

I'm making this trip (got fam in St. L). We better win!!!