PDA

View Full Version : Will the new stadium get built if we keep putting this on the field?

IMissJack
04-18-2015, 04:56 PM
This baseball is the most unexciting I remember in recent memory. With FB taking most of the money these days, and Howland getting basketball up and running, is baseball going to mean what it once did to MSU? If we are going to continue with this product of baseball, I really do not see the need for $40M stadium. Yet I keep getting information sent to me for donations to the new project.

Drugdog
04-18-2015, 04:58 PM
If I were SS, I would let Cohen know unless there is a change then no stadium. This is beyond awefull.

Coach34
04-18-2015, 04:59 PM
yes- we are breaking ground after next season

IMissJack
04-18-2015, 05:04 PM
If I were SS, I would let Cohen know unless there is a change then no stadium. This is beyond awefull.

If not Cohen, who would be considered?

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Why do people keep bringing this up? We are going to build the stadium no matter what. Did basketball being bad stop us from building the basketball facility? No.

You don't "fix" something by doing something to hurt your program and then expect things to get fixed. We're not dealing with kids in a toy store.

Coach34
04-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Our season sucking and the new ballpark are totally separate issues. We break ground the day after the last out at Dudy Noble next year

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 05:15 PM
This baseball is the most unexciting I remember in recent memory. With FB taking most of the money these days, and Howland getting basketball up and running, is baseball going to mean what it once did to MSU? If we are going to continue with this product of baseball, I really do not see the need for $40M stadium. Yet I keep getting information sent to me for donations to the new project.

Just build it. Trust me on this.

If you don't like Cohen, building this stadium will help us attract another really good coach when that time comes if that makes you feel better about it. Yes, odds are Cohen will likely be the first coach in the new stadium- but I highly doubt he will coach in it forever.

Our biggest issue lately has been recruiting. That's why we have the product that you are seeing on the field. We have a great class coming in- and part of the reason why is because they want to play in that new stadium. We are WAY behind most of the SEC as far as baseball stadiums go right now- and it's hurting us even if we have crowds like we did today.

Not building this stadium is LT level short sighted.

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Our season sucking and the new ballpark are totally separate issues. We break ground the day after the last out at Dudy Noble next year

Well the good news is since there is no chance in hell we will host we'll have more time to build. LOL.

Not to mention our last two road series are on the road.

MsStateBaseball
04-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Building it will entice recruits to look our way.

Homedawg
04-18-2015, 05:41 PM

You probably wouldn't have seen use for an airplane prior to it being invented, either. If you don't like it, don't contribute. It's not hard, no one is holding a gun to your head. It's going to get built.

Drugdog
04-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Building it will entice recruits to look our way.

Let's hope some recruits that are bigger than what we have now.

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Let's hope some recruits that are bigger than what we have now.

It's not the height of the player- heck, Wes Rea has got to be one of the biggest players in the SEC, it's the talent. Gridley is not that big. He's a pretty good player though. Jeffrey Rea was one of the best I have ever seen out of Mississippi- and maybe the best pure hitter I have ever seen out of the state. He was like 5'6 or smaller.

And this is not me trying to spin a short recruiting class- Riley is 6'2", Luke Alexander is 6'0", Mangum is 6'0", Pickett is 6'4"- too bad we aren't getting him, Blaylock is 6'2". Now yes Elih Marrero and Hunter Stovall are about 5'8"-5"10 but Marrero was the catcher for Team USA, so he can play. And Stovall has about 7-8 home runs right now and he's a quality player so he can play as well.

I'm not really sure why MSU fans get so hung up on how big our players are- even Palmeiro and Clark were guys that were about 6'0"- 6'2". Just one of those weird things about MSU fans I guess.

Bully13
04-18-2015, 07:28 PM
with all the sunshine that was pumped up our ass on the last 2 classes, I'm certainly not going to get excited about the incoming class until I see a competitive MSU baseball team. 1 great year, 1 when we got hot down in gainesville at that super, other than that, it's been the suck with cohen. it's frustrating as hell to see programs that don't put nearly as much as we do in baseball, and don't have near the fan support and fan enthusiasm as we do, just consistently kick our ass. their coaches prolly don't even make what ours do.

BossDawg
04-18-2015, 07:43 PM
If we are going to continue with this product of baseball, I really do not see the need for $40M stadium.

Srsly? I can see how something as spectacular as this new baseball stadium will impact recruiting. At the very least recruits will want to come see it. I would if I was an 18 year old baseball recruit anyway.

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 07:52 PM
with all the sunshine that was pumped up our ass on the last 2 classes, I'm certainly not going to get excited about the incoming class until I see a competitive MSU baseball team. 1 great year, 1 when we got hot down in gainesville at that super, other than that, it's been the suck with cohen. it's frustrating as hell to see programs that don't put nearly as much as we do in baseball, and don't have near the fan support and fan enthusiasm as we do, just consistently kick our ass. their coaches prolly don't even make what ours do.

Those schools that "don't care as much" also have better stadiums and nicer facilities than we do. So, with what we have now- does that say that our fan base "really cares"?

Bully13
04-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Those schools that "don't care as much" also have better stadiums and nicer facilities than we do. So, with what we have now- does that say that our fan base "really cares"?

you put a competitive product out on the field, and I'll show you a fan base that is equal to none. and despite the suckdom , I still want it built. build it. but let's fix the suck too.

Coach34
04-18-2015, 08:18 PM
What our people dont understand is that while LFL is still different- our stadium is is mid-level SEC now

State82
04-18-2015, 08:43 PM
What our people dont understand is that while LFL is still different- our stadium is is mid-level SEC now

And I don't know why many folks can't grasp this fact. As far as the actual quality of the facility, not necessarily size, when Bama moves into their's next season we will then be dead last in the west.

IMissJack
04-18-2015, 08:44 PM
You probably wouldn't have seen use for an airplane prior to it being invented, either. If you don't like it, don't contribute. It's not hard, no one is holding a gun to your head. It's going to get built.

Look dude, I want MSU to have the best of everything, and have in the past, which is why I keep getting asked to give more. But, there are a LOT of teams with much less than we have now, that would kick our ass. I'm happy it will be built and will likely donate some, but until our scholarship situation changes, we likely will not come close to winning like we did in the past. And I don't think a new stadium is going to fix that problem.

Bully13
04-18-2015, 08:45 PM
And I don't know why many folks can't grasp this fact. As far as the actual quality of the facility, not necessarily size, when Bama moves into their's next season we will then be dead last in the west.

not after what we end up building. we will be 2nd to none after we complete the project. then our bitching will be even more justified.

Coach34
04-18-2015, 08:49 PM
Look dude, I want MSU to have the best of everything, and have in the past, which is why I keep getting asked to give more. But, there are a LOT of teams with much less than we have now, that would kick our ass.

We are now a midlevel SEC stadium...Its time to upgrade

And when we do, better recruits will follow.

Liverpooldawg
04-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Some of you need to get a grip. Cohen had us in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL two years ago. We have NEVER been there before in ANY sport. You need to think about that for a moment. NOTHING is EVER on a continuous upward trajectory. Build the dang stadium if we have the money. We will get back where we were. The concept is simply STUNNING. It will have the same effect on recruits. It will be THE best in stadium in college baseball. NOTHING else will even be close. This rant from a NON-baseball fan.

BossDawg
And I don't think a new stadium is going to fix that problem.

It certainly won't make the problem worse.

Bully13
We are now a midlevel SEC stadium...Its time to upgrade

And when we do, better recruits will follow.

quit making excuses. based on our history and fan support, pay grade of coaches, cohen has underperformed. with or without a new stadium, cohen has overall failed. we will get the new stadium and I am glad that will happen. but the head guy needs to get his head out of his ass and not lose to programs with so much less.

losing to swac teams should not be in the definition of a MSU coach. Cohen's resume has that. he has YET to prove is worthy. his 7 year tenure does NOT represent what is expected for a MSU baseball coach.

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 09:00 PM
you put a competitive product out on the field, and I'll show you a fan base that is equal to none. and despite the suckdom , I still want it built. build it. but let's fix the suck too.

Is anyone here not advocating getting better players?

paco
04-18-2015, 09:00 PM
It is IGNORANT for anyone to think a disappointing season will dictate the direction of MSU Baseball.

Coach34
04-18-2015, 09:02 PM
quit making excuses. based on our history and fan support, pay grade of coaches, cohen has underperformed. with or without a new stadium, cohen has overall failed. .

horreyyyy shitttttt....In no way, shape, or form is this true. Cohen has led our school to the most successful season we have ever had- in any sport- that alone makes him the man. I get baffled by the shit he does- but you cant take that away from him

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Look dude, I want MSU to have the best of everything, and have in the past, which is why I keep getting asked to give more. But, there are a LOT of teams with much less than we have now, that would kick our ass. I'm happy it will be built and will likely donate some, but until our scholarship situation changes, we likely will not come close to winning like we did in the past. And I don't think a new stadium is going to fix that problem.

So we have to find other ways to level the playing field. You know- like building first class facilities. There is no ONE solution that is a magic bullet that will make us better immediately. But there is no doubt that having a really nice stadium helps. We have advantages that Georgia and Vanderbilt don't as well- we've gone head to head for recruits of both programs and have won in some of those cases. Georgia has a scholarship advantage- why aren't they kicking our ass in baseball if that's all it takes?

This current class that we have coming in was built around the time that we went to Omaha- that definitely helps immensely. I think that has had more to do with the types of recruits that we have been getting lately in the upcoming classes. We made a huge mistake loading up on JUCO's- and we're paying for it now. Lesson learned hopefully. Contrary to popular belief- we have coaches that are well respected in the game.

If you don't want to give money to it, that's your prerogative. But there is no reason to openly campaign against building it. At least not logically. I would assume from your OP that you are threatening from holding money because of lack of on the field wins. But now you are saying we'll never be all that good anyway. Maybe your expectations were too high to start with. I'm not sure what you really want. To me, worst case scenario is you have a nice place to go for SBW and whatever other games you go to.

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 09:18 PM
quit making excuses. based on our history and fan support, pay grade of coaches, cohen has underperformed. with or without a new stadium, cohen has overall failed. we will get the new stadium and I am glad that will happen. but the head guy needs to get his head out of his ass and not lose to programs with so much less.

losing to swac teams should not be in the definition of a MSU coach. Cohen's resume has that. he has YET to prove is worthy. his 7 year tenure does NOT represent what is expected for a MSU baseball coach.

His resume also has a CWS Finals appearance. I don't see that on Ron Polk's. He has also had to spend the first two years cleaning up Polk's mess. After he did that, he had four very good seasons. We're just now getting our scholarship situation fixed from where Polk messed it up- which is part of the reason why we have so many JUCO's and are paying for it now. We're also just now starting to get elite level recruits as well "that we expect" to come to MSU. On top of that, Cohen has had to deal with a split fan base at his own school and Ole Miss and USM doing everything that they could to hurt our program.

Be thankful we didn't end up with a Rick Ray situation after Polk left- because that's the kind of hire we would have ended up with had Cohen not wanted the job so badly.

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 09:19 PM
horreyyyy shitttttt....In no way, shape, or form is this true. Cohen has led our school to the most successful season we have ever had- in any sport- that alone makes him the man. I get baffled by the shit he does- but you cant take that away from him

No, but we have fans that will try. MSU fans forget about SR and CWS appearances because Piiiiiinnee-Bluff.

Liverpooldawg
04-18-2015, 09:20 PM

Cohen has UNDER PREFORMED? So he has to WIN the national championship, something we have never done in any sanctioned team sport, to MEET expectations. I'm sorry but that is TOTAL hogwash. Again, I'm NOT a baseball fan.

preachermatt83
04-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Chizik won a national championship... He must be a great coach too then***

I get sick of this talk about no talent... We have had 2 top ten classes in a row and a third that was top 25. It ain't a lack of talent, it's a lack of development. Period. We take good hitters and screw them up some how.

Todd4State
04-18-2015, 09:45 PM

I get sick of this talk about no talent... We have had 2 top ten classes in a row and a third that was top 25. It ain't a lack of talent, it's a lack of development. Period. We take good hitters and screw them up some how.

If our guys are talented, why are they going to JUCO first? Why aren't they picked up by some D-I school to start with?

And I'll say this about Chizek- he may not have been the coach that Auburn wanted or liked- but they sure as hell supported him and didn't pull their support because they weren't happy with him. Remember "All in"?

Coach34
04-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Chizik won a national championship... He must be a great coach too then*** .

Chizik was HC in title only. Malzahn ran the offense and had 100% control. Malzahn got tired of the BS and left Auburn to show them what they were without him. It took one year for them to bring him back.

Its' not remotely close to the same thing

Liverpooldawg
04-18-2015, 09:57 PM

Chizik bought Superman. Had we bought him we would have done the SAME ON THE FIELD if allowed to. Obviously WE would have been given the death penalty and he would have never played a down for us in the exact same circumstances so it's a moot point. Fact remains that John Cohen has taken a MSU team where NO other coach ever has. That that isn't enough for some of "OUR"
fans says more about said 'fans" than it does Cohen.

Bully13
04-18-2015, 10:12 PM
ahhh... let's start comparing football to baseball to make our points.. great analogy...********

Homedawg
04-18-2015, 10:49 PM

Don't you have a sermon to get ready for?

preachermatt83
04-18-2015, 11:04 PM

Tomorrows sermon has been completed. Looking in depth at 2 Samuel 13. Very sad chapter about how sin can destroy lives. Such a terrible road satan wants to take us down, but sure am thankful that while we were sinners, Christ died for us.

preachermatt83
04-18-2015, 11:05 PM

Tomorrows sermon has been completed. Looking in depth at 2 Samuel 13. Very sad chapter about how sin can destroy lives. Such a terrible road satan wants to take us down, but sure am thankful that while we were sinners, Christ died for us.

War Machine Dawg
04-18-2015, 11:58 PM

And we can both name one of the biggest sunshine pumpers in regards to those 2 classes. He happens to be pumping this upcoming class, too.

War Machine Dawg
04-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Just build it. Trust me on this.

If you don't like Cohen, building this stadium will help us attract another really good coach when that time comes if that makes you feel better about it. Yes, odds are Cohen will likely be the first coach in the new stadium- but I highly doubt he will coach in it forever.

Our biggest issue lately has been recruiting. That's why we have the product that you are seeing on the field. We have a great class coming in- and part of the reason why is because they want to play in that new stadium. We are WAY behind most of the SEC as far as baseball stadiums go right now- and it's hurting us even if we have crowds like we did today.

Not building this stadium is LT level short sighted.

Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark! And I completely agree.

Todd4State
04-19-2015, 12:03 AM
And we can both name one of the biggest sunshine pumpers in regards to those 2 classes. He happens to be pumping this upcoming class, too.

Well, there are MLB scouts that agree with me on this so I guess they're sunshine pumpers too? We have elite players committed. The real trick is getting them into school. I'm not feeling good about five of the eighteen.