PDA

View Full Version : No Star Wars trailer?

BeardoMSU
04-18-2015, 12:44 AM
I was really surprised to see no one has posted it here yet?

Who else is excited? I'm pumped. As long as Abrams doesn't 17 it up I'll be happy. I don't think he will, going off his previous work (his 2 Star Trek films are great). I really can't take another 'Crystal Skull' butt-17-ing of a franchise I hold dear. Honestly, IMO, getting George Lucas out of the decision making process was the best thing that could happen.

What say ye?

FlabLoser
04-18-2015, 08:42 AM
"Chewy, we're home."

Awesome.

I hope Carrie Fisher lost 40 pounds for her part.

Disney knows how to make this work. They've got a huge stake in toys, marketing, etc. I expect it will be great and I expect I'll be there opening day.

BeardoMSU
04-18-2015, 09:54 AM
"Chewy, we're home."

Awesome.

I hope Carrie Fisher lost 40 pounds for her part.

Disney knows how to make this work. They've got a huge stake in toys, marketing, etc. I expect it will be great and I expect I'll be there opening day.

Yeah, Han and Chewie at the end was pretty awesome.

I think Fisher has lost weight. I imagine her and Mark Hamill did a back flip when they got the phone call about the movie, lol.

BulldogBear
04-18-2015, 07:38 PM
When is it coming out?

BeardoMSU
04-18-2015, 08:24 PM
When is it coming out?

December. Probably a Christmas day release.

BulldogBear
04-18-2015, 09:05 PM
December. Probably a Christmas day release.

Wow. I guess it never dawned on me this was happening so soon. I should be more excited. Maybe it's the crappy baseball season effect.

Pollodawg
04-18-2015, 09:16 PM
I am absolutely ready. The two minute trailer they just put out looks better than all of the prequels combined.

BeardoMSU
04-18-2015, 11:13 PM
I am absolutely ready. The two minute trailer they just put out looks better than all of the prequels combined.

I hate the prequels. I appreciate much of the stories, but the directing and writing was horrid. I love George Lucas for giving me Indiana Jones and Star Wars, but I also hate him for single-handedly trying to destroy both of them; getting him away from the the decision making was the best thing that ever happened to star wars.

War Machine Dawg
04-18-2015, 11:51 PM
Loved it. Can't wait for the new trilogy. The prequels wouldn't have been so bad if Lucas had swallowed his pride and gotten a script writer. The ideas were great, but the execution wasn't good enough. Although I still think Revenge of the Sith is pretty solid overall. (I know I'll get ripped for that opinion) The lightsaber fight between Anakin/Vader and Obi-Wan was epic. Trivia: Apparently McGregor and Christensen practiced that fight so much they were actually able to film it full speed.

What I find interesting is all the updates hinted at in the trailer. New designs for storm troopers, TIE fighters, the Imperial banner, etc. If anything, the Empire looks even stronger, which I can't possibly imagine considering the defeat at Endor. And Mark Hamill doing the voice over was damn good. Just wish I knew who he was speaking to. And worth noting, he will have a beard in VII. Saw a pic somewhere a few months ago along with him commenting about a "contractually obligated beard." Kylo Ren looks like he's got serious potential, and that cross guard lightsaber looks pretty damn cool.

Best part of all was definitely Han and Chewie at the end. Basically, it's going to be a LONG wait between Avengers 2 and Star Wars. In JJ I Trust.

BeardoMSU
04-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Loved it. Can't wait for the new trilogy. The prequels wouldn't have been so bad if Lucas had swallowed his pride and gotten a script writer. The ideas were great, but the execution wasn't good enough. Although I still think Revenge of the Sith is pretty solid overall. (I know I'll get ripped for that opinion) The lightsaber fight between Anakin/Vader and Obi-Wan was epic. Trivia: Apparently McGregor and Christensen practiced that fight so much they were actually able to film it full speed.

What I find interesting is all the updates hinted at in the trailer. New designs for storm troopers, TIE fighters, the Imperial banner, etc. If anything, the Empire looks even stronger, which I can't possibly imagine considering the defeat at Endor. And Mark Hamill doing the voice over was damn good. Just wish I knew who he was speaking to. And worth noting, he will have a beard in VII. Saw a pic somewhere a few months ago alon. g with him commenting about a "contractually obligated beard." Kylo Ren looks like he's got serious potential, and that cross guard lightsaber looks pretty damn cool.

Best part of all was definitely Han and Chewie at the end. Basically, it's going to be a LONG wait between Avengers 2 and Star Wars. In JJ I Trust.

Not at all, dude. I actually think all 3 of the prequels had great potential, but the writing, directing, and overuse of special-effects just prevented them to being better. I like a lot of the characters in the prequels: Darth Maul (he could have been developed a lot more than he was); Mace Windu was pretty awesome (it would have funny if he had a line "yes they deserve to die, and I hope they burn in hell"); I loved Qui-Gon Jinn; Count Dooku was classic Christopher Lee. Ewan McGregor was perfect to play Obi Wan, and I more often than not visualize him over Alec Guinness when I think of Obi Wan.
Jar Jar?.....WT17 was Lucas thinking....
I absolutely hated the concept of midi-chlorians, as I bet most fans agree. I thought Christensen got better from Attack of the Clones to Revenge of the Sith, and I agree that this movie was the best of the bunch, and the duel on Mustafar was awesome. Ultimately, there are some great scenes and moments in the movie, but they all fell short in delivery. The unveiling of Vader, for example, was horrid. Why? Because George Lucas is a horrible director. He has absolutely no idea how to get subtly out of an actor, and it definitely seems he didn't know when to shoot another take of a scene: you'd think with all of those shitty acting moments, Lucas would have been aware enough to yell "cut...lets try that one again, shall we"...nope, that ain't his style, apparently.

As you can see, I have lots of pent up frustration relating to these films, lol. I'm just so happy we're getting more Star Wars and I know it will be better than the last additions (knock on wood). I totally agree with all the moments from the trailer; those design tweaks look great. Seeing Han and Chewie at the end almost made me tear up, lol. I feel like a kid again.

Dallas_Dawg
04-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Are the new movies based on any books or anything?

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 05:57 PM
Are the new movies based on any books or anything?

No, totally original script. They basically threw out the Expanded Universe (EU) canon. It sucks, but I get why they felt the need to do it.

BulldogBear
04-22-2015, 09:23 AM
No, totally original script. They basically threw out the Expanded Universe (EU) canon. It sucks, but I get why they felt the need to do it.

I was wondering the same thing. There was a time I would keep up with all the various books, but lost track of the story sometime in the last decade. So, is it as if some of the events and characters like Thrawn never happened?

With these set in the future, tech upgrades don't feel as weird or out of place as they did in the prequels. I would probably end up cutting my own hand off with the crossguard lightsaber.

Finally found the extended trailer to see all that. Seeing Han and Chewbacca was exciting. And we got a nice "Raaagggghhhr" out of Chewie.

Dawgology
05-04-2015, 07:09 AM
I hate the prequels. I appreciate much of the stories, but the directing and writing was horrid. I love George Lucas for giving me Indiana Jones and Star Wars, but I also hate him for single-handedly trying to destroy both of them; getting him away from the the decision making was the best thing that ever happened to star wars.

Lucas will forever have my gratitude for introducing the two most prolific and time-honored franchises to cinema. But he should have passed the torch long, long ago. The prequels were a train wreck and the new Indiana Jones was something more than a train wreck. I think JJ will do a great job. He appears to be a fan and he has mentioned that they are doing a lot of practical effects which, in my opinion, is what makes the original trilogy so endearing.

Dawgology
05-04-2015, 07:19 AM
Not at all, dude. I actually think all 3 of the prequels had great potential, but the writing, directing, and overuse of special-effects just prevented them to being better. I like a lot of the characters in the prequels: Darth Maul (he could have been developed a lot more than he was); Mace Windu was pretty awesome (it would have funny if he had a line "yes they deserve to die, and I hope they burn in hell"); I loved Qui-Gon Jinn; Count Dooku was classic Christopher Lee. Ewan McGregor was perfect to play Obi Wan, and I more often than not visualize him over Alec Guinness when I think of Obi Wan.
Jar Jar?.....WT17 was Lucas thinking....
I absolutely hated the concept of midi-chlorians, as I bet most fans agree. I thought Christensen got better from Attack of the Clones to Revenge of the Sith, and I agree that this movie was the best of the bunch, and the duel on Mustafar was awesome. Ultimately, there are some great scenes and moments in the movie, but they all fell short in delivery. The unveiling of Vader, for example, was horrid. Why? Because George Lucas is a horrible director. He has absolutely no idea how to get subtly out of an actor, and it definitely seems he didn't know when to shoot another take of a scene: you'd think with all of those shitty acting moments, Lucas would have been aware enough to yell "cut...lets try that one again, shall we"...nope, that ain't his style, apparently.

As you can see, I have lots of pent up frustration relating to these films, lol. I'm just so happy we're getting more Star Wars and I know it will be better than the last additions (knock on wood). I totally agree with all the moments from the trailer; those design tweaks look great. Seeing Han and Chewie at the end almost made me tear up, lol. I feel like a kid again.

I agree that some of the characters were great, but the acting throughout the prequels was sub par...at best. Then there was the decision to include Jar Jar and change The Force from a mystical magic to mitichlorians....wtf.... Not to mention the fact the all tech was majorly upgraded in a time that was (basically) 30 years previous to the original trilogy. I understand Lucas tried to explain it away through economic collapse but that doesn't compute. Typically war drives increased technological development not the other way around. I could understand if they had been set hundreds of years in the past but not 30 years.

Anyways, I'm still frustrated over the surprise ass rape that Lucas gave to his long time fans. The movies did have some good moments but most of them came at the end of Revenge of the Sith...until he ****ed it all up again with the Vader reveal. I'm so glad he let it all go to Disney. They might look at the franchise as only a money machine but they will at least get good directors and writers.