PDA

View Full Version : For those worried about our OL

Coach34
04-16-2015, 04:35 PM
We signed the #1 juco OT in the nation (4-star) to come in after losing 3 starters- and he cant crack the starting line-up this Spring. Some of us have been saying our talent level was going to be better this coming season upfront- looks to be stepping up likes its supposed to.

mcain31
04-16-2015, 05:46 PM
We signed the #1 juco OT in the nation (4-star) to come in after losing 3 starters- and he cant crack the starting line-up this Spring. Some of us have been saying our talent level was going to be better this coming season upfront- looks to be stepping up likes its supposed to.

A lot of people will be surprised by Rufus Warren.

ShotgunDawg
04-16-2015, 06:36 PM
I say this with sincerity, if we can survive on the D-Line, we'll be competing for a spot in the playoff.

With what we lost on the defensive line, my biggest fear this year is how we are going to be able to get LSU (Fournette) and Arkansas off the field of they are pounding us up the middle and shortening the game.

Our offense can out score them, but we are going need to find enough power on the defensive line to force some 3rd and longs in the 4th quarters

Dallas_Dawg
04-16-2015, 06:58 PM
I say this with sincerity, if we can survive on the D-Line, we'll be competing for a spot in the playoff.

With what we lost on the defensive line, my biggest fear this year is how we are going to be able to get LSU (Fournette) and Arkansas off the field of they are pounding us up the middle and shortening the game.

Our offense can out score them, but we are going need to find enough power on the defensive line to force some 3rd and longs in the 4th quarters

Nick James is getting the First team reps the last few practices. He, Jones, Jefferson and R Brown are a damn fine 4. The Adams boys will be good 2nd teamers along with the two Jucos, Calvin and Coleman. Corey Thomas has been good in practice so I've heard. Also, I think Keith Joseph and/or anfernee Mullins will be too good to redshirt
That's 11 guys right there

ETA: I think safety is our number one concern. We have some young guys coming in but depending on freshmen to start is risky bidness

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-16-2015, 06:59 PM
I'll be honest, when I first heard Rufus Warren was holding down first team LT, I was worried. The more I hear from people who have seen him this spring, the more I'm ok with it. You do have to figure he will be, if not the, close to the most athletic LT we have ever had. He has experience blocking from his TE days. He obviously has good feet for a lineman. I'm learning to be ok with it.

As far as getting LSU and Ark off the field, I'd much rather have Diaz scheming for it than Captain Juice.

mcain31
04-16-2015, 07:00 PM

The JuCo DEs, Coleman and Calvin, stood out to me. Cory Thomas and Braxton Hoyett are who I'll be watching Saturday. I believe they will give us the depth we need

Coach34
04-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Corey Thomas will be a 2nd team DT

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2015, 07:32 PM
DE - Brown, Coleman
DT - Jones, Thomas
DT - James, Adams
DE - Jefferson, Calvin

That will be the 2 deep. Guys like Dale, Harris, Hoyett, & F. Adams will get spot duty.

HancockCountyDog
04-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Has anyone seen how Rankin is adjusting? I love getting guys in December, because it helps with the adjustment.

Elite jucos take 6-7 games to adjust, while average jucos take a season. Just wondering how he looks. It's interesting he is lining up at RT.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2015, 07:46 PM
As he's gotten more comfortable with the plays he's gotten better. You can see his talent but he doing more thinking than just playing at this point. I still think he's going to be a big factor & may be our starter at LT when the season start. Rufus has just been so good & steady he's not going to give it up easy.

Coach34
04-16-2015, 08:41 PM
As Dan said- it's as much of a product of Rufus stepping up as anything

BeardoMSU
04-16-2015, 08:44 PM
DE - Brown, Coleman
DT - Jones, Thomas
DT - James, Adams
DE - Jefferson, Calvin

That will be the 2 deep. Guys like Dale, Harris, Hoyett, & F. Adams will get spot duty.

And there ain't nothing wrong with that 2 deep. We fix our safeties, and we're outta the shit.

engie
04-16-2015, 10:02 PM
ED Rewind:

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?18205-Has-the-Offensive-Line-Been-the-Problem

maroonmania
04-16-2015, 10:06 PM
DE - Brown, Coleman
DT - Jones, Thomas
DT - James, Adams
DE - Jefferson, Calvin

We are plenty adequate at DT IF we don't get hit with the injury bug. That will be the key.

Really Clark?
04-16-2015, 10:44 PM
We are plenty adequate at DT IF we don't get hit with the injury bug. That will be the key.

I agree but that's pretty much everybody not named Bama and they would have some issues as well. If anybody is having to count on the 3rd or 4th string to play significant minutes you are looking at a pretty big talent or experience drop off or both. I do think that Hoyett, Fletcher, and TD give us really good depth but they are probably not going to be ready for significant minutes in SEC play. Although I think Fletcher has a chance to come in and do some good things this fall.

Todd4State
04-16-2015, 11:07 PM
I think Fletcher Adams is the wild card with our d-line. I feel pretty good about Jones, Nick James, and Nelson Adams. I also think that Cory Thomas will be pretty good for us next year. But with Fletcher, I do wonder if he will be a DT, a DE, or maybe be someone that can do both in a reserve role. Long term, I think he is a DT, but we haven't bulked him up completely yet to my knowledge- so he may be able to handle DE in a reserve role for us some next year.

DE worries me a little bit more just because we have two JUCO guys that haven't taken a snap behind AJ and Brown. But even there- Coleman and Calvin sound like they are both doing pretty well in practice.

So, it sounds like we will be fine.

SignalToNoise
04-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Not sure why, but I figured this would be a thread discussing the offensive line. Guess that will be discussed in the DL thread.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 09:54 AM
I find it hypocritical how we can talk about our young guys stepping up, but when the folks up the road do it... we clown on them. Do unto others... all that jazz... but we call Freeze a snake charmer. I guess some folks just like to hate. I just like to see good football.

Covercorner2
04-17-2015, 09:58 AM
I find it hypocritical how we can talk about our young guys stepping up, but when the folks up the road do it... we clown on them. Do unto others... all that jazz... but we call Freeze a snake charmer. I guess some folks just like to hate. I just like to see good football.

Nice 4th post, Vince Lombardi.**. Our starting OL is 2 seniors and 3 juniors. Nice try, bud.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 10:06 AM
I guess you missed all the posts about the DL...

BeardoMSU
04-17-2015, 10:07 AM

Great 4th post, Bones!*******

https://38.media.tumblr.com/9549d9e1ac4373685a4b261120c0cf0c/tumblr_mngv9pLhSA1spsj1co1_500.gif

tic-toc-tic-toc....

Covercorner2
04-17-2015, 10:09 AM
7 of the 8 guys on the 2 deep are juniors/seniors, bra.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Thomas and Adams are Freshmen...

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 10:22 AM
They were mentioned specifically... just pointing out inconsistencies, that's all.

Tell Lee and Hawkes I said hello... they should recognize me by the screen name... I can't believe I've been here for over a year.

Covercorner2
04-17-2015, 10:35 AM
Thomas and Adams are Freshmen...

Nelson Adams is a Junior. Cory Thomas is the only freshman in the 2 deep. A redshirt freshman at that...

Westdawg
04-17-2015, 10:47 AM
I know i have been on the Elton Jenkins band wagon for a few weeks, but I got to say it again. Jenkins will probably be a starter this time next year, or be the main backup. Carter is doing really well, also. I know a lot of ppl have expected more out of Cole, but truth is that if this were 4 years ago, he would be a starter right now. We have SOLID quality depth along our OL this year. It really is amazing how many players the coaching staff has to work with to make a really good OL this year and next. Now, i could be completely wrong, but i think we are going to be really good up front.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Nelson Adams is a Junior. Cory Thomas is the only freshman in the 2 deep. A redshirt freshman at that...

So Nelson Adams... who played last year... is a wild card for this year? Please stop. That's not who was being referenced.

War Machine Dawg
04-17-2015, 10:51 AM
So Nelson Adams... who played last year... is a wild card for this year? Please stop. That's not who was being referenced.

How long does this clown last?

http://i.imgur.com/tVMM5m5.gif

maroonmania
04-17-2015, 11:00 AM

Please just go away. The conversation was about guys like Hoyett, Fletcher Adams and TD Moton perhaps playing and stepping up to be 3RD TEAMERS! Like was said, the only guy in our 2 deep that hasn't played significant minutes is Corey Thomas and he is a redshirt freshman so he's been in the program already for a year. You are obviously trolling.

662dawg
04-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Ole Tig... A die hard Rebal 😂😂😂 & has become a little homerish lately as well lol... But hey it's nice getting to talk about Freshman getting THIRD team reps & not having to rely on them to come in and contribute immediately. Later Tig.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Ole Tig... A die hard Rebal ������ & has become a little homerish lately as well lol... But hey it's nice getting to talk about Freshman getting THIRD team reps & not having to rely on them to come in and contribute immediately. Later Tig.

You don't have to boot if you don't want to... I'll leave peacefully... I just like showing a dog his ass every now and then.

engie
04-17-2015, 11:06 AM

So, 3 JR, 1 SR starter then? Backed by 3JR and a rsFR?

Yep -- that's the same thing as anointing true freshmen as starters and world beaters...

Covercorner2
04-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Yo, Tig, what's that Rebel linebacker 3-deep look like?

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 11:14 AM
I don't know if I'd say we're three deep at LB.

Gates, Russell, CJ, and Denzel are all pretty solid... all with experience. Caldwell looks promising, and Strong is serviceable... but I wouldn't say we're three deep there.

662dawg
04-17-2015, 11:15 AM
So, 3 JR, 1 SR starter then? Backed by 3JR and a rsFR?

Yep -- that's the same thing as anointing true freshmen as starters and world beaters...

This... Looks like Tig the Rebal got his arse shown to him, not the other way around 😂😂😂

solodawg
04-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Funny how these Bear trolls always blow their cover within the first 10 post.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 11:17 AM
There was specific mention of Thomas and Fletcher Adams... That's all I was referring to. As usual you don't pay any attention to the context.

662dawg
Tig is normally a sensible Rebal though. I'll give him that. His rebalism comes out at times, but that's to be expected. We all know there's not a one that's complety Normal lol

Covercorner2
I don't know if I'd say we're three deep at LB.

Gates, Russell, CJ, and Denzel are all pretty solid... all with experience. Caldwell looks promising, and Strong is serviceable... but I wouldn't say we're three deep there.

CJ has experience at LB in college? Who knew. Sounds like you guys are relying on young/inexperienced guys...

notoriousdog
04-17-2015, 11:18 AM
I think Fletcher Adams is the wild card with our d-line.
I agree, Todd. I think Fletcher is a guy that we'll be able to toss in there at DE and DT and be productive. He's talented and has a motor that will translate into early PT. Not saying he'll start, but he's going to provide some depth and versatility.

662dawg
04-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Cory Thomas is a RFR... Fletcher may contribute at some point this year, but it won't be early. We won't need him too have to early.

Covercorner2
04-17-2015, 11:23 AM
There was specific mention of Thomas and Fletcher Adams... That's all I was referring to. As usual you don't pay any attention to the context.

You said it was hypocritical of "us" taking about younger guys stepping up. We need one young guy, a redshirt freshman, to "step up" on our 2 deep DLine. And he is second string...

You suck at trolling

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Solo... The first time 662 saw my sn, avatar, and sig... he knew who it was... lol. I was not trying to hide... I very much could have... masked IP and all... lol.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 11:30 AM
You said it was hypocritical of "us" taking about younger guys stepping up. We need one young guy, a redshirt freshman, to "step up" on our 2 deep DLine. And he is second string...

You suck at trolling

What young guys are we relying on to play right away? Only one comes to mind... he's an offensive lineman, of freaking course.

BeastMan
04-17-2015, 11:35 AM
See last year when myself and C34 had a certain stance not shared by many others...

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Beastman... You're always fairly objective... Coach can be at times.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 11:51 AM
For the record... I've said nothing negative about MSU since I began my excursion this morning. Simply looking for the reasoning behind some of the thoughts that come off of this page... that is all. Think of it as a psychology experiment.

662dawg
04-17-2015, 11:55 AM
For the record... I've said nothing negative about MSU since I began my excursion this morning. Simply looking for the reasoning behind some of the thoughts that come off of this page... that is all. Think of it as a psychology experiment.

Well maybe they've been answered 😉

BeastMan
04-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Beastman... You're always fairly objective... Coach can be at times.

Thank you

Coach34
04-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Simply looking for the reasoning behind some of the thoughts that come off of this page... that is all.

Basically- we only expect a handful of R-Fr or Fr to play any snaps for us. Almost all the 2-deep is 3rd yr or better guys

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Basically- we only expect a handful of R-Fr or Fr to play any snaps for us. Almost all the 2-deep is 3rd yr or better guys

As is ours... yet... there's some grave difference in experience? This is my argument. We will rely on about 2 frosh to be in the rotation, and about 4 red shirt frosh... that's not starting, that's just in the rotation. There's absolutely zero wrong with that, either. So the experiment continues.

Covercorner2
04-17-2015, 03:00 PM
As is ours... yet... there's some grave difference in experience? This is my argument. We will rely on about 2 frosh to be in the rotation, and about 4 red shirt frosh... that's not starting, that's just in the rotation. There's absolutely zero wrong with that, either. So the experiment continues.

Javon Patterson, Rod Taylor, Demarquis Gates, Shawn Curtis, CJ Hampton, Marquis Haynes, Stringfellow, Jordan Wilkins. All those guys are sophomores or younger and either start or are going to play a lot.

As of today's practice, State doesn't have a single underclassman running with the fist string offense or defense

http://247sports.com/Bolt/MSU-Spring-Depth-Chart-Practice-14-36824577

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Marquis Haynes has more than proven himself, but is a 2013 prep guy (3 years out)... Stringfellow is a 3rd year guy... 2nd in our program... Wilkins is a soph and has plenty of experience from last year as you well remember... Hampton, Gates and Taylor played last year as freshmen, but weren't really in the rotation. They will be this year. But did I not just get through saying we would be seeing about 6 first or second year guys in our rotation? None of those you listed outside String, Taylor, or Patterson will start. More and more one sidedness to the lame argument. That's all I'm trying to point out.

Todd4State
04-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Marquis Haynes has more than proven himself, but is a 2013 prep guy (3 years out)... Stringfellow is a 3rd year guy... 2nd in our program... Wilkins is a soph and has plenty of experience from last year as you well remember... Hampton, Gates and Taylor played last year as freshmen, but weren't really in the rotation. They will be this year. But did I not just get through saying we would be seeing about 6 first or second year guys in our rotation? None of those you listed outside String, Taylor, or Patterson will start. More and more one sidedness to the lame argument. That's all I'm trying to point out.

You might want to tell one of your bloggers then. He has two 'croots starting at WR and Rawlings starting at center over Still.

http://olehottytoddy.com/2015/02/10/ole-miss-football-predicted-2015-season-depth-chart/

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Yea... Todd, there's a reason they're begging me to write for them. Struggling, bad. Zach Berry at RCR is way more trustworthy than Dave and Acey, and he tries to be funny... it's hilarious how terrible they are when it comes to actual analysis.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Conyers will easily start at center... I can't believe you even...

Covercorner2
04-17-2015, 04:40 PM

You are comparing apples to oranges. You were implying that State and Ole Miss are in similar situations. As I pointed out, State currently is not expecting a single underclassman to start. Ole Miss cannot say the same. The situations are not the same. You can beat around the bush and say "oh well, he has played some, he's a 2nd year guy, he's proven himself, ya da ya da,". Isn't that being "lame" and "one sided," and skewing things in your favor?

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 04:51 PM
I'm not trying to skew them in my favor... I'm simply pointing out the inaccuracies of the argument. 6 underclassmen in a rotation is nothing... every major program has at least that many if you look around the nation. All I said from the beginning was how when OM fans talk about young players stepping in, you guys generally crucify them... yet expect no backlash when you do it yourself. That is all... point, blank, period. Don't over complicate things.

Todd4State
04-17-2015, 04:53 PM
You are comparing apples to oranges. You were implying that State and Ole Miss are in similar situations. As I pointed out, State currently is not expecting a single underclassman to start. Ole Miss cannot say the same. The situations are not the same. You can beat around the bush and say "oh well, he has played some, he's a 2nd year guy, he's proven himself, ya da ya da,". Isn't that being "lame" and "one sided," and skewing things in your favor?

That doesn't count because it's Ole Miss. At least that's what he is thinking.

Todd4State
04-17-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm not trying to skew them in my favor... I'm simply pointing out the inaccuracies of the argument. 6 underclassmen in a rotation is nothing... every major program has at least that many if you look around the nation. All I said from the beginning was how when OM fans talk about young players stepping in, you guys generally crucify them... yet expect no backlash when you do it yourself. That is all... point, blank, period. Don't over complicate things.

That's some Smitty level back tracking right there.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 04:58 PM
No... the above post shows what I'm thinking.

bonesknowstig
04-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Smitty's was a good softball team for a while... they liked to drink a lot.

Covercorner2
04-17-2015, 05:00 PM

What have I said that's inaccurate?

And...

The difference is Ole Miss talks about MORE young players stepping in, because, guess what, they NEED more young players. The situations are different. The only mentions of true freshman, or even RS freshman, for state in this whole thread is in reference to "spot duty" and being a "wild card." I just pointed out 6+ players that Ole Miss will be heavily relying on, aka, not just spot duty.

Coach34
04-17-2015, 05:28 PM
The biggest differences in the situations is that we have a Heisman level QB and Ole Missus has a huge glaring question mark there. There are places you guys will be a little better and places we will be a little better- but there is a huge gap at QB. Then throw in the schedule- your huge games are on the road- gonna be tough

662dawg
04-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Smitty's was a good softball team for a while... they liked to drink a lot.

Leave Smittys softball oucha moufs bro.

maroonmania
04-17-2015, 09:09 PM
The biggest differences in the situations is that we have a Heisman level QB and Ole Missus has a huge glaring question mark there. There are places you guys will be a little better and places we will be a little better- but there is a huge gap at QB. Then throw in the schedule- your huge games are on the road- gonna be tough

Yep, a little different when your backup DL is a wild card versus when your starting QB is a wild card.