PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Wilson/Mississippi State Perception

Big4Dawg
04-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Yesterday on the way home, I heard a interview on Coast to Coast w/ Kevin Wilson, Indiana's HC. He isn't exactly tearing it up either (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Wilson_%28American_football%29).

I don't know if you remember, but before Mullen was hired, Kevin Wilson was our target. Not sure if he turned us down or we liked Mullen more, but there was definitely smoke. I googled to see just how close we were to hiring him and found this.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?126690-Kevin-Wilson-to-Mississippi-State

Here are some of the comments:

"well when I talked to Kevin he kinda implied that while he wants to be a head coach that Miss. State is probably not what he wants. he doesn't wanna end up like Chuck Long. However they have put a sweet offer out there"

"He does NOT want to go to MS State. I just left that area of MS, and he would have the left overs when it comes to recruits after the upper tier of SEC schools choose, i.e. Florida, LSU, Alabama, Auburn and now Ole Miss."

"Are you saying Miss St is going to use their Katrina money and some Bail Out money to hire Wilson? Otherwise, I don't see how they can afford him."

"KW KNOWS he is a hot commodity,he will hold outfor a top job (miami, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Nebraska, ND). Yes I know all those teams have coaches already,I am just saying that is the level of job I think he waits for."

Why would he want to go there? If he's patient, a MUCH better job will come along than MSU

Al Eschbach talked like he knew something but could not say. However he did say this... He did not think Wilson would take it because coaches take jobs because 1) they have a chance to win or 2) it is a stepping stone to another, better job. Only 1 coach since 1955 has left the school with a winning record. That coach was Darrel Royal. Likewise Miss state really does not have a powerhouse record and they are not much of a stepping stone to somewhere else.

-------------

It's amazing the perception we had back then and how it has changed today, just in 6 years. Really reminds you what an uphill battle Mullen had when he got here and really makes you appreciate what he has done and what he has built.

bgover4
04-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Miami, Auburn, UT, Nebraska, ND and Indiana....which one doesn't belong in that list haha. I think we fit better into that list, especially now.

Political Hack
04-16-2015, 10:07 AM
He would've taken the job if offered, but they offered CDM first... I think they actually decided at his interview in Atlanta that he was the guy without a doubt.

And think about this... Florida's OC, coming off a National Championship and a Heisman run, took the job sight unseen. But it was too good for Oklahoma's OC? That ship don't sail brother.

the59dawg
04-16-2015, 12:05 PM
He would've taken the job if offered, but they offered CDM first... I think they actually decided at his interview in Atlanta that he was the guy without a doubt.

And think about this... Florida's OC, coming off a National Championship and a Heisman run, took the job sight unseen. But it was too good for Oklahoma's OC? That ship don't sail brother.

His wife had a lot to do with the sight unseen thingy. She had seen!

maroonmania
04-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Miami, Auburn, UT, Nebraska, ND and Indiana....which one doesn't belong in that list haha. I think we fit better into that list, especially now.

Yep, all of that makes for pretty comical reading given he ended up taking the Indiana job.

Bothrops
04-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Can you think of the mess we might be in today had we hired him? We'd probably be on our 2nd coach since Croom.

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Just think if we had hired the Utah coach when we hired Croom.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Just think if we had hired the Utah coach when we hired Croom.

We could have hired Jimbo Fisher instead of Croom.

ScoobaDawg
04-16-2015, 01:57 PM
We could have hired Jimbo Fisher instead of Croom.

Jimbo Fisher with Will Muschamp as our DC....

War Machine Dawg
04-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Jimbo Fisher with Will Muschamp as our DC....

This. It was a package deal and Jimbo wanted the job badly. But LT had his guy, who had already turned us down twice, and wouldn't even be bothered with Jimbo.

BiscuitEater
04-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Good comparison ..

Kevin Wilson

Current position
Title: Head coach
Team: Indiana
Conference: Big Ten

Overall Record: 14 ? 34 (.292)
Big Ten Record: 6 ? 26 (.188)
Bowl Record: N/A

Head coaching record:
14?34 (college)
0?10 (high school)

Accomplishments and honors

Awards
Broyles Award (2008)

Annual salary
$1,200,000

Dan Mullen

Current position
Team: Mississippi State
Conference: SEC

Overall Record: 46?31 (.597)
SEC Record: 22 ? 26 (.458)
Bowl Record: 3 ? 2 (.600)

Head coaching record: 46 - 31

Awards:
AFCA Region 2 Coach of the Year (2014)
AP SEC Coach of the Year (2014)
Athlon SEC Coach of the Year (2014)
Maxwell Football Club Coach of the Year (2014)

Annual salary
$4,250,000* ($17M over 4 years)

ScoobaDawg
04-16-2015, 02:14 PM
This. It was a package deal and Jimbo wanted the job badly. But LT had his guy, who had already turned us down twice, and wouldn't even be bothered with Jimbo.

It's a valid thing to wonder...where our program would of gone with these two. Even if we had only kept Will for a couple years. Would they have win big fast with the talent Jackie left or would Jimbo of been too green and let the inmates run the asylum even more.

ScoobaDawg
04-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Good comparison ..

Kevin Wilson

Annual salary
$1,200,000

Dan Mullen

Annual salary

LT says we picked the wrong one.

maroonmania
04-16-2015, 02:47 PM

Exactly, dang, look at all the money we could be saving!

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-16-2015, 06:05 PM
You guys aren't following who I was getting at....think about it....the coach at Utah when we hired Sylvester Croom....drumroll please.................

Urban Myer

Not to mention his QB coach.... Dan Mullen

Dawgcentral
04-16-2015, 06:40 PM
Urban Meyer was my pick when we hired Croom. Word was at the time that he coveted the Notre Dame job, and wouldn't stay for long.

I was thrilled when we hired CDM. Figured it was the next best thing with the offense he offered.

TimberBeast
04-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Good comparison ..

Kevin Wilson

Current position
Team: Indiana
Conference: Big Ten

Overall Record: 14 ? 34 (.292)
Big Ten Record: 6 ? 26 (.188)
Bowl Record: N/A

Head coaching record:
14?34 (college)
0?10 (high school)

Accomplishments and honors

Awards
Broyles Award (2008)

Annual salary
$1,200,000

Dan Mullen

Current position
Team: Mississippi State
Conference: SEC

Overall Record: 46?31 (.597)
SEC Record: 22 ? 26 (.458)
Bowl Record: 3 ? 2 (.600)

Head coaching record: 46 - 31

Awards:
AFCA Region 2 Coach of the Year (2014)
AP SEC Coach of the Year (2014)
Athlon SEC Coach of the Year (2014)
Maxwell Football Club Coach of the Year (2014)

Annual salary

Nice quotes from c34 in your sig, hilarious.

paco
04-17-2015, 05:13 AM
Hack is correct. Wilson and Mullen were the two finalists. Mullen was the only offer that was made. Wilson said some things that were less than flattering about our job. Sounded pathetic coming from a loser. Wilson has proven that he isn't a winner. Mullen has proven he's a winner.

Political Hack
04-17-2015, 09:34 AM

I almost spit coca-cola out my nose.