PDA

View Full Version : If the 1B defense is over

Leroy Jenkins
04-15-2015, 03:40 PM
will it be done away with intentionally, or is it a side effect of lack of depth? Both?

'Reading between the lines, it also sounds as if the 1A and 1B defense may be a thing of the past. Diaz likes his depth, but when asked about it, he didn?t give the vibe of one who envisions subbing out his entire starting 11 at the same time. "What we did here the last few years was good, but like anything, we're trying to make it better," Diaz said.'

https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/msu-defense-making-strides-under-diaz/

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2015, 03:42 PM
We will play a lot of guys it just won't be as much or assigned shifts. I think it will just be as needed not hey it's the 3rd series all you guys go in & all my starters come stand over here.

MaroomerMill
04-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Is anybody else really excited about Jiles return? Any chances he can have more of an impact coming off injury then Hughes did last year? I sure think he can assuming he doesnt get the injury bug again

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Is anybody else really excited about Jiles return? Any chances he can have more of an impact coming off injury then Hughes did last year? I sure think he can assuming he doesnt get the injury bug again

Gonna be tough simply bc Hughes was a starter Jiles is 3rd corner at best maybe 4th.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 05:42 PM
I think Jiles can win that Nickle corner spot

Dawgology
04-15-2015, 05:44 PM
will it be done away with intentionally, or is it a side effect of lack of depth? Both?

'Reading between the lines, it also sounds as if the 1A and 1B defense may be a thing of the past. Diaz likes his depth, but when asked about it, he didn?t give the vibe of one who envisions subbing out his entire starting 11 at the same time. "What we did here the last few years was good, but like anything, we're trying to make it better," Diaz said.'

https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/msu-defense-making-strides-under-diaz/

I talked to a buddy who was at practice yesterday and said Jiles showed out once they moved inside. Said he would be starting before the season was over.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Starting where? It won't be over Redmond or #23

Todd4State
04-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Starting where? It won't be over Redmond or #23

Admittedly this might be a stretch- but what about safety? Giles >Evans.

I do think he will end up as the top nickelback.

dawgs
04-15-2015, 06:45 PM
We will play a lot of guys it just won't be as much or assigned shifts. I think it will just be as needed not hey it's the 3rd series all you guys go in & all my starters come stand over here.

Like everyone else does their rotations to keep guys fresh?

Dawgcentral
04-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Anyone remember Jackie and Joe Lee platooning the entire D-Line back in the day? It had it's effectiveness, but you must have the personnel for the package. And it was situational. We had some guys on the ends that were all about going after the QB. Don't even ask them to stop an outside run. Ivan Billie comes to mind.

The 1-B experiment might pay dividends this year to a degree. But it'll be some time before we see that again, if at all.

GreenheadDawg
04-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Admittedly this might be a stretch- but what about safety? Giles >Evans.

I do think he will end up as the top nickelback.
Giles couldn't be any worse. Justin Beiber > Evans

Todd4State
04-15-2015, 07:29 PM
Anyone remember Jackie and Joe Lee platooning the entire D-Line back in the day? It had it's effectiveness, but you must have the personnel for the package. And it was situational. We had some guys on the ends that were all about going after the QB. Don't even ask them to stop an outside run. Ivan Billie comes to mind.

The 1-B experiment might pay dividends this year to a degree. But it'll be some time before we see that again, if at all.

The 1A/1B stuff is "perfect world" scenario type stuff. In theory it works great- but it's unrealistic to have two groups that are truly capable of starting and not have a drop off. The scholarship restrictions make it tough for even people like Alabama and USC to pull it off.

If I remember correctly, the 1A's were significantly better than the 1B's statistically. That's the sad thing about last year- we keep our starters on the field for about 25% more of the time than they did, we might have gone undefeated.

Even JLD- he did rotate the d-line, but he kept Smoot and Bean out there pretty much every play.

Todd4State
04-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Giles couldn't be any worse. Justin Beiber > Evans

True. The thing is a secondary with Peters and Giles at safety and Redmond and Calhoun at CB probably would have all of our top secondary guys on the field at the same time. Assuming Market isn't back. I'm not sure how far along Graham is at CB although it sounds like he is doing well.

I'm eager to see how Brandon Bryant looks- I really like him.

bulldawg28
04-15-2015, 07:38 PM
True. The thing is a secondary with Peters and Giles at safety and Redmond and Calhoun at CB probably would have all of our top secondary guys on the field at the same time. Assuming Market isn't back. I'm not sure how far along Graham is at CB although it sounds like he is doing well.

I'm eager to see how Brandon Bryant looks- I really like him.

Bryant still hasn't beaten out Evans.....so I'm not impressed.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2015, 07:43 PM
If Peters can pick up the mental aspect he & Coman will end the season as the starting safeties.

GreenheadDawg
04-15-2015, 07:53 PM

That's what is confusing to me. I know athletically Bryant is superior because I have seen both play so I'm assuming Bryant isn't picking up the mental aspect

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 07:54 PM

It's his first spring, let's give him a while longer to grasp everything before being impressed or not. I think he will end up being very good by the time he done here.

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 07:56 PM
If Peters can pick up the mental aspect he & Coman will end the season as the starting safeties.

Agreed that can very likely happen and I hope it does.

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 07:57 PM
That's what is confusing to me. I know athletically Bryant is superior because I have seen both play so I'm assuming Bryant isn't picking up the mental aspect

Yeah I think it has a lot to do with the fact he is a freshman and it's his first spring more than anything. I look for him to be in the mix this fall.

GreenheadDawg
04-15-2015, 07:58 PM

I thought Coman had some nice plays last year but looked a step slow to me. Maybe I'm wrong and it was just he was out of position and he better understands the position this spring

Coach34
04-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Even JLD- he did rotate the d-line, but he kept Smoot and Bean out there pretty much every play.

You would have had to whip to Joe Lee's ass to take out Bean and Smoot before the game was in hand

Coach34
04-15-2015, 08:43 PM
I thought Coman had some nice plays last year but looked a step slow to me. Maybe I'm wrong and it was just he was out of position and he better understands the position this spring

Well the thing with defense is- were they slow due to their ability and speed- or recognition? Coaches can answer that question during practice and film. We as fans cant.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 08:44 PM

I predict Peters does not start 1 game in 2015

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 09:23 PM

IDK. If he gets it mentally, I look for him to do similar to Chris Jones and have 3-4 starts by the end of his true freshman year. So much ability at a position of need. Really think he will be on the field a ton.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2015, 09:32 PM

May have to take you up on that bet.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 09:49 PM
May have to take you up on that bet.

He's very talented and I love what he brings- just gonna go on a "hunch" Dan

Coach34
04-15-2015, 09:50 PM
IDK. If he gets it mentally, I look for him to do similar to Chris Jones and have 3-4 starts by the end of his true freshman year.

You realize Jones hasnt started a game yet right???

MaroomerMill
04-15-2015, 09:52 PM
I think Peters only starts this year if we have an unforeseen injury or disciplinary issue in our secondary. He will obviously contribute immediately. He's one of the few players on our defensive roster that I would be ok with taking on a 1b spot if that still were to exist this year. Any chance we could use him in an offensive scheme? Several of his BHS highlights make him look very dangerous out of the backfield

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 09:54 PM
You realize Jones hasnt started a game yet right???

Hailstate credits him with 3 starts (played in every game) his true freshman year. OOC games, but starts none the less and that actually put him starting early in the year. Actual playing time was significant and everybody remembers the EB when he wanted to be subbed out and the coaches wouldn't let him. Lol

Todd4State
04-15-2015, 10:01 PM

I'm not going to freak out over the spring depth chart. Zach Jackson is ahead of JT Gray right now- and we all know that's BS.

Todd4State
04-15-2015, 10:05 PM
I think Peters only starts this year if we have an unforeseen injury or disciplinary issue in our secondary. He will obviously contribute immediately. He's one of the few players on our defensive roster that I would be ok with taking on a 1b spot if that still were to exist this year. Any chance we could use him in an offensive scheme? Several of his BHS highlights make him look very dangerous out of the backfield

Dan has pretty much said that Peters will be used on offense some. I've seen Peters play in person and I don't if he will start or not- but if there is anyone in our recruiting class that is a freshman that does start- it will be Peters. The guy is legit. IMO he is the most talented player we got- and that's debatable for sure. But I think very highly of him. I think he is as good as Tony Conner was at this stage- maybe even better because of the fact that he is better than Conner was at pass coverage at this stage.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 10:15 PM
Peters is awesome and in my opinion a 3 yr player before he bolts to the NFL- and I still say he wont start 1 game in 2015. We have more talent than given credit for