PDA

View Full Version : Football Scheduling

mullenman
04-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Fairly new to ED, so forgive me if this has been posted on previously. Has anyone else been disappointed with the future football schedules? I thought after OK State, even with an undesirable outcome, the schedule would beef up. With all due respect to the BYU's and CUSA's of the world, the schedule is still lacking.

KSTATE and Arizona are temporary powers imo.

Strategic move?

smootness
04-15-2015, 03:24 PM
I don't want our OOC schedule to beef up.

MaroomerMill
04-15-2015, 03:26 PM
I think we should beef it up moving forward. These two OOC games are a good start to what we have been use to recently. I always thought it would be cool to see a conference vs conference series one week or weekend similar to basketball IMO.

mullenman
04-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Call me a dreamer, but couldn't Mullen be pulling a Gary Patterson with an 11-1 or even 10-2 schedule in the next few years? SEC West didn't impress in bowls this year and I fear the committee could hold it against SEC teams. Outside of "Saint Nick's" that is.

mullenman
04-15-2015, 03:28 PM
I agree. I liked the Power 5 scheduling rule and hope it eventually leads to some home and home series. A conference vs conference series would be even better, nice thought.

Hypnodawg
04-15-2015, 03:35 PM
I've always been a fan of scheduling real teams. We schedule 4 pansies in hopes to get 1 more game that we hope is a team worth playing. I'd rather just go ahead and schedule a season opener with a real team. You get the effect of a bowl game for free.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2015, 03:36 PM
BYU, NC ST., KANSAS ST, & ARIZONA are the perfect type of opponents. We don't need to do anything more than that. The SEC schedule has enough marquee games.

mullenman
04-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Unless Arizona maintains it is current state, those are all teams that knock you out of top team consideration with a loss. You get a decent win if you beat em. Why not schedule big time teams from big time recruiting grounds?

confucius say
04-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Unless Arizona maintains it is current state, those are all teams that knock you out of top team consideration with a loss. You get a decent win if you beat em. Why not schedule big time teams from big time recruiting grounds?

Because your chances of winning diminish greatly

confucius say
04-15-2015, 03:47 PM
BYU, NC ST., KANSAS ST, & ARIZONA are the perfect type of opponents. We don't need to do anything more than that. The SEC schedule has enough marquee games.

This. You need two absolute pansies that can't beat your third team. Then one decent program like la tech or usm, and then one power 5 school that is solid but not elite. You go 11-1 with that and you will be fine.

mullenman
04-15-2015, 03:53 PM
At lease the Power 5 rule is in effect and we can all agree a power 5 team is a must

dawgoneyall
04-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Right. Jump out of a plane enough times and the chute eventually won't open.

And we jump out of the plane often enough during our SEC schedule.

No point in taking excessive chances.

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 04:06 PM

I'm not understanding your logic. You are afraid of losing to a mid level Power 5 school, knocking us out of a top ranking but prefer us playing a power house with a less chance of winning almost guaranteeing a loss and making you have to win more conference games to get a high ranking. That doesn't make sense at all

Not to mention our weak schedule got us ranked pretty high last year. For a while somewhere close to #1 I believe.

Statefan
04-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Didn't people have Bama over us at 11-1 bc of their win over WVU? I think a decent OOC is good enough to be in the playoffs, but OOC will always be compared across conference teams that are making a case against each other for 1 playoff spot. For example, had we finished with a similar record as Bama, Auburn, or LSU we would have jumped because they beat WVU, KSU and Wisconsin and we played no one. Maybe we should have an OOC that is comparable to other schools in the conference in case we end up in a 11-1 or 10-2 tie with someone and won't be jumped over immediately -- that is, if we can be as consistent as those schools

mullenman
04-15-2015, 04:43 PM
You mention a #1 ranking, yet you say playing a power house guarantees a loss. I'm not understanding your logic.

Anybody can beat anybody. I think the risk-reward is much greater playing a power house than a mid level. This is the 2015 version of MSU, not 2005. Time to think bigger.

BiscuitEater
04-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Fairly new to ED, so forgive me if this has been posted on previously. Has anyone else been disappointed with the future football schedules? I thought after OK State, even with an undesirable outcome, the schedule would beef up. With all due respect to the BYU's and CUSA's of the world, the schedule is still lacking.

KSTATE and Arizona are temporary powers imo.

Strategic move?

Ghostrider .. Please explain 'how' MSU spent 5 consecutive weeks as the #1 team in the country with our 'lacking schedule.'

smootness
04-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Didn't people have Bama over us at 11-1 bc of their win over WVU? I think a decent OOC is good enough to be in the playoffs, but OOC will always be compared across conference teams that are making a case against each other for 1 playoff spot. For example, had we finished with a similar record as Bama, Auburn, or LSU we would have jumped because they beat WVU, KSU and Wisconsin and we played no one. Maybe we should have an OOC that is comparable to other schools in the conference in case we end up in a 11-1 or 10-2 tie with someone and won't be jumped over immediately -- that is, if we can be as consistent as those schools

Well, the obvious problem is, had we scheduled a Wisconsin and lost, we wouldn't have had a better record than them.

And we beat LSU and Auburn. That carries far more weight when comparing us to them than an OOC game.

mullenman
04-15-2015, 04:56 PM
With Bama's schedule, they made the playoff with an 11-1 record. With the schedule MSU played, there was never any serious thought of getting in the playoff with an 11-1 record. That fits into the category of lacking if you ask me. While the 3 week run of LSU, Aubbie, and TAMU was impressive at the time, they all finished 8-5 i believe

FISHDAWG
04-15-2015, 04:58 PM
I would also like to hear that one ..... wind just shifted, I think I caught a molecule of bear scent

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 05:05 PM
You mention a #1 ranking, yet you say playing a power house guarantees a loss. I'm not understanding your logic.

Anybody can beat anybody. I think the risk-reward is much greater playing a power house than a mid level. This is the 2015 version of MSU, not 2005. Time to think bigger.

No I said almost guaranteeing a loss and historically I am right. If we stay at our level now or elevate even higher, then we have a better chance obviously. But even Bama has a much greater chance to lose against an Ohio State, FSU, Oregon, etc and they are elite themselves.

And 2014 disproves your theory completely. The risk-reward does not guarantee a higher ranking even if you beat an elite team. We got to #1 without having to do so. Therefore the risk does not warrant playing a big time team. And even a loss doesn't guarantee you are out, Ohio State lost to a very average VA Tech team and still won the title.

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 05:08 PM
With Bama's schedule, they made the playoff with an 11-1 record. With the schedule MSU played, there was never any serious thought of getting in the playoff with an 11-1 record. That fits into the category of lacking if you ask me. While the 3 week run of LSU, Aubbie, and TAMU was impressive at the time, they all finished 8-5 i believe

Ohio State made it with a loss to Va Tech. A 6-6 ACC school. All of our up coming opponents have had as good or better recent success. Your theory doesn't hold.

CadaverDawg
04-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Call me crazy, but this thread was started by 2 Ole Missus fans. They ain't fooling me, good plan though...talk to each other to make it seem legit.

Anyone wanting to beef up a schedule consisting of Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, and Ark plus East teams, is nuts.

Look at our schedule vs the weaker schedule OM has this season...we should schedule as weak of an OOC schedule as we are allowed, bc we don't need any help from OOC opponents to beef up our SOS.

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 05:17 PM

I forgot the part about no serious discussion about us getting in the playoff at 11-1. Did you completely miss the week leading up to the EB where we were still #4 and multiple pundits, ESPN, etc discussing our chances vs TCU, Baylor, and OSU. Which one of us were going to make it in and which ones where out of the playoff? You missed a lot during the month of November for a State fan.

sandwolf
04-15-2015, 05:22 PM
I've always been a fan of scheduling real teams. We schedule 4 pansies in hopes to get 1 more game that we hope is a team worth playing. I'd rather just go ahead and schedule a season opener with a real team. You get the effect of a bowl game for free.

No, you don't. Going to a bowl game gives you an extra month of practice time (a lot of which is focused on developing the younger players) and it makes for a much easier sell to recruits. It is incredibly important that we continue to go to bowls every year.....that should be the number one goal when it comes to scheduling. We play multiple top 10 teams every year in some of the toughest environments in college football......there is no reason to make the regular season schedule any tougher than it already is.

mullenman
04-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Well that settles it. I and everyone else who agreed with my point of view must be a black bear. I'll refrain from opening anymore logic based discussions. I'll stop hoping MSU aspires to continue be in the playoff discussion year in and year out. I'll just take what is given to me and attack anyone who has a contrary point of view.

Seriously. I said I hoped State would play a beefier schedule. Forgive me for thinking MSU wouldn't lose as many as it would win playing college football's elite.

Done.

Dawgface
04-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Our schedule will be plenty tough with the addition of the new power 5 games. Can't imagine anyone would want more than that.

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Well that settles it. I and everyone else who agreed with my point of view must be a black bear. I'll refrain from opening anymore logic based discussions. I'll stop hoping MSU aspires to continue be in the playoff discussion year in and year out. I'll just take what is given to me and attack anyone who has a contrary point of view.

Seriously. I said I hoped State would play a beefier schedule. Forgive me for thinking MSU wouldn't lose as many as it would win playing college football's elite.

Done.

I don't mind you posting as much as you want. Your logic is just completely faulty and the immediate past results of last year destroys most of your thinking. Of course you didn't address any of that. You just proclaim your thought to be logical, despite the facts disproving it. And we were in the playoff discussion as of the last game of the season by more than just the fans, the pundits, media, etc. But don't let those facts get in your way of faulty logic either. Also, I think several that disagreed with you actually aspire to be national champions. Your opinion about our aspirations is like the rest of your logic in this thread, illogical.

DancingRabbit
04-15-2015, 05:56 PM
Sounds like you just became a fan this year. We have to schedule at least 1 Power5 game each year. That, plus an SEC west schedule pretty much assures that we don't get penalized for SOS.

Any chance you're a Will Clark fan?

Done.

DancingRabbit
04-15-2015, 06:04 PM
I agree. I liked the Power 5 scheduling rule and hope it eventually leads to some home and home series. A conference vs conference series would be even better, nice thought.

I think your wish will come true.

confucius say
04-15-2015, 06:19 PM

Done.

No keep posting. I like different view points. But, only one person agreed with you, not "everyone else." And to dispel the claim that you are a bear, try using "we" or "our" instead of "state" and "msu." In all of your posts on this thread, you use state and msu instead of we. That is suspicious.

Todd4State
04-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Call me a dreamer, but couldn't Mullen be pulling a Gary Patterson with an 11-1 or even 10-2 schedule in the next few years? SEC West didn't impress in bowls this year and I fear the committee could hold it against SEC teams. Outside of "Saint Nick's" that is.

Nope. We were number one. If we had beaten Bama and then won the Egg Bowl we would have been in the BCS playoff. I don't think the committee will hold one year against the league.

Todd4State
04-15-2015, 06:30 PM
No, you don't. Going to a bowl game gives you an extra month of practice time (a lot of which is focused on developing the younger players) and it makes for a much easier sell to recruits. It is incredibly important that we continue to go to bowls every year.....that should be the number one goal when it comes to scheduling. We play multiple top 10 teams every year in some of the toughest environments in college football......there is no reason to make the regular season schedule any tougher than it already is.

This guy gets it.

Our goal should be to have seven home games a year. I don't like the power five rule- I don't like the SEC telling us what to do and how to do it because Nick Saban didn't like our schedule.

If Memphis ever joins the Big 12 we should play them. If the service academies are approved by the SEC (which they are for Vanderbilt at least so there is precedent), we should schedule them home and home as well.

I would be fine with a schedule like this:

Jackson State/Alcorn/Valley (assuming they meet the standards for a win to count towards a bowl of course)
Army/Navy/Air Force
Tulane/Memphis/USM/Louisiana Tech/South Alabama
Sun Belt team

And before I get railed about USM- I think we should play them twice every five to six years max.

Todd4State
04-15-2015, 06:34 PM

Done.

Playing a power five team costs us more money than the way we have been scheduling. There's no doubt about that. Especially since every power five school KNOWS that we have to schedule at least one. If we went for someone like Wake Forest or Kansas, they would absolutely gouge us. Then there is the cost of not having a home game- and it's hard to put a number on that because there is so much money that goes to the Golden Triangle region on a football weekend. And then there are travel costs for the team, cheerleaders, band, university officials, etc.

Dawgcentral
04-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Call me crazy, but this thread was started by 2 Ole Missus fans. They ain't fooling me, good plan though...talk to each other to make it seem legit.

Anyone wanting to beef up a schedule consisting of Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, and Ark plus East teams, is nuts.

Look at our schedule vs the weaker schedule OM has this season...we should schedule as weak of an OOC schedule as
we are allowed, bc we don't need any help from OOC opponents to beef up our SOS.

Exactly. Continue beating Auburn, LSU, and TA&M and you're in the mix. Those teams might slip now and then, but consistently winning two of those three and picking off another power west team now and then puts you in the national spotlight.

Mullen wants to win the west. Do that, with the additional win over an Arizona or BYU and you're in the discussion as a national power program. This is what you build on.

BulldogBear
04-15-2015, 07:23 PM
No keep posting. I like different view points. But, only one person agreed with you, not "everyone else." And to dispel the claim that you are a bear, try using "we" or "our" instead of "state" and "msu." In all of your posts on this thread, you use state and msu instead of we. That is suspicious.
Yes. It would help the trolling effort. Everybody refers to State in the third person some, but mostly in the first. Inevitably, they slip to way too much third person. It's really too easy to spot the average bear troll's backhanded negatively as they choose a seemingly benign topic to start commenting on with their inevitable user name that includes Mullen, *******, bullpup or some similar sheit. Check for members over a few posts and see if anybody is Mullen this or Mullen that Before picking your username.

Political Hack
04-15-2015, 07:37 PM
I hear we're picking up UAB as our 4th OOC game.***

I would love to play 1 SWAC team a year from MS/AL/LA, but mostly from Mississippi. Play 1 or 2 from Tulane, Memphis, Troy, LaTech, UL Monroe, Houston, GaState, etc... Then add a mid tier Power 5 school like Iowa, Arizona, Oregon St, Cal, Wake, North Carolina, BC, etc...

In short we need to think geographically about who we schedule. We should try to keep MS, LA, AL, GA, TX, and TN schools on our schedule. Maybe FL too. Then we should have 1 power five game out of region that would give us expanded exposure.

Bass Chaser
04-15-2015, 07:46 PM
I hear we're picking up UAB as our 4th OOC game.***

I would love to play 1 SWAC team a year from MS/AL/LA, but mostly from Mississippi. Play 1 or 2 from Tulane, Memphis, Troy, LaTech, UL Monroe, Houston, GaState, etc... Then add a mid tier Power 5 school like Iowa, Arizona, Oregon St, Cal, Wake, North Carolina, BC, etc...

In short we need to think geographically about who we schedule. We should try to keep MS, LA, AL, GA, TX, and TN schools on our schedule. Maybe FL too. Then we should have 1 power five game out of region that would give us expanded exposure.

I like this and I want one pansie/cupcake scheduled before OM just like Bama and Auburn do.

engie
04-15-2015, 08:13 PM
Yeah -- averaging a top 10 schedule difficulty over the past decade isn't nearly tough enough scheduling. We really need to get Ohio St and Oregon(back) in here**

mullenman
04-15-2015, 08:21 PM
I fully intended on being done. What can I say. I've been baited back.

First: The whole "we" thing. I've always been a believer that you have to earn the right to say "we" and "our". You have to pursue academics or athletics at a school in order to say "we" did this or "our" team did that imo. I don't think, though, that one has to attend that same school in order for it to his/her favorite team and be able to discuss it. I'm just not going to use "we" "our" "us" etc to discuss MSU when I didn't attend. It is what it is.

Second: Yes. I have Mullen as a part of my username. While Sherrill may have more wins, Mullen has surpassed him and any other coach of my generation. If the coach that follows Mullen continues his success, it will be due in large part to Mullen's contributions. Whether Dan leaves Starkvegas on good terms or not, I'll still be a Mullen man. Call it a man crush. Call it what you will.

Third: I appreciate those of you who read the entire thread before commenting. I am aware of the Power 5 rule.. I am disappointed in the teams we have schedule since it went into effect. Not impressed with NC State. I also did not mean, though I can see how it can be read that way, that everyone but one person agreed with me. Only that multiple posters liked the idea of scheduling big time OOC games. One of these was also brashly accused of being a black bear.

Fourth: To sum up my statements and likely be done with this thread (though not this site). I think in order to remain nationally relevant, state needs big OOC games. I do not think, even with an egg bowl win, state would have been given serious consideration for the playoff. 2 teams out of Baylor, TCU, and OSU would have needed to lose in order for that to happen. We know how that turned out. I didn't miss the month of November. I alluded to Gary Patterson..maybe that was missed. His Horned Frogs were #3 and smoked Iowa State (if memory serves..I know they won their finale by 50-ish), yet were dropped all the way to 6. Staying with the facts, State was likely not going to jump TCU with an Egg Bowl win. Mullen might have gotten them to 6th and TCU 7th, but no better. You just are not being realistic if you're saying State was going to be ahead of some combination of Baylor, FSU, OSU, and TCU and get into the playoff. I think bigger OOC games add exposure (to recruits, prospective students, media), widen (not lessen) your margin for error, grow your fan base, strengthen your SOS (which the committee considers and we should as well) and make more money. You don't have to pay a chump school. There are teams willing to play a home and home with State. Trump card: Texas went to TSUN. The revenue generated for the GTA by a Texas level program would far exceed that of JSU, MSVS, or even USM. It is my OPINION that State should continue expanding its footprint. Worst case scenario, evidently, is that State loses a game it is "supposed" to lose. Best case: State could jump a Baylor-type team that had a weak nonconference schedule and/or no conference championship.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Well that settles it. I and everyone else who agreed with my point of view must be a black bear. I'll refrain from opening anymore logic based discussions. I'll stop hoping MSU aspires to continue be in the playoff discussion year in and year out.

Done.

We were in the playoff discussion- UNTIL we lost to Ole Missus. There is no telling what would have happened had we beaten Ole Missus in Oxford to finish 11-1. Not sure why your panties are in a wad BearShark?

BulldogBear
04-15-2015, 08:39 PM
I fully intended on being done. What can I say. I've been baited back.

First: The whole "we" thing. I've always been a believer that you have to earn the right to say "we" and "our". You have to pursue academics or athletics at a school in order to say "we" did this or "our" team did that imo. I don't think, though, that one has to attend that same school in order for it to his/her favorite team and be able to discuss it. I'm just not going to use "we" "our" "us" etc to discuss MSU when I didn't attend. It is what it is.

Second: Yes. I have Mullen as a part of my username. While Sherrill may have more wins, Mullen has surpassed him and any other coach of my generation. If the coach that follows Mullen continues his success, it will be due in large part to Mullen's contributions. Whether Dan leaves Starkvegas on good terms or not, I'll still be a Mullen man. Call it a man crush. Call it what you will.

Third: I appreciate those of you who read the entire thread before commenting. I am aware of the Power 5 rule.. I am disappointed in the teams we have schedule since it went into effect. Not impressed with NC State. I also did not mean, though I can see how it can be read that way, that everyone but one person agreed with me. Only that multiple posters liked the idea of scheduling big time OOC games. One of these was also brashly accused of being a black bear.

Fourth: To sum up my statements and likely be done with this thread (though not this site). I think in order to remain nationally relevant, state needs big OOC games. I do not think, even with an egg bowl win, state would have been given serious consideration for the playoff. 2 teams out of Baylor, TCU, and OSU would have needed to lose in order for that to happen. We know how that turned out. I didn't miss the month of November. I alluded to Gary Patterson..maybe that was missed. His Horned Frogs were #3 and smoked Iowa State (if memory serves..I know they won their finale by 50-ish), yet were dropped all the way to 6. Staying with the facts, State was likely not going to jump TCU with an Egg Bowl win. Mullen might have gotten them to 6th and TCU 7th, but no better. You just are not being realistic if you're saying State was going to be ahead of some combination of Baylor, FSU, OSU, and TCU and get into the playoff. I think bigger OOC games add exposure (to recruits, prospective students, media), widen (not lessen) your margin for error, grow your fan base, strengthen your SOS (which the committee considers and we should as well) and make more money. You don't have to pay a chump school. There are teams willing to play a home and home with State. Trump card: Texas went to TSUN. The revenue generated for the GTA by a Texas level program would far exceed that of JSU, MSVS, or even USM. It is my OPINION that State should continue expanding its footprint. Worst case scenario, evidently, is that State loses a game it is "supposed" to lose. Best case: State could jump a Baylor-type team that had a weak nonconference schedule and/or no conference championship.

Really?

There should be an anvil around here somewhere

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 09:03 PM

I'm only going to deal with point 4 since that is what we have been debating. First and foremost we were already in serious discussions by the pundits, media, and most importantly the selection committee with one game remaining. YOU or anyone else don't know how much weight winning that last game and finishing second in the SEC wouuld have made. All indications were if we were left out we were not falling past #5 and had the the second best shot of staying in as a one loss team as well. The evidence is the final ranking when we were #7 as the highest ranking 2 loss team. And you think Mullen could have only gotten us to #6 with 1 loss at best? We were #7 with 2 losses. You are wrong. We were very deep in the committee discussions and at worst we would have been #5 because of the weight of OSU playing and winning their championship game. But it would have been very close debate as our only loss would have been to the #1 team on the road vs OSU lost to an average VA Tech at home. But we were already ahead of Baylor and TCU we did not have worry about jumping them they were behind us. And they would not jump us without conference championship game.

Oh. And again you left off Ohio State and their weak schedule who actually lost to an average power 5 school, had a much weaker SOS and not only made the playoffs but won the whole thing. Their OOC schedule Navy, Va Tech, Kent State, Cincinatti. What an elite group that is. You are off base with your thinking and last seasons facts proves this. Our up coming schedules are more than adequate.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Only Ole Missus people gab out us being left out if we had beaten them or about our scheduling. Ohio State lost to a 6-6 team and played a weaker schedule in the Big Ten- we played in the SEC- there is no comparision had we beaten Ole Missus. This is a bullshit thread.

BulldogBear
04-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Only Ole Missus people gab out us being left out if we had beaten them or about our scheduling. Ohio State lost to a 6-6 team and played a weaker schedule in the Big Ten- we played in the SEC- there is no comparision had we beaten Ole Missus. This is a bullshit thread.

^ See above

mullenman
04-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Really?

There should be an anvil around here somewhere

CLEARLY that is a dig at TSUN and a response to an earlier statement that a national program would not play a home and home with MSU.

Outside of that, you and Coach34 seriously need to reassess your priorities. Evidently you both have some sort of complex.

And State has not averaged a top 10 schedule over the last 10 years.

Really Clark? There is no doubt I agree that OSU SHOULD have been eliminated from playoff contention the moment they lost to VTech. But we both know Ohio State was not getting left out after trouncing Wisconsin in their conference game. The remaining teams that made the playoff are no debate. To your point, an undefeated team with a cupcake schedule can make it-FSU. Had they lost a single game, they are behind all the teams we have been mentioning. A stronger SOS gives you more wiggle room. Otherwise one must win games against quality opponents by astronomical numbers.

I also think Baylor would have jumped State. I wouldn't bet against TCU doing the same, so like I said. 6 or 7.

You can discuss what should have been, and we'll likely agree. I'm talking about what I think would, not should, have been. Take out the personal feelings and the desire for what you think should have been and you'll see my line of thinking is quite logical.

Todd4State
04-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Mullenman- your problem is comparing us to TCU. TCU's schedule issue wasn't as much about their OOC schedule as it was about who they played IN THEIR CONFERENCE.

Their OOC schedule was Samford, in state school SMU.....and then they played Minnesota out of the Big 10 which went 8-5 on the year. So, they played a decent OOC schedule. The problem was their Big 12 schedule which they have no control over. If they had defeated Baylor- they would have been in.

The BIG difference is we had to play Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Arkansas- and then a South Alabama team that made a bowl on the road. UAB was bowl eligible also- so they weren't horrible either. That's eight quality opponents basically. We can't control the fact that Vandy and Kentucky were not all that great but UK was decent and probably a bowl team in any other conference. Then we played our I-AA cupcake and USM- an in state school.

Then you look at the Big 12- the only conference teams that TCU beat with at least 8 wins were Kansas State and Oklahoma. West Virginia was 7-6. Texas was 6-7 after their bowl loss, Oklahoma State was 7-6, and then the rest of the league besides Baylor had losing records. Compare that to us where every team in our division made a bowl.

And the other thing that hurt TCU was the Big 12 not having a conference championship game- something that is not an issue with us either.

DancingRabbit
04-15-2015, 10:04 PM
You argue like a bear-shark. Reminds me of the TSUNbearhunter troll.

CLEARLY that is a dig at TSUN and a response to an earlier statement that a national program would not play a home and home with MSU.

Outside of that, you and Coach34 seriously need to reassess your priorities. Evidently you both have some sort of complex.

Really Clark? There is no doubt I agree that OSU SHOULD have been eliminated from playoff contention the moment they lost to VTech. But we both know Ohio State was not getting left out after trouncing Wisconsin in their conference game. The remaining teams that made the playoff are no debate. To your point, an undefeated team with a cupcake schedule can make it-FSU. Had they lost a single game, they are behind all the teams we have been mentioning. A stronger SOS gives you more wiggle room. Otherwise one must win games against quality opponents by astronomical numbers.

I also think Baylor would have jumped State. I wouldn't bet against TCU doing the same, so like I said. 6 or 7.

You can discuss what should have been, and we'll likely agree. I'm talking about what I think would, not should, have been. Take out the personal feelings and the desire for what you think should have been and you'll see my line of thinking is quite logical.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 10:06 PM

I have a complex based on what?
You think Baylor jumps us why??? We would have been 11-1 with a road loss to the #1 team. You say 6 or 7- we were #7 at 10-2- so no way in hell would we have been 6 or 7 at 11-1 you idiot. Are you really dumb enough to say that we would been 7 at 11-1 or 10-2??? Really???

SOS in Mullen's tenure???

2014- 6th in the country
2013- 32nd
2012- 17th
2011- 25th
2010- 23rd
2009- 5th

Our schedule is just fine

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 10:13 PM

No, I really don't see your point view and it's not very logically when we have the recent evidence staring us in the face. I completely disagree that Baylor would have jumped us. Our only loss would have been to #1 on the road and we would have beat Bama's only loss on the road as well. With no conference championship game neither Baylor or TCU jumps us. We were already ahead of them and our SOS was ahead of all three of those teams (including OSU).

It's pretty simple, we were already #1 with our schedule as it was last year. You don't have to strengthen our schedule to get to #1 or even with one loss still be heavy in the playoff discussions at the end of the year. We were already there and had the wiggle room with the one loss anyway. The biggest issue about getting into the playoff now and was the same with the BCS is WHEN you lose. Both Oregon and OSU got in with early losses. Because we lost to a power house in conference game on the road, the committee was reluctant to eliminate is until we did it ourselves. There is no way to know but all the models showed us neck and neck with OSU if we had won and with them winning. Baylor and TCU were going to be left out regardless because of no championship game.

BeardoMSU
04-15-2015, 10:14 PM
You argue like a bear-shark. Reminds me of the TSUNbearhunter troll.

Just a matter of time, lol.

http://cdn3.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/jayzyikes.gif

Coach34
04-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Its long obvious at this point- but we are going to continue to allow the troll because it's the offseason.

Troll- you lost on this one. Care to try another topic???

BeardoMSU
04-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Care to try another topic???

I'd love to hear him opine on the "revisionist history" thread, lol.

mullenman
04-15-2015, 10:27 PM
State's best win had they won the egg bowl? Regardless of who you think, they'd be an 8 win team.

Playoff if State won the egg bowl:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon (had a better shot at jumping to the one seed had TSUN lost the egg bowl...their loss would have been to an 8-4 crew instead of 9-3)
3. FSU
4. OSU
5. Baylor
6/7. TCU/MSU

Thanks for doing my research for me coach34. You were actually useful today. Give yourself a cookie.

O how lovely it must be
to live in an alternate reality

Maybe one day I'll join too
but logic keeps me from you

BulldogBear
04-15-2015, 10:30 PM
...CLEARLY that is a dig at TSUN....

Why even mention that? And no, I was saying don't call something Ole Miss did the "trump card" and expect anything less than what you're getting.

For the moment I'll humor you. A better example is 2013. We went 6-6, losing to Oklahoma State. If we'd played someone like Kansas or Washington State, we might not have struggled to get to a bowl game. As it is we beat everyone we knew we would beat and then had to go on the road to beat Arkansas to get to 6 wins instead of an Indiana or Boston College.

Now, if you've paid attention, you'll note that ^^^^^THIS^^^^^ was a better example of a dig at TSUN

ETA: Good Bye!

Todd4State
04-15-2015, 10:37 PM
State's best win had they won the egg bowl? Regardless of who you think, they'd be an 8 win team.

1. Alabama
2. Oregon (had a better shot at jumping to the one seed had TSUN lost the egg bowl...their loss would have been to an 8-4 crew instead of 9-3)
3. FSU
4. OSU
5. Baylor
6/7. TCU/MSU

Thanks for doing my research for me coach34. You were actually useful today. Give yourself a cookie.

O how lovely it must be

There's no way an 11-1 Baylor team would have jumped a 11-1 MSU team. Their schedule was even worse than TCU. SMU, Northwestern State, and Buffalo. People thought our OOC schedule was easy- not compared to Baylor. I don't think Ohio State would have jumped us either having lost to 6-6 Virginia Tech vs. our loss to Alabama on the road by six points.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 10:38 PM

1. Alabama
3. FSU
4. OSU
5. Baylor
6/7. TCU/MSU

O how lovely it must be

Holy mother****ering shit you stupid Rebel **********...did you miss where I posted SOS- yet you tried to post some crap about "State's best win"????

SOS 2014:

State- 6th
Baylor- 10th
Ohio State- 2nd (and that is after adding Bama and Oregon to get them into the top 15)
Fla State- 12th
TCU- 29th

and with that Troll- we bid you goodbye

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 10:48 PM

1. Alabama
3. FSU
4. OSU
5. Baylor
6/7. TCU/MSU

O how lovely it must be

According to who? You? Baylor nor TCU jumps us. Where are you getting that? The models had Baylor behind us, TCU and OSU. They were not ever at any point jumping two of the three. All things being equal, we would have been neck and neck with OSU. And this is using models that ran 10,000 simulations, like Fivethirtyeight. Not just your opinion, which flys in the face of facts and the projections at the time. Try using a source for once and keep up with the rest of us. You are the only one failing to grasp this because of false logic. My word you are obtuse and illogical.

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Holy mother****ering shit you stupid Rebel **********...did you miss where I posted SOS- yet you tried to post some crap about "State's best win"????

SOS 2014:

State- 6th
Baylor- 10th
Ohio State- 2nd (and that is after adding Bama and Oregon to get them into the top 15)
Fla State- 12th
TCU- 29th

Good riddance to that idiot

BeardoMSU
04-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Good riddance to that idiot

The light that burns twice as bright, burns for half as long...or in this guys case, about 6 hours. Wow, lol.

War Machine Dawg
04-15-2015, 10:55 PM

SOS 2014:

State- 6th
Baylor- 10th
Fla State- 12th
TCU- 29th

http://i.imgur.com/1Efe0aA.gif

Coach34
04-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Its shit like that why we have Elitedawgs. We have a BearShark come on the board and talk about SOS- we had the 6th toughest schedule in the nation this year- i mean- what the ****ing ****? how ******* delusional are you and your fanbase to say our schedule is weak when we played the 6th rated schedule in the country???

Get the **** out and go play on Sixpack with Goat

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 11:06 PM
The light that burns twice as bright, burns for half as long...or in this guys case, about 6 hours. Wow, lol.

Lol. I just think it was a defective bulb that needed to be smashed.

War Machine Dawg
04-15-2015, 11:08 PM
Its shit like that why we have Elitedawgs. We have a BearShark come on the board and talk about SOS- we had the 6th toughest schedule in the nation this year- i mean- what the ****ing ****? how ******* delusional are you and your fanbase to say our schedule is weak when we played the 6th rated schedule in the country???

Get the **** out and go play on Sixpack with Goat

http://i.imgur.com/xHFRtju.gif

War Machine Dawg
04-15-2015, 11:09 PM

1. Alabama
3. FSU
4. OSU
5. Baylor
6/7. TCU/MSU

O how lovely it must be

http://i.imgur.com/SxaUCLY.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ElMQg59.gif

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 11:18 PM
I will give it to him for one correct statement "Maybe one day I'll join too but logic keeps me from you". I know he meant it as he was too logical for us but give a monkey enough tries and he will get an answer right regardless of his lack of intelligence. Not that I am comparing him to an untrained monkey, that would be demeaning to monkey's.

BulldogBear
04-15-2015, 11:20 PM

Look at our schedule vs the weaker schedule OM has this season...we should schedule as weak of an OOC schedule as we are allowed, bc we don't need any help from OOC opponents to beef up our SOS.

Actually Cadaver, I'm suspecting it was just one Beardoucheshark. So, what's better than two of them answering each other to make it seem legit?

Why that's easy...one Beardoucheshark talking to himself to make a thread look legit of course.

BeardoMSU
04-15-2015, 11:22 PM
Beardoucheshark

Just WT17 you trying to say ass hole!?!?!*** ;)

BulldogBear
04-15-2015, 11:32 PM
Just WT17 you trying to say ass hole!?!?!*** ;)

Clearly I was saying Beardoucheshark. I don't know what you're upset about. What harm can come from a beardshark?

A disturbing image is popping into my head.

Uh oh. And just like that I have a new name by which to refer to TSUN folks.

BeardoMSU
04-15-2015, 11:35 PM
Clearly I was saying Beardoucheshark. I don't know what you're upset about. What harm can come from a beardshark?

A disturbing image is popping into my head.

Uh oh. And just like that I have a new name by which to refer to TSUN folks.

I was just kidding, bud.

You're right....terrifying....

http://oi61.tinypic.com/259zkpl.jpg

BulldogBear
04-15-2015, 11:39 PM
I was just kidding, bud.

You're right....terrifying....

http://oi61.tinypic.com/259zkpl.jpg
I did. I thought my response was humorous. I failed.

But still, I think I'm gonna like the term "beardshark"

Coach34
04-16-2015, 08:35 AM
Didn't people have Bama over us at 11-1 bc of their win over WVU? ls

uhhhhhh what???? People had Bama 11-1 over us because they BEAT US- had nothing to do with WV

Really Clark?
04-16-2015, 08:50 AM
uhhhhhh what???? People had Bama 11-1 Bama over us because they BEAT US- had nothing to do with WV

Now coach, don't let little things like head to head or facts from last season get in the way of a good SOS argument that we can't get a top 10 ranking...I mean actually be discussed about as a playoff team...I mean actually get ranked in the Top 4...well maybe that happened, but we can't get to #1 because of our weak OOC schedule...we did? Well we can't keep the #1 for more tha one week...two...three...wait you mean to tell me we were #1 for five weeks and OSU got in the playoffs even though they had a home 14 point loss to Va Tech? Well the point still stands we need to have a better than 6th ranked SOS if we want to keep being a top 15 type team. Vegas has us in the Top 15 right now you say? Well those facts do not line up with my logic and my logic is good! Screw you guys, I'm going home!!***

ETA. Statefan all of that was not aimed at you necessarily but coach was right it was the head to head that was the issue in comparison to Bama.

BulldogBear
04-16-2015, 09:28 AM
We better schedule Alabama, Auburn, and LSU asap****

Jack Lambert
04-16-2015, 10:20 AM
I remember when we scheduled GT and W. Viginia they really sucked but by the time we got to them they were both top 5. You really never know how good a team is however you have to think the fans of the schools we have scheduled in the future are thinking damn.