PDA

View Full Version : In preparation of USMNT vs El Tri...I present to you

TheRef
04-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Here is Fox Sports' Rob Stone speaking to American Outlaws in San Antonio last night to pump up the crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnpdOopOyRY

DudyDawg
04-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Even tho the turf blows, pretty good pace to start. Looks like a complete sell out. It's loud on TV. Hope we can win. Seems to be a Mexico home game in San Antonio.....

War Machine Dawg
04-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Hell of a game. Crowd was definitely pro-Mexico. Morris getting the first goal was awesome. He's going to be a stud, hope he can make the team for the World Cup. Nice to see Agudelo come back and score, too. Pretty sweet shot from just outside the box. Is he only 22? Fox crew said he debuted in 2010 when he was 17. He could be another nice young piece for us going forward.

Let the El Tri tears and excuses flow. We kicked their ass tonight. And best of all it was our young players who really stepped up when we needed it. Some of the current big names will be getting a little long in the tooth by the time the next WC rolls around, so fresh blood could be a big deal.

TheRef
04-15-2015, 10:38 PM
Most definitely an entertaining game to watch. I was at Dave's playing trivia while the game was going on. People were interested in the game and the bar went crazy every time we scored or got close. I can't wait for the Gold Cup.

War Machine Dawg
04-15-2015, 10:58 PM
Most definitely an entertaining game to watch. I was at Dave's playing trivia while the game was going on. People were interested in the game and the bar went crazy every time we scored or got close. I can't wait for the Gold Cup.

Kept hearing the Fox guys mentioning that, Ref. How soon is it? And care to give us newbies a concise explanation of what it is? I got the impression it was essentially a "playoff" game to get into some tournament in Russia.

TheRef
04-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Kept hearing the Fox guys mentioning that, Ref. How soon is it? And care to give us newbies a concise explanation of what it is? I got the impression it was essentially a "playoff" game to get into some tournament in Russia.

The CONCACAF Gold Cup is a tournament held every two years, and fell on the same year as the FIFA Confederations Cup in 2013. With that in mind, they have decided to start pitting the two latest Gold Cup winners against each other to qualify for the FIFA Confederations Cup. The Gold Cup consists of all three North American Teams, 4 from Central America, 4 Carribean teams, and who wins between a playoff of the 5th place Central American and Carribean teams.

The FIFA Confederations Cup is a tournament that is held in the country that will host the World Cup the following year. Think of it like a pre-World Cup. Basically, the winners of each FIFA Confederation Championship, i.e. UEFA, CONCACAF. Along with the host nation, will face off in two, 4-team groups that face off in a round robin. Then the two top teams of each group will face each other in the Semis. It's a good way to see how your country is doing the year before the FIFA World Cup.

Outside Dawg
04-16-2015, 08:34 AM
The CONCACAF Gold Cup is a tournament held every two years, and fell on the same year as the FIFA Confederations Cup in 2013. With that in mind, they have decided to start pitting the two latest Gold Cup winners against each other to qualify for the FIFA Confederations Cup. The Gold Cup consists of all three North American Teams, 4 from Central America, 4 Carribean teams, and who wins between a playoff of the 5th place Central American and Carribean teams.

Here is the schedule. Takes place in July. http://www.concacaf.com/category/gold-cup

Every year I wish one of these international matches would take place in Nashville, Memphis, or St. Louis, so I could drive to one. Never happens.

War Machine Dawg
04-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Here is the schedule. Takes place in July. http://www.concacaf.com/category/gold-cup

Every year I wish one of these international matches would take place in Nashville, Memphis, or St. Louis, so I could drive to one. Never happens.

Watching the game last night got me thinking how awesome it would be if they'd have games in some of the college football stadiums. Can you imagine 100k+ in Death Valley for a game, for instance?

No way I see Memphis ever getting any sort of prestigious event without some serious planning and foresight. The Liberty Bowl is a dump and located in one of the worst parts of town. They'd need to build a new stadium in a better area for something like that to come here, but city politics will inevitably get in the way and keep it from happening. Wish like hell we could get an MLS team, but I think Nashville would be much more likely. And St. Louis would probably be a top choice before both.

TheRef
04-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Watching the game last night got me thinking how awesome it would be if they'd have games in some of the college football stadiums. Can you imagine 100k+ in Death Valley for a game, for instance?

No way I see Memphis ever getting any sort of prestigious event without some serious planning and foresight. The Liberty Bowl is a dump and located in one of the worst parts of town. They'd need to build a new stadium in a better area for something like that to come here, but city politics will inevitably get in the way and keep it from happening. Wish like hell we could get an MLS team, but I think Nashville would be much more likely. And St. Louis would probably be a top choice before both.

The problem with that is most of those require chairbacks for International games. Football stadiums would be out of the question from that point forward.

I wish we would get a MLS team. From what I've heard, Atlanta is in the process of getting one.

DudyDawg
04-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Atlanta is getting one in 2017, as is Minnesota if I have my dates right. Then they will likely go to Miami if they can get land for a stadium (expect to see Cristiano play for them due to David beckhams ownership) and possibly one more, then stop expansion. Best Nashville or Memphis can hope for is an NASL team and hope for relegation promotion in the distant future