PDA

View Full Version : Outlook for basketball next year...

smootness
04-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Ok, this is going to be really long, so I'll go ahead and apologize for that now.

I saw Bobby Portis is heading for the draft, and after Kentucky and LSU's defections, I just wanted to see where people honestly feel we'll stack up in the SEC. For the purposes of the discussion, I'm going with the assumption that we will add both Newman and Kasongo and won't lose anyone currently on the roster. I don't want this thread to become a discussion of who will stay, our chances with guys, etc. Just go with those assumptions and discuss where you think we'd stack up.

First, here is what our roster would look like:
1 - Newman
2 - Sword
3 - Houston
4 - Kasongo
5 - Ware

Ready
Thomas
Daniels
Weatherspoon
Black
Zuppardo
Ndoye
Dunlap

Pretty solid roster with some depth and definitely experienced. Newman would obviously be a huge talent infusion and would give us two legitimate scorers. Now compare that with what the rest of the league will look like. I'm going to highlight impact losses, impact returnees, and what each team has coming in. I think we can just skip past Missouri and Alabama. Also, with Auburn losing Harrell and Mason, even with a decent recruiting class, I'm leaving them out as well, along with Tennessee (they're in transition and lose Richardson). The remaining 9 look like this:

Kentucky:
Losing - Towns, Cauley-Stein, Lyles, Harrison 1, Harrison 2, Booker, Dakari Johnson
Returning - Tyler Ulis, Marcus Lee, Alex Poythress (probably), Derek Willis
Incoming - Skal Labissiere, Isaiah Briscoe, Charles Matthews; ??

Potential starting 5:
Ulis
Briscoe
Poythress
Lee
Labissiere

They'll certainly add another 2-3 guys, but from what I've heard, they'll probably strike out with most of the top guys and may go after a 5th year guy from Charlotte. It will be interesting; they'll still have about 5-6 5-star guys but will be even younger and more inexperienced than UK usually is, and will depend on Poythress staying healthy.

LSU:
Losing - Jarell Martin, Jordan Mickey
Returning - Quarterman, Hornsby, Gray, Patterson; they'll also add Craig Victor in January
Incoming - Ben Simmons, Antonio Blakeney, maybe Brandon Sampson

Potential starting 5:
Quarterman
Blakeney
Hornsby
Simmons
Victor

They're going to be good, but I'm not sure they'll have enough guys, especially in the post. Victor will be key for them next year. They'll need him to put it together quickly if they're really going to make a run. Their freshmen will obviously be really good, but that returning cast just isn't that much to get excited about.

Florida:
Losing - Michael Frazier
Returning - Dorian Finney-Smith, Eli Carter, Kasey Hill, Chris Walker, some good young talent (Horford's bro, Robinson)
Incoming - fairly typical Florida class; 4 4-star guys, all in the top 100 but none in the top 50; Kevaughn Allen is the best

Potential starting 5:
Hill
Carter
Walker
Finney-Smith
Horford

Pretty typical Florida team, I think they'll definitely take a step forward and will be an NCAA Tournament team. Just not sure they'll contend for the conference title. They'll be very deep, but losing Frazier will hurt.

Arkansas:
Losing - Bobby Portis, possibly Michael Qualls, Rashad Madden, Alandise Harris
Returning - Anthlon Bell, Anton Beard, Moses Kingsley
Incoming - Ted Kapita (top 40-ish PF), Jimmy Whitt (top 60-ish SG)

They're not going to be all that good, will take a major step back if they lose Qualls. I don't even care what their starting 5 will be, they'll be young and not talented enough for that not to matter.

Ole Miss:
Losing - Jarvis Summers, Ladarius White, MJ Rhett
Returning - Stefan Moody, Sebastian Saiz, Dwight Coleby, Newby
Incoming - 3 decent recruits, but all SGs for whatever reason; no one of note

Potential starting 5:
Moody
Newby
Hymon?
Saiz
Coleby

They'll take a pretty big step back as well, even with Moody coming back. He and Saiz will be pretty good, and they have some other solid guys, but nowhere near enough taent.

Georgia:
Losing - Marcus Thornton, Djurisic
Returning - Kenny Gaines, Charles Mann, JJ Frazier, Yante Maten
Incoming - 3 solid recruits, all ranked about 100-200; no real impact guys

Potential starting 5:
Frazier
Gaines
Mann
Cameron Forte
Maten

I've seen some people predict them to be pretty good again next year, but I don't see it. They're losing what I think were their two best players, and they were about the only thing they had going for them down low. Fox is a good coach, but they're going to be extremely small next year.

Texas A&M:
Losing - Kourtney Roberson, Jordan Green
Returning - Danuel House, Jalen Jones, Alex Caruso, Alex Robinson, Peyton Allen
Incoming - 4 4-star guys, all top 80 types. DJ Hogg is a borderline 5-star at PF, then two high to mid 4-stars at C in Tyler Davis and Elijah Thomas

Potential starting 5:
Caruso
Jones
House
Hogg
Davis/Thomas

I think they may win the SEC next year. Their frontline will be very young but really talented, and their backcourt will be extremely good and senior-laden. Their recruiting class fills next year's needs with impact guys. They're going to be really, really good.

Vanderbilt:
Losing - James Siakam
Returning - Damian Jones, Riley LaChance, Wade Baldwin, Luke Kornet, Matthew Fisher-Davis
Incoming - solid class, 4 guys ranked in the 100s, though no real instant impact types

Potential starting 5:
Baldwin
LaChance
Fisher-Davis
Kornet
Jones

They're going to be very good as well. They ended the year on fire last year, and getting Jones back was big. They'll definitely be a Tournament team next year.

South Carolina
Losing - Tyrone Johnson
Returning - Duane Notice, Sindarius Thornwell, Michael Carrera, Chatkevicius, Demetrius Henry, Marcus Stroman
Incoming - TeMarcus Blanton (was on the team this year but didn't play due to injury); 5-star G Perry Dozier, solid 4-star PF Chris Silva

Potential starting 5:
Notice
Thornwell
Dozier
Carrera
Chatkevicius

I included them because they're intriguing to me. I think they could take a step forward next year with a good bit of young talent. The tough thing for them is that most of their talent is in the backcourt; they're going to be small. But Dozier, Thornwell, and Blanton is a good young trio.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, my ranking for next year would go like this:
1. Texas A&M
2. Kentucky
3. Vanderbilt
4. Florida
5. LSU
6. Mississippi State
7. South Carolina
8. Georgia
9-14. Doesn't matter

I think the SEC could get as many as 7 in the Tournament next year. It might not have any of the top 10 teams in the country, but there will be a lot of solid to really good teams.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Great work & I think we'll be a top 6 or 7 team & if the role players can find their niche we can be top 5. Like you said there are no elite teams next year. Kentucky will still be by far the best.

smootness
04-14-2015, 10:48 PM
You may be right on Kentucky, but I'm not sold on their incoming talent. Labissiere is great, but Briscoe and Matthews, while 5-stars, aren't really what they're used to bringing in.

I just really like what A&M is going to have. Being able to rely on 3 really good seniors in the backcourt will be huge.

ScottH
04-14-2015, 10:53 PM
Nice work. Thanks for compiling.

messageboardsuperhero
04-14-2015, 10:57 PM
If we sign Newman and Kasongo, I see no reason why we couldn't be an NCAA team. That may be sunshine pumping- but it seems realistic, IMO. Anything less than an NIT would be a pretty big disappointment to me. That roster is actually pretty talented and would be well coached.

Dawg61
04-14-2015, 10:59 PM
Kentucky is a mystery at this point till Cal signs about five more guys but they are going to take a huge step back. Losing 7 guys hurts idc who you are.

messageboardsuperhero
04-14-2015, 11:00 PM
Also, have we finalized a schedule yet for next year? I'd really like to see us beef it up for RPI purposes.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-14-2015, 11:02 PM
A starting lineup that has Ulis, Poythres, Lee, & Laibraisse in it is going to be a good team. By the end of the signing period they'll still be a preseason top 10 team.

chef dixon
04-14-2015, 11:02 PM
If we sign Newman and Kasongo, I see no reason why we couldn't be an NCAA team. That may be sunshine pumping- but it seems realistic, IMO. Anything less than an NIT would be a pretty big disappointment to me. That roster is actually pretty talented and would be well coached.

I agree. We also aren't taking into account Howland's pure coaching ability to improve the performance of what we already have. You'd have to think he'd have accounted for at least 3-4 more wins this past season. It's not like we would be adding Newman and Kasongo to Ray's train wreck of an offense.

smootness
04-14-2015, 11:06 PM
A starting lineup that has Ulis, Poythres, Lee, & Laibraisse in it is going to be a good team. By the end of the signing period they'll still be a preseason top 10 team.

I agree, they're definitely going to be good. The question is simply, how good? I think Ulis is really good, but he's not elite. He was helped more by the team surrounding him last year than the other way around. I love Poythress' game, but he's a bit of an unknown for next year at this point. Lee is a former 5-star, but that ranking might change in hindsight, though he's still very good.

So what they return is good, though not great. And their recruiting class won't be up to the normal standards. I just don't see them being a top 10 team next year.

Aces High
04-14-2015, 11:15 PM
#stansbury'd

No coincidence our former coach will have arguably the best sec team next year.

Dawg61
04-14-2015, 11:17 PM
Kentucky was in the running for GOAT this year. Even if they only drop to #2 in the country it will still be a huge step back. No way in hell they're #2.

msstate7
04-15-2015, 06:42 AM
I think we're gonna be good, but are we being overly optimistic? Howland hasn't had a winning record in his 1st year at any of his previous schools. I like to think that having a veteran team and adding 2 top 100 players (Malik and westherspoon) along with a coveted big man, will help howland win big in his 1st year for the 1st time

messageboardsuperhero
04-15-2015, 07:23 AM
I think we're gonna be good, but are we being overly optimistic? Howland hasn't had a winning record in his 1st year at any of his previous schools. I like to think that having a veteran team and adding 2 top 100 players (Malik and westherspoon) along with a coveted big man, will help howland win big in his 1st year for the 1st time

I've been thinking about this too. It's tough for me to gauge our expectations for next year- especially this far out.

I do think that this situation is better than others Howland has had to deal with in the past. Northern Arizona was a train wreck, and Pitt had totally fallen off the map- neither of those schools had much talent either. And UCLA had some talent but also a lot of discipline problems that had to be remedied. We don't have any discipline issues and actually look fairly talented on paper if we add Newman. Plus Ray's philosophies on defense aren't much different from Howland's, so that should smooth the transition.

PG- Newman, Ready
SG- Sword, Newman, Weatherspoon
SF- Houston, Thomas
PF- Kasongo, Zuppardo, Black
C- Ware

Daniels is in there somewhere too. That's really not a terrible lineup by any stretch of the imagination, and they're finally going to get some decent offensive instruction. It's just so hard to guess right now. If everything goes right I could see us in the tourney though. NIT at worst IMO.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 07:41 AM

No we are not being overly optimistic. A Rick Ray coached team if it could have stayed healthy next year with what we had plus Spoon and Tookie Monster would have been an NIT team. Our team could have easily pulled off 5-6 more wins this past season with a healthy Sword and IJ plus Tookie instead of Bloodman

Subtract Tookie but add Malik and Kosongo- then throw in Howland and his staff- and there is no reason we cant make the NCAA Tourney barring any unforeseen injuries, transfers, or suspensions

msstate7
04-15-2015, 07:45 AM
No we are not being overly optimistic. A Rick Ray coached team if it could have stayed healthy next year with what we had plus Spoon and Tookie Monster would have been an NIT team. Our team could have easily pulled off 5-6 more wins this past season with a healthy Sword and IJ plus Tookie instead of Bloodman

Subtract Tookie but add Malik and Kosongo- then throw in Howland and his staff- and there is no reason we cant make the NCAA Tourney barring any unforeseen injuries, transfers, or suspensions

I think you're right.

What's crazy is if ready and sword didn't have back surgery, we might still have ray this year.

starkvegasdawg
04-15-2015, 08:17 AM
I think you're right.

What's crazy is if ready and sword didn't have back surgery, we might still have ray this year.

So there was a positive from them going under the knife.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2015, 08:34 AM
I agree, they're definitely going to be good. The question is simply, how good? I think Ulis is really good, but he's not elite. He was helped more by the team surrounding him last year than the other way around. I love Poythress' game, but he's a bit of an unknown for next year at this point. Lee is a former 5-star, but that ranking might change in hindsight, though he's still very good.

So what they return is good, though not great. And their recruiting class won't be up to the normal standards. I just don't see them being a top 10 team next year.

No of course they won't be as good as this past year but they'll be really good. Also their recruiting class is #1 or #2 right now & that's before they add another 2 or 3 players.

maroonmania
04-15-2015, 09:26 AM

I'll say this, if its being overly optimistic to say we are a definite NCAA team with all the SRs we have coming back PLUS assuming we sign Malik, Kasongo and have Q coming in, then you better set some low expectations for Howland's second year if Malik is one and done. YES, I would be shocked if we can't make a 68 team NCAA field next year with everything we should have on the roster PLUS a now proven coaching staff that will be competent on teaching the offensive end of the floor along with defense. Sounds like we've been beaten down so much as a fanbase the last 3 or 4 years in basketball we are scared to have ANY expectations. Now, I don't know how far we can get but we should at least expect to make the field. And as has been mentioned, I don't believe Howland has ever had the quality of team in other places his first year that he should have this coming year at MSU.

Coach34
04-15-2015, 09:33 AM
We will have a very strong Guard-tandem- with solid back-ups in Ready and Spoon...solid 3's...and solid 4's and 5's...I like this team

Thick
04-15-2015, 09:38 AM
I'll say this, if its being overly optimistic to say we are a definite NCAA team with all the SRs we have coming back PLUS assuming we sign Malik, Kasongo and have Q coming in, then you better set some low expectations for Howland's second year if Malik is one and done. YES, I would be shocked if we can't make a 68 team NCAA field next year with everything we should have on the roster PLUS a now proven coaching staff that will be competent on the teaching the offensive end of the floor along with defense. Sounds like we've been beaten down so much as a fanbase the last 3 or 4 years in basketball we are scared to have ANY expectations. Now, I don't know how far we can get but we should at least expect to make the field. And as has been mentioned, I don't believe Howland has ever had the quality of team in other places his first year that he should have this coming year at MSU.

Good post!

messageboardsuperhero
04-15-2015, 09:56 AM
I'll say this, if its being overly optimistic to say we are a definite NCAA team with all the SRs we have coming back PLUS assuming we sign Malik, Kasongo and have Q coming in, then you better set some low expectations for Howland's second year if Malik is one and done. YES, I would be shocked if we can't make a 68 team NCAA field next year with everything we should have on the roster PLUS a now proven coaching staff that will be competent on the teaching the offensive end of the floor along with defense. Sounds like we've been beaten down so much as a fanbase the last 3 or 4 years in basketball we are scared to have ANY expectations. Now, I don't know how far we can get but we should at least expect to make the field. And as has been mentioned, I don't believe Howland has ever had the quality of team in other places his first year that he should have this coming year at MSU.

I agree.

This isn't going to be like his previous jobs where he's had to blow it up and start from scratch for a couple of years. He's been given a few nice experienced pieces, no discipline issues, plus the strong possibility to land the best high school guard in the country right out of the gate. No reason why we can't be a possible tourney team next year.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-15-2015, 10:28 AM
If Kasongo comes in & is able to translate the shot-blocking ability he shows in his juco video to the SEC - we become a much better team. We haven't had anyone that can protect the basket when a guy gets beat off the dribble in a long time. Ware can't stop the drive without fouling, Black needs to get bigger & stronger, Zuppo seems to be more of a stretch 4, Ndoye... i wish.

Since Varnado expired, I've learned to expect us to foul or concede the goal anytime a guard gets beat to the basket. Many of the late-clock wide open 3s that we've seen so often can also be attributed to this weakness, as perimeter defenders get sucked in without confidence in the team's post defense. Nobody on our current roster changes that expectation for me, but what I've seen of Kasongo makes me think he can be the drive-stopping, shot-altering eraser that we've missed for so long.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2015, 10:46 AM
If Kasongo comes in & is able to translate the shot-blocking ability he shows in his juco video to the SEC - we become a much better team. We haven't had anyone that can protect the basket when a guy gets beat off the dribble in a long time. Ware can't stop the drive without fouling, Black needs to get bigger & stronger, Zuppo seems to be more of a stretch 4, Ndoye... i wish.

Since Varnado expired, I've learned to expect us to foul or concede the goal anytime a guard gets beat to the basket. Many of the late-clock wide open 3s that we've seen so often can also be attributed to this weakness, as perimeter defenders get sucked in without confidence in the team's post defense. Nobody on our current roster changes that expectation for me, but what I've seen of Kasongo makes me think he can be the drive-stopping, shot-altering eraser that we've missed for so long.

That's the thing people don't seem to get with Kasongo when they look at his stats. Playing only 15min/game he avg over 2blks/game. All I want out of Kasongo next year is a guy who can give us a presence in the paint on defense, run the floor like a mad man on offense, & be able to convert the lobs, putbacks, & finish strong around the rim. I'm not expecting him to be a dominant low post scorer next year. If he can give us 10-12ppg 6-8rpg 2bpg he's had a great year for us.

smootness
04-15-2015, 11:18 AM
No of course they won't be as good as this past year but they'll be really good. Also their recruiting class is #1 or #2 right now & that's before they add another 2 or 3 players.

Their recruiting class will always be #1 under Cal, though, so you have to evaluate it relatively. This class won't be as good as some of their others. They've won the SEC 3 times under Cal, but they've also lost 6 SEC games 3 times under him. And in each of those years, they had the #1 recruiting class.

I have them #2, I think they'll be really good. I just took issue with the 'by far the best' claim.

msstate7
04-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Next year I look for Florida to drastically improve. I just don't see billy being down 2 years in a row

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Their recruiting class will always be #1 under Cal, though, so you have to evaluate it relatively. This class won't be as good as some of their others. They've won the SEC 3 times under Cal, but they've also lost 6 SEC games 3 times under him. And in each of those years, they had the #1 recruiting class.

I have them #2, I think they'll be really good. I just took issue with the 'by far the best' claim.

The by far was prolly a stretch I admit but I'm just not sold on A&M being the cream of the SEC crop.

maroonmania
04-15-2015, 01:04 PM

Their issue is that with losing THIS many current big time players they will need the vast majority of their signees to be impact players right off the bat. That's just an iffy situation. Go back and look at what KY's recruiting ranking was the year before they missed the NCAAs all together a couple of years ago under Cal. I would be willing to bet it was probably #1 or #2.

Dawg61
04-15-2015, 02:06 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Fred & Daniels play next year. They will have zero pressure on them to be scorers for us which should help them relax and could make them much better. If Fred just focuses on being a shutdown defender and spot shooter he will have sneaky value.

Brad Stevens
04-15-2015, 02:14 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Fred & Daniels play next year. They will have zero pressure on them to be scorers for us which should help them relax and could make them much better. If Fred just focuses on being a shutdown defender and spot shooter he will have sneaky value.

Great post, seriously. I agree 100%. I actually think Fred will start at the 3 and be the primary defender on opposing teams' best guard to free up Sword and Malik offensively.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Great post, seriously. I agree 100%. I actually think Fred will start at the 3 and be the primary defender on opposing teams' best guard to free up Sword and Malik offensively.

Me personally I'd rather start Houston. We have enough scorers in the starting 5 where he can just focus solely on playing defense & being that energy guy. He also gives more length & size to the backcourt/wing. I also like the idea of bringing Fred off the bench & being that 6th man type guy.

Political Hack
04-15-2015, 02:26 PM
That's the thing people don't seem to get with Kasongo when they look at his stats. Playing only 15min/game he avg over 2blks/game. All I want out of Kasongo next year is a guy who can give us a presence in the paint on defense, run the floor like a mad man on offense, & be able to convert the lobs, putbacks, & finish strong around the rim. I'm not expecting him to be a dominant low post scorer next year. If he can give us 10-12ppg 6-8rpg 2bpg he's had a great year for us.

Assuming he comes, he and Zupp will probably split time about evenly. I think people are going to love Zupp when it's all said and done. The kid can score with his back to the basket, facing the basket, with his right, and with his left. He's going to be incredibly valuable to us in the set offense if we can't get an easy shot in transition. Plus, he can run the floor too. I think the 3 and 4 spots could be the deepest on the team next year, assuming the class lands the way we expect it to.

smootness
04-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Their issue is that with losing THIS many current big time players they will need the vast majority of their signees to be impact players right off the bat. That's just an iffy situation. Go back and look at what KY's recruiting ranking was the year before they missed the NCAAs all together a couple of years ago under Cal. I would be willing to bet it was probably #1 or #2.

That's pretty much exactly my point.

Schultzy
04-15-2015, 11:19 PM
Qualls announced entering draft, projected 2nd round or maybe not even getting picked.

Dawg61
04-15-2015, 11:39 PM
Qualls announced entering draft, projected 2nd round or maybe not even getting picked.

Arkansas loses Portis and Qualls. MSU moving up daily in the SEC pecking order right now. If we get MN and RK we can finish top 6 SEC.

1. UK
2. aTm
3. Vandy
4. UF
5. MSU
6. OM
7. Georgia
8. LSU
9. Arky
10. USCe
11. Auburn
12. Bama
13. Tennessee
14. Mizzou

BeardoMSU
04-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Arkansas loses Portis and Qualls. MSU moving up daily in the SEC pecking order right now. If we get MN and RK we can finish top 6 SEC.

1. UK
2. aTm
3. Vandy
4. UF
5. MSU
6. OM
7. Georgia
8. LSU
9. Arky
10. USCe
11. Auburn
12. Bama
13. Tennessee
14. Mizzou

If we add those two plus Spoon, there really isn't anyone in the SEC that I feel totally hopeless against on any given night, truth be told. We could make some serious noise.

msstate7
04-16-2015, 06:12 AM
If we add those two plus Spoon, there really isn't anyone in the SEC that I feel totally hopeless against on any given night, truth be told. We could make some serious noise.

If we had a 3-point specialist, I'd feel even better.

msstate7
04-16-2015, 07:19 AM
Could we have the best backcourt in the sec this season? If sword continues to improve his 3-point shooting, I think we might

messageboardsuperhero
04-16-2015, 07:41 AM

1. UK
2. aTm
3. Vandy
4. UF
5. MSU
6. OM
7. Georgia
8. LSU
9. Arky
10. USCe
11. Auburn
12. Bama
13. Tennessee
14. Mizzou

What about UM's roster makes you feel they finish 6th? Frankly, if you take Newman totally out of the equation for both teams, I don't think their roster is any better than ours is right now. Moody is great, but who else do they have that is even an above average player?

LSU and UGA will both be better than UM next year.

smootness
04-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Could we have the best backcourt in the sec this season? If sword continues to improve his 3-point shooting, I think we might

There will be some good backcourts in the conference, and I would probably put A&M at the top. But yes, ours will be very good, and if Newman is all he's hyped to be it's possible.

Political Hack
04-16-2015, 09:46 AM

Sword is a slasher who can run the floor and get to the rack. I expect Bulldog Ben to use his strengths, not make him focus on his weaknesses.

We need to make sure his overall shooting % is around 60%. In order to do that, he needs to take it inside a lot. Fred is the X-factor at the 3-point line to me. He's long and you want him expending his energy on the defensive side of the floor. If he can perch and hit open 3's he'd really spread the floor for us offensively and conserve energy for defense. That's the ideal situation IMO.

drunkernhelldawg
04-16-2015, 09:58 AM

I agree. That first year is a real unknown. Last season we were competing again. That was progress. Next season is a big question mark. Howland will we do?

Dawg61
04-16-2015, 10:08 AM
What about UM's roster makes you feel they finish 6th? Frankly, if you take Newman totally out of the equation for both teams, I don't think their roster is any better than ours is right now. Moody is great, but who else do they have that is even an above average player?

LSU and UGA will both be better than UM next year.

Kennedy has pulled Marshall and Moody and they made the NCAA tournament with both so I'm giving AK the benefit of the doubt that he finds another good to great player. LSU will miss the hell out of Mickey & Martin.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Sword is a slasher who can run the floor and get to the rack. I expect Bulldog Ben to use his strengths, not make him focus on his weaknesses.

We need to make sure his overall shooting % is around 60%. In order to do that, he needs to take it inside a lot. Fred is the X-factor at the 3-point line to me. He's long and you want him expending his energy on the defensive side of the floor. If he can perch and hit open 3's he'd really spread the floor for us offensively and conserve energy for defense. That's the ideal situation IMO.

Nobody in the SEC shot over 55% from the field last year. I do think Chicken can become more efficient & shoot around 50% but 60% for a 6'2" guard is a stretch.

Jack Lambert
04-16-2015, 10:25 AM

I am curious to see what kind of out of conference scheduling he does. I did hear him say that Atlanta is going to be a big recruiting area for him.

Political Hack
04-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Nobody in the SEC shot over 55% from the field last year. I do think Chicken can become more efficient & shoot around 50% but 60% for a 6'2" guard is a stretch.

fair enough, but he already shot 50% from 2 last season. I'd expect that to go up once he stops taking 35% of his shots from 3-point range and starts looking to attack the basket more. I'll split the difference with you and we'll demand 55%. Deal?

Coach34
04-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Sword also shot 40% from 3 last year during SEC play. It is a strength for him now. Between he and Newman- we should be able to stretch defenses enough to create some driving lanes and get easier baskets this season- plus the drive and kick outs.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2015, 10:34 AM
fair enough, but he already shot 50% from 2 last season. I'd expect that to go up once he stops taking 35% of his shots from 3-point range and starts looking to attack the basket more. I'll split the difference with you and we'll demand 55%. Deal?

I'll say this if Chicken shoots 55% from the field next year put on your dancing shoes bc we'll be in the dance easily.

smootness
04-16-2015, 10:35 AM
60?! What the heck? Even 55% would be insane. Your expectations are far too high.

Sword's best quality is a slasher, yes, but he shot well enough at the end of last year to justify doing it, especially since it opens up the defense for him to be able to drive.

If all you do is drive to the basket every time you get the ball, teams aren't going to let you do it. He has to be able to hit open jump shots, which he did last year.

He is never going to even think about approaching 55% from the field. That is crazy.

Jack Lambert
04-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Sword also shot 40% from 3 last year during SEC play. It is a strength for him now. Between he and Newman- we should be able to stretch defenses enough to create some driving lanes and get easier baskets this season- plus the drive and kick outs.

Howland had some very good things to say about the Seniors when I heard him speak. He said that he has not seen Sword at all since getting to MSU because he is having problems with back. He seemed to think he came back too soon. Just think how good he is going to be when he is 100%. Also Said Ware could be one of the best big men he has seen. He said that Ware will take at lest twice the number of shots he took last year. He wants him to lose about 10 more pounds. He also said that the defense is going to be very mean.

I enjoyed listening to him very much.

He also gave both Richard Williams and Stands credit for keeping MSU basketball on the map. He did not say anything about Ray.

messageboardsuperhero
04-16-2015, 10:52 AM
Howland had some very good things to say about the Seniors when I heard him speak. He said that he has not seen Sword at all since getting to MSU because he is having problems with back. He seemed to think he came back too soon. Just think how good he is going to be when he is 100%. Also Said Ware could be one of the best big men he has seen. He said that Ware will take at lest twice the number of shots he took last year. He wants him to lose about 10 more pounds. He also said that the defense is going to be very mean.

He also gave both Richard Williams and Stands credit for keeping MSU basketball on the map. He did not say anything about Ray.

Yeah, he spoke highly of the seniors in the BSR interview too... I only wish he had more than one year to work with them.

IMO, the biggest thing our team needs now is an attitude adjustment. We just seemed content at times with being mediocre, and that's not going to cut it anymore. Not to say that the current players don't work hard- but they just have no idea how to win. Somebody needs to come in and be a leader, punch the returning players in the gut, and force them to be aggressive and winners. I think Howland and Newman can do that.

maroonmania
04-16-2015, 11:32 AM

Yep, when I've heard him its obvious he believes he has a very good nucleus to work with already here. He makes it obvious that upon reviewing our games from this past season that the number one thing holding us back is assist to turnover ratio as a team and with certain individual players. He says that will be one of the key things he and his staff will be working overtime to correct in the offseason.

I seen it dawg
04-16-2015, 04:44 PM
Newman to State.

Coach34
04-16-2015, 05:19 PM

We were good on D under Ray this past year- Howland should really make this group tough