PDA

View Full Version : MSU vs TSUN post-Vaught fun facts

blacklistedbully
04-14-2015, 06:08 PM
We all well know the laughably delusional air of superiority and preposterously inflated ego those pricks up north have. We know,as do they, that we have owned them in basketball and baseball for a long time, with a few brief exceptions.

But what they simply can't accept is that we have also managed to somewhat surpass them in football since Vaught retired all those many decades ago. Their fragile egos simply can't accept the reality of these facts:

Post Vaught
Top 25 rankings - MSU 10, TSUN 8
Top 20 rankings - MSU 6, TSUN 5
Top 15 rankings - MSU 3, TSUN 2
# of decades in rankings - MSU 5 (70's, 80's, 90's. 2000's, 2010's), TSUN 3 (90's, 2000's, 2010's)
# of times ranked higher than the other - MSU 9, TSUN 6

For the fun of it
Top 15 rankings since 1999 - MSU 3, TSUN 2, illustrating further that we have had a bit more recent success.

Just how brainwashed and deluded do these fools have to be to truly believe they are still a better football program? They literally have nothing to hang their hat on other than that one, isolated period in time, under one coach, all of which ended over 40 years ago.

What a sad, pathetic existence to have to live so very far in the past in a failed attempt to stroke their own egos!

Bothrops
04-14-2015, 06:29 PM
How about #1 ranking? I know it wasn't a preseason ranking but it's an important tidbit to throw in.

blacklistedbully
04-14-2015, 06:38 PM
How about #1 ranking? I know it wasn't a preseason ranking but it's an important tidbit to throw in.

Only included final rankings.

BossDawg
04-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Don't forget about the division title. They have never even clinched the West and played for a conference championship.

Saltydog
04-14-2015, 07:34 PM
in the AP Poll this past year than they have spent as no. 1 in the AP poll in their entire history. They will argue this one with you til you are blue in the face but it's true........

Maroonthirteen
04-14-2015, 07:55 PM
After that SDS "article" the other day, I looked up the series since the 70s. They hold a slight edge because of the 80s. We sucked. The bs PI call and the wind. The 90s...we won 6 of 10 but could have easily been 7 of 10 if we make one more play in 97. But since returning to campus, we hold a 13-9 advantage.

Homedawg
04-14-2015, 08:16 PM
After that SDS "article" the other day, I looked up the series since the 70s. They hold a slight edge because of the 80s. We sucked. The bs PI call and the wind. The 90s...we won 6 of 10 but could have easily been 7 of 10 if we make one more play in 97. But since returning to campus, we hold a 13-9 advantage.

It's 13-11 but yea we lead

RougeDawg
04-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Another thing those delusional bastards fail to understand is Vaught was one of the main reasons the NCAA had to create all of the Current scholarship and recruiting rules and regulations. He and Bear Bryant abused the scholarship regulations of the time period. They were allowed to give out an unlimited # of scholarships and for any amount They would go recruit all of the best players sometimes keeping 8-10 of each position, to prevent other programs from having them, even though they never would play at OM. The schools with the most money simply bought all of the best players to keep the other schools from getting any. It was not uncommon for those teams to have 125-150 players on scholarship.

These actions forced the NCAA rule changes in 1973. This just so happens to coincide with when we surpassed them. Goes to show that the only way they can beat us is by cheating, which is the aspect of football they do best.

Mutt the Hoople
04-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Since 1987, the series is tied 14-14. Since Jackie Sherrill came to campus, we lead the series. Since Dan Mullen's arrival, we dominate them like the little bitches they are.

Todd4State
04-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Another thing those delusional bastards fail to understand is Vaught was one of the main reasons the NCAA had to create all of the Current scholarship and recruiting rules and regulations. He and Bear Bryant abused the scholarship regulations of the time period. They were allowed to give out an unlimited # of scholarships and for any amount They would go recruit all of the best players sometimes keeping 8-10 of each position, to prevent other programs from having them, even though they never would play at OM. The schools with the most money simply bought all of the best players to keep the other schools from getting any. It was not uncommon for those teams to have 125-150 players on scholarship.

These actions forced the NCAA rule changes in 1973. This just so happens to coincide with when we surpassed them. Goes to show that the only way they can beat us is by cheating, which is the aspect of football they do best.

I think Alabama benefitted from hoarding players more than Ole Miss ever did.

That said, I think Ole Miss benefitted more from segregation than any other school in the SEC did. Their era of greatness ended with Archie graduating in 1970. Alabama had their now famous game with USC around that time which spurned segregation in the SEC.

Ole Miss also benefitted from MSU being splintered into factions in the 50's and 60's per my Grandfather- Ag grads vs. engineers. According to my Grandfather the Ag grads would want one guy as a coach and the engineers would want someone else- but they wouldn't support each other's choices and would sabotage each other's favorite coach. (Sound familiar?) That didn't change until Bob Tyler became the coach- and when he did we had our first taste of sustained success since the 40's at that time.

Tyler knew how both Vaught and the Bear recruited and he started to take players from Ole Miss that they used to get. That along with integration leveled the playing field for us. Plus Ole Miss made some bad hires for head football coach in the 70's.

RougeDawg
04-15-2015, 07:37 AM
I think Alabama benefitted from hoarding players more than Ole Miss ever did.

That said, I think Ole Miss benefitted more from segregation than any other school in the SEC did. Their era of greatness ended with Archie graduating in 1970. Alabama had their now famous game with USC around that time which spurned segregation in the SEC.

Ole Miss also benefitted from MSU being splintered into factions in the 50's and 60's per my Grandfather- Ag grads vs. engineers. According to my Grandfather the Ag grads would want one guy as a coach and the engineers would want someone else- but they wouldn't support each other's choices and would sabotage each other's favorite coach. (Sound familiar?) That didn't change until Bob Tyler became the coach- and when he did we had our first taste of sustained success since the 40's at that time.

Tyler knew how both Vaught and the Bear recruited and he started to take players from Ole Miss that they used to get. That along with integration leveled the playing field for us. Plus Ole Miss made some bad hires for head football coach in the 70's.

No doubt Bama benefitted more. Their trophy case tells all. It was just the way OM hoarded Mississippi players that negatively impacted us. there was a special on the NCAA a few years back where they specifically said Vaught and Bryant were the two main reasons the NCAA had to revise the scholarship and recruiting regulations.

Looks like our fan base enjoying taking down our own coaches is a tradition.**

Realist
04-15-2015, 07:54 AM
The facts show two similar programs.

What it really tells me is that for 40-50 years both programs have been part of the little dick club. We point and laugh at each other to make each feel better at the expense of the other but neither is consistently relevant on the big stage.

The fact that you think we've owned them in baseball is just living in the past in baseball just as they do in football.

BeardoMSU
04-15-2015, 08:00 AM

What it really tells me is that for 40-50 years both programs have been part of the little dick club. We point and laugh at each other to make each feel better at the expense of the other but neither is consistently relevant on the big stage.

The fact that you think we've owned them in baseball is just living in the past in baseball just as they do in football.

Nice 2nd post**

Coach34
04-15-2015, 08:50 AM

A) that's our point. Yet Ole Missus people think they have a superior program
B) you need to count CWS appearances the last 30-40 years again and also check who played for the NC. The programs are about equal now- but they haven't not been over the last 40 years- not by a longshot

blacklistedbully
04-15-2015, 08:51 AM

The fact that you don't know how much we've owned them in baseball with, as I said, brief exceptions, shows just how clueless you are. We were certainly down for a bit, but I guess you've forgotten we got to the CWS final 2 years ago. Aside from a brief hiatus, we have been a baseball elite for decades. TSUN has not.

Our track record in basketball, aside from the past 3 years, has been far superior to TSUN, and with Howland & staff on board, I have little doubt we will take our place again as one of the SEC's consistently better programs.

Finally, I said we have, "somewhat surpassed" them in football, and provided stats that backed this up. Not sure where you have a problem, but if your thing is to bend-over-backwards to claim TSUN is no different than us, you'd be far better off spending your time on SPS.