PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn-Aggies read

BulldogBear
04-14-2015, 02:34 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2430253-are-texas-longhorns-too-scared-to-renew-rivalry-play-the-texas-am-aggies#articles/2430253-are-texas-longhorns-too-scared-to-renew-rivalry-play-the-texas-am-aggies

Personally, I'm enough of a college football fanatic and historian that I want to see as many old rivalries played as much as possible. And this one will happen again eventually, but will it be an elongated series, an occasional series, or fall somewhere in between? Should they renew, would it be played at the end of the season? Many other SEC schools have a rival like that so it would fit right in. But, what if the LSU/A&M rivalry has become very interesting by then. LSU picks Arky back up as the "rival?" But then what about Mizzou. Of course, while LSU and Arkansas have played many times even prior to SEC play, that "rivalry" always felt contrived if trying to make it an archnemesis Egg Bowl/Iron Bowl type of contest.

Maroonthirteen
04-14-2015, 02:52 PM
The tradition of the rivals is one piece of college football which makes it better than the NFL. When games like this cease in the interest of money and TV, that is wrong. So, yes, they should play. You would think with the push for the big5 to play more intersectional games, it would be a no brainer.

It is a shame for aTm too. For years I watched this rivalry. Texas always seemed to have more talent. ATM has seemingly caught up to them in that department. I can't imagine how good that game could have been with JF playing.

Jack Lambert
04-14-2015, 02:53 PM
I think it will only be in a bowl game for a while. I think A&M got tired of Texas BS and this is their pay back. They don't need Texas anymore.

Rayburn8
04-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Texas-A&M Mizzou-Kansas Pitt-WVU Syracuse-Georgetown(Basketball) are all rivalries I want back that were awesome to watch.

Thompson92
04-14-2015, 09:53 PM
I grew up in that area, and that rivalry was a lot of fun to watch. Some great games in every sport, even just before it ended.

The amount of ego/contention in the MS IHL has nothing on Texas. They could do a yearly game like the FL/GA/SC schools, but the higher-ups won't let it happen. At least, that's what I understand. Plus, a lot of Ags feel like they're leaving UT behind, and restarting the rivalry would just be conceding to UT. They would rather be LSU's main rival.

archdog
04-15-2015, 11:02 AM
I grew up in that area, and that rivalry was a lot of fun to watch. Some great games in every sport, even just before it ended.

The amount of ego/contention in the MS IHL has nothing on Texas. They could do a yearly game like the FL/GA/SC schools, but the higher-ups won't let it happen. At least, that's what I understand. Plus, a lot of Ags feel like they're leaving UT behind, and restarting the rivalry would just be conceding to UT. They would rather be LSU's main rival.

I agree. Why should they lower themselves to play Texas. It's like how we have to play Mississippi every year. We have passed Mississippi up and by playing them gives them a shot at getting some of the momentum back. aTm shouldn't play Texas until Texas has something to offer.

edited for grammer

BulldogBear
04-15-2015, 11:45 AM
I agree. Why should they lower themselves to play Texas. It's like how we have to play Mississippi every year. We have passed Mississippi up and by playing them gives them a shot at getting some of the momentum back. aTm shouldn't play Texas until Texas has something to offer.

edited for grammer

Still, I think it will get renewed at some point. The question is does it truly return or just a couple of games like Arkansas-Texas (another classic rivalry). LSU-TAMU may stay at the end of the season, but UT-TAMU could play opening weekend perhaps...or maybe some set time like first Saturday in November or something. Same thing with KU-Mizzou if that ever comes back.