PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ray gets another head job before Stands

Coach34
04-13-2015, 07:47 PM
New head coach at SE Missouri State

Best of luck RR

msstate7
04-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Tookie will get a call I'm sure. Wonder if any of our guys will transfer there once we start making room

MaxedOutMaroon
04-13-2015, 07:53 PM
I just can't imagine anyone who would, but far shot possibilities include: IJ, Ndoye, or Dunlap. Couldn't imagine anyone else going.

Good placement I think

maroonmania
04-13-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm glad for him. You do have to wonder how the typical SE MO State fan feels seeing a coach coming in with that W-L record though.

messageboardsuperhero
04-13-2015, 07:56 PM
I just can't imagine anyone who would, but far shot possibilities include: IJ, Ndoye, or Dunlap. Couldn't imagine anyone else going.

Good placement I think

Losing Ndoye or Dunlap would be fine. Ready would sting pretty bad though.

Coach34
04-13-2015, 07:57 PM
I'd love to see Tookie, Endo, Strugg, and Dunlap end up there

MaxedOutMaroon
04-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Losing Ndoye or Dunlap would be fine. Ready would sting pretty bad though.

I only think he would if Malik came

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Ready isn't going anywhere. I'm not sure why people keep bringing that up.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2015, 07:59 PM

Good luck with that.

confucius say
04-13-2015, 08:01 PM
To be fair, Stans could have that job pretty easily if he went after it, don't you think?

Coach34
04-13-2015, 08:05 PM
To be fair, Stans could have that job pretty easily if he went after it, don't you think?

No I dont. 4 hiring cycles and no head job. For example- Bama. Bama hires a guy that hasn't coached college basketball for one day rather make him HC- but they want him there to recruit. AD's and the like view him as an Asst- not a head guy

Todd4State
04-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Laimbeer gonna Laimbeer.

quickstrike2
04-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Good for Ray. I personally think Stan's could get a low job somewhere similar but would rather be an assistant, do what he does best recruit, and wait on something he prefers. Now Stans may never get a job that he thinks he deserves, he hasnt yet. If Ray wants to be a head coach, he will have to prove it somewhere like SEMO, which he should of had to in the first place.

Ralph
04-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Bet Malik ends up at SE Missouri State*

Liverpooldawg
04-13-2015, 08:27 PM
You just can't let go can you Coach?

Treemydawg
04-13-2015, 08:30 PM

Best of luck RR
They must have team discipline issues at SE Missouri state.

JohnnyQuid
04-13-2015, 08:41 PM
Pretty sure stans would rather associate head coach at a SEC school like a&m than head coach at some scraps of SW bumfuct egypt. just saying

missouridawg
04-13-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm glad for him. You do have to wonder how the typical SE MO State fan feels seeing a coach coming in with that W-L record though.

SEMO doesnt have any fans. All Ray has to do is figure out how to beat Murray a State consistently and he will get a better job eventually.

tcdog70
04-13-2015, 09:01 PM
If they just play defense the offense will fix itself..

pilldawg
04-13-2015, 09:45 PM

Best of luck RR

Associate Head Coach at Texas A&M > Head Coach of SE Missouri State

JohnnyQuid
04-13-2015, 09:48 PM

without question

smootness
04-13-2015, 10:10 PM
Ray deserved another shot somewhere, and I'm glad he go it.

And I don't really care, but a head job at a decent mid major is better than an assistant job at a decent major conference school. It just is.

bluelightstar
04-13-2015, 10:56 PM

And I don't really care, but a head job at a decent mid major is better than an assistant job at a decent major conference school. It just is.

Considering VA Tech's assistant coach turned it down, maybe not.

JohnnyQuid
04-13-2015, 11:09 PM

put the shit down. a decent mid major? really? ......... lets live in reality.

ETA: SE MO of BFE was good in womens bball a few years ago with a great white girl guard. Is that what makes it a good mid major job for mens bball? lols. get real

Dawg61
04-13-2015, 11:21 PM
put the shit down. a decent mid major? really? ......... lets live in reality.

ETA: SE MO of BFE was good in womens bball a few years ago with a great white girl guard. Is that what makes it a good mid major job for mens bball? lols. get real

bro clean it up. Keep that term off this board.

JohnnyQuid
04-13-2015, 11:35 PM
"my nig." bro clean it up. Keep that term off this board.

do you know my ethnicity , bro?

Coach34
04-13-2015, 11:37 PM
do you know my ethnicity , bro?

It doesnt matter if your green- somebody will try to twist it into way more than it should be

JohnnyQuid
04-13-2015, 11:40 PM
It doesnt matter if your green- somebody will try to twist it into way more than it should be

whatever. fact remains sw ms bum**** is a job for someone whos never had a head coaching gig in their life. and stans would never take that job ever if it they begged him. true

Coach34
04-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Well, the problem is Stands is not going to get a big job- so he is going to have to take one of those jobs if he ever wants to be a HC again- so is it really better? Kinda like is it better to be the DC at State or the HC at New Mexico State?

Dawg61
04-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Well, the problem is Stands is not going to get a big job- so he is going to have to take one of those jobs if he ever wants to be a HC again- so is it really better? Kinda like is it better to be the DC at State or the HC at New Mexico State?

Stans needs to suck it up and take a mid-major job. He isn't getting younger and his "name" tumbles more and more into oblivion each hiring cycle that passes.

JohnnyQuid
04-13-2015, 11:57 PM
Stans needs to suck it up and take a mid-major job. He isn't getting younger and his "name" tumbles more and more into oblivion each hiring cycle that passes.

SE BUMFUKT isnt a mid major. he makes way more as ass. head at a&m. which proly pisses coach off pretty bad. his relentless shit about stans wont ever get a big job.. stans got a bigger job than KJS ever got after he quit retired. this is cros sports but it works. so in C34 eyes KJS is shitty now. hell after we fired him he got no job at all. HE MUST BE TERIBAD

smootness
04-14-2015, 12:39 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean that SEMS is currently a decent program, but that it's set up to be able to have some success. The OVC is a pretty good conference, and teams like Murray State and Belmont have been able to have success.

I don't know who has turned it down, but one of Michigan State's assistants is a finalist.

Ultimately, it's about what other jobs you can get. Being a head coach is better than being an assistant, and if you can't get a better head job, then HC at SEMS is better than an assistant at A&M.

Put it this way - if a school like that came calling for Zeigler, could we keep him here if he had no other head coaching options? No.

It_Could_Happen
04-14-2015, 01:05 AM
SE BUMFUKT isnt a mid major. he makes way more as ass. head at a&m. which proly pisses coach off pretty bad. his relentless shit about stans wont ever get a big job.. stans got a bigger job than KJS ever got after he quit retired. this is cros sports but it works. so in C34 eyes KJS is shitty now. hell after we fired him he got no job at all. HE MUST BE TERIBAD

Somebody get this guy off of here I can't understand a word he just typed

It_Could_Happen
04-14-2015, 01:07 AM

I'm in college and I've never heard the terms "BUMFUKT" "Cros" or "Teribad"

basedog
04-14-2015, 07:08 AM
I saw where Ray gets around $125K per year maybe a little more?

I seen it dawg
04-14-2015, 07:20 AM

There's a hangover happening today

msstate7
04-14-2015, 07:31 AM
I saw where Ray gets around $125K per year maybe a little more?

I think he'll get by just fine if he saved some of the money we've paid him

missouridawg
04-14-2015, 07:32 AM

I find it rich that you're referring to Missouri and BUMFUKT when you're on a message board for a school in Mississippi. GTFO.

And someone said SEMO was a decent mid-major. They are not. They are terrible. Hopefully Rick Ray can get something going there. The OVC isn't that strong and shouldn't be too tough a mountain to climb if he can find a little bit of talent.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 07:34 AM
I find it rich that you're referring to Missouri and BUMFUKT when you're on a message board for a school in Mississippi. GTFO.

And someone said SEMO was a decent mid-major. They are not. They are terrible. Hopefully Rick Ray can get something going there. The OVC isn't that strong and shouldn't be too tough a mountain to climb if he can find a little bit of talent.

If Ray can convince tookie to follow him, ray could do well there. Might even get a transfer from us

bluelightstar
04-14-2015, 08:04 AM

I'd rather be DC at State. New Mexico State is where coaching careers go to die -- you've got a better job waiting as an SEC assistant for something better.

Goat from MSU
04-14-2015, 08:06 AM
Tookie can do better . No one from here will not transfer up there ,the place is a hell hole of a school. Plus alot of our players did not like Ray anyway.
If Ray can convince tookie to follow him, ray could do well there. Might even get a transfer from us

Goat from MSU
04-14-2015, 08:10 AM
How do we know that Stansbury wants a another head coaching job. Your buddy Williams never got a another head coaching job except for the ABA. So who cares except you.

thunderclap
04-14-2015, 08:25 AM
They must have team discipline issues at SE Missouri state.

+1

Coach007
04-14-2015, 08:25 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean that SEMS is currently a decent program, but that it's set up to be able to have some success. The OVC is a pretty good conference, and teams like Murray State and Belmont have been able to have success.

I don't know who has turned it down, but one of Michigan State's assistants is a finalist.

Ultimately, it's about what other jobs you can get. Being a head coach is better than being an assistant, and if you can't get a better head job, then HC at SEMS is better than an assistant at A&M.

Put it this way - if a school like that came calling for Zeigler, could we keep him here if he had no other head coaching options? No.

100% wrong. Being a head coach is not, by default, better than an assistance head coach. Not in prestiege, not in money, not in life. If that was the case, money would never be a factor in hiring. It is. If that's the case, then all assistant coaches would be tripping over themselves to take any head coaching job no matter where it is. Money is always an issue. You take somebody who is set up to pay bills that equal 45% of their income, then money will be a factor. If your bills equal 1 million per year, then you don't take a job that pays less than.

Yes, we could retain Zeigler and would in this case.

Second, you don't know the situation of Stansbury. He may have taken the position to be able to take over there. Maybe he took the position to get better stay in the game, to learn Texas, and wait for a job he wants.

MaxedOutMaroon
04-14-2015, 08:36 AM
http://www.semissourian.com/story/2184933.html Interesting: I watched Ray's press conference at SEMS , and their athletic director said in his opening statements that he talked to Stricklin, who gave high words on Rick Ray and that's part of the reason why he hired him. Maybe that's normal, but I was caught off guard

missouridawg
04-14-2015, 08:40 AM
Tookie can do better . No one from here will not transfer up there ,the place is a hell hole of a school. Plus alot of our players did not like Ray anyway.

You know jack ****ing shit about that school and town. Cape Girardeau is a lovely town. Much better than Kosciousko or Starkville. They just suck at sports at SEMO. The party scene is just fine though.

Coach34
04-14-2015, 08:43 AM
How do we know that Stansbury wants a another head coaching job. Your buddy Williams never got a another head coaching job except for the ABA. So who cares except you.

because he is begging and calling in every favor he can to try and get one. He did it for Auburn and Bama. He had Joe Dean do everything he could for him at Auburn and Gottfried for him at Bama.

Goat from MSU
04-14-2015, 08:49 AM
Sorry ,The high school my daughter goes too just took some of them up there to visit .The school is a overgrown JC. The town is nice though.Bet you would not send your kid there.
You know jack ****ing shit about that school and town. Cape Girardeau is a lovely town. Much better than Kosciousko or Starkville. They just suck at sports at SEMO. The party scene is just fine though.

maroonmania
04-14-2015, 08:50 AM
and Gottfried for him at Bama.

Well there is one of his problems. Probably not the best of ideas to have a head coach previously fired at a school put in a good word for you to get the same job.

Goat from MSU
04-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Sure we all believe you ,hope your sources is not your head in the ass friend.
because he is begging and calling in every favor he can to try and get one. He did it for Auburn and Bama. He had Joe Dean do everything he could for him at Auburn and Gottfried for him at Bama.

maroonmania
04-14-2015, 08:51 AM
http://www.semissourian.com/story/2184933.html Interesting: I watched Ray's press conference at SEMS , and their athletic director said in his opening statements that he talked to Stricklin, who gave high words on Rick Ray and that's part of the reason why he hired him. Maybe that's normal, but I was caught off guard

Not sure why this would be surprising. If Stricklin could operate in a vacuum I'm pretty confident Rick Ray would still be head coach at MSU.

Coach34
04-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Ask Shannondawg or Dawggeezer- they both know I'm right

Goat from MSU
04-14-2015, 08:58 AM
I don't see them coming on here and backing you up. Shannon , Dawg where are you?? Sure just what I thought. You need to stick to football and baseball.
Ask Shannondawg or Dawggeezer- they both know I'm right

Coach34
04-14-2015, 09:05 AM
lol- they are old. Let them get their diapers changed. They will be around.

Maroons
04-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Not sure why this would be surprising. If Stricklin could operate in a vacuum I'm pretty confident Rick Ray would still be head coach at MSU.

You're completely wrong.

drunkernhelldawg
04-14-2015, 09:28 AM

Don't get this constant ragging on Stans. It's ridiculous to denigrate Stans for not getting jobs that he's not even interested in. Regardless, he's still the best head coach we've ever had in basketball. He just is.

notoriousdog
04-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Well, the problem is Stands is not going to get a big job- so he is going to have to take one of those jobs if he ever wants to be a HC again

He could have had the Northern Kentucky job if he wanted it. If he REALLy wants to be be a head coach, there won't be a shortage of mid-major opportunities. He just isn't getting any bites for high-majors and probably won't unless he goes and does well at a mid-major.

shannondawg
04-14-2015, 09:51 AM
All I know he was up for the job at Auburn until they decided to recontact the one they hired. Bama I don't know and don't give a shit about those assholes..

Apples to apples, I bet Stans is being paid more as an assoc head coach than Ray as a head coach.

Geezer is on a cruise in the pacific getting his batteries charged back up.

ScottH
04-14-2015, 09:57 AM

Apples to apples, I bet Stans is being paid more as an assoc head coach than Ray as a head coach.

Close to triple.

dawgs
04-14-2015, 10:01 AM
No I dont. 4 hiring cycles and no head job. For example- Bama. Bama hires a guy that hasn't coached college basketball for one day rather make him HC- but they want him there to recruit. AD's and the like view him as an Asst- not a head guy

Oh come on, I'm far from a stans defender, but it's obviously he hasn't pursued or shown any interest in coaching this level of basketball. Alabama hired a former NBA head coach, don't downplay it like they hired a nobody.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-14-2015, 10:02 AM
All I know he was up for the job at Auburn until they decided to recontact the one they hired. Bama I don't know and don't give a shit about those assholes..

Geezer is on a cruise in the pacific getting his batteries charged back up.

You're a long time MSU supporter & for that I give you the utmost respect. I do have a question that I think I already know the answer to. With the Ben Howland hire is it safe to say that everybody is back on board with MSU Hoops that need to be on board?

Political Hack
04-14-2015, 10:10 AM

And it ain't even close...

Political Hack
04-14-2015, 10:21 AM
You're a long time MSU supporter & for that I give you the utmost respect. I do have a question that I think I already know the answer to. With the Ben Howland hire is it safe to say that everybody is back on board with MSU Hoops that need to be on board?

Not to put words in SD's mouth, but yes.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Not to put words in SD's mouth, but yes.

Yea I've heard that from some major guys everybody was back pulling in the same direction but wanted to get SD opinion.

Coach34
04-14-2015, 10:29 AM
I'm just yanking ya'lls chain some on the RR hire

Stands is in a tough position though and it sux for him. He has been breaking his neck trying to get a big job and just can't- and he refuses to take a lower mid-major job like Brady did. He will either stick it out the rest of his career as an addy like David Hobbs did after Bama fired him- or he will eventually see the writing on the wall and take a lower level job

dawgs
04-14-2015, 10:30 AM
I do wish ray the best. This is the kinda HC job he should have had all along to fine tune his style and get his feet wet, then if he had some good success, he would have become a target for a power conference job.

confucius say
04-14-2015, 10:45 AM
I do wish ray the best. This is the kinda HC job he should have had all along to fine tune his style and get his feet wet, then if he had some good success, he would have become a target for a power conference job.

Yep, he dated the girl who is a 7-8 before the girl who is a 4. Fine for a baller, but too advanced for a beginner.

notsofarawaydawg
04-14-2015, 10:50 AM

Now that's talking some shit saying Coach is relentless after all the shit I read on here about Ray the past 3 years. Pot calling kettle BLACK.

Oh yeah, DAWG61, you are one to be saying anything about a color reference someone else posts on this board. You only see one color as good and the other as bad. SMH

smootness
04-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Don't get this constant ragging on Stans. It's ridiculous to denigrate Stans for not getting jobs that he's not even interested in. Regardless, he's still the best head coach we've ever had in basketball. He just is.

What?! Where did I denigrate Stans?

smootness
04-14-2015, 11:24 AM
The associate head coach at Kansas took the head job at Florida Gulf Coast a couple years ago. Again, if you can wait and get a better head job, then being an assistant at A&M is better than making the move to SEMS. But if you can't, then the head job is better.

But it's always about what head job you can get, at least for anyone trying to advance in their career.

drunkernhelldawg
04-14-2015, 11:31 AM
What?! Where did I denigrate Stans?

Maybe I took it wrongly, but you said that the head coach of a mid major is superior to an assistant at a major conference. Maybe you weren't placing Ray over Stans there. Also, my post addresses the whole thread, not just your post. Some are creating this mythology that Stans is desperate for a HC position. I personally see Stans as the one sitting pretty is this mess we've made of our basketball program. I'm sure that many disagree with me on that. That's fine too.

RougeDawg
04-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Assistant at A&M is light years ahead of Head coach at directional Missouri . End of story.

dawgs
04-14-2015, 11:46 AM
The associate head coach at Kansas took the head job at Florida Gulf Coast a couple years ago. Again, if you can wait and get a better head job, then being an assistant at A&M is better than making the move to SEMS. But if you can't, then the head job is better.

But it's always about what head job you can get, at least for anyone trying to advance in their career.

Meh, I do think having extensive experience as a HC in a power conference is a huge factor. A guy with no HC experience is more likely to wanna get any HC experience on his resume, whereas a guy that had at least a moderately successful stint as a HC with a power conference program doesn't necessarily need that resume booster. Stans can make more money being an associate HC, recruit, and might land a low level power program gig in a few years. I could see him at tcu in a few years if he continues to work the Texas recruiting trail for a&m.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Assistant at A&M is light years ahead of Head coach at directional Missouri . End of story.

What about an assistant job at Michigan state and VT?...

The Redhawks hired Ray after other finalists, Michigan State associate head coach Dwayne Stephens and Virginia Tech assistant coach Isaac Chew, reportedly dropped out of the running for the job.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/13/report-southeast-missouri-state-hires-former-mississippi-state-coach-rick-ray/

Virginia Tech assistant Isaac Chew and Michigan State assistant Dwayne Stephens were also finalists for the job.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/2184933.html

I take the dropping out as knowing they weren't gonna be hired

SouthMsDawg
04-14-2015, 11:53 AM

You and me both Coach. Especially ENDO hes Dead Weight in my book.

shannondawg
04-14-2015, 01:06 PM

I couldn't imagine anyone being against it.

bluelightstar
04-14-2015, 01:36 PM
What about an assistant job at Michigan state and VT?...

The Redhawks hired Ray after other finalists, Michigan State associate head coach Dwayne Stephens and Virginia Tech assistant coach Isaac Chew, reportedly dropped out of the running for the job.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/13/report-southeast-missouri-state-hires-former-mississippi-state-coach-rick-ray/

Virginia Tech assistant Isaac Chew and Michigan State assistant Dwayne Stephens were also finalists for the job.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/2184933.html

I take the dropping out as knowing they weren't gonna be hired

Wrong -- SEMO beat writers acknowledge that Chew was offered and turned down the job to remain at VT.

smootness
04-14-2015, 01:47 PM
How often do assistants at decent major programs get decent head coaching jobs? Rarely ever.

How often do successful mid-major coaches get them?

I don't really see how someone can argue that being an assistant at a place like VT or Texas A&M is better, career-wise, than being a head coach just about anywhere. Again, unless you're simply happy finishing your career as an assistant or can potentially get a better job by waiting another year or two.

shannondawg
04-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Why is it so wrong for someone to go after a job paying 2 mil?

confucius say
04-14-2015, 01:53 PM
How often do assistants at decent major programs get decent head coaching jobs? Rarely ever.

I don't really see how someone can argue that being an assistant at a place like VT or Texas A&M is better, career-wise, than being a head coach just about anywhere. Again, unless you're simply happy finishing your career as an assistant or can potentially get a better job by waiting another year or two.

Two sides to that coin. Would you take a 75% paycut to go to a job where no one has been successful? I wouldn't. I would wait on a better job or just stay where I am.

BiscuitEater

Best of luck RR

1. Hope RRay succeeds at this gig .. glad he got another HC job

2. Taking another jab at Stans .. it must be killing you 'when' he just got promoted to associated HC. Probably has in excess of $5M in the bank .. doing what he does best .. recruiting. Just landed the #4 Class at A&M .. something A&M had NEVER done before he landed there.

bluelightstar

I disagree. You're better off at A&M waiting on an offer from a better program than an SEMO.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Wrong -- SEMO beat writers acknowledge that Chew was offered and turned down the job to remain at VT.

Was Stephens offered too?

Dawg61
04-14-2015, 02:32 PM
Oh yeah, DAWG61, you are one to be saying anything about a color reference someone else posts on this board. You only see one color as good and the other as bad. SMH

What in the actual **** are you talking about? Link or shut the **** up clown.

engie
04-14-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm convinced 34 was spurned by Meo somewhere along the way or something. There is something personal there against Stansbury that he's never publicly coped to. It goes alot deeper than he admits that it does.

The whole fanbase is ready to move on/has moved on -- yet Coach is still trying his damnedest to keep the old wounds open. No one gives a shit about who was right or wrong anymore. Essentially with the Ray hire one side was right and with the Howland hire the other side was right. At this point, everyone that argued on either side can now successfully argue that they were right. Along with the momentum the program is building right now -- it's a damn perfect time to just call a truce and ceasefire and move on. Even though I know deep down that it won't happen -- and it sure as hell doesn't look like it's going to be the Stansbury grey-hairs' fault either...

smootness
04-14-2015, 02:46 PM
I disagree. You're better off at A&M waiting on an offer from a better program than an SEMO.

Sigh, I don't know how many times I have to say it. It depends on if you can get a better job by waiting.

Personally, I would guess most assistants at a place like A&M can't get a better job than SEMS.

confucius say
04-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Sigh, I don't know how many times I have to say it. It depends on if you can get a better job by waiting.

Personally, I would guess most assistants at a place like A&M can't get a better job than SEMS.

I hear ya, but the point is if you don't know if you can get a better job, it is better to wait and stay where you are than take the se mo st crappy job. Which is to say, even I'd nothing better comes along, you are better at a@m than se mo st. Three times the money, better lifestyle, planes over buses, etc.

Rayburn8
04-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Why is this still a thing? We are almost a half decade from the Rick Ray hire. Can we please let the whole Ray-Stand shit go and move on to the promising future Malik Newman and Ben Howland.

Goat from MSU
04-14-2015, 03:08 PM
You are spot on. 34 has a MAJOR problem and needs help really. But I always love it when his head in the ass friend who works on campus always stated Ray would get 4 years as a head coach,well he was right but one year will be at SEMO not here.
I'm convinced 34 was spurned by Meo somewhere along the way or something. There is something personal there against Stansbury that he's never publicly coped to. It goes alot deeper than he admits that it does.

The whole fanbase is ready to move on/has moved on -- yet Coach is still trying his damnedest to keep the old wounds open. No one gives a shit about who was right or wrong anymore. Essentially with the Ray hire one side was right and with the Howland hire the other side was right. At this point, everyone that argued on either side can now successfully argue that they were right. Along with the momentum the program is building right now -- it's a damn perfect time to just call a truce and ceasefire and move on. Even though I know deep down that it won't happen -- and it sure as hell doesn't look like it's going to be the Stansbury grey-hairs' fault either...

Bubb Rubb
04-14-2015, 03:16 PM

This is incorrect. SEMO is a good job. And a head gig is better than an assistant gig if they are both division I offers.

quickstrike2
04-14-2015, 03:23 PM

I would have to agree. It is way past time to move on. Coach does bring up Stans at the drop of the hat, and will create something if he has, and I can't understand that this far out. Besides that, he is usually spot on.

Coach34
04-14-2015, 03:28 PM

I really dont know what Meo Stansbury looks like and have never spoken one word to her. I have no idea when she went to State- just a couple of quick shots on TV here and there
Ive talked to Stands very briefly. I'm not jealous of any coaches. I had my chance at college coaching and passed on it. That's not where I wanted to go.

I have always been amazed at the way people take up for him. He can never do any wrong with some people- even when he does wrong. It's mind-baffling.
I've also been amazed at the way I can get under people's skin on the internet. I can literally post something on Sixpack and now Elite- and it will send some people into a rage and others into laughing frenzy. It's literally created a personna that I never expected back in 2003 when I was emailing with Thunderclap, Chewgumm, and few others when one of them heard about SPS.

We are at 90 replies. Topics that go 4 pages or more will always be brought up

Coach34
04-14-2015, 03:29 PM
This is incorrect. SEMO is a good job. And a head gig is better than an assistant gig if they are both division I offers.

exactly

Being THE guy is better than being the guy being told what to do by THE guy

Coach007
04-14-2015, 04:40 PM
I really dont know what Meo Stansbury looks like and have never spoken one word to her. I have no idea when she went to State- just a couple of quick shots on TV here and there
Ive talked to Stands very briefly. I'm not jealous of any coaches. I had my chance at college coaching and passed on it. That's not where I wanted to go.

I have always been amazed at the way people take up for him. He can never do any wrong with some people- even when he does wrong. It's mind-baffling.
I've also been amazed at the way I can get under people's skin on the internet. I can literally post something on Sixpack and now Elite- and it will send some people into a rage and others into laughing frenzy. It's literally created a personna that I never expected back in 2003 when I was emailing with Thunderclap, Chewgumm, and few others when one of them heard about SPS.

We are at 90 replies. Topics that go 4 pages or more will always be brought up

So you were a failure. Just using your logic.

Coach34
04-14-2015, 04:42 PM
So you were a failure. Just using your logic.

How so?

Coach007
04-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Per your logic. You are trying your best to suggest that Stansbury is less of a man/coach because he's not a head coach somewhere. Fact is you don't really know the reason, you just have a fettish with him. Maybe he was the one that got your shot at a college job...

so we should apply the standard you set for him to your accomplishments or lack there of. So you never have coached at the college level.

Coach34
04-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Here's where you are flawed:

1. Stands is pursuing a head job extremely hard

2. I turned down a college job

basedog
04-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Yea I've heard that from some major guys everybody was back pulling in the same direction but wanted to get SD opinion.

Being a friend of shannondawg I can tell y'all he's happy with Howland! Fact is he is a great Msu supporter!

Tough Dawg
04-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Rick will be the head coach at TX A&M. He will wait. I mentioned this in another Stansbury/C34 thread which are weirdly common these days. We need more Howland threads since....well you know....he's our coach now. Stans was 2 coaches ago.

P.S. I was on board with the Ray hire when it happened and supported Ray unlike the Stans supporters.

confucius say
04-14-2015, 08:32 PM
exactly

Being THE guy is better than being the guy being told what to do by THE guy

This is simply not true. At least, not always. Context matters. All things being equal, yes head gig is better. But if I told you, for instance, to choose bt a head job where you will not win, make 1/3 the money, in a crappy place, where you will be canned in 2-3 years, I hope you would not choose that over an associate head job with more $, all the perks, and job stability.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 08:39 PM
This is simply not true. At least, not always. Context matters. All things being equal, yes head gig is better. But if I told you, for instance, to choose bt a head job where you will not win, make 1/3 the money, in a crappy place, where you will be canned in 2-3 years, I hope you would not choose that over an associate head job with more $, all the perks, and job stability.

Kennedy has been at aTm 4 years with no ncaa tourneys. I wouldn't say he has a ton of job stability

Coach34
04-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Kennedy has been at aTm 4 years with no ncaa tourneys. I wouldn't say he has a ton of job stability

True- but he did just get a contract extension last Fall and brought in a great class. They will be very good this year and most likely in the NCAA Tourney.

Coach34
04-14-2015, 08:47 PM

exactly- there is absolutely no guarantee Stands will get the head job if they get rid of Kennedy. They may have their eyes on a bigger "name" to make a splash as well and dangling that carrot to keep Stands motivated. Alot of schools do that to their "recruiters"

smootness
04-14-2015, 08:55 PM

But who is saying you must lose and be fired?

Obviously, being a stable assistant making good money at a decent program is better than making less, not winning, and being fired. But it is not better than being a head coach at a decent program. And to get there, you generally have to take a head gig at a lesser program first.

That's why I said it depends on where your career goals are and what head job you can realistically get if you stay.

But most coaches who aspire to be the head man at a good program would rather have the head gig at a smaller school than an assistant job just about anywhere. Because they have confidence in themselves and believe they can win and be hired elsewhere.

confucius say
04-14-2015, 09:13 PM

Obviously, being a stable assistant making good money at a decent program is better than making less, not winning, and being fired. But it is not better than being a head coach at a decent program. And to get there, you generally have to take a head gig at a lesser program first.

That's why I said it depends on where your career goals are and what head job you can realistically get if you stay.

But most coaches who aspire to be the head man at a good program would rather have the head gig at a smaller school than an assistant job just about anywhere. Because they have confidence in themselves and believe they can win and be hired elsewhere.

I agree. That is why I said context matters. If you think you can win there, by all means go. I was simply refuting the notion that a head gig is always better. It is dangerous to think/speak in absolutes.

dawgs
04-15-2015, 08:56 AM

Thing is, Stans already has the HC on his resume, with moderate success at a power conference program. In his situation, I'm not sure having a good year or 2 with semo would make much difference. Now if we were talking a career assistant with no HC experience, then you have a point about taking a HC job to prove you can do it (though every year in every sport, there's still high level assistants that turn down lower level HC offers because it's not the right situation to maximize their chances of success, so it's not a black and white situation).