PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss the thread on Vic's extension and raise?

dickiedawg
04-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Coach Schaefer received an extension to the maximum 4 years, his salary to average ~660,000 per year (625 next season). This is up from $275,000. Based on 2014-2015 numbers this would rank him 6th in the conference.
This raise is well earned and hopefully we can keep Vic around for years to come. Future is bright.

What's interesting to me is this is very comparable to John Cohen's salary (most recent data I could find has him at $632,000). It just shows a big commitment by the administration to compete in all sports, which Has never really happened before.

Coach34
04-12-2015, 10:08 AM
625K to coach women's basketball???

Hooooooo-leeeeeeeee-shit. Anything above 90K is ridiculous

TheRef
04-12-2015, 10:13 AM
625K to coach women's basketball???

Hooooooo-leeeeeeeee-shit. Anything above 90K is ridiculous

I knew that someone would say something like this, but you? Really?

Coach34
04-12-2015, 10:21 AM
I knew that someone would say something like this, but you? Really?

Yes me. As a football/baseball guy I hate Title 9 with a passion. It's ****ing ridiculous that baseball gets hamstrung the way it does with the lack of scholarships.

TheRef
04-12-2015, 10:27 AM
Yes me. As a football/baseball guy I hate Title 9 with a passion. It's ****ing ridiculous that baseball gets hamstrung the way it does with the lack of scholarships.

Well boohoo for you. Women's basketball is an important sport and Vic Schaefer has put this program up where it deserves. He's a great coach and 625k is well deserved for him.

Bully13
04-12-2015, 10:36 AM

I have to agree with 34 on this. college baseball is much more important than ladies hoops. more baseball schollies means more kids going to college rather than straight to the minors where many end up worse off in life had they got more education. 625 is too much for a MSU ladies hoops coach. that # should be reduced by 300k at least and put in the hands of other men's assistants.

Drugdog
04-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Both of you are right. Baseball needs more schollys.

Drugdog
04-12-2015, 10:42 AM
I have to agree with 34 on this. college baseball is much more important than ladies hoops. more baseball schollies means more kids going to college rather than straight to the minors where many end up worse off in life had they got more education. 625 is too much for a MSU ladies hoops coach. that # should be reduced by 300k at least and put in the hands of other men's assistants.

I think NOW there is plenty money for all. I think it's great that we are not the dreggs of Women sports anymore.
Yes Baseball needs more schollys. 100% agree. And it's more important to us.
However, I don't believe his raise has anything to do with Men sports money.

engie
04-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Women's basketball is a revenue sport at msu as well now.

He gets what he's worth. Not like this is taking money out of baseball's pockets

Bully13
04-12-2015, 10:47 AM
title 9 sucks. including football #'s is what made it so damned unfair. and you are right, his raise doesn't really affect baseball schollies. but title 9 does. one of the things I would like to see though is for our assistants in the men's sports get paid what other programs do. especially football. I would like to see us be more competitive in that area.

Coach34
04-12-2015, 10:52 AM
I'd look at the travel costs and such before I got all excited about the "revenue" of women's basketball.

Homedawg
04-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Women's basketball is a revenue sport at msu as well now.

He gets what he's worth. Not like this is taking money out of baseball's pockets

No. It's not. But I have no issue w what he is getting.

TheRef
04-12-2015, 11:23 AM
I'd look at the travel costs and such before I got all excited about the "revenue" of women's basketball.

I'm sure you're the same person who says that they would sacrifice every women's program for football or baseball. Am I right?

Bully13
04-12-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm sure you're the same person who says that they would sacrifice every women's program for football or baseball. Am I right?

I would , for a men's natty and a dominant top 10 year in and year out football program.

blacklistedbully
04-12-2015, 11:33 AM
I love it! Vic is a fantastic representative of Our State! I love that our young ladies are kicking butt and taking names. I do think it's unfortunate that we can't offer more baseball schollies, but, as others have said, that's got nothing to do with Vic. The extra 400k per year he is making will not make a difference. We can afford it easily.

If we're going to have women's sports, let's try to be the best we can be, get the best student-athletes we can get, and the best coaches we can get.

TheRef
04-12-2015, 11:35 AM
I would , for a men's natty and a dominant top 10 year in and year out football program.

Well I'm glad you can't make decisions regarding the athletic department...

engie
04-12-2015, 11:37 AM

After all these years -- do you REALLY think I would have posted that if I hadn't already confirmed it to be true?

engie
04-12-2015, 11:38 AM
No. It's not. But I have no issue w what he is getting.

Yes, it is. And it's obvious that we're investing in that going forward as well.

Homedawg
04-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Yes, it is. And it's obvious that we're investing in that going forward as well.

I'm not getting into a pissing contest w your about this. My info is coming straight from someone deep inside the ath dept and he says you are wrong. But whatever.

Drugdog
04-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Who cares. The Better we are at all Sports, The better our Reputation.

A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships.

Now we have fans complaining about a coach who is doing well and gets a raise. Really?

engie
04-12-2015, 12:09 PM
I'm not getting into a pissing contest w your about this. My info is coming straight from someone deep inside the ath dept and he says you are wrong. But whatever.

Yeah -- and Stricklin implied that the Athletics dept didn't clear $6mil last year either. But it did.

These sources "deep inside athletics depts" need to learn to read their own revenue reports and if they are going to deny the publicly available data, they are dumber than they were for(the soon to be alleged I'm sure) cooking of the books. WBB contributes a decent slice of the pie that is the secnetwork right now as well that has yet to make those reports. Our increase in attendance hasn't hit it yet either.

Quaoarsking
04-12-2015, 12:10 PM
People are seriously complaining about a small fraction of our new SECN revenue going to keep a WBB coach happy, a guy who has the potential to lead us to a run of S16s and higher? That money will come back to us in exposure if we become a legitimately good WBB program.

MabenMaroon
04-12-2015, 01:07 PM
One of these days in the near future we will land a highly sought after stud recruit in mbb, bb or football. This recruit will turn out to be an All SEC or AA for us and he will cite that the reason or one of the reasons that he came to MSU is that his girlfriend, sister, high school classmate, neighbor, etc came here or played here.
Face it folks, this is 2015, and whether you agree with Title IX or don't, it is a law and every NCAA member school has to abide by it. If it were to have some effect on our capabilities to hire top notch coaches/asst. coaches, or build/upgrade facilities for the men's sports, it would have the same effect on our competitors. If you look around the nation at all of the perennial top programs in any of the men's sports you will see that they are perennial top programs in the women's sports as well, with very few exceptions. So if we want to be top notch in any of the men's programs, we best get on board to committing to having the best in all programs. It is that simple, period.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-12-2015, 01:41 PM
One of these days in the near future we will land a highly sought after stud recruit in mbb, bb or football. This recruit will turn out to be an All SEC or AA for us and he will cite that the reason or one of the reasons that he came to MSU is that his girlfriend, sister, high school classmate, neighbor, etc came here or played here.
Face it folks, this is 2015, and whether you agree with Title IX or don't, it is a law and every NCAA member school has to abide by it. If it were to have some effect on our capabilities to hire top notch coaches/asst. coaches, or build/upgrade facilities for the men's sports, it would have the same effect on our competitors. If you look around the nation at all of the perennial top programs in any of the men's sports you will see that they are perennial top programs in the women's sports as well, with very few exceptions. So if we want to be top notch in any of the men's programs, we best get on board to committing to having the best in all programs. It is that simple, period.

Nigel Knott says hello. His sister is currently on the track team & he's been on campus tons of times bc of that.

Offshore Dawg
04-12-2015, 02:44 PM
I hope they get the new Softball tennis complex done

Dawgcentral
04-12-2015, 06:57 PM
I think opinions on Title IX would change if some folks had a daughter eligible for some scholarship money.

I disagreed with Title IX until I had a daughter. Then I saw the opportunities it presented. She received an academic scholarship, but I still feel the same way.

To some of us, the educational opportunity is still of great importance.

Homedawg
04-12-2015, 07:07 PM
I think opinions on Title IX would change if some folks had a daughter eligible for some scholarship money.

I disagreed with Title IX until I had a daughter. Then I saw the opportunities it presented. She received an academic scholarship, but I still feel the same way.

To some of us, the educational opportunity is still of great importance.
I have a daughter, I'm not opposed to women's athletics. I'm for it. However, when men get punished, as in the case of baseball. And In lots of cases spots are filled just to make quotas, well that's bull crap. Men's hoops, 13 scholarships. Women's hoops 15. Men's tennis, men's golf vs women's tennis and golf. Yea we want equality. Horse hockey.

Dawgcentral
04-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Sure, it might be out of balance. But post some stats that illustrate what we had before.

I understand the need to accentuate the sports that make revenue, but I also understand that encouraging women to advance their lives by playing team sports produces life benefits that have been sorely needed in the workplace for quite some time. Title IX promotes teamwork, leadership skills, and women who go through life not being intimidated by assholes.

This is more important than our baseball team. Yeah,...I said it.

Homedawg
04-12-2015, 07:27 PM
The fact that baseball was cut just because of title 9 is crap. Just to make some quotas. Ridiculous. Again. I'm not against women's opportunities, but some of the things done to "balance" it out, just created spots for the sake of numbers. equal? That's what is fair? Yea makes sense.

Bully13
04-12-2015, 07:32 PM
if they didn't include men's football schollies, it would be fine. that's the unfair part. title 9 has destroyed men's baseball teams across the country. colleges have had to actually invent new programs to be compliant. I read a piece about how a college in Iowa had to dig up and create a lake for women's rowing. everybody looking for free shit. the free loaders don't care who they screw over, just as long as they get their free shit.

Dawgcentral
04-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Well, if you consider it was all about equality, yeah it makes sense. You want to give a number of women the same opportunities as the same number of men.

You ask these women to make the sacrifice of their time and in turn, they receive a scholarship, or a partial scholarship.

I won't disagree if your argument is about revenue generating sports. My argument is based on a university that sustains itself partially on public funding should offer equal opportunity for qualified students. How many of our football players would have a shot at college without the benefit of a scholarship? Even if they only manage a degree in a lesser area, they have that going for them when they enter the workplace.

There are way too many women dealing with a life situation where they depend on some asshole with half a brain, but more earning power.

Homedawg
04-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Well, if you consider it was all about equality, yeah it makes sense. You want to give a number of women the same opportunities as the same number of men.

You ask these women to make the sacrifice of their time and in turn, they receive a scholarship, or a partial scholarship.

I won't disagree if your argument is about revenue generating sports. My argument is based on a university that sustains itself partially on public funding should offer equal opportunity for qualified students. How many of our football players would have a shot at college without the benefit of a scholarship? Even if they only manage a degree in a lesser area, they have that going for them when they enter the workplace.

There are way too many women dealing with a life situation where they depend on some asshole with half a brain, but more earning power.

I'm not arguing to argue because I think you are being fairly reasonable honestly. I know you just want equal opportunities and all that. That's fine. With all that said, what is equal opportunity? The same number? Really? Honestly do an equal number of women give a crap about sports as men? Heck no. But sure they will junp at an opportunity for a full ride at a given institution even if they don't care about the sport. How is 8 tennis scholarships for women at the the d1 level and 4.5 for men equal? It's not. As for dealing w an asshole, I don't knwo how that really has anything to do w title 9. Title 9 won't prevent your daughter or mine from dealing w an arrogant male assshole.

Bully13
04-12-2015, 09:35 PM

I don't agree with the "equality" statement. people like to use that statement and close the argument with it and not care about the specifics or what the actual outcomes are. it's those "code words" that people use in order to validate their argument.

we're talking athletics here. we could even ask ourselves what the hell do athletics and academics even belong in the same sentence? why does someone's athletic prowess entitle them to an academic scholly in the first place?

it's because that's the way it is. football. basketball. baseball (too a lesser degree than the other 2) a minor league for the NFL and MLB.

we all know the WNBA is nothing but welfare from the NBA. Cool. the NBA can spend their money any way they see fit. it's all about P.R. there is a market, but it does not sustain itself.

when it gets to the point where we have to make schollies available to women's rowing, to cut baseball, that's when it gets ridiculous.

more college baseball is better for men's lives. it's better for society overall. and women's rowing teams should not take a front seat to that.

TheRef
04-12-2015, 09:40 PM
And we're done here...Vic got a raise after the best start in MSU Women's Basketball history. He's an amazing coach and an even better person.

To all of you people say that we shouldn't have paid this much, you lost a little bit of my respect. May not mean much to you, but my respect is important to me and I'll look lesser on you.

Coach34
04-12-2015, 10:42 PM
It's open again. Vic is a very good coach and deserved a raise.

Title 9 is bullshit.

Bully13
04-12-2015, 10:56 PM
It's open again. Vic is a very good coach and deserved a raise.

Title 9 is bullshit.

thank you 34... to deny a baseball scollie because "we need a another female row boating schollie" is absurd.

title 9 has destroyed numerous baseball kids a legit crossroad.. let them find their way in life. don't deny them an avenue for a female row boating scholie. it makes no sense . .

Hot Rock
04-13-2015, 06:19 AM
Sure, it might be out of balance. But post some stats that illustrate what we had before.

I understand the need to accentuate the sports that make revenue, but I also understand that encouraging women to advance their lives by playing team sports produces life benefits that have been sorely needed in the workplace for quite some time. Title IX promotes teamwork, leadership skills, and women who go through life not being intimidated by assholes.

^^This guy gets it^^^

Hot Rock
04-13-2015, 06:31 AM
There may be a better way than Title IX. I don't doubt that at all, but:

One of the main problems with our educational system is that it favors athletes and more importantly male athletes at a very young age. Women and girls should get the same opportunities as men.

If we could take coaches out of the government of our schools then maybe, just maybe something could be done about it.

The attitude toward women in this country appalls me. My grandfather left his land to his sons and nothing to his daughters back in the 70's. It seems nothing has changed.

msstate7
04-13-2015, 06:33 AM

So we should encourage women to play softball, tennis, golf, etc, and punish men who aren't basketball and football players?

msstate7
04-13-2015, 06:37 AM
What if scholarship numbers for football were cut to 70 and the 15 scholarships were given to baseball?

I'm not for this, but I wonder how it would affect us. I think it would help us against the Bamas of the country

msstate7
04-13-2015, 06:57 AM
If we signed a woman kicker in football, would a women's scholarship be lost in another sport?

engie
04-13-2015, 07:11 AM
I missed the part where women's basketball is artificially removing scholarships from baseball. Someone want to point me to a link on that?

This is just ridiculous. Great basketball coach gets a well-deserved raise and extension for having us on the way to caring about a women's sport and being prominent nationally -- and THAT thread is the one everyone used to shit on women's sports and rally around the unfairness to the baseball situation(which no one here disagrees with anyway, but this is hardly the place), and given context, are thus bitching about us investing in being good in WBB at the same time.

Quaoarsking
04-13-2015, 07:18 AM
As I said on the other thread, blame the NCAA, not Title IX itself.

The NCAA could and should expand baseball scholarships to 25, and then let the schools decide themselves how to handle Title IX compliance. Some might choose not to offer the full allotment of baseball scholarships, while others might add an additional women's sport to compensate. The NCAA should also allow equal numbers of scholarships for each men's and women's sport, so 6 for both golfs, 14 for both soccers, etc., and leave it up to the schools to obey the law. It's the NCAA, not Title IX itself, that is the hindrance to baseball and that deserves baseball fans' ire.
If men as a whole want a larger total number of athletic scholarships than women have, then we should get our act together and go to college more. Remember, Title IX requires that each college have an equal proportion of athletic scholarships as the gender makeup of the school, so almost all D1 schools have more women on athletic scholarship than men.
Also, our dear friend needs to remember that baseball is just as much of a "handout sport" at almost every school as women's rowing is. Or are handouts OK when they're for something you like?

Coach34
04-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Things don't have to be equal- the number of people that view each event aren't. That's where Title 9 goes wrong. Of course there needs to be sports for women and scholarships that affords them opportunities that wouldn't normally have- but you don't punish any of the Big 3 to accomplish it. Require D-1 schools to maintain a certain number of women's sports to remain D-1...but don't punish the men's sports in doing so.

Johnson85
04-13-2015, 08:52 AM
There may be a better way than Title IX. I don't doubt that at all, but:

One of the main problems with our educational system is that it favors athletes and more importantly male athletes at a very young age. Women and girls should get the same opportunities as men.

If we could take coaches out of the government of our schools then maybe, just maybe something could be done about it.

The attitude toward women in this country appalls me. My grandfather left his land to his sons and nothing to his daughters back in the 70's. It seems nothing has changed.

Seriously? This is idiotic. Nobody argues that women and girls shouldn't get the same opportunities as men. Whatever public money goes to universities should be split between men's and women's sports roughly in proportion to the student body. But there's no reason that sports that bring in money because people want to see them should have to donate a certain percentage of that money to other student athletes based on whether or not they have penises. The gov't doesn't need to go around confiscating money from female models to help equalize the private money paid to male and female models, and the gov't doesn't need to confiscate money paid or donated to certain athletic programs in order to equalize the amount of private money spent between men and women's sports.

Johnson85
04-13-2015, 08:56 AM
I missed the part where women's basketball is artificially removing scholarships from baseball. Someone want to point me to a link on that?

Non-revenue women's sports artificially limit the number of scholarships available for men's sports. It doesn't have to be baseball, but it has to be something because money is finite. It seems pretty clear in the SEC at least that if men's sports weren't penalized so heavily by Title IX that we would have more baseball and/or more men's soccer scholarships. If women's basketball really turns a profit now, then it is no longer part of the problem, and there's no reason to complain about Vic's salary. If it doesn't turn a profit, it's pretty obscene to pay that much for programs that only benefit a few students.

Dawgcentral
04-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Women who participate in team sports are less likely to be raped. Women who participate in team sports are more likely to succeed in the workplace. Women who participate in team sports are healthier. Women who participate in team sports are less likely to be abused by men.

Title IX is worth giving up a few scholarships in some men's sports. It's not always about revenue. It's about improving the lives of young people, as well as providing opportunity. It's about educated people raising educated children. You want more baseball scholarships? Get a damn lottery in Mississippi.

Ask your Mom, your sister, or your daughter how they feel about it. Show some respect for some of the most I,portent people in your lives instead of worrying about hosting a regional, or having condos in left field.