PDA

View Full Version : Defense strikes back at scrimmage today

Coach34
04-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Scrimmage updates I got today had a pissed off D getting after our O's ass

Corey Thomas looked good
Fred Ross is going to start at the slot and be used alot.
Little Boobie is starting to make some plays
Our decision to stick with Dontavian Lee and sign him is paying off bigtime
Numerous guys on D made plays and just got in the offense's ass today

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2015, 03:20 PM
We never wavered on Lee. A lot of fans tried to question our coaches on him after he didn't dominate the state championship game but he was battling injuries. Then everybody wanted to move him to LB before he even stepped on campus. Kid runs hard & has great hands.

Coach34
04-11-2015, 03:31 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree. I know what I know- but no need to post. The kid is busting his ass and playing well. Glad to see it. Also glad to see the D give the offense a little shit today. Offense needs a little "attention getter" from time to time

hailmari
04-11-2015, 03:46 PM
Out of all the RB recruits' videos I've watched, Lee's and Kentavious Thomas's have been my favorites. Thankfully, we have one of those guys.

mic
04-11-2015, 04:14 PM
C Jiles will make a huge difference if he can stay healthy
DL looked really good
Ross was playing all over the field so everyone don't go all" state fan" when is listed as slot starter.
The light has come on for Nick James .. At least it has so far
Cory Thomas will be a good one.
Dixon took a lot of reps today. Not saying that will continue this fall but he did today
Gus is a solid TE.
The first team defense looked very good...
And for kicking.. Graves hammered a 40 harder that would have been good from 50
And the punting was beyond good..
Redmond and Ross handled all of them..

maroonmania
04-11-2015, 04:19 PM
What position is Dixon playing?

BrunswickDawg
04-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Nick Fitzgerald (21-39, 263 yards, 2 TD)
Fitz still making a strong run at #2

jbjones
04-11-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree. I know what I know- but no need to post. The kid is busting his ass and playing well. Glad to see it. Also glad to see the D give the offense a little shit today. Offense needs a little "attention getter" from time to time

I agree. Don't let the O think they're #1..ever...

Did you say Attention getter?

http://tibbee-creek.com/images/attentiongetter.jpg

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2015, 06:23 PM

He's the only healthy QB besides Dak but he's done well.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2015, 06:23 PM
What position is Dixon playing?

TE

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 06:27 PM
I'm curious to see how Ross looks in the slot. I think we will use Gray and Myles a lot there too. My guess is it just means that we will go with a starting group of Bear and Morrow on the outside since he is a senior and then Ross in the slot.

Jacksondevildog
04-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Heard Dear got injured. Anyone know anything? Didn't sound horrible.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2015, 06:33 PM
I'm curious to see how Ross looks in the slot. I think we will use Gray and Myles a lot there too. My guess is it just means that we will go with a starting group of Bear and Morrow on the outside since he is a senior and then Ross in the slot.

Ross played in the slot a lot last year. When Tubby got hurt & even when he came back he played in the slot. Ross playing in the slot is the reason Myles p/t was cut late last year. Ross will lead us in catches & yards next year. Gray also may start on the outside instead of Morrow. He can easily play outside. He's only played outside in his career. He played outside last year when he was the best Juco WR in the country. In his case his size isn't a problem outside.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Heard Dear got injured. Anyone know anything? Didn't sound horrible.

He's ok. Got horse collared but he's ok.

thf24
04-11-2015, 07:46 PM
I was admittedly a little baffled at first by Ross inside/Gray outside, mainly due to size considerations, but I like it the more I think about it. Ross sounds like he's really going to do some damage in the slot, and Gray on the outside should give us a guy who can both outright burn a corner on a fly route and then actually catch the ball (something that's been either/or for us in recent history in regards to the deep ball).

mic
04-11-2015, 07:49 PM

Don't worry where our WR lineup ... They are all VERY good.. Ross was all over the field outside inside slot stack in motion with pitch in backfield..
I wouldn't be surprised if Bear lined up in the slot some...

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Ross played in the slot a lot last year. When Tubby got hurt & even when he came back he played in the slot. Ross playing in the slot is the reason Myles p/t was cut late last year. Ross will lead us in catches & yards next year. Gray also may start on the outside instead of Morrow. He can easily play outside. He's only played outside in his career. He played outside last year when he was the best Juco WR in the country. In his case his size isn't a problem outside.

I'm sure most SEC slot guys could play outside WR in JUCO ball. That doesn't mean a lot to me to be quite frank.

Look back at the LSU game and how we used Jameon in the slot. We used him a good bit in the running game or on fakes. We didn't do that a lot with Ross- which is why most people don't even remember Ross being in the slot. Ross and Myles limited what we could do because they didn't have Jameon's skill set.

Now, can Ross develop his game and be more like Jameon? Maybe. Myles needs to work on catching passes downfield- literally all he caught were screen passes, and that is equally as or more limiting than what Ross gave us. It's pretty obvious to me why Myles playing time got cut. And I'm sure that they have worked on those things in the spring.

But again, I'm not too worried about it because I know we're going to use Dear and Gray a lot in the slot either way regardless of whether they "start" or not.

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Don't worry where our WR lineup ... They are all VERY good.. Ross was all over the field outside inside slot stack in motion with pitch in backfield..
I wouldn't be surprised if Bear lined up in the slot some...

That's good to hear about Ross.

IMO, our best WR lineup is still Bear and Ross on the outside and Gray in the slot.

But knowing Dan, I think he starts Bear and Morrow on the outside and Ross in the slot because of Morrow being a senior and because of the fact that he will play a lot of guys anyway.

msstate7
04-11-2015, 08:00 PM
That's good to hear about Ross.

IMO, our best WR lineup is still Bear and Ross on the outside and Gray in the slot.

But knowing Dan, I think he starts Bear and Morrow on the outside and Ross in the slot because of Morrow being a senior and because of the fact that he will play a lot of guys anyway.

Morrow is our best blocking wr according to Matt Wyatt. I think morrow could certainly start, but I think Gray plays a ton

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Morrow is our best blocking wr according to Matt Wyatt. I think morrow could certainly start, but I think Gray plays a ton

He's right- and if you watch a highlight video from 2013 Morrow had a TON of key blocks throughout the year. I'm sure he had a lot from last year too, I just haven't seen a highlight video to confirm.

I like Morrow and I think he's a good player.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm sure most SEC slot guys could play outside WR in JUCO ball. That doesn't mean a lot to me to be quite frank.

Look back at the LSU game and how we used Jameon in the slot. We used him a good bit in the running game or on fakes. We didn't do that a lot with Ross- which is why most people don't even remember Ross being in the slot. Ross and Myles limited what we could do because they didn't have Jameon's skill set.

Now, can Ross develop his game and be more like Jameon? Maybe. Myles needs to work on catching passes downfield- literally all he caught were screen passes, and that is equally as or more limiting than what Ross gave us. It's pretty obvious to me why Myles playing time got cut. And I'm sure that they have worked on those things in the spring.

But again, I'm not too worried about it because I know we're going to use Dear and Gray a lot in the slot either way regardless of whether they "start" or not.

Thing is Ross can do more things in the slot than Jameon can & is more talented. He's going to be big time. I also remember Ross in the slot against OM & Ga Tech where he was great. You have to get over Gray's size when thinking about an outside WR. He's a legit Steve Smith type WR. He can play outside with no problems. He's not like Bump or Tubby who were only able to play slot. He's faster, stronger, & more physical than both. He can handle the outside easily.

msstate7
04-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Thing is Ross can do more things in the slot than Jameon can & is more talented. He's going to be big time. I also remember Ross in the slot against OM & Ga Tech where he was great. You have to get over Gray's size when thinking about an outside WR. He's a legit Steve Smith type WR. He can play outside with no problems. He's not like Bump or Tubby who were only able to play slot. He's faster, stronger, & more physical than both. He can handle the outside easily.

I have no doubt gray can run routes and make plays out wide. I just wonder how well he can block. Our outside wr's are called upon to run block aren't they?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2015, 08:40 PM
I have no doubt gray can run routes and make plays out wide. I just wonder how well he can block. Our outside wr's are called upon to run block aren't they?

Yes they are. I have no worries about Gray being able to block.

Coach34
04-11-2015, 08:47 PM

so are our slot receivers- and they usually block bigger people

maroonmania
04-11-2015, 09:07 PM
The primary reason Ross is playing in the slot a good bit is that, per Bumphis and others, the slot receiver in our offense is by far the most difficult receiver position to play. There are many, many more reads that the slot guy has to make based off the defensive coverage than the X and Y to be on the same page as the QB. Ross is an intelligent guy who knows the playbook and has the skills to play either inside or outside. The only other slot guy we have with any experience is Myles, and while Myles is a good receiver, Ross can be elite.

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 09:16 PM

I agree that Ross is more talented than Jameon, but the question is- is he more versatile than Jameon? Until I SEE him do that I can't be sold on that. And if Ross is, why haven't we seen that from him to date?

Same thing with Gray. I'm very leery with players that are compared to undersized NFL guys that are literally the one in a thousand example. The odds are good that Gray isn't even in the same ballpark. It's one thing to beat a guy from Holmes CC and some walk-on at MSU and an All-American from Alabama in a live game situation. To me, it's still a question mark until I actually see him do it.

I'm worried about having Gray and Bear on the outside in the 20 and the other team knows where the fade route is going to- because they are going to double Bear and not have to worry about doubling Gray because I'm pretty sure that they are going to feel like their 6'0" CB can cover him man to man in a jump ball situation. Which frees them up to bring an extra guy to blitz Dak.

Dawgface
04-11-2015, 09:20 PM

That sounds great. I look forward to seeing him play.

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 09:20 PM
The primary reason Ross is playing in the slot a good bit is that, per Bumphis and others, the slot receiver in our offense is by far the most difficult receiver position to play. There are many, many more reads that the slot guy has to make based off the defensive coverage than the X and Y to be on the same page as the QB. Ross is an intelligent guy who knows the playbook and has the skills to play either inside or outside. The only other slot guy we have with any experience is Myles, and while Myles is a good receiver, Ross can be elite.

Yes- they run a lot of option routes based off of the coverage and they have to be in synch with the QB or the QB is going to be throwing the ball in the middle of the field into a lot of traffic- and they means INT a lot of times.

Honestly, because of that it really wouldn't shock me at all if Gray doesn't see a ton of time next year at all until he gets the offense down. And that might be why we are starting him on the outside- just like we are starting Rankin at RT to learn the system before moving him to LT which is what he will ultimately play down the line at some point.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2015, 09:21 PM
I agree that Ross is more talented than Jameon, but the question is- is he more versatile than Jameon? Until I SEE him do that I can't be sold on that. And if Ross is, why haven't we seen that from him to date?

Same thing with Gray. I'm very leery with players that are compared to undersized NFL guys that are literally the one in a thousand example. The odds are good that Gray isn't even in the same ballpark. It's one thing to beat a guy from Holmes CC and some walk-on at MSU and an All-American from Alabama in a live game situation. To me, it's still a question mark until I actually see him do it.

I'm worried about having Gray and Bear on the outside in the 20 and the other team knows where the fade route is going to- because they are going to double Bear and not have to worry about doubling Gray because I'm pretty sure that they are going to feel like their 6'0" CB can cover him man to man in a jump ball situation. Which frees them up to bring an extra guy to blitz Dak.

I guess we'll see. Plus let's not act like Ross didn't have 3 games of 100yd receiving the last half of last season. I stand by my word Ross will lead us in catches & yards & Gray will do great on the outside.

RiverCityDawg
04-11-2015, 09:29 PM

What? Just because you don't remember Ross in the slot doesn't mean it limited our offense (or even that "most people don't remember" him there). Ross was very good catching the ball out of the slot last year. And he's great with the ball in his hands, so he can do the run action stuff we did with Jameon if we want to.

Have you ever watched Gray play? Are you basing all this on anything other than Gray's height vs Ross's height and your preconceived notion of what you think the slot position is? We NEED a burner like Gray on the outside. As long as he is quick enough and to beat jams, he'll be fine with his size. Ross is shiftier/smoother than he is fast, which is great for the slot.

Check out Coach G's recent post-practice quotes... Gray is only playing outside. Sure, that could change, but it seems unlikely that he would play exclusively outside all spring only to play more (if any) slot this fall.

FlabLoser
04-11-2015, 09:41 PM
So I hear Ross might play slot.

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 09:47 PM
I guess we'll see. Plus let's not act like Ross didn't have 3 games of 100yd receiving the last half of last season. I stand by my word Ross will lead us in catches & yards & Gray will do great on the outside.

I'm not saying that Ross sucks at all. Quite the opposite.

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 09:50 PM
What? Just because you don't remember Ross in the slot doesn't mean it limited our offense (or even that "most people don't remember" him there). Ross was very good catching the ball out of the slot last year. And he's great with the ball in his hands, so he can do the run action stuff we did with Jameon if we want to.

Have you ever watched Gray play? Are you basing all this on anything other than Gray's height vs Ross's height and your preconceived notion of what you think the slot position is? We NEED a burner like Gray on the outside. As long as he is quick enough and to beat jams, he'll be fine with his size. Ross is shiftier/smoother than he is fast, which is great for the slot.

Check out Coach G's recent post-practice quotes... Gray is only playing outside. Sure, that could change, but it seems unlikely that he would play exclusively outside all spring only to play more (if any) slot this fall.

It did limit us a little bit. How many rushing attempts did Ross get last year? That's what I am talking about.

I've seen video of Gray. I haven't seen him in person. I have doubts about him out jumping SEC corners in the red zone. Have you seen him go up against SEC players before? None of us have and until he does it's still a question mark.

Coach34
04-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Ross is going to lead us in catches and yards
Bear will lead us in TD catches

People are making too much of where anybody plays. We don't throw bubble screens- it's really doesn't matter who plays the slot.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2015, 10:08 PM
It did limit us a little bit. How many rushing attempts did Ross get last year? That's what I am talking about.

I've seen video of Gray. I haven't seen him in person. I have doubts about him out jumping SEC corners in the red zone. Have you seen him go up against SEC players before? None of us have and until he does it's still a question mark.

Hell we haven't figured out how to throw a great jump ball to Bear in the red zone so I'm not worried about Gray having to out jump CB's.

msstate7
04-11-2015, 10:14 PM
Hell we haven't figured out how to throw a great jump ball to Bear in the red zone so I'm not worried about Gray having to out jump CB's.
Didn't we put bear in slot in the red zone some last year? Pretty sure he caught td vs aTm out of slot

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Didn't we put bear in slot in the red zone some last year? Pretty sure he caught td vs aTm out of slot

I know he caught a TD against USM out of the slot. Maybe Auburn too?

FlabLoser
04-11-2015, 10:56 PM
Bear was bad ass the first 4-5 games last year and then not so much after that. Some of it was J Lewis getting hurt. I'm not sure what changed, but we got away with creating mismatches with him in the slot and also the back shoulder fade with him out wide. Early on it looked like those plays were unstoppable.

Then we mostly quit running it.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2015, 10:57 PM
Opposing defenses took away the back shoulder fade more than we went away from it. Look at the Auburn game they were sitting on it. It pretty much was like that the rest of the year.

ZedFedder
04-11-2015, 11:00 PM
We stopped because Auburn picked us twice on it and people were starting to anticipate it. If the corner anticipates or knows it is coming, it's a dangerous play.

chef dixon
04-11-2015, 11:33 PM
I don't understand why we compare our newer guys with Jameon. He was ok and had some productive games but at times last year I think he actually limited our offense because we were so set on getting him in the game and involved. The pen of receivers we have now have more ability plain and simple. Ross is going to be incredible this season no matter where he lines up. I'm curious to see how quickly Gray makes an impact based on the way people are talking about him. Morrow, F. Brown, and Myles are all going to be hard to keep off the field, especially with Mullen's track record of playing guys who have been around.

Todd4State
04-12-2015, 12:07 AM
I don't understand why we compare our newer guys with Jameon. He was ok and had some productive games but at times last year I think he actually limited our offense because we were so set on getting him in the game and involved. The pen of receivers we have now have more ability plain and simple. Ross is going to be incredible this season no matter where he lines up. I'm curious to see how quickly Gray makes an impact based on the way people are talking about him. Morrow, F. Brown, and Myles are all going to be hard to keep off the field, especially with Mullen's track record of playing guys who have been around.

Well, he was our most recent starter at slot. I'm sure I/we could compare people to Bumphis as well. Bumphis was better than Jameon IMO. Lewis had a huge game against LSU and I think he set a school record for receiving in the Liberty Bowl. He had a nice career for us. I do agree that he was such a big part of the plan that when he went out it really limited us for the rest of the year. Jameon had a rough time in the Orange Bowl as well.

I just watched some Orange Bowl highlights and lo and behold there was Ross in the slot. Maybe we will expand what he can do now that Jameon is gone.

Just knowing Dan, my guess is that the starters will be Bear and Morrow on the outside and Ross in the slot as I have said. But there will be a lot of guys that get worked in like Gray, Fred Brown, and I think Malik Dear will play some also.

mic
04-12-2015, 09:10 AM
No one needs to worry about our WR period... Where they line up , who's in at certain times, Ect...
We will get the ball in their hands anyway we can. I bet Ross, Gray, Myles, and even Dear if he doesn't redshirt will all have multiple rushes this year...
It's the most weapons bar none we have EVER had here...

And when we get inside the 20 .. You can probably expect a lot of 2 TE in the game, Morrow in the game ( big target and blocking) ..

CadaverDawg
04-12-2015, 09:45 AM

I agree. Ross will kill it, and may be drafted after this season.

Todd, I see what you're saying, but what are you basing Gray's ability to be great at the slot on? He played outside in Juco, so how do we know he has a Tubby skill set? He may be better at outside.

CadaverDawg
04-12-2015, 09:47 AM

I agree. Ross will make people say "Jameon who?"

Coach34
04-12-2015, 10:05 AM
All Jameon did against LSU was shake free after Dakota escaped out of the pocket and freelanced- turning into a 74 TD pass. The flat defender had to decide between staying with Tubby or going to to get Prescott. LSU blew it in that nobody over the top could get there to catch Tubby after Dakota hit him with the short pass. It wasnt anything extraordinary by any means.

Tubby had 2 carries for 7 yards.

Ross will be twice the WR in the slot Tubby was. He's not as quick or shifty- but we dont have to have all that

CadaverDawg
04-12-2015, 10:14 AM
All Jameon did against LSU was shake free after Dakota escaped out of the pocket and freelanced- turning into a 74 TD pass. The flat defender had to decide between staying with Tubby or going to to get Prescott. LSU blew it in that nobody over the top could get there to catch Tubby after Dakota hit him with the short pass. It wasnt anything extraordinary by any means.

Ross will be twice the WR in the slot Tubby was. He's not as quick or shifty- but we dont have to have all that

Exactly. Often times we see a size, and label a player to be a certain possession based off that size.

RBritt
04-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Gray is the real deal. But damn do we have a stable of wr's!

Coach34
04-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Best WR group we've ever had- and it's not close. Bear and Ross are NFL WR's

Dallas_Dawg
04-12-2015, 10:46 AM

This says a lot. Our last NFL wide receiver was Justin Jenkins and before that Eric Moulds. If I'm not mistaken...

War Machine Dawg
04-12-2015, 06:46 PM
This says a lot. Our last NFL wide receiver was Justin Jenkins and before that Eric Moulds. If I'm not mistaken...

Lance Long says hello.

Todd4State
04-12-2015, 07:08 PM
I agree. Ross will kill it, and may be drafted after this season.

Todd, I see what you're saying, but what are you basing Gray's ability to be great at the slot on? He played outside in Juco, so how do we know he has a Tubby skill set? He may be better at outside.

I'm basing it off of his JUCO video. He is extremely shifty.

See this video for an example of what I see him doing. What he does at the end of it is going to be tough for a LB or S to handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RjVGXwJUqw

Sorry about the TV announcers annoying laugh.

Dallas_Dawg
04-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Lance Long says hello.

Hello Lance. You ain't an NFL Wide receiver.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-12-2015, 07:55 PM
I'm basing it off of his JUCO video. He is extremely shifty.

See this video for an example of what I see him doing. What he does at the end of it is going to be tough for a LB or S to handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RjVGXwJUqw

Sorry about the TV announcers annoying laugh.

Thing is all of that was on the outside.

chef dixon
04-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Haha, Lance Long. Holy shit. How far our program has come.

War Machine Dawg
04-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Hello Lance. You ain't an NFL Wide receiver.

Uhhh....Long played for a few years. He was a marginal player, but he did play.

FlabLoser
04-12-2015, 11:04 PM

I'd put Moulds and Truitt above those two.

Top to bottom, I think this year is our best WR roster. And it is certainly our best QB roster.

Todd4State
04-12-2015, 11:29 PM
Thing is all of that was on the outside.

It was also against all JUCO competition. Bumphis played the outside a good but in high school too- that doesn't mean his best spot was on the outside. Martinas Rankin played LT all throughout JUCO and the rest of his life. We have him at RT right now.

Do you seriously not get the difference between Mississippi JUCO and the SEC? Do you expect Chad Kelly to light up the SEC like he did the JUCO leagues? The same guy that went like 9 for 24 in a scrimmage where he was off limits for contact?

If you expect Gray to light up the SEC from the outside like he did the JUCO leagues- the odds are against you on that.

Coach34
04-13-2015, 06:32 AM
Todd- gray is going to play outside- not in the slot

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2015, 07:07 AM
It was also against all JUCO competition. Bumphis played the outside a good but in high school too- that doesn't mean his best spot was on the outside. Martinas Rankin played LT all throughout JUCO and the rest of his life. We have him at RT right now.

Do you seriously not get the difference between Mississippi JUCO and the SEC? Do you expect Chad Kelly to light up the SEC like he did the JUCO leagues? The same guy that went like 9 for 24 in a scrimmage where he was off limits for contact?

If you expect Gray to light up the SEC from the outside like he did the JUCO leagues- the odds are against you on that.

You're projecting him to kill in the slot based off Juco competition what's the diff? The diff between Bump playing outside & Gray playing outside is Bump didn't have the speed to play outside. He couldn't get by DB's on the deep routes. That speed is what separates Gray with Tubby & Bump playing on the outside. I don't understand the Chad Kelly comparison. What does he have to do with Gray? Every player is different. I'm not saying he comes in & lead the SEC in receptions or anything I'm not even saying he leads the team. What I'm saying is he'll play outside & play damn good. All you see is his height & just automatically say he can't do it while everyone who's ever saw him play says he can. I'll take my eyes on this 1.

BulldogBear
04-13-2015, 08:43 AM

If Ross is indeed our main guy in the slot, are we planning to use Myles somewhere else or back Ross up with him?

I remember being impressed with Myles last year when Lewis went down. Didn't seem to lose much without JL. That's not a knock on him- just a praise of Myles

Really Clark?
04-13-2015, 08:53 AM

I wonder if he meant the year before last as well when Lewis caught 7 for 111 and 1 td against LSU

thf24
04-13-2015, 08:53 AM
Didn't seem to lose much without JL. That's not a knock on him- just a praise of Myles

I disagree. I think our offense as a whole struggled at times without Jameon, or simply a slot receiver who could catch passes over the middle in general (something Myles couldn't do consistently last year). That criticism sounds a little empty seeing as how last year's offense was at the top of the conference and probably our best historically, but it still takes a slot receiver and/or tight end catching passes over the middle and down the seams to really click.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2015, 08:58 AM
If Ross is indeed our main guy in the slot, are we planning to use Myles somewhere else or back Ross up with him?

I remember being impressed with Myles last year when Lewis went down. Didn't seem to lose much without JL. That's not a knock on him- just a praise of Myles

He will backup Ross.

CadaverDawg
04-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Another thing getting lost in the slot conversation is that Malcolm is gone. Ross will give us that bigger target over the middle, yet create that Malcolm type mismatch (though even more of a mismatch) down field vs a LB or S.

Ross is going to be a matchup nightmare in the slot. Then when we go 4 wide with Gray/Derunnya outside and Ross/Brown inside....good luck stopping that. Then Dear coming out as a pass catcher from the backfield? Sheez.
Oh yea, and then we still have the threat of a Dak draw up the middle on those same plays.

thedawg
04-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Myles will back up Ross... His emergence has pushed Jamoral to Defense and Gray outside... Then when Ross goes pro Myles will be ready to roll as a junior and senior.. backed up by Mixon or Deddrick Thomas

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Myles will back up Ross... His emergence has pushed Jamoral to Defense and Gray outside... Then when Ross goes pro Myles will be ready to roll as a junior and senior.. backed up by Mixon or Deddrick Thomas

If, If Ross goes pro early then Myles is going to have a real battle on his hands next year with Malik Dear to get that starting spot. Dear is special & will be 1 of the best playmakers MSU has ever had by the time he leaves campus.

Political Hack
04-13-2015, 10:02 AM

You can't bracket Bear in the RZ and handle the read option too. Defense has to chose or try to confuse us pre-snap.

CadaverDawg
04-13-2015, 10:09 AM
If, If Ross goes pro early then Myles is going to have a real battle on his hands next year with Malik Dear to get that starting spot. Dear is special & will be 1 of the best playmakers MSU has ever had by the time he leaves campus.

Wow. High praise from the man himself.

#Wool

confucius say
04-13-2015, 10:33 AM

Are we concerned at all about his weight. Rumors were he had gotten much bigger, but don't know if it's a good or bad weight.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Are we concerned at all about his weight. Rumors were he had gotten much bigger, but don't know if it's a good or bad weight.

Malik has lost 10-12lbs since he's been on campus. He will lose another 10-15lbs between now & fall camp. Malik has been great this spring but he's still a little overweight. Just imagine when he sheds those last 10-15lbs he's the Percy Harvin clone we've talked & heard about since Mullen got here.

bulldawg28
04-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Malik has lost 10-12lbs since he's been on campus. He will lose another 10-15lbs between now & fall camp. Malik has been great this spring but he's still a little overweight. Just imagine when he sheds those last 10-15lbs he's the Percy Harvin clone we've talked & heard about since Mullen got here.

Uhhh no. Do you realize how fast and quick Percy Harvin is? Losing weight can't produce that. Harvin ' s ability comes around rarely. He was full speed at 3 steps that's a gear that only the good Lord gives to the great ones. As good as Malik can and will be he'll be on the lines of Bumphis not Harvin.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Uhhh no. Do you realize how fast and quick Percy Harvin is? Losing weight can't produce that. Harvin ' s ability comes around rarely. He was full speed at 3 steps that's a gear that only the good Lord gives to the great ones. As good as Malik can and will be he'll be on the lines of Bumphis not Harvin.

I'm not saying he's THE Percy Harvin. I'm saying he's the 1st person we've had to truly play the Harvin role. The guy that can play in the slot, play in the backfield, play the wildcat. I think he will be better than Bumphis & I know that's saying a lot. He is just so versatile & they've thrown a lot at him this spring in terms of doing different stuff & he's handled it great. No those other 10-15lbs may not make him Harvin fast but it will make him very fast. Malik when he's fully healthy & in shape was being compared to great MS products like Jerious Norwood & Freddie Millons & some of the best playmakers we've seen. He's a special talent.

Really Clark?
04-13-2015, 11:35 AM

I don't know if he will reach Harvin level at all but I will be shocked if he is not levels above Bumphis. And I loved Bumphis but barring injury, attitude, etc physically he should be much better than Bumphis.

LeakyD
04-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Willie Harris played with Truitt in 92...still good though. Moulds played on an intramural allstar basketball team that year with Marlon Dorsey, Rodney Hudson, and Super D.