PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Signees-Will they make it?

ZedFedder
04-11-2015, 10:18 AM
For some of the guys here in the know, what percentages would you put on our signees of actually making it to campus? I think if we get these big time players and we have some development, the future could be bright.

So what percentages would you put on the following:
Pickett, Small, Ford, Riley, Marrero, Fenter, Breaux, Padgett, Barlow, Alexander. I don't know if any others are even a draft risk.

Thanks in advance.

confucius say
04-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Todd, do your thing.

smootness
04-11-2015, 11:03 AM
For some of the guys here in the know, what percentages would you put on our signees of actually making it to campus? I think if we get these big time players and we have some development, the future could be bright.

So what percentages would you put on the following:
Pickett, Small, Ford, Riley, Marrero, Fenter, Breaux, Padgett, Barlow, Alexander. I don't know if any others are even a draft risk.

Thanks in advance.

I don't really have knowledge, but guesses based on what I've read:

Pickett - 5%
Ford - 30%
Riley - 50%
Marrero - 75%
Fenter - 50%
Bureaux - 95%
Padgett - 90%
Barlow - 99%
Alexander - 99%

Small is the other main draft risk. I'll guess 20% on him.

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 04:41 PM
These are odds that they will come to MSU.

Pickett- 40% (Only this high because he has struggled this season in high school, but also recently hit his first two home runs)
Small- 15%
Ford- 75%
Riley- 60% (Will be a tough sign for MLB)
Marrero- 75%
Fenter- 75%
Breaux- 50%
Padgett- 75%
Barlow- 75%
Alexander- 95%

Those are my pre-draft guesses and we'll know more in June.

RBritt
04-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Is Small having a great year?

Homedawg
04-11-2015, 06:08 PM
These are odds that they will come to MSU.

Pickett- 40% (Only this high because he has struggled this season in high school, but also recently hit his first two home runs)
Small- 15%
Ford- 75%
Riley- 60% (Will be a tough sign for MLB)
Marrero- 75%
Fenter- 75%
Breaux- 50%
Padgett- 75%
Barlow- 75%
Alexander- 95%

Those are my pre-draft guesses and we'll know more in June.

That's a serious case of optimism.

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Is Small having a great year?

I'm honestly not quite sure as far as his stats go- I can tell you that he has lost a couple of games. But as you know, scouts aren't all that hung up on stats in high school.

What scouts see with Small is a LHP that can throw in the high 80's and low 90's with a big frame. He recently pitched in front of 15-20 scouts- but he allowed six runs and lost the game.

But with him kind of like Burdick, it sounds to me like he is a guy that just wants to go play pro baseball.

Todd4State
04-11-2015, 06:15 PM
That's a serious case of optimism.

Maybe. I think when it's all said and done ultimately we lose 2-3 guys.

Homedawg
04-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Maybe. I think when it's all said and done ultimately we lose 2-3 guys.

I think that's fair. 4 is possible. 5 would hurt. 6 a tragedy. Pickett isn't going to be here.

MsStateBaseball
04-11-2015, 08:08 PM
99 percent to go are Pickett and Small. Pickett 1st or 2nd rounder. From what I seen on twitter with Small, he could be 40th rounder and he gone.

We really really need Marrero and any other pitcher to go to college.

Riley will go to college, way too many friends will beg him to go to Starkville.

But you know scouts will make that call to the family in late May and ask them collectively, if we draft you ???? Will you sign? Yes and no question. So we call tell as the draft proceeds who will go to college. For example, Jesse McCord said I am going to college and he wasn't even drafted. Ranked 200 in the nation.

HancockCountyDog
04-11-2015, 08:53 PM
I don't think Fenter ends up here. I have no info on the rest.

Bully13
04-12-2015, 08:46 AM
I think an interesting stat would be to evaluate what college programs are able to retain more of their croots despite them being high draft picks. what are some of the advantages other programs have over others in enticing the players to stick with college a few years in lieu of going straight into pro ball?

also, what's the rule about once a player steps on the field in a college game in regards to how much time he has to wait before he can sign with a pro team?

Backspin
04-12-2015, 10:53 AM
The rule is you are eligible for the draft 3 yrs after HS graduation. If you redshirt your freshman year, which many do, you are eligible after your RS sophomore year.

Homedawg
04-12-2015, 10:56 AM
The rule is you are eligible for the draft 3 yrs after HS graduation. If you redshirt your freshman year, which many do, you are eligible after your RS sophomore year.

Or when you turn 21. So it's possible to be eligible after your soph year.