PDA

View Full Version : Weekend C&D Thread 4/10-12

BeastMan
04-10-2015, 11:01 AM
It's the weekend again and the weather is looking rainy. I'm sure there will be plenty of cooking. Me, on the other hand, I'm taking my rain suit and going to da water and hiding in da marsh. My dad is a day ahead of me and had a 2-man limit of trout by 10am and is working on reds now. T-man is on board with him and that dude is the best fisherman I've ever fished with. I'll be joining the party tomorrow.

SapperDawg
04-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Traveling to Japan for work through the next weekend, so while no cooking, should be plenty of interesting eating going on.

BrunswickDawg
04-10-2015, 01:16 PM
Beast - sounds like you should be grilling or frying fish this weekend.

It will be an "eating out" weekend again for me due to travel. Best sushi on St. Simons tonight at Fancy Q. BD, Jr. is banging drums in the South GA Regional Honor Band in Valdosta tomorrow, so dinner will probably be pizza. Sunday, I fly to Austin for a Monday morning job interview - potential employer is taking me to the Salty Sow. I don't fly out until Tuesday, so Monday night will probably be at the Salt Lick - because of this -> https://insidenanabreadshead.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/salt-lick-meat.jpg

SapperDawg
04-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Love some Salt Lick! Don't pass up the Kreuz Market in Lockhart, it's actually a pretty easy jaunt down there from the airport.

BeastMan
04-10-2015, 03:09 PM
That looks awesome. I need to know more about this salt lick

SpeckleDawg
04-10-2015, 06:34 PM
That looks awesome.

Backstrap and sausage on the grill, sweet potatoes in the oven.

BrunswickDawg
04-10-2015, 08:32 PM
That looks awesome. I need to know more about this salt lick
I'll try to post a review on Tuesday as I am flying back.

BrunswickDawg
04-14-2015, 01:09 PM
So i ended up meeting a couple of fellow Dawgs here in Austin last night for some Tex Mex and beer. It's always great seeing people you haven't seen in 15 years and picking right up where you left off.

Anyway, I spent my morning driving around looking at housing and headed southwest of town out to the Salt Lick for brunch. Their smoker (in the pic) is right inside the door, so the smell of all that deliciousness envelopes you when you walk in the door with familiar mesquite. I went whole hog and got "The Rancher", which has a sampling of sausage, turkey, ribs, and brisket. The sausage, turkey and ribs were all well worth the 30 minutes drive from downtown. However, the brisket was surprisingly average. I had much better brisket Sunday night at the Salty Sow in East Austin. They had a Mixed Grill special of duck, brisket, pork belly, and sausage over stone ground grits that was f' in awesome. Also got to hit the Scholz Garten Biergarten for lunch. Definitely put that on your list when in town. Great brat with kraut. All in all, I enjoyed my taste of Austin.

FISHDAWG
04-14-2015, 02:09 PM
So are we going to have to call you AustinDawg now ? Never been to Austin but I spent a fair amount of time in Bruinswick / Jeykl Island and liked the area

BrunswickDawg
04-14-2015, 04:32 PM
So are we going to have to call you AustinDawg now ? Never been to Austin but I spent a fair amount of time in Bruinswick / Jeykl Island and liked the area
Fish - were you chasing Kings or Reds in my waters? If you've been on Jekyll anytime in the past 15 years, you probably admired some of my work and didn't even know it! I have loved Bwk and JI, but left my post on JI in February needing a change. Im a finalist for a job that would be too good to pass up if the money works out. Been a crazy few weeks leading up to this.

FISHDAWG
04-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Reds ... Jekyl will always be one of my favorites. Good luck on the job

BrunswickDawg
04-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Red fish on Jekyll Creek is one of the hidden gems. Catching the whiting on the right tide - or black tip fishing in the hole down at St. Andrews Sound is easy fun. Job isn't going to work out, but landed a good local gig this morning and will be ending my "Summer of George" in 2 weeks.