PDA

View Full Version : Last night's Matchup of 2 potential MSU Baseball signees

Bama_Dawg
04-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Last night I watched Pilkington and Robbins go at it last night (both lefties):

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2015/04/prep_baseball_george_county_de.html

From the last count there were 15 pro scouts and countless college scouts in attendance. Yes, MSU was there too. Here are some of my thoughts after seeing the two go toe to toe:

Both can hit, Robbins is a line drive, selective hitter and can work the count. Pilkington almost put 2 out of the ball park, both were towering shots, but still didn't sound like he got all of them.

Pitching, although the score doesn't show it, I give the edge to Pilkington, still (call me a homer). He has a workman like demeanor and doesn't get shaken. At one point the first two batters reached base, and he struck out the next 3, it seemed like he hit a different gear. Pilkington's problem last night was his fastball was up in the zone (clocking in the high 80s) and after going through the lineup once, the George County hitters sat waiting on the fast, straight one. Then they made him pay. He struck out 8 in 5 innings and gave up 11 hits and 5 runs.

Robbins is an emotional pitcher, probably most likely a great relief guy. He got visibly shaken a couple times, but maybe some maturity over the next year will help. His fastball was clocking consistently in the mid 80s. His curveball was coming it at 70...a big speed difference. George County seemed to manage the pitches a bit better and mixed it up, confusing the East Central hitters. They never could sit waiting on one pitch. He gave up 4 hits in 5 innings, with 8Ks and gave up a balked in run.

One thing that was blatantly evident is that both teams played like they knew scouts were there. They were very tight and pressed probably when they shouldn't have.

The MSU scout mentioned that he'd like both of these guys on the team today (heh, yeah, I'll bet).

MsStateBaseball
04-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Great job thanks. I expect both to show up on campus. Who was the State guy?

Bama_Dawg
04-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Great job thanks. I expect both to show up on campus. Who was the State guy?

I didn't ask his name. I talked to several guys last night from various colleges/scouting agencies. Just chit/chat, I know they are working...kinda.

MsStateBaseball
04-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Gotcha. The talent level will go up dramatically over the next two years.

Bama_Dawg
04-10-2015, 11:58 AM
I think so too, Pilkington is underrated in my opinion. He's got a tremendous breaking ball and his demeanor on the mound is what you want out of a starter/long relief guy. I could see him being a Ross Mitchell type guy for us in the future.

SapperDawg
04-10-2015, 01:17 PM
.... I give the edge to Pilkington, still (call me a homer).....

Does this make you an EC alum? I happen to know of a few others on the board.....

SouthMsDawg
04-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Gotcha. The talent level will go up dramatically over the next two years.

IF AND ONLY IF we can get them to turn down 10-35 round money. It seems that even a $40K signing bonus us enough to keep kids from coming to State.

Homedawg
04-10-2015, 02:49 PM
IF AND ONLY IF we can get them to turn down 10-35 round money. It seems that even a $40K signing bonus us enough to keep kids from coming to State.

Like who???? We lost a ss from Missouri a couple of years ago and that's the only one I remember. Burdick wanted to play pro ball. He got over 100. So what are you talking about. Other than just being negative for the sake of it. We are going to lose some guys in this draft. I'm prepared for it. But we won't lose them all.

BorneDawg
04-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Luke Alexander will be coming in next year to! Kid is a great can smash it both sides.

Bama_Dawg
04-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Does this make you an EC alum? I happen to know of a few others on the board.....

You got it Sapper...

Todd4State
04-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Last night I watched Pilkington and Robbins go at it last night (both lefties):

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2015/04/prep_baseball_george_county_de.html

From the last count there were 15 pro scouts and countless college scouts in attendance. Yes, MSU was there too. Here are some of my thoughts after seeing the two go toe to toe:

Both can hit, Robbins is a line drive, selective hitter and can work the count. Pilkington almost put 2 out of the ball park, both were towering shots, but still didn't sound like he got all of them.

Pitching, although the score doesn't show it, I give the edge to Pilkington, still (call me a homer). He has a workman like demeanor and doesn't get shaken. At one point the first two batters reached base, and he struck out the next 3, it seemed like he hit a different gear. Pilkington's problem last night was his fastball was up in the zone (clocking in the high 80s) and after going through the lineup once, the George County hitters sat waiting on the fast, straight one. Then they made him pay. He struck out 8 in 5 innings and gave up 11 hits and 5 runs.

Robbins is an emotional pitcher, probably most likely a great relief guy. He got visibly shaken a couple times, but maybe some maturity over the next year will help. His fastball was clocking consistently in the mid 80s. His curveball was coming it at 70...a big speed difference. George County seemed to manage the pitches a bit better and mixed it up, confusing the East Central hitters. They never could sit waiting on one pitch. He gave up 4 hits in 5 innings, with 8Ks and gave up a balked in run.

One thing that was blatantly evident is that both teams played like they knew scouts were there. They were very tight and pressed probably when they shouldn't have.

The MSU scout mentioned that he'd like both of these guys on the team today (heh, yeah, I'll bet).

I love it! I really like both players a lot. Pilkington is a grinder. Robbins is probably the top junior LH pitcher in the state. I'm not sure if he will pitch or hit at MSU or do both.

Todd4State
04-10-2015, 04:53 PM

Reid Humphreys, Dakota Hudson, Paul Young, and Jacob Robson disagree. And Burdick got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than 40K to sign. He's a kid that wanted to play pro ball. Good for him. I think he would have been better served coming to MSU.

But hey, let's keep harping on the ONE guy that actually took the money and ran when our percentage of getting drafted players into school is probably around 75%.

Todd4State
04-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Luke Alexander will be coming in next year to! Kid is a great can smash it both sides.

I'm excited to see him play. If he can adjust quickly to college pitching, he could play a lot next year. Adjusting being the key word here.