PDA

View Full Version : Jamaal Clayborne

Dallas_Dawg
04-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Any report on how he has been snapping the ball? I know it's not live game action but we don't want to have exchange issues.
Clayborne is a definite upgrade in talent over Da Gut Stompah. Just has to get the calls down.

mcain31
04-09-2015, 06:42 PM
I haven't seen him make a bad snap at the practices that I've attended

Coach34
04-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Lots a good words being spoken about Calhoun

Ifyouonlyknew
04-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Clayborn will be an upgrade from Day.

msstate7
04-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Really interested in how much push our interior line (clayborn, Malone, and desper) will be able to generate against lsu in the 2nd game.

I suppose it's still desper, right?

messageboardsuperhero
04-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Really interested in how much push our interior line (clayborn, Malone, and desper) will be able to generate against lsu in the 2nd game.

I suppose it's still desper, right?

Our zone blocking scheme isn't as much about getting push as it is about opening holes and moving defenders over at the point of attack. There is a great picture from the LSU game last year someone posted that shows a big ass hole that J-Rob ran through- it shows a textbook example of what our OL should do.

Coach34
04-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Our zone blocking scheme isn't as much about getting push as it is about opening holes and moving defenders over at the point of attack. There is a great picture from the LSU game last year someone posted that shows a big ass hole that J-Rob ran through- it shows a textbook example of what our OL should do.

exactly- our holes are sideways- not pushing people backwards

msstate7
04-09-2015, 08:22 PM

Thanks. I guess what I should've said I'm interested if we can run up the middle on lsu. I would love to pound them with Dak and shump right up the gut

Coach34
04-09-2015, 08:25 PM

Barking 13
04-09-2015, 10:21 PM

ain't dat Purdy?

Dallas_Dawg
04-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Someone should photoshop at Mack truck driving through that hole

Coach34
04-10-2015, 09:15 AM
I said it last year- but I saw it with my own eyes last Spring. But based on what I'm hearing- this will be our best OL we've had yet under Mullen

BiscuitEater
04-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Any report on how he has been snapping the ball? I know it's not live game action but we don't want to have exchange issues.
Clayborne is a definite upgrade in talent over Da Gut Stompah. Just has to get the calls down.

Hey, I hope Clayborn makes the All SEC team and becomes an AA BUT your statement is WRONG. Hope the OL takes over games and we lead the SEC in rushing. But, if Clayborn is a 'definite upgrade in talent,' why didn't he beat out Day either of the last two years?

Day was signed, last minute & only after we lost out on a couple of others .. as a 2-star, 6-3, 230 OL. In 6 months in the gym, he gained 60#s and became the starting MSU C as a true Freshman. As a SO was named to Rimmington Watch List. He started for four years .. in the SEC.

Meanwhile, Clayborn was signed as a 3-star, 6-4, 315 OL. As a rising JR, he is still 6-4, 315 .. has YET to start a single game at MSU .. appeared in 7 games as a FR and 4 games as a SO.

So, please explain 'HOW' Clayborn is a 'definite upgrade in talent' over Dillon Day. Eager to hear your response.

BiscuitEater
04-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Clayborn will be an upgrade from Day.

Please explain .. have not seen a SINGLE report stating anything of the kind. Who is reporting this 'upgrade?' How is he an 'upgrade?'

thf24
04-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Hey, I hope Clayborn makes the All SEC team and becomes an AA BUT your statement is WRONG. Hope the OL takes over games and we lead the SEC in rushing. But, if Clayborn is a 'definite upgrade in talent,' why didn't he beat out Day either of the last two years?

Day was signed, last minute & only after we lost out on a couple of others .. as a 2-star, 6-3, 230 OL. In 6 months in the gym, he gained 60#s and became the starting MSU C as a true Freshman. As a SO was named to Rimmington Watch List. He started for four years .. in the SEC.

Meanwhile, Clayborn was signed as a 3-star, 6-4, 315 OL. As a rising JR, he is still 6-4, 315 .. has YET to start a single game at MSU .. appeared in 7 games as a FR and 4 games as a SO.

So, please explain 'HOW' Clayborn is a 'definite upgrade in talent' over Dillon Day. Eager to hear your response.

Seriously? Two words: senior experience. It should be a no brainer by now that Mullen prefers playing veterans over more talented but less experienced younger guys, unless the talent gap is too large to justify (Bear Wilson to name one).

Please explain .. have not seen a SINGLE report stating anything of the kind. Who is reporting this 'upgrade?' How is he an 'upgrade?'

Maybe someone else will elaborate for you, but if you pay attention to this board regularly, you should know that the post you quoted is all the report you need.

blacklistedbully
04-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Biscuiteater, I suspect the thought is that Clayborn is more naturally talented, with a higher ceiling than Day, and the expectation is he will reach that ceiling this year, now that Day has graduated.

IMO, Day is one of those guys who over-achieves through work-ethic and attitude. He stepped onto campus with a giant chip on his shoulder and that mean-streak you love to see in an O-lineman. He worked his way into becoming a stud center and the best on our team.

If Clayborn takes the expected step up, now that he's higher up the depth chart going into Spring, he may have the upside and potential to make him better. But he'll have to be willing to work like Day to get there. At least that's my opinion.

Coach34
04-10-2015, 09:39 AM

Because se we play Sr's over more talented underclassmen. Like Perkins over JRob

Ifyouonlyknew
04-10-2015, 09:56 AM

Clayborn is an upgrade from a physical standpoint. He's arguably the strongest guy on the team. People wonder about his being able to make the calls & reads well he's 1 of the smartest guys on the team also. The only thing that Day has over Clayborn is that nasty edge that he played with but we all know that's not a requirement for being a good OL. Are you really asking why a true Freshman didn't take the job of a guy going into his 3rd year starting? Day was very solid for us but the only thing on the field that Day had over Clayborn was experience. Clayborn has never started a game true but he's played plenty. Also it's not like Day was an all SEC player or anything. We loved him bc he was 1 of ours & the nastiness that he played with but he was a solid player nothing more. I stand by my statement that Clayborn will be an upgrade.

confucius say
04-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Because se we play Sr's over more talented underclassmen. Like Perkins over JRob

Dak and Chris jones approve this post. And I fear Gerri green will as well in six months.

BiscuitEater
04-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Seriously? Two words: senior experience. It should be a no brainer by now that Mullen prefers playing veterans over more talented but less experienced younger guys, unless the talent gap is too large to justify (Bear Wilson to name one).

you just proved my point .. IF Clayborn was THAT much more talented than Day .. he would have at least played more in his first two years. Mullen started Day at Center four years ago as a TRUE FR. Obviously, Mullen thought that he was the 'most talented' Center on the roster and couldn't justify playing anyone else at center for four years.

Hope the light 'comes on' for Clayborn. He now has two years of experience and I can see his 'potential' .. guess we will all have to wait and see about the 'more talented' part.

mic
04-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Clayborn is an upgrade from a physical standpoint. He's arguably the strongest guy on the team. People wonder about his being able to make the calls & reads well he's 1 of the smartest guys on the team also. The only thing that Day has over Clayborn is that nasty edge that he played with but we all know that's not a requirement for being a good OL. Are you really asking why a true Freshman didn't take the job of a guy going into his 3rd year starting? Day was very solid for us but the only thing on the field that Day had over Clayborn was experience. Clayborn has never started a game true but he's played plenty. Also it's not like Day was an all SEC player or anything. We loved him bc he was 1 of ours & the nastiness that he played with but he was a solid player nothing more. I stand by my statement that Clayborn will be an upgrade.

I agree. Also Clayborn played Guard his freshman year behind a NFL starter...

Really Clark?
04-10-2015, 10:06 AM
While I agree that Claybourn has more talent, Day was not the starter just because he was older. He was a better football player because of determination and experience. Day was the better center between the two and that is why he started. Not because he was an upper classmen. And he started as an underclassman as well so there goes he only plays seniors vs more talented underclassmen. It has happened some but honestly looking back you have to weigh in J Rob's immaturity and unwillingness to block as a much bigger reason he didn't start over Perkins. A descision that is still questioned but now makes more sense now in a lot of ways. And he still has some growing up to do. And we can also list a ton of freshman or redshirt freshman that have played and started while Dan has been here. Heck look at Robert Johnson his senior year. His actual playing time diminished last year with the emergence of Wilson, Ross, Marrow, and Brown.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-10-2015, 10:07 AM
you just proved my point .. IF Clayborn was THAT much more talented than Day .. he would have at least played more in his first two years. Mullen started Day at Center four years ago as a TRUE FR. Obviously, Mullen thought that he was the 'most talented' Center on the roster and couldn't justify playing anyone else at center for four years.

Hope the light 'comes on' for Clayborn. He now has two years of experience and I can see his 'potential' .. guess we will all have to wait and see about the 'more talented' part.

You do realize that Day didn't start as a true freshman. He started as a rs freshman after Tobias Smith tore his ACL & Dan had to move Saulsberry to OG. Dan didn't think he was the most talented center on the roster he just had his hand forced. Day took the job & did a good job but the comparison well there isn't 1.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-10-2015, 10:09 AM
While I agree that Claybourn has more talent, Day was not the starter just because he was older. He was a better football player because of determination and experience. Day was the better center between the two and that is why he started. Not because he was an upper classmen. And he started as an underclassman as well so there goes he only plays seniors vs more talented underclassmen. It has happened some but honestly looking back you have to weigh in J Rob's immaturity and unwillingness to block as a much bigger reason he didn't start over Perkins. A descision that is still questioned but now makes more sense now in a lot of ways. And he still has some growing up to do. And we can also list a ton of freshman or redshirt freshman that have played and started while Dan has been here. Heck look at Robert Johnson his senior year. His actual playing time diminished last year with the emergence of Wilson, Ross, Marrow, and Brown.

I wasn't saying that Clayborn should've started over Day last year or his freshman year. What I am saying is that now as a Jr with his 3rd year in the program that Clayborn will be better than Day was last year.

thf24
04-10-2015, 10:13 AM

Day started as a true freshman because the talent gap was skewed in the other direction at that time. We still had significant depth issues on the OL. Do you think a true freshman Day would have started at center last year?

Coach34
04-10-2015, 10:14 AM
you just proved my point .. IF Clayborn was THAT much more talented than Day .. he would have at least played more in his first two years. Mullen started Day at Center four years ago as a TRUE FR. Obviously, Mullen thought that he was the 'most talented' Center on the roster and couldn't justify playing anyone else at center for four years.Hope the light 'comes on' for Clayborn. He now has two years of experience and I can see his 'potential' .. guess we will all have to wait and see about the 'more talented' part.Day did not start as a true freshman- he redshirted. And he only played as a R-Fr because there was literally nobody else. Crooms had left us bare

Really Clark?
04-10-2015, 10:16 AM
I wasn't saying that Clayborn should've started over Day last year or his freshman year. What I am saying is that now as a Jr with his 3rd year in the program that Clayborn will be better than Day was last year.

I agree with you and the ceiling is much higher for Clauborn. And our own DL should give everyone some peace that he is going to be good with how they speak of his talent. Just thought the idea that Day was starting just because he was an upperclassman was unfair to him as a player. Like you said Day's experience and nastiness is why he was the best option the last two years. But I also felt we would be in good hands with Clayborn and haven't really questioned our OL as a whole. I think this could even be a better line if it gels.

Coach34
04-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Exactly, as Dan pointed out, Day and Clausell were forced into starting roles during that awful 2011 season when we had all the OL injuries. They had no choice but to play- and got Relf's ass hurt

BiscuitEater
04-10-2015, 10:28 AM
You do realize that Day didn't start as a true freshman. He started as a rs freshman after Tobias Smith tore his ACL & Dan had to move Saulsberry to OG. Dan didn't think he was the most talented center on the roster he just had his hand forced. Day took the job & did a good job but the comparison well there isn't 1.

2011 TRUE FRESHMAN SEASON: Started nine games at center and appeared in all 13 games . . . Started at center the last eight games of the season . . . Graded out a champion four times (Kentucky, UT Martin, No. 3 Alabama, Wake Forest) . . . Recorded 31 takedowns on the season, including a season-high six vs. Louisiana Tech . . . Blocked for a running back who finished fourth in the SEC in rushing, while giving up the fifth-fewest sacks in the league . . .

Implies that he didn't start the year as the starting center .. BUT made 8 of his 9 STARTS to finish the season as a TRUE FRESHMAN. Must have beaten someone out .. or there was an injury. Don't recall.

thf24
04-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Must have beaten someone out .. or there was an injury. Don't recall.

Combination of both all along the OL, but you have to consider what the competition at each position was like then versus now. We had a redshirt freshman and a converted DT competing for the starting LT spot that spring on an SEC football team. That shows you just how bad our OL talent level and depth were then.

mic
04-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Clayborn played Guard his freshman season behind Gabe...
He moved to center last year.. Missed a few games and had some family issues..
Day was a solid 4 year starter at Center..
But Clayborn will be a talent upgrade .. He may not have the mean streak or get th max to his ability that Day did.. No knock on Clayborn that he didn't start last year..

And to add... Just talked to a guy who spoke with a coach from Louisiana who was in yesterday with lots of other coaches he said..
O-line looks real stout. Said we have big athletic dudes here.. And lots of athletes.. Very impressed...

Coach34
04-10-2015, 10:59 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Dillon-Day-90522Biscuit- more listening, less typing

Johnson85
04-10-2015, 11:00 AM
2011 TRUE FRESHMAN SEASON: Started nine games at center and appeared in all 13 games . . . Started at center the last eight games of the season . . . Graded out a champion four times (Kentucky, UT Martin, No. 3 Alabama, Wake Forest) . . . Recorded 31 takedowns on the season, including a season-high six vs. Louisiana Tech . . . Blocked for a running back who finished fourth in the SEC in rushing, while giving up the fifth-fewest sacks in the league . . .

Implies that he didn't start the year as the starting center .. BUT made 8 of his 9 STARTS to finish the season as a TRUE FRESHMAN. Must have beaten someone out .. or there was an injury. Don't recall.

I don't think Day took a year off or gray shirted, so I'm thinking they just have that incorrect and that he actually played as a redshirt freshman.

ETA: http://247sports.com/Player/Dillon-Day-2669
Unless he grayshirted, looks like they've got it wrong and it was his redshirt season.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-10-2015, 11:03 AM

His bio is wrong. Day was apart of the 2010 recruiting class. He RS the 2010 season then played as a RS FR in 2011. Day RS then he started the last 8 games of the season after Tobias Smith tore his ACL in the LSU game.

messageboardsuperhero
04-10-2015, 11:16 AM

I don't know what else to tell you man, but that bio is wrong. Day came in with the 2010 class, redshirted the 2010 season, then had to play as a RS freshman in 2011. It's not like Day was better than what we had that year either- he was FORCED into the lineup because of injury. The coaches had no intention of starting him in 2011 until people in front of him got hurt.

Day was a very good player for us- but he's not as physically gifted or talented as Clayborn. We'll see if we miss Day on Saturdays this fall. That has yet to be determined.

BiscuitEater
04-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Day was a very good player for us- but he's not as physically gifted or talented as Clayborn. We'll see if we miss Day on Saturdays this fall. That has yet to be determined.

After further research .. Day started as a RS FR. My bad.

I still don't understand why Clayborn hasn't played more. He only appeared in 4 of 13 games last year. Was he injured?

thf24
04-10-2015, 11:51 AM
I still don't understand why Clayborn hasn't played more. He only appeared in 4 of 13 games last year. Was he injured?

Again, it's simply because our depth now is so much better. The fact that he played at all as a true freshman o-line shows how talented he is. He could have and would have played a much bigger role for us before now had he been here in the 2011 situation.

Coach34
04-10-2015, 11:55 AM
He also had a death in the family early last year that was really tough on him

mcain31
04-10-2015, 12:02 PM
At practice yesterday, I was surprised by Clayborn's strength. He stood up Nick James on several plays by himself

sandwolf
04-10-2015, 01:50 PM
.. as a 2-star, 6-3, 230 OL. In 6 months in the gym, he gained 60#s and became the starting MSU C as a true Freshman..

Where did you hear that he weighed 230# when he committed to us? I'm guessing that you pulled that number out of your ass, because I can't find anything that lists him under 260 and I would DEFINITELY remember if we had used up a scholarship on a 230# offensive lineman.

Covercorner2
04-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Where did you hear that he weighed 230# when he committed to us? I'm guessing that you pulled that number out of your ass, because I can't find anything that lists him under 260 and I would DEFINITELY remember if we had used up a scholarship on a 230# offensive lineman.

Not taking up for Biscuit's take that Day is the better, more talented FB player, as I believe Clayborn has more talent, but here you go:

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Dillon-Day-90522

Ifyouonlyknew
04-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Not taking up for Biscuit's take that Day is the better, more talented FB player, as I believe Clayborn has more talent, but here you go:

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Dillon-Day-90522

True that was his weight when his profile was made but if you read his commitment story it gives an accurate portrayal.

Several months ago Dillon Day received a verbal offer from Mississippi State with the stipulation that if he improved his grades and got bigger that it would turn into an official one. Day kept his end of the deal making the honor roll and bulking up from 237-pounds up to 291-pounds. The Bulldogs awarded his effort on national signing day and brought in the standout Louisiana offensive lineman.

Westdawg
04-10-2015, 04:00 PM
That article is a bit wrong on his weight. He was easily 260 his senior season. He would have been a bag of bones - or the most chiseled physique of any C ever - at 230.

BiscuitEater
04-10-2015, 04:30 PM

Go read it for yourself .. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/344/class/2010

He was listed as 6-4, 240 He was also the LAST player signed and was an -unrated 2-star. Measured the other day at 6-3, 299.

Dillon Day
Video | Scouts Report

OG West Monroe, LA
West Monroe High School 6'4'' 240

NR

Madisonmd
04-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Day actually played OT for West monroe. He was about 240 his Sr year and then put on weight after SR season. Some great stories of him just killing people in HS practices which obviously helped him get a scholarship. One story is of him destroying an LSU signee who was highly rated DE at the time. Clayborn almost lost his scholarship last year over his extended abscence from the team. He subsequently has gotten his game together and is doing better. Its a long story about the time missed but things are much better now.

Dawgcentral
04-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but y'all know the center calls the blocking schemes depending on what he sees as he gets over the ball right? Are we overlooking the possibility that Day simply had a better grasp of this as an upper classman?

What we face right now is an entire offensive line with less experience, yet more potential than we've had in the recent past. Day did a pretty good job with the tools he had, but seeing that Clayborn is said to be the strongest guy on the line, and since he has been appointed this role by the coaches on the scene and inside the works on a daily basis,..I can't see where there's a big argument against the assignment.

Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong in thinking all this speculation is anything more than blathering. I'll be glad to understand.

Coach34
04-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Look people:

Clayborn started out as a OG behind Jackson and played as a true freshman because the coaches thought that much of him
Last year they decided Desper needed to move away from Center to OG- Hev decided to move Clayborn to Center
Clayborn had a death in the family in August plus some other personal shit that had to be worked out that basically made him a non-factor for 2014

His talent has never been in question- as a matter of fact- its been thought that he is an NFL guy since he signed. Everything seems to be straight now as he enters his 3rd season and I think he is poised for a really good year

sandwolf
04-11-2015, 02:18 AM
True that was his weight when his profile was made but if you read his commitment story it gives an accurate portrayal.

Several months ago Dillon Day received a verbal offer from Mississippi State with the stipulation that if he improved his grades and got bigger that it would turn into an official one. Day kept his end of the deal making the honor roll and bulking up from 237-pounds up to 291-pounds. The Bulldogs awarded his effort on national signing day and brought in the standout Louisiana offensive lineman.

Yea, I knew there was no way he was that light when he signed.....that being said, I had no idea that he was that light at any point while we were recruiting him. That is pretty impressive.

sandwolf
04-11-2015, 02:47 AM
Go read it for yourself .. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/344/class/2010

He was listed as 6-4, 240 He was also the LAST player signed and was an -unrated 2-star. Measured the other day at 6-3, 299.

Dillon Day
Video | Scouts Report

OG West Monroe, LA
West Monroe High School 6'4'' 240

NR

While he was definitely a lot heavier than that when he signed, I will retract the comment about you pulling the number out of your ass. My apologies.