PDA

View Full Version : Is the debt paid yet?

msstate7
04-08-2015, 02:31 AM
Since we reached #1 in football, we're...

4-3 (3-2 sec) in football
13-19 (6-13 sec) in basketball
21-14 (5-7 sec) in baseball
_____
38-36 (14-22)

Keep in mind that our basketball and baseball schedules were ridiculously easy in OOC games. 2 of those football wins were vs very bad teams (ut Martin and vandy)

So, how much more losing must we expect to pay for our #1 ranking in football?

Ralph
04-08-2015, 02:40 AM
Fml

WPDawg
04-08-2015, 09:57 AM

_____
38-36 (14-22)

Keep in mind that our basketball and baseball schedules were ridiculously easy in OOC games. 2 of those football wins were vs very bad teams (ut Martin and vandy)

Debt? I enjoyed us earning our #1 ranking on the FB field. Going to be fun to watch us again this year to see if we can continue to compete on a high level. New Mens basketball hire is going to rekindle excitement for basketball. Womens BB team went to a new level and has potential to be better next year. Baseball was in WS two years ago and we almost won the whole thing. We are slumping this year but have some current kids who can play and potentially great add ins for next year. Enjoy the good stuff and take up fishing or something to spirit yourself during idle moments of MSU sports. Accept the fact that we will not go undefeated in every sport every year.

msstate7
04-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Accept the fact that we will not go undefeated in every sport every year.

I can accept not going undefeated. I'd say basketball and baseball seasons have been a far cry from not going "undefeated", no?

SS got rid of ray bc we should expect better. I took up for Ray bc I had let myself accept mediocrity. I don't wanna be like that anymore. I'm not calling for cohen to be fired; but if things don't change back to the good, he should be feeling some heat. There's no excuse to be this bad this year imo.

DistrictDawg92
04-08-2015, 11:12 AM
2 years from now could be really interesting for State fans. Howland will be two recruiting cycles deep and should have a handful of top 100 recruits on the roster. Baseball recruiting is as good as ever, the pitching woes should be solved 2 years from now with the development of the young arms we have now(hopefully) and we are also bringing in some stud arms. As far as football goes, as long as Mullen sticks to the plan I can't see us not being very competitive 2 years from now, we have depth like we have never had before, and it will only continue to improve. Can't forget about Women's basketball either, Morgan and Vivians will be Juniors, we should be legit elite 8 contenders. I think I can honestly say the future of our entire athletic department has never looked so bright. Howland, Mullen, Cohen and Vic are all very desirable coaches and none of them are going anywhere. Our entire brand has skyrocketed in the past few years, I know Strick has had some haters, but look what he has done and also maintained (10 years ago we lose a coach like Mullen in his second/third year).

GTHOM
04-08-2015, 03:58 PM
And in all 3 sports our coaches have been the biggest issues...

Barking 13
04-08-2015, 10:17 PM
2 years from now could be really interesting for State fans. Howland will be two recruiting cycles deep and should have a handful of top 100 recruits on the roster. Baseball recruiting is as good as ever, the pitching woes should be solved 2 years from now with the development of the young arms we have now(hopefully) and we are also bringing in some stud arms. As far as football goes, as long as Mullen sticks to the plan I can't see us not being very competitive 2 years from now, we have depth like we have never had before, and it will only continue to improve. Can't forget about Women's basketball either, Morgan and Vivians will be Juniors, we should be legit elite 8 contenders. I think I can honestly say the future of our entire athletic department has never looked so bright. Howland, Mullen, Cohen and Vic are all very desirable coaches and none of them are going anywhere. Our entire brand has skyrocketed in the past few years, I know Strick has had some haters, but look what he has done and also maintained (10 years ago we lose a coach like Mullen in his second/third year).

I was going to post something like this the other day... Not to mention golf and tennis, etc. Serious overall brand elevation - relevant

Todd4State
04-08-2015, 10:55 PM

Very good post, and I never really thought about it the way you put it.

Oh- I expect our pitching issues to be solved NEXT year much less two years from now.

Todd4State
04-08-2015, 10:59 PM

_____
38-36 (14-22)

Football- We had never been number one before and I honestly don't think the team handled it all that well. But that's understandable. I think we're going to be scary because we're hungry.

Basketball- Ray just couldn't get it done. The good news is basketball is probably the easiest sport to rebuild quickly in.

Baseball- Aside from the stretch where we got shut out three times in a row, the bullpen has let us down BIG time. Seven losses in games where we scored five or more runs pretty much tells the story there. It shows how important pitching is too. Kudos to Levi Mintz though.

Maroonthirteen
04-09-2015, 02:46 PM
The debt was paid with the horrible finish.

Then the spring break incidents.....that #1 feels as distant as 6-3.