PDA

View Full Version : New commit!!

MsStateBaseball
04-07-2015, 02:48 PM
RHP Alex Speas 6-3 180 of Powder Springs Ga. All 8 commits in top 500 of PG national rankings. Now we have top LHP and RHP in state of Georgia for class of 2016. See my blog for complete list later today.

SouthMsDawg
04-07-2015, 03:00 PM
None of these commitments mean anything if they never make it to campus. JMO

I'm hearing as many as 6 of our 2015 commitments wills get drafted and take the money.

MsStateBaseball
04-07-2015, 03:17 PM
I think another big lefty has committed but hasn't gone public. So I will wait.

Well we now have to sign as many high rated players as possible, if they sign so be it, move to the next year. The ones we keep will have great impact, we will keep some.

Homedawg
04-07-2015, 03:36 PM

I'm hearing as many as 6 of our 2015 commitments wills get drafted and take the money.

True, but you can't get em to campus if someone else signs them!!!

Drugdog
04-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Can he Bunt?**

Bothrops
04-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Damn that would really be tough luck to lose 6 guys from one class to the draft.

msstate7
04-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Damn that would really be tough luck to lose 6 guys from one class to the draft.

Look at the bright side... The mlb draft shouldn't affect our current team any haha

Homedawg
04-07-2015, 04:24 PM

We are big time over signed. We have to lose some and are prepared for it. Obviously we would like to hang onto some, which I think we will.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2015, 05:33 PM

Not true

MsStateBaseball
04-07-2015, 05:35 PM
The Dulin Dodgers/Rockies Scout Team scratched across a late run in the sixth inning to break a scoreless ballgame and eventually defeat the Atlanta Blue Jays, 1-0.

Von Watson (Cordova, TN, 2015) connected for an RBI line drive single to center in drive in the game's lone run for Dulin. He showed great power potential and the ability to stay inside the ball with a quick bat. Drake Frix (Plainville, GA, 2016) had the game's lone extra-base hit when he connected for a double to right field in the second inning, showing excellent power potential.

Southpaw Ethan Small (Lexington, TN, 2015) and Weston Bizzle (Lynn Haven, FL, 2017) combined to toss a seven-inning no-hit shutout for Dulin. Small displayed projectable stuff as a crafty lefty, throwing a fastball that ranged between 86-91 mph and topped at 92 mph and an 11/5 curveball at 76 mph. He collected 10 strikeouts in 5 perfect innings, starting the game with 6 straight strikeouts. Bizzle showed good use of his lower half and excellent arm action in his 2 innings of work in which he allowed a lone walk and struck out 3. his fastball sat between 87-89 mph and he threw a late-breaking curveball at 75 mph.

Atlanta Blue Jays starter Alex Speas (Powder Springs, GA, 2016) tossed 3 shutout innings, giving up a hit and a walk while collecting 7 strikeouts. His fastball ranged between 90-93 mph and he displayed an excellent 10/4 curveball at 78 mph. Zachary Shirey (Spring, TX, 2015) struck out 7 in 3 innings of relief for Atlanta. He showed an 88-90 mph fastball that topped at 91 mph. Morgan Foulks (Douglasville, GA, 2015) struck out a pair of hitters in an inning of relief, displaying an 84-88 mph fastball that topped at 89 mph with great arm side run.

I copied this from PG, this game was last October.

Todd4State
04-07-2015, 10:06 PM
We are big time over signed. We have to lose some and are prepared for it. Obviously we would like to hang onto some, which I think we will.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have some "good attrition" in the offseason.

Todd4State
04-07-2015, 10:12 PM

Odds are whoever told you that doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. That would be worst case scenario.

And we have to recruit players like this. We have to walk that fine line with the draft because that's what it's going to take to get us back to Omaha. We want guys that MLB wants also- which is why I am happy when I hear things like how MLB scouts like guys like Trysten Barlow, Kale Breaux, Ethan Small, etc.

Now, this particular recruit, Speas, is probably more of a risk than some of the guys that we have recruited in the past. He's more like a Chase Vallot, Greg Pickett type of risk. But again, we have to take some wise chances on guys like this because you never know if you will luck out and get him for whatever reason. I have seen video of him and he has a really good fastball and curveball. His mechanics need to be cleaned up a little bit- but not anything major.

Homedawg
04-07-2015, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we have some "good attrition" in the offseason.

We will for sure. Even w that attrition, we still have more scholarship money allocated than is available and that's by a lot. But that's part of it. It will all work out. We knew we weren't going to hang on to all these guys. Sign a bunch of em and hope you keep a few. Which we will

bulldogcountry1
04-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Whoever doesn't get drafted will need Tommy Johns surgery. That seems to be the way it works.

engie
04-08-2015, 12:07 PM
The #3 player in Louisiana in the class of 2017 committed as well. OF Jacob Pearson. Another guy that probably ends up being a draft risk.

smootness
04-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Even if 6 don't show up, we will bring in more top-end talent than any other class under Cohen. That's how good this 2015 class is.

Todd4State
04-08-2015, 06:30 PM
The #3 player in Louisiana in the class of 2017 committed as well. OF Jacob Pearson. Another guy that probably ends up being a draft risk.

The more I research him, the more I like him. He made all district as a freshman in Louisiana's largest HS league and hit 4 HR's to boot. He was hitting .400 as a sophomore with a home run and he can fly.

Homedawg
04-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Even if 6 don't show up, we will bring in more top-end talent than any other class under Cohen. That's how good this 2015 class is.

This man gets it.

MsStateBaseball
04-08-2015, 08:01 PM
The best LHP class in the SEC maybe in the nation.

Todd4State
04-08-2015, 08:42 PM
The best LHP class in the SEC maybe in the nation.

I think we lose Small most likely, but I think we get Breaux, Barlow, Padgett, and Pilkington. Small sounds like the kind of player that if he's drafted he's gone no matter what from what I am hearing. As crazy as it sounds, he may be more of a draft risk than Pickett even though he will likely get drafted lower.

jgunn
04-09-2015, 11:44 AM
I saw Austin Riley pitch last week against Southaven, 10-12 scouts there. I hope he makes it to campus. He's played several games at SS this year, looks like he's lost 15lbs or so since last year.