PDA

View Full Version : Spring Report

GTHOM
04-07-2015, 09:43 AM
I havent been to any practices or anything, just wondering what the news was. Anybody showing out? Players underachieving? Are we getting diaz's system well?

Political Hack
04-07-2015, 09:45 AM
yes.

maybe a few bodies on the OL.

Not yet.

mcain31
04-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Donald Gray and Gabe Myles look like they could game changers for us on offense. Nick James has slimmed down and has better motor than in the past.

Political Hack
04-07-2015, 09:57 AM
I heard you can't find Nick James without a jump rope in his hands. He's been working out non-stop. I think the light may have finally flipped all the way on for him.

GTHOM
04-07-2015, 10:08 AM
yes.

maybe a few bodies on the OL.

Not yet.

Who?

Our starters on the OL?

Its still early but that aint good. To our credit it is totally opposite than cover 2 and corner blitz sorry i meant geoff collins system

Homedawg
04-07-2015, 10:12 AM
I hope you guys remember manny corner blitzed a good bit too. So hope you don't stroke if you don't like the corner blitz.

Political Hack
04-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Manny will come from anywhere.

We're not as strong in the trenches on either side right now based on what I was told. The 2nd team DL has a significant drop off across the board... DT and DEs.

Finding 7-8 OL to rotate in SEC play could be difficult too, but I have a feeling (my own thoughts) that it will work out fine on this side of the ball. Having Dak and thumper at RB will help alleviate some of the OL issues.

Manny's scheme defies what most kids are taught. If you blitz you take a way the first option and trust them to get to the QB. Manny takes away the big play, blitzes, and trust his defense to "strike gold" at least once well enough to disrupt a drive. It's different conceptually than what these kids have been taught since they put on pads, so there's going to be some wide eyed bewilderment at first. I think that's natural, but once they see it start to work, they'll buy in quickly.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-07-2015, 10:33 AM
For the OL Rufus Warren & Deion Calhoun have been the 2 biggest surprises. I feel like Rankin will still take the LT job in fall camp but Rufus is playing like a SEC LT. If Rankin isn't starting it isn't bc he's a bust Rufus just wouldn't let go of the job. Our starting DL will be fine. Brown, Jones, Adames, & Jefferson. Between Calvin, Coleman, Dale, James, Thomas, Hoyette, F. Adams, & Moton I believe we'll fine 3 or 4 more guys who can give us some good snaps.

mic
04-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Nothing about the offense should worry anyone... Will be as good or better than it was last year..
I agree DL depth will be an issue.. But with Mannys scheme and the depth we have at LB and how good they are I am guessing we will see lots of different looks to make up for this.. Plus we all be getting a lot of DL help coming in with the 2015 class although they will be freshman I think a few will get snaps this year..

War Machine Dawg
04-07-2015, 10:58 AM
For the OL Rufus Warren & Deion Calhoun have been the 2 biggest surprises. I feel like Rankin will still take the LT job in fall camp but Rufus is playing like a SEC LT. If Rankin isn't starting it isn't bc he's a bust Rufus just wouldn't let go of the job. Our starting DL will be fine. Brown, Jones, Adames, & Jefferson. Between Calvin, Coleman, Dale, James, Thomas, Hoyette, F. Adams, & Moton I believe we'll fine 3 or 4 more guys who can give us some good snaps.

I've been a big fan of the Warren move. Converted TEs tend to have really good feet, which is crucial at the Tackles. If he's putting it all together, that could be a huge boost to the OL.

msstate7
04-07-2015, 11:02 AM
I've been a big fan of the Warren move. Converted TEs tend to have really good feet, which is crucial at the Tackles. If he's putting it all together, that could be a huge boost to the OL.

Hopefully, he's the next eric fisher. No pressure, Rufus haha

Johnson85
04-07-2015, 11:06 AM

What year is Warren now?

1bigdawg
04-07-2015, 11:21 AM
What year is Warren now?

Senior

jumbo
04-07-2015, 11:36 AM
If Rankin isn't starting it isn't bc he's a bust

good luck getting the internet geniuses to believe this Dan.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-07-2015, 11:39 AM
good luck getting the internet geniuses to believe this Dan.

Yea it won't happen but it is the truth. If I was betting money I'd still put it on Rankin but Rufus is a diff player this year.

Coach34
04-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Warren's ability has never been in question- it's motivation and grasp of scheme. Seems like he may be coming around

Irondawg
04-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Why has DE been such a problem for us to find depth. Seems like we are always thin there. Maybe Green can play some rush end snaps on passing downs

Political Hack
04-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Why has DE been such a problem for us to find depth. Seems like we are always thin there. Maybe Green can play some rush end snaps on passing downs

It's wild to me that RBs and LBs grow on trees in Mississippi, but we can't find a DE to save our lives. It took us 4 years to develop Preston Smith, only had McPhee for 2, etc., etc...

smootness
04-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Warren's ability has never been in question- it's motivation and grasp of scheme. Seems like he may be coming around

Or the fact that he gained a good bit of weight and was learning a new position in a short period of time?

smootness
04-07-2015, 01:17 PM

We've bulked up and moved most of our most talented guys inside. It's been a problem at times.

Some were naturally going to get bigger, but not every 250-pound HS kid becomes 300 with a better strength program.

Covercorner2
04-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Not to mention we have in the recent past gone to a huge front 7 on defense and emphasized size and length over speed. On the flip side, teams like OM have smaller front 7s and more DBs and emphasize speed. Guys that are 6'2+ and 230+ (BMac, Green, Harris, Wright, etc) in our defense play LB, whereas in other defenses they might would play DE (OM's CJ, Haynes, Shackleford).

We seem to prefer huge run-stopping DEs with length (Smith, Autry, Brown) over pure pass rushers. Whether that is the best theory is debatable.

sandwolf
04-07-2015, 01:26 PM
I heard you can't find Nick James without a jump rope in his hands. He's been working out non-stop. I think the light may have finally flipped all the way on for him.

That is fantastic news. He has the potential to be elite.......it's just a matter of getting his talent to translate to the field.

Coach34
04-07-2015, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=smootness;356503]Or the fact that he gained a good bit of weight and was learning a new position in a short period of time?[/QUOTE

he didn't gain that much weight and was already doing a lot of the same blocking drills before moving full time to OT. TE's work with the OL on blocking drills every day at practice.

sandwolf
04-07-2015, 01:31 PM
The 2nd team DL has a significant drop off across the board... DT and DEs.

Easily my biggest concern headed into next year. It's not the starting DL that concerns me.....it's the depth on the DL.

smootness
04-07-2015, 01:33 PM
he didn't gain that much weight and was already doing a lot of the same blocking drills before moving full time to OT. TE's work with the OL on blocking drills every day at practice.

Still a totally different position with different responsibilities. Not a shocker that he didn't move to OT and immediately start.

Coach34
04-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Not talking about starting- talking about his overall play as a whole. People are saying he has totally amped up his performance- regardless of position. Light turned on, realizes this is it...whatever description fits- his level of play has raised

chef dixon
04-07-2015, 02:11 PM
I expect JT Gray to be an absolute beast in Manny's system. The guy was a stud in limited action getting in the backfield even in Collin's system.

maroonmania
04-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Easily my biggest concern headed into next year. It's not the starting DL that concerns me.....it's the depth on the DL.

Yea, we could have really used a JUCO DT. Seemed like we missed on about 4 of them. Gotta hope that the quartet of Chris Jones, Nelson Adams, Nick James and likely Corey Thomas can be a sufficient foursome at DT.

Coach34
04-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Corey Thomas has until Sept 12th for his nuts to drop...we need him to play to his potential on that night and every Saturday thereafter

bulldawg28
04-07-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm not worried at all. Spring practice is more learning and technique. If the guys learn the systems and improve technique wise we're athletic enough with plenty of playmakers to dominate. Guys don't like to pulverize teammates consistently unless someone crosses a line. What I'm anxious to see is a leader draw a line in the sand on defense and dare a crossing. That's what needs to emerge this Spring.

MabenMaroon
04-07-2015, 06:40 PM
This thread reads about the same as it did this time last year, many folks worried about depth on the D-line, O-line cohesiveness, etc. etc.
Relax folks, it is gonna be alright, we will be as good ... no! we will be better on both sides of the ball this coming year.

Coach34
04-07-2015, 06:52 PM
I don't worry about the offense at all. I worry about defensive depth. Fortunately, we have this Spring and August to find it

MabenMaroon
04-07-2015, 07:48 PM
It is there and it will be found, just like last year. Might be a not very highly regarded player or two that blow up over the spring and summer, might be some of the new ones coming in, but do strongly believe that the depth is there and it will come out before kickoff next season.

Coach34
04-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Oh I'm not worried- we're an 8-4 team at worst. I'm just hoping the depth can get there on D and we can run at the West again

War Machine Dawg
04-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Oh I'm not worried- we're an 8-4 team at worst. I'm just hoping the depth can get there on D and we can run at the West again

If we can find some DL depth and our young Safeties step up, there's no reason for us not to take another run at the West. And I still think Kivon Coman is going to surprise a whole lot of people this year. The kid can flat play. I expect Evans to "start" but be quickly overtaken by Bryant or Peters. Assuming Dan stays out of Manny's way and we don't see more of the upperclassmen loyalty bullshit.

Political Hack
04-07-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm nervous that we might not win the west.

Maroons
04-07-2015, 10:00 PM
I was at the scrimmage Friday, and my thoughts are below. For the most part, I watched the offensive skill positions, especially the young guys.

- Not sure if they always practice this way, but the speed at which they ran plays was faster than I've ever seen us run.
- Both Dak and Fitz were in complete control. Fitz was really poised before the play and in the pocket. He was also very accurate. I'm more impressed every time I see him. Not sure that Staley eventually beats him out, but if he does, we are loaded at QB for the near future.
- Didn't run the QB's, so we threw the ball a lot. WR's are obviously deep and talented. I love Ross in the slot.
- Shump is the clear #1 RB. He looked a little quicker than last year. Aeris is thinner but quicker than I imagined. He got better as he got more carries. Could get decent PT later in the year.
- Dear is very good - nobody else like him on our roster. He's built like a tank, but he can move laterally and is explosive up the field. They were creative getting him the ball. He should play this year, even with our WR depth.

Like most others, my primary concerns are (1) defensive depth (except LB); (2) field goal kicking; and (3) Dan getting too cute at times. That said, our offense should be very, very good.

Todd4State
04-07-2015, 10:03 PM
I think Fletcher Adams is a wildcard on the defensive line. I have no idea what he will look like in August or what he will play though- DE, DT, or maybe even both and be a hybrid d-lineman?

I know Dan won't do it, but I would bulk up Gerri Green a little bit and make him a 250-260 pound DE and make him a DE. That way we could get the Brown brothers, JT Gray, and Green all on the field at the same time.

And I hope that Peters and McLaurin are starting by the end of the year at safety.

chef dixon
04-07-2015, 10:08 PM
I was at the scrimmage Friday, and my thoughts are below. For the most part, I watched the offensive skill positions, especially the young guys.

- Not sure if they always practice this way, but the speed at which they ran plays was faster than I've ever seen us run.
- Both Dak and Fitz were in complete control. Fitz was really poised before the play and in the pocket. He was also very accurate. I'm more impressed every time I see him. Not sure that Staley eventually beats him out, but if he does, we are loaded at QB for the near future.
- Didn't run the QB's, so we threw the ball a lot. WR's are obviously deep and talented. I love Ross in the slot.
- Shump is the clear #1 RB. He looked a little quicker than last year. Aeris is thinner but quicker than I imagined. He got better as he got more carries. Could get decent PT later in the year.
- Dear is very good - nobody else like him on our roster. He's built like a tank, but he can move laterally and is explosive up the field. They were creative getting him the ball. He should play this year, even with our WR depth.

Like most others, my primary concerns are (1) defensive depth (except LB); (2) field goal kicking; and (3) Dan getting too cute at times. That said, our offense should be very, very good.

I really got nauseous watching us try to run a 2 minute drill last season. Dak was painfully slow at it and it made a difference in both the Bama and Ole Miss game when we were down 2 scores in the 4th quarter.

War Machine Dawg
04-07-2015, 11:48 PM
I think Fletcher Adams is a wildcard on the defensive line. I have no idea what he will look like in August or what he will play though- DE, DT, or maybe even both and be a hybrid d-lineman?

I know Dan won't do it, but I would bulk up Gerri Green a little bit and make him a 250-260 pound DE and make him a DE. That way we could get the Brown brothers, JT Gray, and Green all on the field at the same time.

And I hope that Peters and McLaurin are starting by the end of the year at safety.

Please keep underestimating Coman and Bryant. Those two are going to be damn good. If we start 2 true freshmen at safety, we can kiss our season goodbye. One may start, and both may play, but they haven't done shit at the college level yet. It's a BIG jump from HS to the SEC, regardless of how talented you are. I know it's a different position, but look at Fournette: it took him half a season to adjust and he was the consensus #1 HS player in the nation. Peters and McLaurin are highly thought of, but not as highly as Fournette coming out of HS.

Todd4State
04-08-2015, 12:00 AM
Please keep underestimating Coman and Bryant. Those two are going to be damn good. If we start 2 true freshmen at safety, we can kiss our season goodbye. One may start, and both may play, but they haven't done shit at the college level yet. It's a BIG jump from HS to the SEC, regardless of how talented you are. I know it's a different position, but look at Fournette: it took him half a season to adjust and he was the consensus #1 HS player in the nation. Peters and McLaurin are highly thought of, but not as highly as Fournette coming out of HS.

If Bryant hasn't beaten out Evans, that scares me. Of course, it's probably Dan giving the upperclassman the right to start more than anything.

Coach007
04-08-2015, 08:16 AM

neither has Coman. He was beaten on a regular basis last year. Unless he makes a huge step forward, limit his time.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2015, 08:26 AM
neither has Coman. He was beaten on a regular basis last year. Unless he makes a huge step forward, limit his time.

I don't know why Coman keeps getting lumped in with Evans. Coman played fine last year & he will be our best safety this year. Mark my words.

Coach007
04-08-2015, 08:28 AM
I don't know why Coman keeps getting lumped in with Evans. Coman played fine last year & he will be our best safety this year. Mark my words.

Because he was burned a lot, or Evans wore his jersey..... A lot.

thf24
04-08-2015, 08:29 AM

I wouldn't say "regular basis." He got burned a few times last year, but who didn't? Like Dan says, he's not in the same league as Evans (who's just not an SEC player in terms of athleticism or smarts) and just needed time to get over his growing pains.

HancockCountyDog
04-08-2015, 08:30 AM

Safety is one of the most difficult positions to start as a freshman. So much of that position is mental, I just think we will rely on the experienced kids.

Really Clark?
04-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Because he was burned a lot, or Evans wore his jersey..... A lot.

You need to rewatch the games. He was not burned a lot.

Coach007
04-08-2015, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't say "regular basis." He got burned a few times last year, but who didn't? Like Dan says, he's not in the same league as Evans (who's just not an SEC player in terms of athleticism or smarts) and just needed time to get over his growing pains.

Just 100% disagree. Watch the Orange bowl. Huge plays given up by him. Every game he was in.

Coach007
04-08-2015, 08:49 AM
You need to rewatch the games. He was not burned a lot.

I have. Unless he is splitting time with a player wearing his number, he gets burned a lot. Maybe I have his number wrong.... 11 right.

Coach34
04-08-2015, 08:57 AM
It will take Peters half a season as well to make any kind of impact. And no- Coman was not burned alot. Having to come over and cover for someone else's ****-up is not "getting burned"

Coach007
04-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Lol... He got burned. And it was a lot. Out of position. It's fact.

engie
04-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Safety is one of the most difficult positions to start as a freshman. So much of that position is mental, I just think we will rely on the experienced kids.

Not as tough as we've made it look the past 4 years. Nickoe did just great in Diaz's system the first go round as a rsFR that missed most of his trFR year with an ACL. Nevermind that it was a brand new scheme at the time. That said, we still gave up some big plays -- but what I saw with Diaz at La Tech shows that he's learned alot since then.

Really Clark?
04-08-2015, 09:12 AM
I have. Unless he is splitting time with a player wearing his number, he gets burned a lot. Maybe I have his number wrong.... 11 right.

He is 11 alright and Evans is 17. Coman did not get burned like you think. Even in the Orange Bowl, Calhoun got beat bad on a play (looked liked blown coverage though with Evans). Evans and Jackson did as well. But with Jackson there were scheme issues. I know Love gave up the first touchdown but it was ok coverage (would have been PI on the play anyway though). Is that some of what you are seeing though? Blown coverage is not the same as getting beat. And Coman did a try to cover other people's mistakes after the fact.

Covercorner2
04-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Jamal Adams, Tony Connor, Quin Blanding, Landon Collins, and Shaq Thompson all performed at high levels as true freshmen...

Coach007
04-08-2015, 09:18 AM
He is 11 alright and Evans is 17. Coman did not get burned like you think. Even in the Orange Bowl, Calhoun got beat bad on a play (looked liked blown coverage though with Evans). Evans and Jackson did as well. But with Jackson there were scheme issues. I know Love gave up the first touchdown but it was ok coverage (would have been PI on the play anyway though). Is that some of what you are seeing though? Blown coverage is not the same as getting beat. And Coman did a try to cover other people's mistakes after the fact.

No, I'm seeing him blow his assignments. Sometimes people think he is cleaning up a play, when in fact he was late to his assignment. But, no need in arguing about it. I hope if he is the guy that he is the man back there. Would love to see it.

Westdawg
04-08-2015, 09:23 AM
several of those you just listed were used more in the DOG Safety role for most of their snaps - i.e., they were within 7 yards of the LOS acting more as a roving LB who blitzed the outside edge or came in the middle as run support behind a blitzing LB. Not taking anything away from those guys, but that is what a lot of those players you mentioned did. Tony Connor was a GREAT run support safety his first two years, and covered the slot one-on-one, but rarely was seen in actual safety coverage. And there was many times where he was way out of position when he did.

Political Hack
04-08-2015, 09:26 AM

our fans consistently blame the wrong guy in the secondary.

Coman is going to be ok. Market will be good once he's back as long as he's fully recovered. Evans is going to help with depth too. We've actually got a lot of decent bodies to throw out there. We don't have a bonified all-SEC type guy unless Market becomes Josh Morgan, but we've got 4-6 kids that have the potential to play with 4 of them having solid experience and 2 of them having elite talent. We'll find a mix so long as injuries don't hit us back there like they did last year.

DL depth is the only place for concern really... and FG kicking I suppose.

Really Clark?
04-08-2015, 09:32 AM
No, I'm seeing him blow his assignments. Sometimes people think he is cleaning up a play, when in fact he was late to his assignment. But, no need in arguing about it. I hope if he is the guy that he is the man back there. Would love to see it.

Evans blew assignments and the schemes but the players in bad positions. But between the two you honestly think Coman was beat and blew more assignments than Evans or Jackson? Sorry that's just not how me and several others on here see it.

Really Clark?
04-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Jamal Adams, Tony Connor, Quin Blanding, Landon Collins, and Shaq Thompson all performed at high levels as true freshmen...

But not even all of these guys started as a true freshman, depending on the school. Collins was a bench roll player and special teams his whole freshman year. Adams was mid season before he got a start. Shaq Thompson was the nickle back and only if they came out to start the game in nickle did he start. I hope our guys come in a light the world on fire but it may be a little while.

GTHOM
04-08-2015, 03:00 PM
If we can get just average safety play we will be fine. Just average, dont blow your assignment, come down and make a tackle or two. Dont have to be all sec or even good, just average. Anything beats last years safety play, not all on the players though, our DC quit on us or just flat out sucked

Political Hack
04-08-2015, 03:04 PM
If we can get just average safety play we will be fine. Just average, dont blow your assignment, come down and make a tackle or two. Dont have to be all sec or even good, just average. Anything beats last years safety play, not all on the players though, our DC quit on us or just flat out sucked

we play a cover two formation with our CBs in outside leverage. If we're giving up big pass plays with that, we've some serious, serious issues.

GTHOM
04-08-2015, 03:15 PM
we play a cover two formation with our CBs in outside leverage. If we're giving up big pass plays with that, we've some serious, serious issues.

Agreed, that was my point.

And the sad thing is we did do that last year, our coaches didnt do us any favors by sitting in a cover 2 in the biggest game of the year either.

Oh yeah and zach jackson 1 on 1 with slots and athletic TE's over and over again was embarassing. totally on our coaches.

Nothing against jackson hes going to play this year i just dont want to see that ever ever again

Bothrops
04-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Our defense may not be much improved until 2016. But I think the safety group will be a strong suit in the following 2 to 3 seasons. I'm more worried about getting pressure to the qb this year.

Coach34
04-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Our defense may not be much improved until 2016. But I think the safety group will be a strong suit in the following 2 to 3 seasons. I'm more worried about getting pressure to the qb this year.

I dont expect Manny to stand around with his thumb in his ass and just rush the front 4 to get pressure

Bothrops
04-08-2015, 05:52 PM
I'm glad we got Manny, I think he will bring the D around, in time.

Coach007
04-08-2015, 05:52 PM

The over the top help was an issue with 1bs. Majorly out of position. Alot

Todd4State
04-08-2015, 06:37 PM
I will admit that Evans got burned more than Coman, but I don't care for either one of them. Just because one guy is horrible and one is below average doesn't make the below average guy awesome.

And let's not forget that Coman made the biggest tackle in the Egg Bowl- on our very own Chris Jones who was about to tackle the Ole Miss RB for a loss before said tackle took out Jones and allowed a 90+ yard TD run.

Political Hack
04-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Irvin-Sills, Coman, and Evans all have experience. Market & Bryant will help too. Then we're injecting two very talented guys for immediate depth if needed. Our CBs are good enough to not need a man over the top in a lot of match ups this year too. We can go zero coverage on the outside with outside leverage and not worry about giving up the big play. We're going to make the safeties jobs easy.

Also, we have two OLBs that we can send in, make it look like we're in a 4-3, and drop into what amounts to a nickle package. Our LB group personnel is so versatile it's going to take some of the pressure off the S's and the DE's.

GTHOM
04-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Irvin-Sills, Coman, and Evans all have experience. Market & Bryant will help too. Then we're injecting two very talented guys for immediate depth if needed. Our CBs are good enough to not need a man over the top in a lot of match ups this year too. We can go zero coverage on the outside with outside leverage and not worry about giving up the big play. We're going to make the safeties jobs easy.

Also, we have two OLBs that we can send in, make it look like we're in a 4-3, and drop into what amounts to a nickle package. Our LB group personnel is so versatile it's going to take some of the pressure off the S's and the DE's.

You really think so? Consistently? I wish it was that way

HancockCountyDog
04-09-2015, 09:57 AM

Totally agree with Redmond, but I'm not convinced on the other side.

I'm still having flashbacks of Ga Tech running two plays for like a million yards.

Political Hack
04-09-2015, 10:10 AM
We matched up a 5'8" corner on a 6'5" WR. They may as well have asked me to cover him.

Will is going to be about as "shut-down" as you can get in Manny's defense. We don't take away the underneath stuff so they'll be taught to give that up, but go back and watch the Bama game to get a feeling of how dominate he can be in a game. Saban and Kiffin didn't test a single time. Not once. They even ran away from his side. They attacked the safeties and stayed away from our play makers.

Overall, I think our CBs are going to be much, much better this season. Will will get more than 50% of the snaps now. Cleveland is long and athletic. He'll be solid with outside leverage. And we get Jiles back too. Plus we're adding an elite athlete like Smokey to the package. We should be pretty damn good outside... as in top half of the SEC West type good.

Safeties, DL depth, and Kicker is where we need to see them develop.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-09-2015, 10:18 AM
We matched up a 5'8" corner on a 6'5" WR. They may as well have asked me to cover him.

Will is going to be about as "shut-down" as you can get in Manny's defense. We don't take away the underneath stuff so they'll be taught to give that up, but go back and watch the Bama game to get a feeling of how dominate he can be in a game. Saban and Kiffin didn't test a single time. Not once. They even ran away from his side. They attacked the safeties and stayed away from our play makers.

Overall, I think our CBs are going to be much, much better this season. Will will get more than 50% of the snaps now. Cleveland is long and athletic. He'll be solid with outside leverage. And we get Jiles back too. Plus we're adding an elite athlete like Smokey to the package. We should be pretty damn good outside... as in top half of the SEC West type good.

You didn't even mention the other starting CB. Calhoun & Redmond will be 1 of the top CB duos in the SEC.

Political Hack
04-09-2015, 10:37 AM
You didn't even mention the other starting CB. Calhoun & Redmond will be 1 of the top CB duos in the SEC.

very true. I almost didn't mention Will either, but then went back and added him. Those two are going to be pretty reliable and take over 65%+ of the snaps on the outside I'd imagine.

NCDawg
04-09-2015, 12:17 PM

Yeah, Cleveland is long and athletic, but hopefully he will learn to tackle instead of trying to push a guy out of bounds like he did in the Kentucky game.

Political Hack
04-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Yeah, Cleveland is long and athletic, but hopefully he will learn to tackle instead of trying to push a guy out of bounds like he did in the Kentucky game.

that's the difference between a young talented guy that hasn't played a lot of snaps and an old experienced guy who has.

mic
04-09-2015, 07:32 PM

Agree... And everyone forgets about Jiles... If he stays health he is an SEC corner.... Also don't sleep on Jamoral at CB.. He is going to push hard to get playing time.....

engie
04-09-2015, 08:20 PM

He's caught wayyyy too much grief about one blown play in a game we won. Cleveland hasn't messed up much -- and he sure wasn't picked on any more than any of our other DBs last year...

It's going to be glorious to behold just how good Will and Calhoun can be when they can jump routes knowing they have safety help over the top...

Barking 13
04-09-2015, 10:24 PM
He's caught wayyyy too much grief about one blown play in a game we won. Cleveland hasn't messed up much -- and he sure wasn't picked on any more than any of our other DBs last year...

It's going to be glorious to behold just how good Will and Calhoun can be when they can jump routes knowing they have safety help over the top...

fingers crossed.....

War Machine Dawg
04-10-2015, 10:03 AM

This. Cleveland is going to be a stud.

mic
04-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Quote from a coach from high school in Louisiana today that was at our practice..

Oline looks stout
We have big athletic dudes here
Lots of speed
Very impressed

Ifyouonlyknew
04-10-2015, 11:12 AM

Our fans do this to our guys way too often. Cleveland can't tackle or cover bc of that 1 KY play. Derrick Milton was a fumbling machine even though he only fumbled twice in his career. We just remember those fumbles so well. Joe Morrow still gets called stone hands even though he didn't drop 1 pass last year. We have a strange problem with not letting things that guys do when they're young here go.

Really Clark?
04-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Our fans do this to our guys way too often. Cleveland can't tackle or cover bc of that 1 KY play. Derrick Milton was a fumbling machine even though he only fumbled twice in his career. We just remember those fumbles so well. Joe Morrow still gets called stone hands even though he didn't drop 1 pass last year. We have a strange problem with not letting things that guys do when they're young here go.

Don't forget how bad Coman is at safety, getting beat all year and always blowing his coverage.

Tripp McNeely
04-10-2015, 11:45 AM

Agree with most of that except for the Milton part...our coaching staff obviously felt the same way as the fan base. Derrick wasn't really pushed that hard to return...you should know that better than anybody coach.

Coach34
04-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Quote from a coach from high school in Louisiana today that was at our practice..

Oline looks stout

people are about to start catching on that Mullen REALLY does start Sr's with lesser talent over younger guys with more talent if it's reasonably close because those Sr's have paid their dues. We have more actual talent on the OL this year than last

Ifyouonlyknew
04-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Agree with most of that except for the Milton part...our coaching staff obviously felt the same way as the fan base. Derrick wasn't really pushed that hard to return...you should know that better than anybody coach.

Our coaches not pushing him to return doesn't mean he didn't fumble but twice in a game.

War Machine Dawg
04-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Our coaches not pushing him to return doesn't mean he didn't fumble but twice in a game.

He fumbled way more than twice. We were just fortunate enough to only have two recovered by opponents. And it wasn't about his in-game fumbles as much as that he was doing it repeatedly in practice. If he wasn't Butterfingers, he wouldn't have been behind J-Rob and pushed out the door to create room. C'mon, Dan, just admit what all of us already know.