PDA

View Full Version : If Howland is half as good

Coach007
04-06-2015, 10:25 PM
As these 2 coaches tonight, we will all be happy. Coach K did a great job with oklafor out. Seriously enjoined every minute of this game.

NCDawg
04-06-2015, 10:48 PM
I agree Coach K is a heck of a good coach, but he also has recruited a vast amount of talent. He had quite a few freshmen in his starting lineup. Duke in basketball is kinda' like Alabama in football. Year after year, they bring in bucket loan of talent.

msstate7
04-06-2015, 10:50 PM
I agree Coach K is a heck of a good coach, but he also has recruited a vast amount of talent. He had quite a few freshmen in his starting lineup. Duke in basketball is kinda' like Alabama in football. Year after year, they bring in bucket loan of talent.

Didn't coach k give the first kid that left from duke early a hard time? Who was that player?

NCDawg
04-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Didn't coach k give the first kid that left from duke early a hard time? Who was that player?

I'm not really sure. I don't keep up with them that much. I've heard he is a very demanding coach however.

Reason2succeed
04-06-2015, 11:21 PM
Not a big time basketball fan but from what I see college coaching is about 1)recruiting and 2) situational coaching especially in the last minutes of the games. Stansbury could recruit but was often out-coached in the waning moments of games.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-06-2015, 11:21 PM
Yea Duke took a page out of Cal book this year building his team around 1 & done guys. It paid off for him.

msstate7
04-06-2015, 11:24 PM
I'm not really sure. I don't keep up with them that much. I've heard he is a very demanding coach however.

Corey maggette maybe. Anyway, I remember coach k and ex-duke players giving the kid hell for leaving early. Guess coach k has gotten off his high horse now...

CottonDog
04-07-2015, 07:05 AM
Corey maggette maybe. Anyway, I remember coach k and ex-duke players giving the kid hell for leaving early. Guess coach k has gotten off his high horse now...

I saw an interview earlier this year where he admitted this. He said he didn't like the one and done and wasn't recruiting them, until he realized those guys were the ones beating him every year. He realized he needed to get with the times.

BulldogBear
04-07-2015, 07:50 AM
I saw an interview earlier this year where he admitted this. He said he didn't like the one and done and wasn't recruiting them, until he realized those guys were the ones beating him every year. He realized he needed to get with the times.
Yep, that interview needs to be Twitter spammed to the ncaa rules committee. It's time for change.

Coach34
04-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Not a big time basketball fan but from what I see college coaching is about 1)recruiting and 2) situational coaching especially in the last minutes of the games. Stansbury could recruit but was often out-coached in the waning moments of games.

this all day

Stands wasn't a bad coach. We were always lazy in our zone offense and jacked up too many 3's- but overall he was decent. My problem is and always was that Stands would ALWAYS make coaching mistakes at crucial times (like zoning Duke when everybody in the world knows you don't do that) and his lack of discipline always hurt at the ends of games vs good teams. The University of Stands always wants to blame refs and such vs Kentucky in the Tourney- but they don't want to discuss all the turnovers and missed FT's in the last 2-3 mins of those games that led to bad endings. He didn't have bad luck in the NCAA Tourney- he made bad decisions that cost him games. But let me say- a lot of coaches are like that- you have your top tier guys- and then there is everybody else. But there is a reason nobody is hiring Stands as their HC- and it ain't hard to figure out.

Howland has been a top coach everywhere he has been and State will be no different. He needs to get some players in and he can do the rest.

sandwolf
04-07-2015, 08:53 AM
this all day

Stands wasn't a bad coach. We were always lazy in our zone offense and jacked up too many 3's- but overall he was decent. My problem is and always was that Stands would ALWAYS make coaching mistakes at crucial times (like zoning Duke when everybody in the world knows you don't do that) and his lack of discipline always hurt at the ends of games vs good teams. The University of Stands always wants to blame refs and such vs Kentucky in the Tourney- but they don't want to discuss all the turnovers and missed FT's in the last 2-3 mins of those games that led to bad endings. He didn't have bad luck in the NCAA Tourney- he made bad decisions that cost him games. But let me say- a lot of coaches are like that- you have your top tier guys- and then there is everybody else. But there is a reason nobody is hiring Stands as their HC- and it ain't hard to figure out.

Howland has been a top coach everywhere he has been and State will be no different. He needs to get some players in and he can do the rest.

The one loss that I would say could at least partly be attributed to bad luck was that damn 2004 loss to Xavier. I am sure that there were some things that Stans could have done differently throughout the game, but those ****ers were on fire that game......everything they threw up went in. Damn that was such a gut wrenching loss....I felt like we were a legitimate Final 4 team that year.

War Machine Dawg
04-07-2015, 09:24 AM
The one loss that I would say could at least partly be attributed to bad luck was that damn 2004 loss to Xavier. I am sure that there were some things that Stans could have done differently throughout the game, but those ****ers were on fire that game......everything they threw up went in. Damn that was such a gut wrenching loss....I felt like we were a legitimate Final 4 team that year.

2004 Xavier is the ONLY NCAAT game I give him a pass on. As you say, they couldn't f'n miss that day. Hell, I knew it was over when they hit the half court shot to end the half. We might as well have stayed in the locker room. But all the others - he screwed the pooch.

bluelightstar
04-07-2015, 09:48 AM
this all day

Disagree on blaming Stans on the 2010 Kentucky games. The first, we had a 7 or 8-point lead with about 2 to go -- and suddenly over the remainder of the game, we committed 8 fouls to Kentucky's 0. And in the SECT championship, I don't think the lane violation even needs to be rehashed.

Dawg Corps
04-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Yep, that interview needs to be Twitter spammed to the ncaa rules committee. It's time for change.

Agreed. Did anyone hear what Wisconsin's coach said post-game about not "renting players for a year"? Wisconsin is openly against the one-and-done phenomenon.

EDIT: We want Malik.

msstate7
04-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Agreed. Did anyone hear what Wisconsin's coach said post-game about not "renting players for a year"? Wisconsin is openly against the one-and-done phenomenon.

I could've sworn Wisconsin was recruiting diamond stone

msstate7
04-07-2015, 10:23 AM

I want Malik too. I have no problem with any team recruiting 1 and dones. What I do have a problem with is the hypocrisy of some of these coaches. Coach k used to think duke was above early entrees and now he's all in. How about a public apology to Corey maggette, coach?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-07-2015, 10:26 AM
I could've sworn Wisconsin was recruiting diamond stone

He was & would've loved to have him. Stone is a 1 & done guy & Bo Ryan was all in for him. Frustration got the best of him last night but the reason he doesn't "rent" players is because none of those guys choose Wisconsin.

shoeless joe
04-07-2015, 10:34 AM
2004 Xavier is the ONLY NCAAT game I give him a pass on. As you say, they couldn't f'n miss that day. Hell, I knew it was over when they hit the half court shot to end the half. We might as well have stayed in the locker room. But all the others - he screwed the pooch.

He still made some poor coaching decisions in that game that helped give them momentum before the miracle shot to end the half. If I remember correctly he did some mass subs, brought in guys that hadnt played important minutes all year, around the 4 minute mark when I believe we had the lead. We went a few possessions without a bucket, combined with their shooting, and that was pretty much all she wrote.

The one I'm more inclined to give him a pass on is the TX game in Dallas. That was a terrible job by the NCAA and we still had a huge comeback late, based on some good coaching decisions, and if Z doesn't travel we prolly win.

1bigdawg
04-07-2015, 11:18 AM

Bear, Unfortunately, it is the NBA collective bargaining agreement that governs this. The NCAA cannot "force" kids to play another year when they are eligible for the draft. In reality, the players union is behind the current rule and I do not understand why they would not want to wait three years like football as it would limit competition for them......

Coach34
04-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Disagree on blaming Stans on the 2010 Kentucky games. The first, we had a 7 or 8-point lead with about 2 to go -- and suddenly over the remainder of the game, we committed 8 fouls to Kentucky's 0. And in the SECT championship, I don't think the lane violation even needs to be rehashed.

I've posted it numerous times- but the last 2-3 minutes of that game we kept turning the ball over and missing the front end of 1 and 1's. It was our fault Kentucky won that game- not the refs. Our fault.

sandwolf
04-07-2015, 01:23 PM
I've posted it numerous times- but the last 2-3 minutes of that game we kept turning the ball over and missing the front end of 1 and 1's. It was our fault Kentucky won that game- not the refs. Our fault.

Yep. I remember being all bent out of shape about how 'the refs screwed us'......then some people started pointing out that our **** ups (seems like it was primarily missed free throws) in the last few minutes of the game were the only reason that we were in that position to begin with, and slowly but surely, I realized that they were right.

Dawg61
04-07-2015, 08:59 PM

What about the SECT game vs Kentucky when Stansbury successfully got a lane violation called on them and Jamont Gordon drilled a 30 footer to tie it and take it to OT which we won by like eight? Stansbury won that game for us.

RougeDawg
04-08-2015, 02:21 AM
He still made some poor coaching decisions in that game that helped give them momentum before the miracle shot to end the half. If I remember correctly he did some mass subs, brought in guys that hadnt played important minutes all year, around the 4 minute mark when I believe we had the lead. We went a few possessions without a bucket, combined with their shooting, and that was pretty much all she wrote.

The one I'm more inclined to give him a pass on is the TX game in Dallas. That was a terrible job by the NCAA and we still had a huge comeback late, based on some good coaching decisions, and if Z doesn't travel we prolly win.

This all day.^^^^^ Mass subbing was the worst thing Stans ever did during his tenure. We would get a nice double digit lead and he would sub 3-4 of the 5 starters at the same time, and the lead would dwindle to just a few points, if we were lucky. I never understood why he didn't sub 1 or 2 at a time and keep the momentum, but he would always do the "hockey line change" type subs and kill momentum, most times leading to a loss.

fishwater99
04-08-2015, 09:05 AM
He was & would've loved to have him. Stone is a 1 & done guy & Bo Ryan was all in for him. Frustration got the best of him last night but the reason he doesn't "rent" players is because none of those guys choose Wisconsin.

This..
Bo tried really hard to get Diamond Stone, but he left his backyard to go to Maryland? Wonder why$

Coach34
04-08-2015, 11:21 AM
What about the SECT game vs Kentucky when Stansbury successfully got a lane violation called on them and Jamont Gordon drilled a 30 footer to tie it and take it to OT which we won by like eight? Stansbury won that game for us.

That was a good win but you realize that Kentucky team went to the NIT that year right? Any win over Kentucky is a good one though