Callaspo 5
Simmons 6
Teheran 1

Guess fredi serious about platoons with Gomes and Chris Johnson sitting

msstate7
04-06-2015, 12:33 PM
12:20 PM
@DOBrienAJC
#Braves newcomer Maybin is here, not in lineup. Quentin was told he'd be DFA'd, did not have to fly here.
#Braves will designate for assignment Carlos Quentin, who has $8M salary. Hope that an AL team will show interest in picking up some $

cbrunt29
04-06-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm excited to see what Peterson can do.
I also like Callapso over C Johnson.

But is K Johnson really better than Gomes?

msstate7
04-06-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm excited to see what Peterson can do.
I also like Callapso over C Johnson.

But is K Johnson really better than Gomes?

Against a rhp probably so.

Interesting that fredi sat CJ bc CJ has hit Alvarez well

cbrunt29
04-06-2015, 12:59 PM
When Maybin is ready to play, I think we put him in CF and move Young Jr. to left

msstate7
04-06-2015, 01:18 PM
When Maybin is ready to play, I think we put him in CF and move Young Jr. to left
I want him in cf too

smootness
04-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Callaspo is garbage, I'm honestly not sure why he's even on the roster.

My guess is that CF will be more of a platoon than we want. Maybin should at least be given a shot to earn the job.

msstate7
04-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Peterson and markakis back to back singles = 1-0 braves

shoeless joe
04-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Put the barrel on the ball consistently and good things are going to happen.

Enjoyed seeing those nice approaches at the plate. All but one was a hard hit line drive/groundball

msstate7
04-06-2015, 04:20 PM
I can't think of any hitter not on the nats that I hate more than dee Gordon. He kills us. At least bethancourt gunned em down

cbrunt29
04-06-2015, 04:23 PM
I can't think of any hitter not on the nats that I hate more than dee Gordon. He kills us. At least bethancourt gunned em down
Carl Crawford is another one. He's a Braves killer.

cbrunt29
04-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Alvarez's pitch count is ridiculously low so far.

msstate7
04-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Alvarez's pitch count is ridiculously low so far. no strike outs. Hard to run up a pitch count putting everything in play

msstate7
04-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Tough part of Marlins order. Be careful julio

msstate7
04-06-2015, 04:32 PM
I love Peterson. I'd be thinking hard about moving peraza to cf

msstate7
04-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Simmons... Wow! Simmons and Peterson are going to be maybe the best ss-2b combo in mlb defensively

SapperDawg
04-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Simmons... Wow! Simmons and Peterson are going to be maybe the best ss-2b combo in mlb defensively

That was one hellova double play.

msstate7
04-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Markakis 2 rbi's in debut

shoeless joe
04-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Extremely poor AB there by freeman. He always struggles vs the fish but I'da liked to seen a little more in that spot.

msstate7
04-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Extremely poor AB there by freeman. He always struggles vs the fish but I'da liked to seen a little more in that spot.

Thought so too. Only k of the day

msstate7
04-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Teheran has been outstanding. I love the Marlins' lineup BTW. If morse hits, they're gonna be tough

smootness
04-06-2015, 05:14 PM
These 'no strikeouts!!' and 'manufacturing a run, sure is fun to watch!' memes from the announcers are going to get unbelievably old.

Is the ability to bring in a guy from 3rd with 1 out with 'productive outs' a good thing? Sure. Are you viable as an offense when it's what you depend on? Of course not.

Most Braves fans understand this will be a long year without much offense, and most are ok with that. It's going to become unbearable if we can't watch a game without being sold that this is a great new philosophy.

msstate7
04-06-2015, 05:17 PM
These 'no strikeouts!!' and 'manufacturing a run, sure is fun to watch!' memes from the announcers are going to get unbelievably old.

Is the ability to bring in a guy from 3rd with 1 out with 'productive outs' a good thing? Sure. Are you viable as an offense when it's what you depend on? Of course not.

Most Braves fans understand this will be a long year without much offense, and most are ok with that. It's going to become unbearable if we can't watch a game without being sold that this is a great new philosophy.

We have Teheran on the mound. They have a very good pitcher. I didn't have a problem with it

msstate7
04-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Well fredi left Teheran in there too long. Hopefully they only tie it

msstate7
04-06-2015, 05:41 PM
Wow... What a job by avilan and johnson

SapperDawg
04-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Three bad ABs by the 2-3-4 there.

msstate7
04-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Three bad ABs by the 2-3-4 there.

Wasn't pretty, but Dunn is hell on lefties. It would be nice to big rh bat, so we could move FF to 3rd, rh bat 4th, and markakis 5th

msstate7
04-06-2015, 06:07 PM
First save situation post-kimbrel

msstate7
04-06-2015, 06:16 PM
No kimbrel, no problem...

I was very impressed with jim Johnson and grilli. They really look like they have plenty left in the tank

shoeless joe
04-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Fun game to watch. I think .500 is a realistic goal. Some things def need to go their way but this will be a pesky team that can cause issues for top tier pitching. However, I'm not sure any long term sustained offensive success Is possible.

Extremely impressed with bullpen and Johnson in particular. His stuff is nasty.

Unlike the last couple of years this team is very likeable and the big time "gamers" in Gomes and pierzinski didn't even play.

msstate7
04-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Fun game to watch. I think .500 is a realistic goal. Some things def need to go their way but this will be a pesky team that can cause issues for top tier pitching. However, I'm not sure any long term sustained offensive success Is possible.

Extremely impressed with bullpen and Johnson in particular. His stuff is nasty.

Unlike the last couple of years this team is very likeable and the big time "gamers" in Gomes and pierzinski didn't even play.

Even if the season falls apart, Jim Johnson and grilli could land us some nice pieces if yesterday was a preview of their season

msstate7
04-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Braves lineup
Young Jr. CF
Peterson 2B
Markakis RF
Freeman 1B
Bethancourt C
K. Johnson LF
C. Johnson 3B
Simmons SS
Wood P

Bethancourt hitting 5th is weird to me. I'd rather see...

Young
Peterson
Markakis
FF
CJ
KJ
Simmons
Bethancourt

Really Clark?
04-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Braves lineup
Young Jr. CF
Peterson 2B
Markakis RF
Freeman 1B
Bethancourt C
K. Johnson LF
C. Johnson 3B
Simmons SS
Wood P

Bethancourt hitting 5th is weird to me. I'd rather see...

Young
Peterson
Markakis
FF
CJ
KJ
Simmons
Bethancourt

I'm of two minds with Bethancourt. I can see that teams are going to pitch around Freeman and go after whoever is behind him and they might see a lot of fastballs. That may benefit Bethancourt in that scenario but I do think it will be something that will be changed around a good bit.

msstate7
04-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Just resigned Matt Capps

msstate7
04-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Braves chase latos in 1st inning. 7-0

War Machine Dawg
04-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Offensive juggernaut. We're going to lead MLB in runs!*********

Damn fun to watch this offense while it's working, though. Bethancourt batting 4 is a joke, though. We desperately need another bat to protect Freeman to be viable.

msstate7
04-07-2015, 09:16 PM
2 PH rbi singles tonight. I'm not sure we had 2 all of last season

SapperDawg
04-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Fun game to watch tonight. Guys legging out the extra base, batters working the pitchers for long ABs....hell, the M's pitchers had over 140 pitches by the 7th inning.

smootness
04-07-2015, 09:53 PM
Awesome stuff tonight.

msstate7
04-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Awesome stuff tonight.

It really was. I know our offense won't be like this very often, but it doesn't have to be. If we can play good defense and get timely hitting, we could be a .500 team imo. I really like the pitching staff

shoeless joe
04-07-2015, 10:23 PM
What happened in the 1st? Did we rake, or did they help us out? How did wood look on the mound?

We had a game tonite so I missed it...kept up late on the bus ride home.

trob115
04-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Wood was decent. He didn't pitch as aggressively as I would have liked to see with a 7 run lead, but he did okay. I know he had a high pitch count through 6 innings, but it is just his first start. He was probably just in shock that we actually scored some runs for him.

I didn't see the 1st inning, but we seemed to hit the ball well in the replays I saw.

smootness
04-07-2015, 11:47 PM
What happened in the 1st? Did we rake, or did they help us out? How did wood look on the mound?

We had a game tonite so I missed it...kept up late on the bus ride home.

Just base hits. 3 straight doubles from Markakis, Freeman, and Bethancourt. Good base running.

Just singles and doubles all game.

Really Clark?
04-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Wood was decent. He didn't pitch as aggressively as I would have liked to see with a 7 run lead, but he did okay. I know he had a high pitch count through 6 innings, but it is just his first start. He was probably just in shock that we actually scored some runs for him.

I didn't see the 1st inning, but we seemed to hit the ball well in the replays I saw.

Some of it was the 45 min wait he had from warm ups to the bottom of the first. He said he also felt too strong so probably over compensating. They pulled him at 85 pitches and it was a good idea to do that.

msstate7
04-08-2015, 07:14 AM
I was thrilled with Cody martin's performance last night. Looks like we may have dodged a bullet leaving him unprotected.

Really Clark?
04-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Can't remember if you posted this already but Toscano arrived in Florida and waiting his residency to begin at the training facility before going to AAA.

msstate7
04-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Braves lineup
Peterson 2B
Simmons SS
Markakis RF
Freeman 1B
Pierzynski C
Gomes LF
Callaspo 3B
Maybin CF
Miller P

msstate7
04-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Yay, a homerun! Braves looking for sweep up 2-0 in 7th

War Machine Dawg
04-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Yay, a homerun! Braves looking for sweep up 2-0 in 7th

Hell of a way for Pierzynski to start his stint as a Brave.

msstate7
04-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Jim Johnson and grilli are looking great. In fact, thru 3 whole games (haha) the entire pitching staff is very impressive

shoeless joe
04-08-2015, 10:02 PM
One series does not a season make...but damn that was impressive. Jim Johnson is absolute filth

I really like a lot of things about this team, so much more than in recent years (not that I like them to win a lot, I just like the players).

every deal was done with 2 things in mind: stock up young talent and rid the clubhouse of loser mentality bitches. (Obviously kimbrel does not fall into this category BUT that trade allowed the braves to did themselves of BJ and his contract). Chemistry and pitching go a long way.

War Machine Dawg
04-08-2015, 10:11 PM
One series does not a season make...but damn that was impressive. Jim Johnson is absolute filth

I really like a lot of things about this team, so much more than in recent years (not that I like them to win a lot, I just like the players).

every deal was done with 2 things in mind: stock up young talent and rid the clubhouse of loser mentality bitches. (Obviously kimbrel does not fall into this category BUT that trade allowed the braves to did themselves of BJ and his contract). Chemistry and pitching go a long way.

You mean Melvin.*****

But yeah, we're definitely in full rebuild mode. And the farm system is very well stocked for the first time in years. This year and next are going to suck, but we should be really good when the new park opens up in 2017. I'm ready to see some of the young kids later this year, though.

msstate7
04-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Gattis 0-7 so far with 4's.

msstate7
04-10-2015, 07:04 AM
n 3 games, Upton and Gattis have 12 K's. In 3 games, the whole Braves team has 18.

msstate7
04-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Maybin leads off game with a hr.

I wanna believe in this team. Keep winning braves

jbjones
04-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Maybin leads off game with a hr.

I wanna believe in this team. Keep winning braves

Tell you what, they are fun to watch. Agressive....I like it.

msstate7
04-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Simmons is just sick at ss

jbjones
04-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Simmons is just sick at ss

That play was ...wow. Funny, they had just shown the highlights from the last time that happened...

msstate7
04-10-2015, 08:35 PM
That play was ...wow. Funny, they had just shown the highlights from the last time that happened...

Peterson, Simmons, and Maybin up the middle is gonna be a pitcher's dream this year. All 3 of those guys can flash the leather.

If we can keep scoring a few runs a game and the bullpen holds up, we could surprise this year. I love the starting pitching and minor isn't even pitching yet

War Machine Dawg
04-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Peterson, Simmons, and Maybin up the middle is gonna be a pitcher's dream this year. All 3 of those guys can flash the leather.

If we can keep scoring a few runs a game and the bullpen holds up, we could surprise this year. I love the starting pitching and minor isn't even pitching yet

I'm not counting on Minor after he missed ST last year with a shoulder and bombed. Stults could be a decent 5, but I think there's a really good chance we could see Folty or Banuelos before the season is over. Still don't know why we cut Wandy after he kicked ass in ST, but I'll trust the front office. Still think we're going to need another bat to protect Freeman, but I don't see us making a move for one.

Peterson is just keeping 2B warm until Peraza is ready in May or June. I can't wait to see what he can do.

msstate7
04-10-2015, 09:37 PM
I'm not counting on Minor after he missed ST last year with a shoulder and bombed. Stults could be a decent 5, but I think there's a really good chance we could see Folty or Banuelos before the season is over. Still don't know why we cut Wandy after he kicked ass in ST, but I'll trust the front office. Still think we're going to need another bat to protect Freeman, but I don't see us making a move for one.

Peterson is just keeping 2B warm until Peraza is ready in May or June. I can't wait to see what he can do.

Wisler (kimbrel trade) is probably ahead of folty and banuelos. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or 2 of them by season end.

Unless we do surprisingly contend for wildcard, I expect minor gone by all star break. Hopefully minor comes back strong

smootness
04-11-2015, 12:25 AM
Unbelievable start for the Braves. Wouldn't have guessed we'd win 4 straight all year.

And that play by Simmons was probably the best play I've ever seen a SS make. Just completely ridiculous.

msstate7
04-11-2015, 09:38 AM
I've been very critical of fredi, but he's doing a great job with this team so far.

msstate7
04-11-2015, 07:19 PM
I love this team. Could this team be like the '91 team? Really good, young pitching staff and a good mix of young and veteran position players

SapperDawg
04-11-2015, 07:24 PM
They are doing work right now. I will be interested to see how they handle a bit of adversity. I did tell my dad last week they had the look of the worst to first team.

shoeless joe
04-11-2015, 09:23 PM
No doubt this team has some resemblance to the early division winning teams. For the record I don't expect this hot streak to lead to anything more than a .500 record BUT it will be interesting to see what happens when/if this team is within striking distance of a wild card at the end of July. Because I imagine some of the vets, especially Johnson and grilli, will garner a lot of interest and could bring in even more young talent.

msstate7
04-12-2015, 08:28 AM
No doubt this team has some resemblance to the early division winning teams. For the record I don't expect this hot streak to lead to anything more than a .500 record BUT it will be interesting to see what happens when/if this team is within striking distance of a wild card at the end of July. Because I imagine some of the vets, especially Johnson and grilli, will garner a lot of interest and could bring in even more young talent.

If we are in contention at the deadline, will we make a trade to contend?

BoomBoom
04-12-2015, 03:20 PM
If we are in contention at the deadline, will we make a trade to contend?

No.

On another note, Flow Chart Fredi blew another game today. He is the BJ Upton of managers.

msstate7
04-12-2015, 03:34 PM
No.

On another note, Flow Chart Fredi blew another game today. He is the BJ Upton of managers.

Jamie needs to be let go of immediately. If you can't throw strikes, you can't pitch in mlb

msstate7
04-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Gattis has 18 ab's 11 k's

.000 avg .000 obp .000 everything

Yikes

shoeless joe
04-12-2015, 03:51 PM
So a guy has a scoreless inning his las time out and because he can't find the zone today it's Fredi's fault? Gimme a break...

I'm not a fredi apologist, nor a fredi hater, but statements like that are examples of dumbassedry at it's finest.

msstate7
04-12-2015, 03:56 PM
So a guy has a scoreless inning his las time out and because he can't find the zone today it's Fredi's fault? Gimme a break...

I'm not a fredi apologist, nor a fredi hater, but statements like that are examples of dumbassedry at it's finest.

We really had no choice but to trust Jamie today. Johnson needed a day off. I just think we can do better than Jamie. He's pitched 2 innings and has 3 bb and 1 intentional pass. The knock on Jamie is and always has been throwing strikes. Time to move on imo...

smootness
04-12-2015, 04:07 PM
The fault for today falls on whoever made the decision to have Jaime on the roster. Don't know who that was.

With him on the roster, it would have been tough to go to anyone else today. You have to pitch somebody.

BoomBoom
04-12-2015, 04:24 PM
We really had no choice but to trust Jamie today. Johnson needed a day off. I just think we can do better than Jamie. He's pitched 2 innings and has 3 bb and 1 intentional pass. The knock on Jamie is and always has been throwing strikes. Time to move on imo...

Is Grilli hurt? My comment was aimed at the idea of not using your closer in a tie game at home.

msstate7
04-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Is Grilli hurt? My comment was aimed at the idea of not using your closer in a tie game at home.

Could've used grilli, but it was 8th. Wouldn't have anyone for 9th

BoomBoom
04-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Could've used grilli, but it was 8th. Wouldn't have anyone for 9th

That's what I'm taking about. Let the rook make his first appearance with the bases empty. Flow chart over statistics

War Machine Dawg
04-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Looking like shoulder surgery for Minor. Get ready for Wisler, Folty, or Banuelos.

msstate7
04-12-2015, 06:47 PM
Looking like shoulder surgery for Minor. Get ready for Wisler, Folty, or Banuelos.

Probably stults and Cahill for now. Hopefully McDowell can work his magic with these two. I would esp like Cahill to get right. He's still pretty young.

I'm beginning to think we'll never see minor pitch for the Braves again

War Machine Dawg
04-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Probably stults and Cahill for now. Hopefully McDowell can work his magic with these two. I would esp like Cahill to get right. He's still pretty young.

I'm beginning to think we'll never see minor pitch for the Braves again

We're all in on the rebuild. At some point this season we're going to find out what at least one of the 3 prospects can do. Wouldn't mind seeing Banuelos out of the pen. What's the word on Shae Simmons, btw? If everyone is jumping Juan Jamie, Simmons looked impressive last season. Still too soon to give up on Jamie, so far as I'm concerned.

msstate7
04-12-2015, 06:58 PM
We're all in on the rebuild. At some point this season we're going to find out what at least one of the 3 prospects can do. Wouldn't mind seeing Banuelos out of the pen. What's the word on Shae Simmons, btw? If everyone is jumping Juan Jamie, Simmons looked impressive last season. Still too soon to give up on Jamie, so far as I'm concerned.

Simmons had TJ surgery. He'll be out all year.

I definetely think we'll see some of the young guys this year, but it will be a little while.

I have 2 scenarios that I'll be happy with...

1. We really surprise and contend this year.

2. We fall out of contention, but stults, Jim Johnson, grilli, Gomes, Chris Johnson, callapso, kelly Johnson, and young play well enough to be traded. Maybe not all of them, but some.

msstate7
04-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Jaime, who has issued 181 walks over the 259 2/3 innings he has compiled during his professional career.

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/117867288/command-issues-spoil-braves-reliever-juan-jaimes-outing-vs-mets

Jamie is a walk machine. Time to cut him

BoomBoom
04-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Jaime, who has issued 181 walks over the 259 2/3 innings he has compiled during his professional career.

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/117867288/command-issues-spoil-braves-reliever-juan-jaimes-outing-vs-mets

Jamie is a walk machine. Time to cut him

But if he learns some control he'll be Kimbrel-like. If this is a rebuild year, then you dont cut a guy like that.

msstate7
04-12-2015, 07:32 PM
But if he learns some control he'll be Kimbrel-like. If this is a rebuild year, then you dont cut a guy like that.

Maybe. I'd rather go with kohn. Kohn has been an mlb guy before and could land a prospect if he turns it around.

smootness
04-12-2015, 07:38 PM

Jaime was never impressive in the minors, was awful in the majors last year, and stunk in spring training. I don't think it's 'giving up' on him, I just don't think he's ever shown he's any good.

He walks way too many guys to ever be effective.

smootness
04-12-2015, 07:38 PM

He's 27. He's not going to suddenly figure it out. He's terrible.

Really Clark?
04-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Smoot I tend to agree with you on him, it's getting awful close to closing the book on him. However, some of his minor numbers are very impressive. His SO/9 rate is elite level. Even with the limited big league sample you are looking at a guy who averages a similar SO/9 numbers as Kimbrel at AAA level and just below at the major league level. Although it's a small sample at the major league level. He has so much swing and miss in him I understand why they keep him. If he could just get the BB9 down to 3-4 he would be valuable. So in that sense I would also pause in out right cutting him right now. But agreed at 27 it's getting close. Although Randy Johnson had some of the same type of BB9 numbers with less SO9 than Jaime and he didn't get it corrected until he was 29 and had already been in the majors 4 full seasons. In fact the year before Johnson's 29 age year (finished second in Cy Young) he had a 10.3 SO9 and 6.2 BB9 rate. That is similar to Jaime numbers in the majors except Jaime has 12.8 SO9. Jaime had a 7.9 BB9 rate at AAA last year but his major numbers are a little better at 6.8.

BoomBoom
04-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Maybe. I'd rather go with kohn. Kohn has been an mlb guy before and could land a prospect if he turns it around.

Injuries normally take care of that kind of problem. Someone will get hurt, and Kohn can take his place.

msstate7
04-13-2015, 07:47 PM
Jamie DFAed. Marimon called up

trob115
04-13-2015, 11:12 PM
Pen was solid tonight. Hopefully the offense can keep being a good contact team with timely hitting.

smootness
04-14-2015, 12:42 AM
Jim Johnson is filthy, and Roger McDowell is a genius. I really hope he keeps this up so that we can flip him for something legitimate at the deadline.

So far this year, he's been better than he ever was, even when he was killing it in Baltimore. He was always a 'pitch to contact' sinkerballer, but he's throwing that thing 96 with serious movement and is striking out over 12 per 9 right now. Unbelievable.

Really Clark?
04-14-2015, 06:27 AM
Jim Johnson is filthy, and Roger McDowell is a genius. I really hope he keeps this up so that we can flip him for something legitimate at the deadline.

So far this year, he's been better than he ever was, even when he was killing it in Baltimore. He was always a 'pitch to contact' sinkerballer, but he's throwing that thing 96 with serious movement and is striking out over 12 per 9 right now. Unbelievable.

Yeah he has been outstanding so far. McDowell is good coach and has a very good track record with helping sinkerball pitchers. But if Johnson continues even around 9-10 SO9 it be maybe his best work considering he is a career 6.2 SO9 pitcher.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 06:38 AM

I'm very excited to see Cahill tonight. He's still relatively young and posted sub-4 era's in '12 and '13. I think Cahill could be a nice pitcher for us.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 06:39 AM
Yeah he has been outstanding so far. McDowell is good coach and has a very good track record with helping sinkerball pitchers. But if Johnson continues even around 9-10 SO9 it be maybe his best work considering he is a career 6.2 SO9 pitcher.

American to national league have anything to do with it?

shoeless joe
04-14-2015, 06:49 AM
American to national league have anything to do with it?

I don't think that affects relievers the same as starters. Relievers aren't facing pitchers anyway and only go an inning or 2 at most.

Really Clark?
04-14-2015, 06:54 AM
What Shoeless said. Now if you want to look at the strength of a division, ballbark, home and away splits, those kind of things but which league with a reliever, not so much.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 07:04 AM
Here's the solution...

He's faced the Marlins what 4 times? They k a lot

Think it's 3 times on 2nd thought

msstate7
04-14-2015, 07:11 AM
Beyond the Box Score?@BtBScore?50 mins50 minutes ago
A?s (7.9%) and #Braves (8.2%) hitters have the lowest team swing-and-miss percentages in #MLB so far.

Pretty sure this includes pitchers too

Really Clark?
04-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Yeah but striking out the side against the Mets the other night helped his SO9 a lot. He got a 27 SO9 that game.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 07:29 AM
Yeah but striking out the side against the Mets the other night helped his SO9 a lot. He got a 27 SO9 that game.

Well obviously I expect JJ's k rate to go down, but I expect him to still be very effective. Throwing that sinker is a good recipe when you have Simmons and Peterson up the middle. I love our middle of the infield defense

Really Clark?
04-14-2015, 07:40 AM
Well obviously I expect JJ's k rate to go down, but I expect him to still be very effective. Throwing that sinker is a good recipe when you have Simmons and Peterson up the middle. I love our middle of the infield defense

I agree I was just mentioning that because you mentioned it's because he has pitched against the Marlins so much who have more strikeouts as team. And I have not looked, but you would probably need to see who he faced to get a better understanding of what is going on right now. But he is throwing as well if not better than he ever has and as a sinkerballer he has the middle of the field that is perfect for him to get outs without the K's. Grilli has looked good so far as well.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 07:42 AM
What will it take to convince you guys we can actually contend this year?

Really Clark?
04-14-2015, 07:56 AM
The front office not trading a significant piece at the deadline with only prospects in the return. Until the front office believes we are contending this year then we are not. Everything this first half of the season is either putting us in contention or is a showcase to trade certain players. Personally, it will take the middle of June and seeing where we are to determine if we have a chance of being solid throughout the year. That's where you need to project the best you can if the team will stay similar in output or if I can expect a second half decline that makes us borderline. I do believe in this day you are either in the race or out and stockpiling talent for a run. Finishing 84-78 really does us not good unless we are able to do that while trading to add young talent. Then you may be at the beginning of a really good build for an extended run.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 08:15 AM
The front office not trading a significant piece at the deadline with only prospects in the return. Until the front office believes we are contending this year then we are not. Everything this first half of the season is either putting us in contention or is a showcase to trade certain players. Personally, it will take the middle of June and seeing where we are to determine if we have a chance of being solid throughout the year. That's where you need to project the best you can if the team will stay similar in output or if I can expect a second half decline that makes us borderline. I do believe in this day you are either in the race or out and stockpiling talent for a run. Finishing 84-78 really does us not good unless we are able to do that while trading to add young talent. Then you may be at the beginning of a really good build for an extended run.

I agree with all that.

In the short term, I wanna see these things happen:

1. Cahill pitch well
2. Minor get healthy
3. Nats continue to struggle scoring
4. K rate stay low
5. Beat the jays this weekend

RocketCityDawg
04-14-2015, 08:45 AM
It's not sounding good for Minor. Another set back.

msstate7
04-14-2015, 08:48 AM
It's not sounding good for Minor. Another set back.

Yeah, I was hoping he'd bounce back so we can get better or at least trade him. Not looking good

RocketCityDawg
04-14-2015, 08:52 AM
I think surgery is in his not too distant future. Hopefully, it's just exploratory, and they find something "minor"

Really Clark?
04-14-2015, 08:55 AM
My hope is he can at least throw 5-7 starts before trade deadline and we can unload him for a box of balls and a case of faygo's. I'll even eat half his salary and send a case of Tylenol for the headache of trying to find out if he is worth what he thinks he is. Hate for any player to have injuries but I think he is the last piece that needs to be gone from the organization. If he actually had some quality starts we may get a batboy back in the return.

shoeless joe
04-14-2015, 09:18 AM

I just don't think it will happen. But I will gladly take my crow cooked medium well.

If we can sustain our K rate however I think we will be a pesky competitive team all season. A .500 record and a trade at the deadline to bring in some guys who may be a year or two away would be a successful year to me.

msstate7
04-15-2015, 05:28 PM
And the first series loss is here. For us to win this year, we have to have outstanding starting pitching. We're getting it from wood, Teheran, and miller, but stults and Cahill haven't got it done yet. Hopefully they'll pick it up.

I hated the lineup up today. We have a day off tomorrow and fredi has already stated markakis will dh at least once this weekend. Why sit him today? I don't wanna see a lineup without markakis, callapso, and CJ right now.

Hopefully we can bounce back this weekend

BoomBoom
04-15-2015, 07:01 PM
And the first series loss is here. For us to win this year, we have to have outstanding starting pitching. We're getting it from wood, Teheran, and miller, but stults and Cahill haven't got it done yet. Hopefully they'll pick it up.

I hated the lineup up today. We have a day off tomorrow and fredi has already stated markakis will dh at least once this weekend. Why sit him today? I don't wanna see a lineup without markakis, callapso, and CJ right now.

Hopefully we can bounce back this weekend

stults looks like poop. looks like we made a huge mistake there. Cahill sure wasn't helped by the D in his start, i think he can rebound.

msstate7
04-15-2015, 07:11 PM
stults looks like poop. looks like we made a huge mistake there. Cahill sure wasn't helped by the D in his start, i think he can rebound.

I wish folty or wisler would take off in AAA. If one proves ready, we could perhaps move stults to pen. Stults does fairly well first time thru lineup

War Machine Dawg
04-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Stults and Cahill are garbage. We'd be better off rolling with 2 of Wisler, Folty, and Banuelos than those two. Let them take their lumps now. The only way you learn to pitch in The Show is to actually pitch in The Show. Get 'em up yesterday.

shoeless joe
04-15-2015, 10:30 PM
I take nothing out of the Cahill start. Sinker ballers are a different animal all together. Fire start for new team when he had t pitched in two weeks isn't a recipe for success. I give him 3 starts and if it ain't workin then you make a change if possible. As we know the MLB season is by no means a sprint.

BoomBoom
04-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Stults and Cahill are garbage. We'd be better off rolling with 2 of Wisler, Folty, and Banuelos than those two. Let them take their lumps now. The only way you learn to pitch in The Show is to actually pitch in The Show. Get 'em up yesterday.

yeah, call them up now and blow a year of team control. wisler needs to learn to fool lefties with his breaking stuff. if he can't figure that out, keep in AAA till he does. Folty will probably get a callup in June. some warm body from AAA will probably replace Stults soon. maybe Wang.

Really Clark?
04-15-2015, 10:31 PM

I think that will be or was the plan at some point this season but I do think you still want to monitor their innings at this age, the mental grind a beating will take on them, and their service time. I think they were hoping that one of them was ready this spring but they really were not.

War Machine Dawg
04-15-2015, 10:36 PM
yeah, call them up now and blow a year of team control. wisler needs to learn to fool lefties with his breaking stuff. if he can't figure that out, keep in AAA till he does. Folty will probably get a callup in June. some warm body from AAA will probably replace Stults soon. maybe Wang.

Yeah, because it's not like we gave Folty and Banuelos every chance to win a spot in Spring Training. So team control is really a big concern with them right now.***

smootness
04-15-2015, 10:38 PM

Honestly, it would take us being within one game at the start of September probably. Even if we're leading the division at the ASB, I'll assume a collapse is coming. I just don't think the team is good enough. I still see about a 75-win team.

msstate7
04-16-2015, 06:30 AM
Honestly, it would take us being within one game at the start of September probably. Even if we're leading the division at the ASB, I'll assume a collapse is coming. I just don't think the team is good enough. I still see about a 75-win team.

Yeah, the back of the rotation is too weak and really need rh power bat to put between freeman and markakis.

I wanna keep pitching Cahill bc I think he can be fixed. Hopefully he can become a solid 5 for us this year and next.

Really interested in what we'll do with terdo when he comes off dl. I want him on the 25-man roster. Not sure who we'd cut or send down though.

msstate7
04-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Banuelos - 5 IP, 1R, 7K

Last outing

msstate7
04-16-2015, 07:42 AM
Folty -- 8.2 ip 2.08 era 12 k 6 bb 8 h

Wisler -- 5.0 ip 0.00 era 5 k 2 bb 4 h

Banuelos -- 8.2 ip 2.08 era 10 k 6 bb 7 h

Nice starts. I'd like to see folty and Banuelos get the walk rate down

Really Clark?
04-16-2015, 07:48 AM
Folty -- 8.2 ip 2.08 era 12 k 6 bb 8 h

Wisler -- 5.0 ip 0.00 era 5 k 2 bb 4 h

Banuelos -- 8.2 ip 2.08 era 10 k 6 bb 7 h

Nice starts. I'd like to see folty and Banuelos get the walk rate down

The walk rate/control is their biggest hurdle to get a call up. I think Wisler was always considered the closest to being ready and has been slated to come up at some point this year if he stayed on his current course.

smootness
04-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I think Wisler is the most likely to join the rotation eventually. I honestly think Folty is a bullpen guy (though I would love to be wrong on that), and Banuelos is intriguing but I don't think his ceiling is quite as high.

msstate7
04-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I think Wisler is the most likely to join the rotation eventually. I honestly think Folty is a bullpen guy (though I would love to be wrong on that), and Banuelos is intriguing but I don't think his ceiling is quite as high.

Bc banuelos doesn't have as high a ceiling, he might be the perfect guy to call up. Save team contol over folty, wisler, and Jenkins till we're a better team

msstate7
04-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Could peraza be traded to Yankees?

http://nypost.com/2015/04/16/look-out-refsnyder-yankees-interested-in-braves-2b-prospect/

Really Clark?
04-16-2015, 10:17 AM

I think it will take a little longer to know for sure on Banuelos. He is just a little over a year pitching again after TJ so by the middle of the summer we should get a clearer idea of what he is. Before the injury he was looking like a #3 type starter as his ceiling and he had lowered his walk rate at the time. With the exception of the walk rate, all of his numbers right now are similar to right before his injury. Although it's still to early in the season to make a determination. I think the organization still thinks he can be at least a back end of the rotation guy or a very good reliever.

I think with Folty, at age 23 you still work him like you expect him to be a starter by 2017 at least. His upside and swing and miss numbers makes his potential to great. Now you can bring him up for pen duty to get use to MLB but it's too soon to give up on him as a starter. Potentional top of the rotation guy that you can live with a little high walk rate because his K rate compensates for it. Not at the current number obviously.

smootness
04-16-2015, 10:37 AM
Bc banuelos doesn't have as high a ceiling, he might be the perfect guy to call up. Save team contol over folty, wisler, and Jenkins till we're a better team

Good point. It depends partially on when guys are ready. If Wisler is ready by midseason, I'd go ahead and call him up. 2017 is the year everyone's pointing toward, but the organization wants to at least compete next year as well.

smootness
04-16-2015, 10:37 AM
Could peraza be traded to Yankees?

http://nypost.com/2015/04/16/look-out-refsnyder-yankees-interested-in-braves-2b-prospect/

No, thanks. This seems like it is written purely from the Yankees' standpoint. I can't imagine we're actually interested. They would have to give us a ton back.

RocketCityDawg
04-16-2015, 10:45 AM
No, thanks. This seems like it is written purely from the Yankees' standpoint. I can't imagine we're actually interested. They would have to give us a ton back.

Braves officials say that this is a complete fabrication.

BoomBoom
04-16-2015, 05:48 PM

Wisler doesn't have a high ceiling either. don't let the higher ranking fool you. and he's probably further along in development, so it's probably him come June.

Really Clark?
04-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Wisler doesn't have a high ceiling either. don't let the higher ranking fool you. and he's probably further along in development, so it's probably him come June.

I've got to kind of disagree with you a little. First off being consider a #3 type of starter as your ceiling is a pretty high ceiling. Yes top of the rotation guys have the highest ceilings but the number of pitchers that have become very good #1 & 2's for a long time in the league with just a #3 ceiling is too numerous to count. They both have a very high ceiling. Now in comparing the two, before injury Banuelos was consider a #3 ceing type while Wisler is consider a very solid #3 type or even a low end #2 starter by some. So they were close but now after injury Wisler is definitely considered having the higher upside. He has a plus change and above average fastball and curve with good control. It's just a matter of time for Wisler.

msstate7
04-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Here's some more minor leaguers' stats...

Jenkins: 1.2 ip 0.00 era 4 h 0 k 2 bb

Peraza: .214 avg .267 obp 0 rbi 1 sb

Davidson: .143 avg .400 obp 1 hr 1 rbi

Mallex smith: .188 avg .300 obp 1 rbi 2 sb

Sims: 6.0 ip 3.00 era 2 h 4 k 2 bb

Ruiz: .222 avg .300 obp 1 rbi

Really wanna see more out of this group. Really like Jenkins, peraza, and Ruiz. We need Davidson to start taking off. We really have no corner OF prospects besides Davidson

msstate7
04-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Few of our guys in this minor league top performers...

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150417&content_id=118796154&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

BoomBoom
04-17-2015, 04:14 PM
I've got to kind of disagree with you a little. First off being consider a #3 type of starter as your ceiling is a pretty high ceiling. Yes top of the rotation guys have the highest ceilings but the number of pitchers that have become very good #1 & 2's for a long time in the league with just a #3 ceiling is too numerous to count. They both have a very high ceiling. Now in comparing the two, before injury Banuelos was consider a #3 ceing type while Wisler is consider a very solid #3 type or even a low end #2 starter by some. So they were close but now after injury Wisler is definitely considered having the higher upside. He has a plus change and above average fastball and curve with good control. It's just a matter of time for Wisler.

it's a high ceiling for a typical prospect, not one in AAA that's ready to be called up that's rated in the Top 100. a few rate him a #2, but those have his tools rated much higher than the aggregate. a few have him as barely a #4. the difference will be his ability to retire lefties. his slider/curve doesn't move in a way that is effective against them, and his changeup is not consistent enough yet to use against them. so MLB lefties will be sitting on his fastball. i think you know what happens when that happens. he's not getting minor league lefties out even. but if he can find a pitch to use to keep lefties off his fastball, then he probably projects as a #2.

Really Clark?
04-17-2015, 06:14 PM
it's a high ceiling for a typical prospect, not one in AAA that's ready to be called up that's rated in the Top 100. a few rate him a #2, but those have his tools rated much higher than the aggregate. a few have him as barely a #4. the difference will be his ability to retire lefties. his slider/curve doesn't move in a way that is effective against them, and his changeup is not consistent enough yet to use against them. so MLB lefties will be sitting on his fastball. i think you know what happens when that happens. he's not getting minor league lefties out even. but if he can find a pitch to use to keep lefties off his fastball, then he probably projects as a #2.

Of course different views are going to rate him higher or lower. But the average is he is a solid #3 guy. That's a pretty high ceiling for any player. And it's higher than Banuelos while he is only age 22. He is the most ready of the three.

Now I agree he has work to do against lefties. But if he gets the average to his AA number of .261 that is more than adequate for MLB. But he has to get it down from the AAA numbers. Work on that in AAA for half the year, work out of the pen maybe even spot start late this year. Considering his age and the fact he has not had really any bumps moving up at each level I like the possibility of him being at least a good back end guy. If you get him and Floty hitting close to their ceiling, man that has the makings of a really great rotation. Heck if just one of the new guys hit then the rotation is looking really good for a while.

msstate7
04-17-2015, 06:17 PM
I think Jenkins could be the best of the group eventually

Really Clark?
04-17-2015, 06:45 PM
I think Jenkins could be the best of the group eventually

He definitely could, just going to be a while before we know for sure while he goes through the levels. Excited to see him myself this year.

BiscuitEater
04-17-2015, 09:32 PM
He definitely could, just going to be a while before we know for sure while he goes through the levels. Excited to see him myself this year.

Win @ Toronto in ninth to go to 7-3. Now 4-0 away. Couldn't ask for a better start.

msstate7
04-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Win @ Toronto in ninth to go to 7-3. Now 4-0 away. Couldn't ask for a better start.

Really couldn't. A series win this weekend would be impressive for this team. Got wood and miller to get it done

smootness
04-17-2015, 09:44 PM
The projections on prospect's ceilings are always strange. Unless you're a truly elite guy, like a Trout or a Strasburg, most will give you a ceiling of 'solid regular' or '#3 starter'. None of it really makes sense, especially since what constitutes a #3 starter varies.

How many #1's are there? #2's? Wiser has great potential and can be very, very good if he realizes it. That's all I need to know. Will he strike out 200+? Probably not. Will he go out and put up an ERA around 3 or below consistently in the majors? Nobody can tell me there's no chance of him doing that.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 07:51 AM
Tough loss yesterday.

Jim Johnson is really struggling against the jays. Hopefully he can rebound against the mets.

Markakis is on fire.

FF is really hitting for power this year. In fact, the Braves are hitting for power. 2nd in NL in hr's

Need miller to start going deeper in games starting today.

Very impressed with the start. Hopefully we can win the series against jays today

msstate7
04-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Do we have another great SS on the way?

http://m.chronicle.augusta.com/sports/baseball/2015-04-18/rome-braves-teen-albies-turns-heads-shortstop-play#gsc.tab=0

msstate7
04-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Most career wins for pitchers under 25:

1. Teheran 31
2. Shelby miller 27
3. Henderson Alvarez

Mix in wood, fried, banuelos, wisler, Jenkins, folty, and wildcards like winkler and Sanchez... The future is bright guys

msstate7
04-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Excellent series win. 8-4 (5-1 on road). Big series vs mets starting Tuesday. Really wanna see stults and Cahill step it up a notch

BoomBoom
04-19-2015, 03:50 PM
The projections on prospect's ceilings are always strange. Unless you're a truly elite guy, like a Trout or a Strasburg, most will give you a ceiling of 'solid regular' or '#3 starter'. None of it really makes sense, especially since what constitutes a #3 starter varies.

How many #1's are there? #2's? Wiser has great potential and can be very, very good if he realizes it. That's all I need to know. Will he strike out 200+? Probably not. Will he go out and put up an ERA around 3 or below consistently in the majors? Nobody can tell me there's no chance of him doing that.

Ok, well the thing is he really doesnt have great potential. He is already pitching very intelligently, already maximizing his tools. Thats the point I've been trying to make, that there's no projection left in him. There's very little room for improvement, where with most prospects there's a ton of room for improvement.

shoeless joe
04-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Excellent series win. 8-4 (5-1 on road). Big series vs mets starting Tuesday. Really wanna see stults and Cahill step it up a notch

When a team catches a 3 game series featuring Teheran, wood, and miller it is going to be hard to take 2 of 3 from atl. Hopefully the opposite won't turn out to be true with Cahill and stultz. I personally expect a marked improvement in Cahill this next outing.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 03:59 PM
d'arnaud got beaned and broke bone in hand I think.

Blevins (rp) got hit with line drive. Broke forearm

Mets having some bad luck, but playing well

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Do we have another great SS on the way?

http://m.chronicle.augusta.com/sports/baseball/2015-04-18/rome-braves-teen-albies-turns-heads-shortstop-play#gsc.tab=0

Trade bait or a candidate to move to 2B/3B if he can hit would be my guess.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Trade bait or a candidate to move to 2B/3B if he can hit would be my guess.

How long is Simmons locked up? This kid is only 18

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 06:14 PM
How long is Simmons locked up? This kid is only 18

Pretty good while, I think. He was one of the guys who got the big extensions from Wren.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Pretty good while, I think. He was one of the guys who got the big extensions from Wren.

6 more years I think. I'd hold the kid as long as we can to see if Simmons will be around after that. I still think Simmons can be a .300 hitter. If he starts hitting that well with his glove, we might not be able to resign him

smootness
04-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Ok, well the thing is he really doesnt have great potential. He is already pitching very intelligently, already maximizing his tools. Thats the point I've been trying to make, that there's no projection left in him. There's very little room for improvement, where with most prospects there's a ton of room for improvement.

First, this isn't really true. Wisler may have less projection than some other prospects, but he's still considered a high-end arm. There is definitely plenty of room for improvement from him.

Second, you pretty much won't find anyone in the lower levels of the minors who is projected to have a ceiling of a #1 starter by places like Fangraphs. It's fine to me if someone wants to say that their projection for them is a #3 starter or so (given the chance they won't hit their ceiling), but they consistently give pretty much everyone who isn't a huge prospect at the time of the draft a ceiling of a #3 or #4 starter at best.

Mike Minor was drafted 7th and was said to have the ceiling of a #4 or #5 starter when he was drafted. He has battled injuries, but when he was healthy and initially came up, he was already better than that. So obviously his ceiling was always higher than a 4/5 starter. That's my issue with this stuff.

Fangraphs would have said Greg Maddux had a ceiling of a spot starter because he didn't K 13 per 9 in the minors.

smootness
04-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Just to support what I'm saying, Fangraphs currently lists the upside for both Lucas Giolito and Julio Urias (who are the two best pitching prospects in baseball currently) as a 2/3 starter. That's just dumb.

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2015, 07:30 PM
6 more years I think. I'd hold the kid as long as we can to see if Simmons will be around after that. I still think Simmons can be a .300 hitter. If he starts hitting that well with his glove, we might not be able to resign him

You're crazy if you think Simmons will hit .300. I think he's a .285 absolute tops hitter. Probably more like .275. Hitting has always been his weakness, but he's such a defensive freak you're willing to live with it. If this kid in the minors is legit, he sounds like the kind of player you find a place for whether it's 2B, 3B, or OF. Putting him up the middle at 2B with Simba would be completely ridiculous.

msstate7
04-19-2015, 07:48 PM
You're crazy if you think Simmons will hit .300. I think he's a .285 absolute tops hitter. Probably more like .275. Hitting has always been his weakness, but he's such a defensive freak you're willing to live with it. If this kid in the minors is legit, he sounds like the kind of player you find a place for whether it's 2B, 3B, or OF. Putting him up the middle at 2B with Simba would be completely ridiculous.

He may not hit .300, but he will get better. I really believe his avg will steadily rise as he matures and gains better pitch selection. He very rarely swings and misses. Once he figures out that he isn't a slugger, he's gonna steadily increase his avg. He won a batting title in the Carolina league as a minor leaguer.

smootness
04-19-2015, 09:09 PM
Albies is a stud, but he's still probably at least 3 years away. By then we'll know what Peraza and Peterson are, so there's a chance Peraza sticks at 2B and you can use Albies as a trade piece to go get something legit. Or Peraza may be able to transition to CF if Peterson hits (though I'm not sure he will).

But with Albies' defense, he will have to play somewhere on the infield, and probably SS or 2B, to get max value for him.

NeshobaChuck
04-19-2015, 10:05 PM
There's one thing I like about this team. And that is that they are scrappy!! It might not last long but they are fighting hard and proving they aren't going to be a pushover team since they've traded everybody and their momma away

msstate7
04-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Mckirahan popped for PHD...
Mark Bowman @mlbbowman ? 16m 16 minutes ago
A source said McKirahan apologized to his teammates yesterday and informed them he had used a cream during Spring Training. #Braves

msstate7
04-20-2015, 11:46 AM
The Braves have agreed to a Minor League pact with veteran right-hander Mitchell Boggs, tweets MLB.com?s Mark Bowman. The 31-year-old Boggs didn?t appear in the Majors last season and struggled greatly in 2013, but he was a reliable member of the Cardinals? bullpen prior to that. From 2010-12, Boggs, worked to a 3.08 ERA with 7.1 K/9, 3.1 BB/9 and a 52.3 percent ground-ball rate, averaging 63 appearances and 67 innings per season. Boggs had disastrous results in a 2014 season split between the Triple-A affiliates for the White Sox and Giants, posting an 8.29 ERA with more walks (26) than strikeouts (23) in 51 innings of work.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/04/braves-mitchell-boggs-agree-to-minor-league-deal.html

BoomBoom
04-20-2015, 06:58 PM
First, this isn't really true. Wisler may have less projection than some other prospects, but he's still considered a high-end arm. There is definitely plenty of room for improvement from him.

Second, you pretty much won't find anyone in the lower levels of the minors who is projected to have a ceiling of a #1 starter by places like Fangraphs. It's fine to me if someone wants to say that their projection for them is a #3 starter or so (given the chance they won't hit their ceiling), but they consistently give pretty much everyone who isn't a huge prospect at the time of the draft a ceiling of a #3 or #4 starter at best.

Mike Minor was drafted 7th and was said to have the ceiling of a #4 or #5 starter when he was drafted. He has battled injuries, but when he was healthy and initially came up, he was already better than that. So obviously his ceiling was always higher than a 4/5 starter. That's my issue with this stuff.

Fangraphs would have said Greg Maddux had a ceiling of a spot starter because he didn't K 13 per 9 in the minors.

of course there's some room for improvement, we've already covered that he has to improve against lefties. but most prospects don't know how to pitch yet. hell it takes until the 3rd or 4th year in the bigs for most pitchers to figure that out. and Wisler is mostly there already. there's no room for him to grow stronger, and very little for mental growth. you don't find a prospect with less room for projection than that, period.

plenty of prospects have a #1 ceiling, or #2:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1610196-each-mlb-teams-pitching-prospect-with-the-greatest-upside

sure, plenty have a #3 tag too, because that has great value.

Mike Minor actually surprised most scouts by adding velocity to his fastball while in the Minors. few college pitchers do that. that massively jumped his ceiling. and as we've seen from his injury history, he has to be 100% to be effective. that's the difference between a high-ceiling guy and a low one.

Maddux is just a ridiculous outlier. Clemens is a better analogy. he had a #1 ceiling, but he had to learn how to pitch to reach it. Wisler could come out of the gate with Clemens numbers, but he'll never reach sub-3 levels. Folty and Fried, while obviously not at Clemens' level, are a lot closer to that analogy than Wisler, who compares better to Mike Minor. He's a lock to be a better than average SP for years, which has value in the tens of millions of dollars, which makes him a top prospect, but he'll never sniff being an ace.

BoomBoom
04-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Albies is a stud, but he's still probably at least 3 years away. By then we'll know what Peraza and Peterson are, so there's a chance Peraza sticks at 2B and you can use Albies as a trade piece to go get something legit. Or Peraza may be able to transition to CF if Peterson hits (though I'm not sure he will).

But with Albies' defense, he will have to play somewhere on the infield, and probably SS or 2B, to get max value for him.

3 years would be typical for an 18yr old in A ball, but the Andruw comparisons make me think shorter. regardless, unless they are down on Peraza for some reason, better to trade an 18 yr old that is blocked early rather than let him play his way out of value. i see him being packaged at the trade deadline with Grilli etc for prospects where we have more of a need (OF!).

smootness
04-20-2015, 07:38 PM
No, no, no. In no way do you trade Albies this year. He has in no way reached his peak value as a prospect. That would be an all-time dumb move.

And he is not being compared to Andruw by pretty much anybody. Andruw Jones was a once-in-10-years kind of prospect. Albies, right now, is just a really intriguing, talented guy who hasn't really proven anything.

There's a chance he could be ready in a couple years, but that's not overly likely, and even then, you have some time to figure things out.

But no, you absolutely do not trade Albies this year, especially not before you know what Peraza is.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 07:41 PM
of course there's some room for improvement, we've already covered that he has to improve against lefties. but most prospects don't know how to pitch yet. hell it takes until the 3rd or 4th year in the bigs for most pitchers to figure that out. and Wisler is mostly there already. there's no room for him to grow stronger, and very little for mental growth don't find a prospect with less room for projection than that.

Yeah I don't think you really mean that. Mental growth can happen at any age with a player. Change of approach makes a pitcher more effective. Adding a pitch, etc. all of those can be done after he reaches the big league level.

Eta. I don't think he will increase velocity much if any but at 22 the possibility is probably greater than you are making it out to be. I assume you mean velocity when you say stronger. Because he could get a lot stronger in the sense he retains his stuff deeper into games and sometimes that is what is the difference between a #5 pitcher and a #2. That is something that could happen.

smootness
04-20-2015, 07:42 PM
As for Wisler, I was talking about the way places like Fangraphs evaluate prospects, not Bleacher Report.

He's 6'3" 175, he can absolutely get physically stronger.

You have no idea whether or not he can get to a sub-3 ERA level in the majors.

BoomBoom
04-20-2015, 07:48 PM
No, no, no. In no way do you trade Albies this year. He has in no way reached his peak value as a prospect. That would be an all-time dumb move.

And he is not being compared to Andruw by pretty much anybody. Andruw Jones was a once-in-10-years kind of prospect. Albies, right now, is just a really intriguing, talented guy who hasn't really proven anything.

There's a chance he could be ready in a couple years, but that's not overly likely, and even then, you have some time to figure things out.

But no, you absolutely do not trade Albies this year, especially not before you know what Peraza is.

? he was being compared to Andruw in that article.

if he's currently seen as a B or B- prospect, then sure. but if someone is offering more for a blocked player at that level, you take it. a AA or AAA guy can at least fill in in the case of injury.

but i think we agree it's unlikely someone will offer that, outside of a package deal. if you wait for every propect to their "peak level" before you trade them, then you'll wind up with very little in return, as most prospects flame out rather than reach "peak value". you maximize your return by trading earlier.

BoomBoom
04-20-2015, 07:51 PM
Yeah I don't think you really mean that. Mental growth can happen at any age with a player. Change of approach makes a pitcher more effective. Adding a pitch, etc. all of those can be done after he reaches the big league level.

Eta. I don't think he will increase velocity much if any but at 22 the possibility is probably greater than you are making it out to be. I assume you mean velocity when you say stronger. Because he could get a lot stronger in the sense he retains his stuff deeper into games and sometimes that is what is the difference between a #5 pitcher and a #2. That is something that could happen.

but there's very little room for such growth with Wisler, that's the point. he already pitches like a pro. there's some room, sure, but moreso than any other prospect, what you see is what you get. he's high floor low ceiling. why the hell is that controversial?

BoomBoom
04-20-2015, 07:57 PM
As for Wisler, I was talking about the way places like Fangraphs evaluate prospects, not Bleacher Report.

He's 6'3" 175, he can absolutely get physically stronger.

You have no idea whether or not he can get to a sub-3 ERA level in the majors.

if you've got a good link for Fangraphs ceilings of players, please share.

his MiLB page says he's 195lbs.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-top-100-prospects/

Pitchers

Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks
Taijuan Walker, Mariners
Robert Stephenson, Reds
Lucas Giolito, Nationals
Eddie Butler, Rockies
Jonathan Gray, Rockies
Noah Syndergaard, Mets
Dylan Bundy, Orioles
Jameson Taillon, Pirates
Aaron Sanchez, Blue Jays

Notes: The Top 10 is loaded with potential No. 1 and 2 starters.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 08:09 PM
but there's very little room for such growth with Wisler, that's the point. he already pitches like a pro. there's some room, sure, but moreso than any other prospect, what you see is what you get. he's high floor low ceiling. why the hell is that controversial?

I can understand that stance on the physical side, he very well may be maxed out physically, I have no problem with that argument even if I think more of this particular player we could very well be reversed on another. And we both be right on our guy. If it was easy we would be scouts. But mentally? The MLB level is about mental changes to stay effective. It is one of the major things that separates a AA level player from a MLB level guy. And it will more than likely take him (like most players) 2-3 years to figure that out while competing at that level. I disagree wholeheartedly about mental growth. If he or any player is not continuing to grow mentally, they won't stick. You have maybe 5-10% of players that are so gifted athletically that they can get away with it that. And may 1% or so can be a true upper level long career type player like that. But I don't think any player that has had a fairly long career, heck even ones that could not get it done physically, topped out their mental approach at the minor league level. That is a pretty silly assertion.

smootness
04-20-2015, 08:09 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-prospects-arizona-diamondbacks/

That is their evaluation of Archie Bradley last year, the same year they listed him as the #1 pitching prospect in baseball. They call him a #3 starter. And as I've already stated, the top 2 pitching prospects for this year (Giolito and Urias) are listed as #2/3 starters. That's ridiculous. They call Wisler a 3/4 starter, so it seems they believe his ceiling isn't too far away from the ceilings of those guys.

As for Albies, that article is from the Augusta Chronicle, where the writer himself is opining that Albies is like Andruw Jones simply as a way of transitioning from where Albies is from to a discussion on his talent level. There isn't anyone legitimate mentioning Andruw Jones in any kind of comparison with Albies, and for good reason. They're different types of player.

That said, Albies certainly has a very high ceiling. You just don't trade a guy like that right now. There are way too many unknowns.

If you go around trading every high-ceiling prospect before they have time to reach that ceiling because you're scared of them falling short, you're going to end up with way less talent overall in your farm system. If we trade Albies now, we'll get a guy in return with a similar current value. The chances of that player having a similar ceiling as well aren't high, so you're just reducing your talent level.

Peraza hasn't even played a major league game yet, so Albies certainly isn't blocked. You wait to see what guys are likely to become, then make decisions from there. And we don't have many position prospects, period, still. We have to keep them and try to trade our surplus of arms for more offense. You can never have too many high-ceiling prospects. Even if some fall short, if you have enough, a few will hit, and that's when you hit the jackpot.

BoomBoom
04-20-2015, 08:38 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-prospects-arizona-diamondbacks/

That is their evaluation of Archie Bradley last year, the same year they listed him as the #1 pitching prospect in baseball. They call him a #3 starter. And as I've already stated, the top 2 pitching prospects for this year (Giolito and Urias) are listed as #2/3 starters. That's ridiculous. They call Wisler a 3/4 starter, so it seems they believe his ceiling isn't too far away from the ceilings of those guys.

As for Albies, that article is from the Augusta Chronicle, where the writer himself is opining that Albies is like Andruw Jones simply as a way of transitioning from where Albies is from to a discussion on his talent level. There isn't anyone legitimate mentioning Andruw Jones in any kind of comparison with Albies, and for good reason. They're different types of player.

That said, Albies certainly has a very high ceiling. You just don't trade a guy like that right now. There are way too many unknowns.

If you go around trading every high-ceiling prospect before they have time to reach that ceiling because you're scared of them falling short, you're going to end up with way less talent overall in your farm system. If we trade Albies now, we'll get a guy in return with a similar current value. The chances of that player having a similar ceiling as well aren't high, so you're just reducing your talent level.

Peraza hasn't even played a major league game yet, so Albies certainly isn't blocked. You wait to see what guys are likely to become, then make decisions from there. And we don't have many position prospects, period, still. We have to keep them and try to trade our surplus of arms for more offense. You can never have too many high-ceiling prospects. Even if some fall short, if you have enough, a few will hit, and that's when you hit the jackpot.

"Summation: Some scouts said if Bradley is, going forward, the guy he was in the 12 post-injury starts this year, he projects as a #4 starter. He was a #2 starter for most before the injury, so the hedge bet from most scouts is the middle ground of a solid #3 starter. As mentioned above, the bullpen possibility is also more distinct now. Arm speed should never be a problem, so his career likely comes down to how well he can adjust his delivery and command to fit in a starter role."

I don't think that supports your point.

BoomBoom
04-20-2015, 08:41 PM
I can understand that stance on the physical side, he very well may be maxed out physically, I have no problem with that argument even if I think more of this particular player we could very well be reversed on another. And we both be right on our guy. If it was easy we would be scouts. But mentally? The MLB level is about mental changes to stay effective. It is one of the major things that separates a AA level player from a MLB level guy. And it will more than likely take him (like most players) 2-3 years to figure that out while competing at that level. I disagree wholeheartedly about mental growth. If he or any player is not continuing to grow mentally, they won't stick. You have maybe 5-10% of players that are so gifted athletically that they can get away with it that. And may 1% or so can be a true upper level long career type player like that. But I don't think any player that has had a fairly long career, heck even ones that could not get it done physically, topped out their mental approach at the minor league level. That is a pretty silly assertion.

i don't disagree with any of that. but i think that falls in the realm of maintaining value, not increasing it. i think there's a difference between that, and between being a pitcher and a thrower. most top prospects are still throwers when they reach the Majors. they've never had to learn otherwise because of their tools. Wisler is already a pitcher.

BoomBoom
04-20-2015, 08:44 PM
"Summation: Some scouts said if Bradley is, going forward, the guy he was in the 12 post-injury starts this year, he projects as a #4 starter. He was a #2 starter for most before the injury, so the hedge bet from most scouts is the middle ground of a solid #3 starter. As mentioned above, the bullpen possibility is also more distinct now. Arm speed should never be a problem, so his career likely comes down to how well he can adjust his delivery and command to fit in a starter role."

by the way, Kris Bryant is projected to have a lower ceiling than several prospects this year. but he's ranked higher. because he has virtually zero chance to flame out and be worth nothing. it's the same with Wisler (absent injury of course). that guaranteed value gives him a high ranking disproportionate to his ceiling.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kris-bryant-and-floor-versus-ceiling/

smootness
04-20-2015, 09:53 PM

He's the #1 prospect, even after his injury, yet before it he was only a #2 starter? No, that is making my point for me.

Unless they think there are 2 or maybe 3 #1 starters in all of baseball. Which is kind of insane.

BoomBoom
04-20-2015, 09:58 PM
He's the #1 prospect, even after his injury, yet before it he was only a #2 starter? No, that is making my point for me.

Unless they think there are 2 or maybe 3 #1 starters in all of baseball. Which is kind of insane.

he was a team's #1 prospect. not #1 in baseball. and he had that ranking based on his floor, not his ceiling. you are confusing projection with ceiling. he was projected as a #2. that usually means a ceiling of a 1 and a floor of a 3. Wisler is a lot closer to a ceiling of a 3 with a floor of a 3. that's the difference.

i really don't know why that is so hard to understand.

War Machine Dawg
04-20-2015, 10:25 PM

Just ignore BoomBoom. He's one of the dumbest Braves fans on the interwebs.

Really Clark?
04-20-2015, 10:29 PM
i don't disagree with any of that. but i think that falls in the realm of maintaining value, not increasing it. i think there's a difference between that, and between being a pitcher and a thrower. most top prospects are still throwers when they reach the Majors. they've never had to learn otherwise because of their tools. Wisler is already a pitcher.

I'm not talking about the difference between a pitcher and thrower. I'm talking the difference between being an average pitcher to good pitcher to great pitcher to elite pitcher. A lot of time it is just simply a better mental approach that is the difference. When you are talking about a thrower vs pitcher you are looking at higher velocity guys usually. I agree he is advanced for his age but that has nothing to do with his ability to grow mentally. You mentioned Maddux earlier, and I agree he was a freak that didn't throw 90 for the bulk of his career. Remember a story Leo Mazzone told about how a guy would get a hit off of Maddux and when he came in he would sit by Leo and tell him that guy is screwed the rest of the game. He just learned how to get him out and Maddux was usually right. Now I am not saying he will be a Maddux at all and that is a small in game adjustment but that is showing mental growth and can be done at any age. The learning and adjusting process is vital and if Maddux wasn't as good at doing that his value would have definitely diminished. Especially since he wasn't a high velocity guy that could creat swing and misses

smootness
04-20-2015, 10:31 PM
he was a team's #1 prospect. not #1 in baseball. and he had that ranking based on his floor, not his ceiling. you are confusing projection with ceiling. he was projected as a #2. that usually means a ceiling of a 1 and a floor of a 3. Wisler is a lot closer to a ceiling of a 3 with a floor of a 3. that's the difference.

i really don't know why that is so hard to understand.

Well, he was the #1 overall pitching prospect in baseball before the 2014 season, and I would assume he didn't drop that far if he remained #1 for the D-backs. But I thought both articles came out before the 2014 season, which was my mistake.

I get what you're arguing. I obviously understand that projection and ceiling aren't necessarily the same thing and that some guys with a lower ceiling will be rated higher simply due to either a higher floor or being closer to the majors.

I just don't think that's exactly what Fangraphs is doing in their 'roles'. It's a little tough to figure out because they don't really explain it, but the reason I believe the 'role' is closer to the prospect's ceiling rather than simply their guess is because it replaces the 'upside' given to positional prospects, and they also list a 'risk' value. If you're saying, 'Here's where I project someone (which itself factors in risk), and here is the risk factor of them not making it, that is redundant. But if they're saying, here's a player's ceiling, and here's the risk of them not making it there, that makes sense.

For example, if you tell me one pitcher has a ceiling of a #1 but a 5 risk factor and another has a #3 ceiling but a 1 risk factor, I understand that one is more talented but much less likely to eventually get there than the second. But if you tell me the first pitcher is projected for a #4 with a 5 risk factor (probably fair given the ceiling and risk), and the second guy is projected for a #3 with a 1 risk factor, I have no idea which is more talented and don't know much about what they think of the first's talent level.

When talking about prospects, people always want to know the player's ceiling. I don't want to know anyone's projection of what a 17-year-old kid will actually become because it will almost always be 'good chance of them never becoming anything'.

msstate7
04-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Apr-20 11:29 PM
Braves' Foltynewicz hits 99, sharp in loss
Gwinnett righty allows three hits, fans nine in eight innings at Norfolk but his progress on a new slider meant more to the Triple-A Gwinnett right-hander

http://www.milb.com/r/article?ymd=20150420&content_id=119472336&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&tcid=fb_article_119472336

Mike Foltynewicz's fastball lit up the Norfolk radar gun at 99 mph in the eighth inning Monday night as the right-hander eclipsed the 100-pitch mark.

"I don't really try to look at the radar gun," the Braves' No. 3 prospect said. "It just messes you up."

But Foltynewicz, despite early nerves and a new pitch, was hard to decode in his third start of the season. He held Triple-A Norfolk to a run on three hits and a walk while striking out nine over eight innings in Gwinnett's 1-0 loss.

The hard-throwing starter known for his fastball was acquired by the Braves in January and has been as advertised so far -- he's allowed three runs over 16 2/3 innings. But he hasn't received any run support from his new club yet.

Earning a win wasn't the only goal for the 23-year-old, though. He debuted a new pitch -- a hard slider -- and in the process tallied a season high in strikeouts. The learning curve might have cost him as he felt out his improved secondary offering early and gave up a run on a bloop single.

"After my last outing, [the Braves] wanted me to throw a hard slider, somewhere in the 85, 86, 87 range," Foltynewicz said. "My whole life, I could never get it over 81 or 82. But they said, 'As hard as you throw, you should have a power slider.'"

Foltynewicz (0-2) threw 105 pitches, 72 for strikes. He's allowed one run in each of his three outings and sports a 1.62 ERA. Gwinnett (3-8) has dropped six straight.

"This was probably my best outing, this and the last outing were the best I've felt the whole year," he said. "But it's early. I just threw a lot of strikes. The second inning, I started doing too much. I've been working on a new slider, and that wasn't really going for strikes, but other than that, the change was working, and later on, the slider started to work for me well. Fastball command was the big thing for me."

The first-round pick by the Astros in 2010 bounced back from one shaky inning in the second, when he walked Christian Walker -- his only free pass of the game -- and allowed singles to Steve Clevenger and Michael Almanzar that led to the game's lone run. The righty allowed just one more hit the rest of the night en route to his longest outing since July 24, 2013 with Double-A Corpus Christi.

"There were a lot of fly balls tonight, the wind was strong, so my defense did a great job," he said. "I kind of got stronger as the game went one. If felt pretty good."

Foltynewicz struck out two in the sixth, seventh and eighth as he got a better feel for his slider. Facing Triple-A batters while testing out a new pitch probably isn't ideal, but Foltynewicz said he was pleased with the progress he made.

"A couple stayed up in the zone and they popped up, but it's coming along all right," he said. "It's been my focus for the last four days, working on that in the bullpen. A couple of them broke off that were nice, but I need that consistency, that will really help me come along."

So how do you take an 81-mph slider and turn it into an 87-mph slider? It's like throwing an egg, Foltynewicz said.

"I really choke all my pitches, I grab the ball as hard as I can," he said. "But with the slider, they said they want me to hold it like an egg. Turn the knob at the end, throw it like it's a fastball and give it a little turn. I'm trying to make it happen, I was trying to get the spin on it, and it was popping up a little bit, but I'll keep working on that. I'm getting good at it, it's just work ethic with that pitch."

With his old slider, Foltynewicz went 7-7 with a 5.08 ERA and 102 strikeouts in 102 2/3 innings at Triple-A last season while appearing in 16 games out of the bullpen for Houston. In the Majors, the righty struck out 14 batters in 18 2/3 innings, allowing 11 runs and three homers in the process. The Astros packaged him in a deal to Atlanta on Jan. 14, a move Foltynewicz called "shocking" when it happened.

Now Foltynewicz is adjusting to a new organization and strategy. He said he was a little surprised that Gwinnett let him go past 80 pitches and into the eighth.

"I felt really good in the eighth, I don't know what happened, but I looked at the scoreboard and thought, 'Hmm, this is going pretty good,'" he said. "I was just challenging the hitters, I let them hit it. This a big park, so I just let the defense do the work. I was surprised how good I felt, I haven't thrown over 80 pitches since Spring Training. I came in for the seventh and I said, 'Let me go back out there.' My body felt good."

smootness
04-20-2015, 11:36 PM
Yeah, that was a big start from Folty. Great stuff to hear about his slider, both because it means he's coming along and may be able to stick as a SP and because it is just more evidence that McDowell and the Braves' pitching coaches know what they're doing.

BoomBoom
04-21-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm not talking about the difference between a pitcher and thrower. I'm talking the difference between being an average pitcher to good pitcher to great pitcher to elite pitcher. A lot of time it is just simply a better mental approach that is the difference. When you are talking about a thrower vs pitcher you are looking at higher velocity guys usually. I agree he is advanced for his age but that has nothing to do with his ability to grow mentally. You mentioned Maddux earlier, and I agree he was a freak that didn't throw 90 for the bulk of his career. Remember a story Leo Mazzone told about how a guy would get a hit off of Maddux and when he came in he would sit by Leo and tell him that guy is screwed the rest of the game. He just learned how to get him out and Maddux was usually right. Now I am not saying he will be a Maddux at all and that is a small in game adjustment but that is showing mental growth and can be done at any age. The learning and adjusting process is vital and if Maddux wasn't as good at doing that his value would have definitely diminished. Especially since he wasn't a high velocity guy that could creat swing and misses

i agree with all that, but they just now taught Folty a new pitch. in AAA. HUGE difference from Wisler, no matter how much butthurt that is generating. he is already maximizing his tools, and will have to mentally grow and adjust just to maintain, there won't be much of a learning curve improvement trend.

My fave Maddux story is about a game i remember watching. He had a no-hitter going into the 8th, with an 8 run lead, against the Astros. Jeff Bagwell was up that inning, and hit a bomb. Much later in his career Maddux was asked about it, and said he gave him a pitch he would normally never give him, and said he did it because for the rest of Bagwell's career he'd be looking for that pitch, and never get it.

msstate7
04-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Even though we got rocked tonight, I feel better about chances bc Cahill looked much better. He run out of gas in the 5th, but that's probably to be expected since he missed a lot of ST. Gosselin's error sure didn't help either. Wouldn't be surprised to see goose get sent down when terdo is healthy

msstate7
04-23-2015, 03:19 PM
The pen is a train wreck. All these walks today made me think I was listening to state.

Not liking what I'm seeing out of FF so far. He's trying to hit everything out of the park. Hopefully he stops lifting the ball so much and starts hitting line drives

smootness
04-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Freeman is fine. He's not been great and is still OPSing at .826.

Pen is utter garbage, especially with Jim Johnson falling off after a good start.

The inevitable fall has come, so if guys like Folty and Wisler pitch well, call them up. If Peraza keeps hitting, call him up. If Mallex Smith keeps hitting at AAA, call him up. Time to get the young guys work.

msstate7
04-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Not sure this series means we're about to bomb. We just won a series at a good Toronto team. Mets are pretty dang good (11 straight). I think we'll settle the ship some against philly. I think we'll be a .500 club this year.

smootness
04-23-2015, 04:58 PM
I definitely don't think we're a .500 team. I've said 75 wins at most, and I still believe that. There just isn't enough talent.

Teheran, Wood, and Miller would have to all be All-Stars for us to get to 81 wins, especially given the state of our pen.

3 good starters, good IF defense, bad offense, and a terrible bullpen is not a recipe to win 81 games, IMO.

I'm not basing this on the Mets series. It's just what I've thought from the beginning, and after the hot start, we're seeing the flaws in a big way.

msstate7
04-23-2015, 05:07 PM
I think the pen will be better than they've shown the last few games.

Johnson isn't as good as he started, but I don't think he's this bad either.

Avilan had his only bad outing of the year today.

I think we could possibly see stults or Cahill in the pen at some point and give Martin or one of minor leaguers a shot

smootness
04-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Well, but Jim Johnson was this bad last year. All year.

Grilli/Johnson will probably at best be worse than average at the back end, and after that you only really have Avilan and Martin as even serviceable options. Cunniff has been good but has walked a lot and is still an unknown, then you have Ian Thomas and Sugar Ray Marimon. That is the makings of a really bad pen. I am willing to bet there isn't another major league team that doesn't have at least one guy who you know is going to come in and shut people down almost every time.

I do think we could have some good options to plug in eventually, but there aren't any on the immediate horizon.

shoeless joe
04-23-2015, 06:18 PM
.500 is the top end but because of how we play I think the low end isn't terrible. Getting swept in NY isn't a gone setter by any means. Remember Bobby's last year the team had a 10+ game losing streak...not to say this is a playoff team but one good/bad stretch won't define the season this early.

The fast start got hopes up and made the resent fall harder to take for some. Those of us with realistic expectations knew it would all even out in the end...hmmm, sounds like another baseball team I know.

msstate7
04-23-2015, 07:33 PM
With Nathan going down for the Tigers, should we deal grilli to them now? Wonder how much interest the Tigers would have and what we could get from a desperate team

BoomBoom
04-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Well, but Jim Johnson was this bad last year. All year.

Grilli/Johnson will probably at best be worse than average at the back end, and after that you only really have Avilan and Martin as even serviceable options. Cunniff has been good but has walked a lot and is still an unknown, then you have Ian Thomas and Sugar Ray Marimon. That is the makings of a really bad pen. I am willing to bet there isn't another major league team that doesn't have at least one guy who you know is going to come in and shut people down almost every time.

I do think we could have some good options to plug in eventually, but there aren't any on the immediate horizon.

for once we agree. but no one is getting called up until June.

msstate7
04-24-2015, 11:09 AM
David O'Brien ?@DOBrienAJC 12m12 minutes ago
#Braves have called up relievers John Cornely and Michael Kohn

msstate7
04-24-2015, 11:09 AM
David Lee ?@David11Lee 2m2 minutes ago
Andrelton Simmons is swinging at 9% fewer pitches outside the zone, 9% more inside compared to 2014. 93% contact in zone.

msstate7
04-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Cornerly AAA stats...

1.04 era 8.2 ip 5 h 1 bb 12 k .167 avg

Kohn AAA stats...

4.32 era 8.1 ip 7 h 2 bb 10 k

Gotta figure sugar ray and Thomas are out

Hopefully this works out

smootness
04-24-2015, 02:16 PM
David Lee ?@David11Lee 2m2 minutes ago
Andrelton Simmons is swinging at 9% fewer pitches outside the zone, 9% more inside compared to 2014. 93% contact in zone.

That's awesome. He clearly has a better approach this year. If he is just league average offensively, he's the best SS in baseball, easily. I would give my entire savings for season tickets if you could clone Simmons and put him at every position.

As for the RP moves, I'm not extremely optimistic, but I'd rather make moves and try something else rather than standing pat.

msstate7
04-24-2015, 03:06 PM
That's awesome. He clearly has a better approach this year. If he is just league average offensively, he's the best SS in baseball, easily. I would give my entire savings for season tickets if you could clone Simmons and put him at every position.

As for the RP moves, I'm not extremely optimistic, but I'd rather make moves and try something else rather than standing pat.

Definetely worth trying on the RPs.

Does Simmons have the best hand-eye coordination known to man? His defense and the fact he's making contact with 93% of balls in the zone.

I heard on the radio broadcast that there are people claiming someone else (missed the name) is a better defensive ss. I find that very hard to believe as did the radio guys

smootness
04-24-2015, 03:13 PM
I have not seen anyone with any shred of credibility claim anyone is better than Simmons. It's not even close. He has almost broken the advanced metrics. I've seen fans try to claim guys like Iglesias (very good but not even approaching Simmons) and Hechavarria (LOL, he's actually bad) are as good, but that's a joke.

He has phenomenal instincts, great range, elite hands, and the best infield arm probably ever. He also wastes no motion. He takes the shortest routes to balls and gets the ball out (at ridiculous velocity) faster than anyone I've ever seen. He is Andruw Jones, if Andruw had an elite arm.

So basically, he is even better than Andruw. And for me to say that is a lot, because Andruw is one of my favorite players ever and, before Simmons, easily the best defensive player I'd ever seen.

msstate7
04-24-2015, 04:02 PM
3:54 PM
@DOBrienAJC
Cunniff and Marimon optioned to Triple-A to make room for the two #Braves relief callups

Cunniff?! Wow... He was one of our best relievers. Surely this is just giving him a short break since he's pitched so much lately

msstate7
04-24-2015, 09:00 PM
FF with 2 errors and 2 k's. He's continuing to struggle. Hopefully he gets it going soon.

Not sure what we're trying to do this year right now. Why are we playing AJ, EY, and callaspo so much? I want to see if bethancourt, Peterson, and Maybin can help us.

War Machine Dawg
04-25-2015, 01:00 AM
FF with 2 errors and 2 k's. He's continuing to struggle. Hopefully he gets it going soon.

Not sure what we're trying to do this year right now. Why are we playing AJ, EY, and callaspo so much? I want to see if bethancourt, Peterson, and Maybin can help us.

Bethancourt: No. He can't hit. Not surprising, considering he's never hit at any level of baseball. Another reason trading Gattis was fooking stupid.

Peterson: Ditto. He's nothing more than a placeholder until Peraza is ready.

Maybin: Has looked decent so far. Been starting almost every day lately. Got a routine night off tonight. Calm down.

msstate7
04-25-2015, 04:24 AM
I love the gattis trade. Ruiz will be our 3b and folty will be a very good pitcher for us. Gattis can't stay healthy catching and can't play lf.

Now trading victor caratini (switch hitting catcher) to Cubs last year for Russell and bonifacio was incredibly stupid

msstate7
04-25-2015, 10:55 AM
11:42 AM
@DOBrienAJC
In 2014, #Braves scored 62 runs in 1st 16 games. Have 60 in 16 games this season. But have 3.66 ERA now, compared to 2.28 after 16 in '14.

Juan Jaime cleared waivers & was sent outright to Triple-A Gwinnett.

BoomBoom
04-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Bethancourt: No. He can't hit. Not surprising, considering he's never hit at any level of baseball. Another reason trading Gattis was fooking stupid.

Peterson: Ditto. He's nothing more than a placeholder until Peraza is ready.

Maybin: Has looked decent so far. Been starting almost every day lately. Got a routine night off tonight. Calm down.

Bethancourt has never hit in the minors, but that doesnt mean he never will.
Peterson is a lot better than everyone thought.

War Machine Dawg
04-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Bethancourt has never hit in the minors, but that doesnt mean he never will.
Peterson is a lot better than everyone thought.

Do you realize how damn dumb that statement/logic is? A guy who never hit MINOR LEAGUE pitching is suddenly going to hit MAJOR LEAGUE pitching? Ridiculous. Even the worst MLB 5th starters are the top .5% of pitchers in the world in terms of talent. But Bethancourt is suddenly going to hit the same guys that wore him out in the minors. Ok.

BoomBoom
04-25-2015, 11:23 PM
Do you realize how damn dumb that statement/logic is? A guy who never hit MINOR LEAGUE pitching is suddenly going to hit MAJOR LEAGUE pitching? Ridiculous. Even the worst MLB 5th starters are the top .5% of pitchers in the world in terms of talent. But Bethancourt is suddenly going to hit the same guys that wore him out in the minors. Ok.

Its not dumb you moron. It happens. Usually guys who's glove is far ahead of his bat, so he advances faster than he would have otherwise, thus his bat is always overmatched, but is still progressing. Usually those types struggle when promoted but steadily progress.

smootness
04-26-2015, 12:39 PM
Peterson has been horrible offensively. I am a fan and had hopes for him, but he may just be a utility guy.

starkvegasdawg
04-26-2015, 12:46 PM
Just saw over half our starting lineup today is hitting .219 or lower. Pathetic.

shoeless joe
04-26-2015, 01:34 PM
I've seen enough...

Cahill ain't got it anymore, bring up a youngster and get em some experience.

msstate7
04-26-2015, 01:48 PM
I've seen enough...

Cahill ain't got it anymore, bring up a youngster and get em some experience.

Speaking of youngsters...

2:44 PM
@mlbbowman
Folty has notched nine strikeouts while limiting Durham to two runs through five innings. He's thrown 93 pitches (61 strikes). #Braves

@KevinMcAlpin
Meanwhile in Durham, Mike Foltynewicz has allowed 2 R on 6 H over 5 IP with 3 BB & 9 K. His season ERA sits at 2.08
#Braves

Cahill seems to be getting control of this game now.

msstate7
04-26-2015, 02:41 PM
FF's defense has been pathetic this year. He has gotten 2 doubles today to get his avg up to .235. Needless to say, FF needs to pick it up.

msstate7
04-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Philly takes 2 of 3. Both game winning runs were off FF errors. I expect much better from our best player. Get your head out of your butt, FF

War Machine Dawg
04-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Philly takes 2 of 3. Both game winning runs were off FF errors. I expect much better from our best player. Get your head out of your butt, FF

Freeman has sucked ever since signing that big extension last offseason. That contract is starting to look really bad. Yet another great "gift" left to us by Wren.

msstate7
04-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Freeman has sucked ever since signing that big extension last offseason. That contract is starting to look really bad. Yet another great "gift" left to us by Wren.

I'm not writing him off. I think he'll turn it around, but we need him now

War Machine Dawg
04-26-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm not writing him off. I think he'll turn it around, but we need him now

Don't get me wrong, he's plenty capable of turning it around. And I hope like hell he does. Otherwise we're going to be right where we started with another Dan Uggla/Melvin "BJ" Upton situation on our hands. And we can't afford another one of those while trying to rebuild.

War Machine Dawg
04-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Peterson has been horrible offensively. I am a fan and had hopes for him, but he may just be a utility guy.

This. Peterson is a utility guy who's holding down the fort until Peraza is ready. I'd take Peterson over Callaspo, but neither are great options right now.

msstate7
04-26-2015, 05:33 PM
This. Peterson is a utility guy who's holding down the fort until Peraza is ready. I'd take Peterson over Callaspo, but neither are great options right now.

We're about to find out what we have in Peterson. Fredi said he's gonna play Peterson every day for a while.

smootness
04-26-2015, 07:06 PM
Peterson's basically been playing every day already. He just doesn't seem to have it, at least not yet.

msstate7
04-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Peterson's basically been playing every day already. He just doesn't seem to have it, at least not yet.
While he's played in pretty much every game, he hasn't started and gotten at bats likes a starter. Simmons has 68 ab's compared to peterson's 48 even though they've batted in the same area of the lineup until Simmons moved up yesterday.

msstate7
04-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Peterson has looked good at the plate tonight vs a good pitcher

dawgs
04-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Well that play at 3rd was the epitome of the nats' season thus far. Error, injury, and a freak incident where the runner is out by 10+ feet but literally kicks the glove completely off the hand of Escobar sending the ball rolling away.

msstate7
04-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Well that play at 3rd was the epitome of the nats' season thus far. Error, injury, and a freak incident where the runner is out by 10+ feet but literally kicks the glove completely off the hand of Escobar sending the ball rolling away.

Was tough luck

msstate7
04-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Please Lord don't let uggla hit a hr here

msstate7
04-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Stults and Peterson have been impressive tonight. I'm really pulling for Peterson.

msstate7
04-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Throwing at Simmons. This will be a fun series this year.

4 errors by nats

smootness
04-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Peterson has hit well tonight, though he's had some hiccups in the field.

I like him and hope he sticks, but he seems like a super utility guy to me.

Desmond is terrible.

msstate7
04-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Peterson has hit well tonight, though he's had some hiccups in the field.

I like him and hope he sticks, but he seems like a super utility guy to me.

Desmond is terrible.

Yeah Peterson has been ugly in the field. I don't think it will be common though. I like his glove

smootness
04-27-2015, 09:32 PM
Always sweet to beat the Nats. Hope Peterson isn't developing some form of the yips. 3 bad throws in 2 innings from second base.

msstate7
04-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Scherzer is scratched tomorrow and Teheran going. Need Teheran to get going again

shoeless joe
04-28-2015, 07:00 AM
Total bush league throwing at Simmons...but I saw it coming from a mile away. Told the wife I had to see his next at bat cuz I figured they'd hit him. Although it isn't like he did anything to intentionally hurt Escobar. Knowing Matt Williams and the way he played he's prolly hoping for a melee this series to get his team fired up and playing better.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 07:44 AM
Total bush league throwing at Simmons...but I saw it coming from a mile away. Told the wife I had to see his next at bat cuz I figured they'd hit him. Although it isn't like he did anything to intentionally hurt Escobar. Knowing Matt Williams and the way he played he's prolly hoping for a melee this series to get his team fired up and playing better.

So do we retaliate today or wait? I say wait till rendon is back and watch the benches clear haha

shoeless joe
04-28-2015, 09:27 AM
I don't hit anyone with Teheran. Can't afford to lose him rite now. But I think a brush back pitch early on may be in order.

Since the Nats did feel it necessary to hit Simmons, I will give them credit for going about it the rite way...below the waist. Send a message with no chance of an injury.

dawgs
04-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Nats definitely need a brawl.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Peterson with 2 more hits tonight.

8 runs last night
9 in the 2nd tonight.

Nats are really struggling.

shoeless joe
04-28-2015, 07:12 PM
If this score holds the Nats will try to insight something at some point tonite...

msstate7
04-28-2015, 07:15 PM
In a 9-2 game, nats are burning Roark too. Glad we won't see him tomorrow in contested game

shoeless joe
04-28-2015, 07:24 PM
AAAANNNDDDD that was intentional. Again tho, below the waist...message sent.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 07:24 PM
This is gonna end in a fight

msstate7
04-28-2015, 07:32 PM
That's what I wanna see out of ff. When he's hitting doubles, he's at his best. I think he fell in love with the long ball for a couple weeks.

Aj is looking great

msstate7
04-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Teheran continues to stink. No way around it, Teheran has been garbage this year

msstate7
04-28-2015, 09:26 PM
Uggla has destroyed us. I blame Teheran though. This game should've been over

dawgs
04-28-2015, 09:30 PM
UGGLA!!!

msstate7
04-28-2015, 09:33 PM
UGGLA!!!

Remember when I kept saying he'd make your team and kill us. I knew it would happen.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 09:41 PM
One more start like this and Teheran should get a little tour of Gwinnett/pearl.

shoeless joe
04-28-2015, 09:52 PM
One more start like this and Teheran should get a little tour of Gwinnett/pearl.

Over react much?

Tough loss but only counts as 1. Only 3 or 4 of the runs he gave up were earned...not saying he pitched great but it wasn't "send him down" bad. In the grand scheme of things tonite was worse for the marlins and mets than it was for us. Prolly just woke the Nats up.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 09:57 PM
Over react much?

Tough loss but only counts as 1. Only 3 or 4 of the runs he gave up were earned...not saying he pitched great but it wasn't "send him down" bad. In the grand scheme of things tonite was worse for the marlins and mets than it was for us. Prolly just woke the Nats up.

Yeah, I'm pissed. I do overreact, but this is teheran's 3rd straight egg though

shoeless joe
04-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I'm pissed. I do overreact, but this is teheran's 3rd straight egg though

Agreed. But he's our ace. He ain't goin nowhere. And like I said if callaspo fields the grounder this is a non issue.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Agreed. But he's our ace. He ain't goin nowhere. And like I said if callaspo fields the grounder this is a non issue.

Stults is our ace now haha

I really do think miller will pass Teheran this year. Teheran was terrible all thru ST. He did seem to right the ship in his first 2 starts, but since he took that line drive off his knee he hasn't been the same. He could be hurt and not saying anything

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Dan Uggla might be my all-time most hated MLB player. **** that guy. And **** Frank Wren for ever trading for him, much less signing him to a massive extension and making him the highest paid 2B in MLB.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Dan Uggla might be my all-time most hated MLB player. **** that guy. And **** Frank Wren for ever trading for him, much less signing him to a massive extension and making him the highest paid 2B in MLB.

Hopefully uggla's performance the last 2 days will be enough to keep him on the nats' roster. Uggla hit a grand slam last year for us early to beat the Phillies and we know how last year turned out.

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2015, 11:33 PM
Hopefully uggla's performance the last 2 days will be enough to keep him on the nats' roster. Uggla hit a grand slam last year for us early to beat the Phillies and we know how last year turned out.

Who cares? He's been a Braves killer his whole career, whether wearing an opposing uniform or our uniform. And we're still paying him a handsome sum to beat us. Frank Wren should be tied to a whipping post in the center of The Ted and Braves fans should be allowed to lash him with a leather strap for ever bringing Dan to Atlanta.

Dawg61
04-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Who cares? He's been a Braves killer his whole career, whether wearing an opposing uniform or our uniform. And we're still paying him a handsome sum to beat us. Frank Wren should be tied to a whipping post in the center of The Ted and Braves fans should be allowed to lash him with a leather strap for ever bringing Dan to Atlanta.

Pretty sure Uggla is the highest paid player this year for the Braves.

smootness
04-29-2015, 12:04 AM
I went to that game tonight, and my mind is blown.

Never thought this team would score 7 runs in an inning or 12 in a game all year, and tonight was the second time we've done both. 17 hits, 24 base runners. All crazy things, super fun to watch.

And then we let Span, Lobaton, and Dan Freaking Uggla beat us. Then before B9, they played a montage of Braves comeback wins, and in the first, the winning run was scored by...Dan Uggla.

Tonight was the best of times. Tonight was the worst of times.

Kill me now.