PDA

View Full Version : Good article on Manny's D. and what we should expect.

Maroons
04-05-2015, 04:18 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/4/2/8320141/mississippi-state-football-2015-manny-diaz-defense

sleepy dawg
04-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Good read, thanks for posting. I love his style. If you focus only on some bad plays, or in the short term, you might be scratching your head and wondering how this is an effective style of defense, but when you pay attention to the numbers and the net gains, it is a very effective style.

To quote the article:
"it frequently results in three-and-out drives that give Diaz's offense good field position. It encourages third-and-long scenarios, in which the offense is pressured to make a play and turn it over.

If a team's reward for a 10-yard gain is merely a reminder that it has four tries to do it again, the calculus says that defensive aggression is sensible. If a defense gives up a 13-yard gain on first down after kicking off, then a 6-yard gain, then inflicts a 2-yard loss, it's looking at third-and-6 in the offense's territory, a winning situation for the defense. Why not?"

We're going to see occasional lapses from the aggressiveness, but it pays off more than it costs. The key is have a strong front with good tackling safeties, which means we'll definitely need to improve our tackling in the off season, but I for one am very excited to see this defense.

Todd4State
04-05-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm pretty excited to see what Manny can do. In hindsight, him going to Texas was a bad move.

I think the most important thing is that we get good safety play. I'm worried about Evans and Coman. Neither one of them have very good instincts. We need Market to be healthy and we need Peters to be ready. And if Market isn't ready we need Bryant and McLaurin to be ready.