PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh Andrew Harrison

Dawg61
04-04-2015, 11:41 PM
better duck. This probably gets locked but it's very newsworthy so I'm posting it.

http://youtu.be/XRJOsJIjAuU

thf24
04-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Lately it seems like athletes right and left are forgetting what a microphone is and what it does.

Todd4State
04-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Lately it seems like athletes right and left are forgetting what a microphone is and what it does.

Apparently he forgot that Kaminsky is white too.

ScottH
04-05-2015, 12:42 AM
And good lord can you imagine if Kaminsky said about Harrison.

JohnnyQuid
04-05-2015, 02:46 AM
And good lord can you imagine if Kaminsky said about Harrison.

He'd be all but shunned out of a career in basketball by the media

civildawg
04-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Yep. It's such a double standard. Frick him, I hope he has fun in the D league the rest of his life

bulldawg28
04-05-2015, 07:13 AM
Oh gawd not this political crap again. Get over it Kentucky lost they played with pose and yet were outcoached.

Dawgface
04-05-2015, 07:32 AM
I was glad last night when KY bit the dust. Even more so now.

GreenheadDawg
04-05-2015, 08:50 AM
What did he say? I can't understand him

MadisonDawg
04-05-2015, 10:12 AM
What did he say? I can't understand him

F*** that N****

Saltydog
04-05-2015, 10:18 AM
chastise Mr. Harrison.

CadaverDawg
04-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Oh gawd not this political crap again. Get over it Kentucky lost they played with pose and yet were outcoached.

Yea because if it was the other way around, people would simply "get over it", right?**

Ifyouonlyknew
04-05-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm not going to get in to this whole back & forth on a sports msg board but the intent would be totally different if it was said the other way around.

TUSK
04-05-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm not going to get in to this whole back & forth on a sports msg board but the intent would be totally different if it was said the other way around.

just curious, but how do you know the "intent" in someone?

is it possible for a white person to say the word with that same non-offending intent that Mr Harrison had when he said it....?

if Mr Harrison called someone of Jewish lineage "a fukin' hook nosed Yid" what would his intent be, then?

Is there a class I can take to learn how to determine the "content of one's character", and, if so, would I be eligible for tuition assistance due to my "white privilege"?

bluelightstar
04-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Personally, I think the proper analogy would be if Harrison said something like "f*ck that cr*cker." So to me, the double standard would be if there was no outcry about Harrison calling Kaminsky a racial slur that refers to a white guy. While this was immature, stupid, and wrong, Kaminsky doesn't fit anyone's definition of the n-word: Harrison would.

TUSK
04-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Personally, I think the proper analogy would be if Harrison said something like "f*ck that cr*cker." So to me, the double standard would be if there was no outcry about Harrison calling Kaminsky a racial slur that refers to a white guy. While this was immature, stupid, and wrong, Kaminsky doesn't fit anyone's definition of the n-word: Harrison would.

that's reasonable, B-star... do you think he will/should get punished for his remarks?

Coach34
04-05-2015, 01:17 PM

agreed

Coach34
04-05-2015, 01:24 PM
People just want to find things to be pissed about. Kentucky got beat on by a badddddd white boy. In baseball or football its no big deal because those games have great players from both races. Basketball has kinda evolved into the "black man's sport" so to speak- so when night's like last night happen it's good for basketball and makes for a good story. Unless you were the one guarding the white guy.

Him saying it the way he did is a street way of saying it about anybody. There is no story here. It's the equivalent of Whitey saying "**** that dude"

ScottH
04-05-2015, 01:25 PM
that's reasonable, B-star... do you think he will/should get punished for his remarks?

Calipari says no as of this AM.

Of course, hard to punish someone not in class and their career is over.

gravedigger
04-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Is there a class I can take to learn how to determine the "content of one's character", and, if so, would I be eligible for tuition assistance due to my "white privilege"?

"How do you know the intent"......."would i be eligible...due to white privilege?"

Seems like you only have to wait for someone to finish their thought, no?"

Just kidding. You know im your yidda

Saltydog
04-05-2015, 02:20 PM
go away then the double standard must not be accepted either. The N word isn't a term of endearment whether you direct it to a black person or a white person. Black America must stop using this derogatory term if they want other races to do the same.

RougeDawg
04-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Personally I'm not offended by "cracker" or any other term. They are just words uttered by an ignorant person. The only thing that offends me is how easily people are offended these days. This nation has set a disturbing precedent the last 30-40 years with how easily people can scream they are offended and get something or someone to change. If someone doesn't like something they just make up some reason to be offended to force change.

And yes the double standard is ridiculous but the only people to blame are the ones who have allowed it to occur and not stand up for themselves. Until some logic is brought back into society and we stop letting a small few control the actions of everyone, it will continue. Most people could care less about these things but the media and activists blow things out of proportion, until the casual observer takes notice.

TUSK
04-05-2015, 03:01 PM
"How do you know the intent"......."would i be eligible...due to white privilege?"

Seems like you only have to wait for someone to finish their thought, no?"

Just kidding. You know im your yidda

Jeaux Boy!

dawgs
04-05-2015, 03:02 PM

Stop using nuance and seeing things in shades of grey instead of painting everything black and white with no room to have a reasonable discussion*******

Ifyouonlyknew
04-05-2015, 03:10 PM
go away then the double standard must not be accepted either. The N word isn't a term of endearment whether you direct it to a black person or a white person. Black America must stop using this derogatory term if they want other races to do the same.

Well it was a racial slur before black people started using it as a term of greeting/endearment. So its not like if black people stop using it then it will go away.

GreenheadDawg
04-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Personally I'm not offended by "cracker" or any other term. They are just words uttered by an ignorant person. The only thing that offends me is how easily people are offended these days. This nation has set a disturbing precedent the last 30-40 years with how easily people can scream they are offended and get something or someone to change. If someone doesn't like something they just make up some reason to be offended to force change.

And yes the double standard is ridiculous but the only people to blame are the ones who have allowed it to occur and not stand up for themselves. Until some logic is brought back into society and we stop letting a small few control the actions of everyone, it will continue. Most people could care less about these things but the media and activists blow things out of proportion, until the casual observer takes notice.

Amen, brother. Amen

Dawg61
04-05-2015, 04:03 PM

Excellent post

Saltydog
04-05-2015, 04:11 PM
was used in the past yet it's used more and more in the black community. We agree it will never go away but the double standard should NOT exist. It's a word that should not be accepted by either race, no matter the context. What Harrison did was wrong and he should be punished. He didn't use it as a term of endearment rather as a negative connotation.

sleepy dawg
04-05-2015, 04:48 PM
He'd be all but shunned out of a career in basketball by the media

Wrong... Not "all but"... He would have no career afterwards.

shoeless joe
04-05-2015, 06:32 PM
I don't care if he'd have said "f*** that dumbass", he should face punishment from the university solely based in how he represented them with that remark. The "N" word being used doesn't make it better or worse...although I do agree there is a ridiculous double standard.

This also shows what has been stated time and time again...a persons true character shows thru when facing adversity. They've been winning all year and he's a choir boy, then they lose and he's a low class jerk. I don't know him but that comment told me a lot about him.

Saltydog
04-05-2015, 06:45 PM
nt

HSVDawg
04-05-2015, 09:25 PM
I'm not sure how many people in this board have regularly interacted with African Americans or have been exposed to their culture. But for those who haven't done much of either, I'll try to offer my best (admittedly caucasian) understanding. The word "n***a" is basically used interchangeably with how many people would use the word "dude" or "guy", and its not always aimed at other African Americans. I myself have been addressed as "n***a" before, was a bit confusing but it didn't really offend me. Whether the term is right or wrong to use by blacks or non-blacks is certainly not water I'm going to tread in with this post, but thats just how it is. Its a cultural thing.

For the record, I think Harrison is a bit of a classless prick by the way he reacted to the Kaminsky question. But I don't think he's a racist.

hells bells
04-05-2015, 09:57 PM
just curious, but how do you know the "intent" in someone?

is it possible for a white person to say the word with that same non-offending intent that Mr Harrison had when he said it....?

if Mr Harrison called someone of Jewish lineage "a fukin' hook nosed Yid" what would his intent be, then?

TUSK, Harrison will get no punishment for this. The media has not demanded it to my knowledge so it is done. If the shoe was on the other foot the player would be crucified.

Dawg61
04-05-2015, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure how many people in this board have regularly interacted with African Americans or have been exposed to their culture. But for those who haven't done much of either, I'll try to offer my best (admittedly caucasian) understanding. The word "n***a" is basically used interchangeably with how many people would use the word "dude" or "guy", and its not always aimed at other African Americans. I myself have been addressed as "n***a" before, was a bit confusing but it didn't really offend me. Whether the term is right or wrong to use by blacks or non-blacks is certainly not water I'm going to tread in with this post, but thats just how it is. Its a cultural thing.

For the record, I think Harrison is a bit of a classless prick by the way he reacted to the Kaminsky question. But I don't think he's a racist.

The problem is the double-standard. Had Sam Decker said it towards Harrison he would be crucified for it. Tell us we can't use the word. Fine. Crucify us when we do. Fine. Let someone else get away with doing exactly what we can't. Not fine. Be fair. This isn't a race issue. It's a rules issue. Be fair with the rules for everyone or DONT have the rules for ANYONE.

Reason2succeed
04-06-2015, 12:44 AM

I am black and I concur. Thanks.

He should be punished because the word is profanity.

If any of you want to use the word be my guest but just understand that any person that uses the racial epithets that other races use for themselves will be seen as a racist. Period.
Hispanic people call each other racial slurs that apply to Hispanics.
Asians use racial slurs that apply to Asians. I've even heard women call each other profane names.
Is it immature, yes, but get over it.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-06-2015, 07:06 AM
The problem is the double-standard. Had Sam Decker said it towards Harrison he would be crucified for it. Tell us we can't use the word. Fine. Crucify us when we do. Fine. Let someone else get away with doing exactly what we can't. Not fine. Be fair. This isn't a race issue. It's a rules issue. Be fair with the rules for everyone or DONT have the rules for ANYONE.

My question is why would you want to be able to say it? I see/hear that all the time. If blacks can say it why can't we? I've always wondered why would you want to say it.

bluelightstar
04-06-2015, 08:37 AM

Again, you're creating a false equivalency. BLACK person using WHITE racial slur = WHITE person using BLACK racial slur.

Coach34
04-06-2015, 09:26 AM

im sorry to inform but you but there are double standards and lots of bullshit at play in society today

Dawg61
04-06-2015, 10:23 AM
My question is why would you want to be able to say it? I see/hear that all the time. If blacks can say it why can't we? I've always wondered why would you want to say it.

I don't care to say it. I just want the double-standard eliminated.