PDA

View Full Version : Any first hand scrimmage updates?

Harrydawg
04-03-2015, 11:36 AM
I twitter action...looks like Nicky Fitz is lighting it up.

Really Clark?
04-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Sorry not there but was told from someone that the offense looks fantastic, Fitz playing really well, and Bell is still not the answer at kicker. Missed very short FG and extra point.

msstate7
04-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Who are you following for updates?

War Machine Dawg
04-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Sorry not there but was told from someone that the offense looks fantastic, Fitz playing really well, and Bell is still not the answer at kicker. Missed very short FG and extra point.

http://i.imgur.com/1pZJNJb.gif

Seriously, how ****ing hard is it to hold open tryouts and find a mother****ing kicker? I guarantee you we have someone on campus who played soccer in HS and/or kicked in HS who is better than the assclowns we have. But Mullen is going to be a stubborn bastard and run the same guys out there to **** up and cost us games aGAIN this season. It pisses me off that he just completely ignores such a crucial part of the game and won't make the most obvious move to fix the problem.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Bell is mental. He's made a 50yd & 37yd fg but has missed a 22yd & PAT. If he ever gets the mental part down he has a NFL leg.

msstate7
04-03-2015, 12:07 PM
If bell isn't kicking fg's this fall, he should be encouraged to transfer. If Cooke is punting, we can't keep bell on scholarship.

Nevermind. Thought bell was a junior, not senior

War Machine Dawg
04-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Bell is mental. He's made a 50yd & 37yd fg but has missed a 22yd & PAT. If he ever gets the mental part down he has a NFL leg.

But that's the problem. He's been a head case his entire career. We're saying the same damn thing about him as a SR that we were saying about him as a FR - "Great leg, total head case." At some point you just have to admit he doesn't have it between the ears as a K and won't ever have it. Hold open tryouts and find a K, dammit!

Really Clark?
04-03-2015, 12:27 PM

Yeah was about to post what he made as well. I wonder if it's like the yipes in golf with him. In practice he hits a lot but any game type of pressure and he has problems. Maybe it's his focus and he needs Ritalin or beta blockers. The leg strength has never been the issue. Maybe a little change in style and/or kicking philosophy. Idk

maroonmania
04-03-2015, 01:06 PM

For FG kicker you need a guy that can consistently put it between the posts. Bell can't do that. Distance is just an added luxury. Give me a guy that can knock down 12 of 14 FGs but didn't have one over 45 yards or so like Sobiesk did last year and I'm quite happy. If a guy can kick one from 65 yards but is only accurate 50% of the time from shorter ranges then I don't want that guy kicking FGs for me.

BrunswickDawg
04-03-2015, 02:48 PM
QB ? Dak Prescott (15-of-28, 247 yards, 1 TD) Nick Fitzgerald (23-of-34, 247 yards, 3 TD)

My Boy Nick Fitz lightin' it up

smootness
04-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Is Fitz playing against the 2nd team D? If so, no offense to him, but that isn't promising for that unit.

Also, what games did our kickers cost us last year? Just wondering.

Really Clark?
04-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Is Fitz playing against the 2nd team D? If so, no offense to him, but that isn't promising for that unit.

Fitz was going against 2nd team D. But was told he still threw the ball and ran the offense very well. Sobiesk did very well last year and finished top 10 (??) in the nation last year. Wish he had stayed another year. Bell is still too inconsistent.

BrunswickDawg
04-03-2015, 03:38 PM

Don't you mean 1B's?***

HancockCountyDog
04-03-2015, 05:28 PM
I didn't go to game, but a good buddy did and here is the text I got:

Dak looks great, no surprise. Fitz looked great, pretty solid surprise.

Second team defense has a long way to go. There will not be a 1B situation this year, there won't be enough quality bodies on the DL.

Jones still needs to lose weight.

LBs all look fast as hell. Secondary except Will is a work in progress, they couldn't do anything with our WR corps.

Our WRs are as good as ever, and Bear didn't even play.

Jocquell Jackson was a wasted scholly.

We still don't have a kicker.

We are going to miss Malcolm Johnson.

Overall, offense looks great, I'm deeply concerned about defense.

I cannot vouch for any of these comments, but he played for MSU for a season and is usually pretty straight forward in his assessments.

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Remember we have a brand new defensive coordinator who is installing new things on defense and he is going against a Senior Heisman Trophy contending QB that has all his receivers back.

Needless to say, the defense may take a little while to come together. The good thing is that our offense will prepare them well, since they are more than capable of exposing all their problems.

People usually say defense is ahead this time of year, but, with what we have retuning on offense, I don't see how that could be the case.

msstate7
04-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Remember we have a brand new defensive coordinator who is installing new things on defense and he is going against a Senior Heisman Trophy contending QB that has all his receivers back.

Needless to say, the defense may take a little while to come together. The good thing is that our offense will prepare them well, since they are more than capable of exposing all their problems.

People usually say defense is ahead this time of year, but, with what we have retuning on offense, I don't see how that could be the case.

Just need the defense ready for the lsu game

Dawgcentral
04-03-2015, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure how much real insight can be gained from this scrimmage. From what i can tell, we had a lot of very young people in there most of the time just getting reps to see how they handle it.

Place kicking is all together different. Has Dan met the soccer coach? (women's or men's). Do they not get along?

Let's get someone that can make 90% from 35 yards and in. Don't JUCO's have kickers? Tired of holding my breath along 60,000 others for chip shots and extra points.

Coach34
04-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Here's what I know about our defense- these guys are good SEC football players:

Benni Brown
Chris Jones
Ryan Brown
AJ Jefferson
Richey Brown
Will Redmond
Taveze Calhoun

We got to find 7-8 more to go with them

Really Clark?
04-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Here's what I know about our defense- these guys are good SEC football players:

Benni Brown
Chris Jones
Ryan Brown
AJ Jefferson
Richey Brown
Will Redmond
Taveze Calhoun

We got to find 7-8 more to go with them

I think Nelson Adams and Gerri Green is there as well. I think we have 2-3 more DL close but either it's experience issue or just becoming a complete player and just react. Coman, Bryant, and Gray just need to keep taking their steps and progressing. Do believe the D might have to mature during next season to reach some of their potentional, especially if we play some true freshman a lot.

Really Clark?
04-03-2015, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure how much real insight can be gained from this scrimmage. From what i can tell, we had a lot of very young people in there most of the time just getting reps to see how they handle it.

Place kicking is all together different. Has Dan met the soccer coach? (women's or men's). Do they not get along?

Let's get someone that can make 90% from 35 yards and in. Don't JUCO's have kickers? Tired of holding my breath along 60,000 others for chip shots and extra points.

Sobiesk was very good last year. Pretty automatic 40 yards in. By half way through the season I wasn't worried about the shorter ones.

Dawgowar
04-03-2015, 06:44 PM
HAILSTATEBEAT - Quote from Dan on the D, one could read a lot of things between the lines on this. Wonder if he was facing towards Gainesville with his middle finger extended when he spoke these words -

https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2015/04/03/freshmen-impress-in-msus-first-spring-scrimmage/

“You see some definite improvements,” Mullen said of the defense under Manny Diaz. “You see some things that are going to be drastic differences from what we’ve done before. Trusting their job, trusting their teammates, trusting all the fits and not just sitting there.”

Bothrops
04-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Our defense is going to be a work in progress for most of the season, I'm afraid. If USM scores more than 10 on us, our defense won't be ready for LSU.

msstate7
04-03-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm not ready to panic about the defense yet. Somehow I doubt manny was bringing the pain against Dak and fitz

HancockCountyDog
04-03-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm not ready to panic about the defense yet. Somehow I doubt manny was bringing the pain against Dak and fitz

Does anyone if Dak was actually taking hits? Im assuming he wasn't, but I couldn't figure that out from the Q&A on 24/7.

Dog316
04-03-2015, 08:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1pZJNJb.gif

Seriously, how ****ing hard is it to hold open tryouts and find a mother****ing kicker? I guarantee you we have someone on campus who played soccer in HS and/or kicked in HS who is better than the assclowns we have. But Mullen is going to be a stubborn bastard and run the same guys out there to **** up and cost us games aGAIN this season. It pisses me off that he just completely ignores such a crucial part of the game and won't make the most obvious move to fix the problem.

^^^^^

does your Mommy know you talk like that in public? I know she would be disappointed with your foul mouth.

MadisonDawg
04-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Does anyone if Dak was actually taking hits? Im assuming he wasn't, but I couldn't figure that out from the Q&A on 24/7.

In the video bonner put up someone asked Dan about some of the guys hitting Dak, guys like C. Jones, AJ Jefferson and Ryan brown. Said that Dak's a big boy and can take a couple hits or something along those lines.

HancockCountyDog
04-03-2015, 08:31 PM
In the video bonner put up someone asked Dan about some of the guys hitting Dak, guys like C. Jones, AJ Jefferson and Ryan brown. Said that Dak's a big boy and can take a couple hits or something along those lines.

Yeah, I saw that, I just can't imagine we are letting him get hit. I could be wrong, but just can't believe it. I'm waiting to hear back from buddy, but so far, nada.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-03-2015, 08:35 PM
They were giving him a few shoves & pushes after the play.

Dallas_Dawg
04-03-2015, 08:57 PM
They were giving him a few shoves & pushes after the play.

We need to have that edge. Let them get after it, Dan.

Schultzy
04-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Jesse Jackson is a physical receiver and made a very difficult catch that was thrown low, scored a td as well.

Will Redmond is returning punts and kick offs, he looked fast.

I thought Graves kicked well. We need a punter.

Elton Jenkins is built like a fifth yr senior.

Shumpert looked quicker than I remember him being last season.

maroonmania
04-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Jesse Jackson is a physical receiver and made a very difficult catch that was thrown low, scored a td as well.

Will Redmond is returning punts and kick offs, he looked fast.

I thought Graves kicked well. We need a punter.

Elton Jenkins is built like a fifth yr senior.

Shumpert looked quicker than I remember him being last season.

Pathetic, it seems that though we are using up 2 scholarships on kickers (Bell and Cooke), from reading reports we are still in dire need of both a FG kicker and a punter. Hey, but sure glad to know those 2 scholarships might be getting us one decent kick off guy.

Really Clark?
04-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Pathetic, it seems that though we are using up 2 scholarships on kickers (Bell and Cooke), from reading reports we are still in dire need of both a FG kicker and a punter. Hey, but sure glad to know those 2 scholarships might be getting us one decent kick off guy.

Punting is fine. Cooke punted a 62 yarder yesterday. Between him and Bell we shouldn't worry about punting at all

CadaverDawg
04-04-2015, 10:18 AM
I heard Fred Brown, Jesse Jackson, and BJ Hammond caught quite a few passes and looked good.

Apparently Dear caught 6-8 out of the backfield. Todd will be glad to know that Rashun caught a pass out of the backfield as H back.

Apparently Aeris looked really good at RB, and Shump looks quick.

Green was a beast on D leading in tackles, and Gray was right with him. We have to have those 2 on the field. Great instincts and a nose for the ball.

Fitz looked surprisingly sharp throwing the ball I was told. I think he's our next QB, and I've thought it since last Spring. Dude gets better every single day I'm told

That's all I've got

Political Hack
04-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Manny wasn't calling the D to shut them down yesterday. He was playing outside leverage with the DBs and running quick blitzes. Giving up the slants and inside throws while blitzing... He's experimenting right now. Nothing more, nothing less.

War Machine Dawg
04-04-2015, 11:51 AM
^^^^^

does your Mommy know you talk like that in public? I know she would be disappointed with your foul mouth.

http://i.imgur.com/If8hot2.gif

http://i.imgur.com/h2KQnub.gif

1bigdawg
04-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Fitz looked surprisingly sharp throwing the ball I was told. I think he's our next QB, and I've thought it since last Spring. Dude gets better every single day I'm told.

I believe Staley is the more talented athlete and is reputed to have the better arm, but Fitz is getting a lot more experience by getting here early and by staying healthy. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Also, Williams being hurt may allow Fitz to pass him on the depth chart in the fall.

DownwardDawg
04-04-2015, 12:07 PM
I heard Fred Brown, Jesse Jackson, and BJ Hammond caught quite a few passes and looked good.

Apparently Dear caught 6-8 out of the backfield. Todd will be glad to know that Rashun caught a pass out of the backfield as H back.

Apparently Aeris looked really good at RB, and Shump looks quick.

Green was a beast on D leading in tackles, and Gray was right with him. We have to have those 2 on the field. Great instincts and a nose for the ball.

Fitz looked surprisingly sharp throwing the ball I was told. I think he's our next QB, and I've thought it since last Spring. Dude gets better every single day I'm told

That's all I've got

I've thought this for a while also. He just seems like a natural fit in our offense. His early arrival was huge.

HSVDawg
04-04-2015, 12:15 PM
QB ? Dak Prescott (15-of-28, 247 yards, 1 TD) Nick Fitzgerald (23-of-34, 247 yards, 3 TD)

My Boy Nick Fitz lightin' it up

So has Fitzgerald already overtaken Damien Williams for the #2 spot? What were Williams' stats?

Really Clark?
04-04-2015, 12:20 PM
So has Fitzgerald already overtaken Damien Williams for the #2 spot? What were Williams' stats?

Williams is out with an injury.

NCDawg
04-04-2015, 12:39 PM
Our defense is going to be a work in progress for most of the season, I'm afraid. If USM scores more than 10 on us, our defense won't be ready for LSU.

I understand we currently have Jackson, Evans, and Cleveland in the starting lineup on defense. Unless they have improved a heck of a lot from last year, I'm afraid we could possibly have trouble at those positions.

Really Clark?
04-04-2015, 12:50 PM
I understand we currently have Jackson, Evans, and Cleveland in the starting lineup on defense. Unless they have improved a heck of a lot from last year, I'm afraid we could possibly have trouble at those positions.

It's the spring and we have Calhoun and Market out and this fall you add a bunch of players. And with Jackson with better safety help last year we wouldn't have fans thinking so bad about him. Very very few LB (pro's included) can cover one on one like Wells can.

CadaverDawg
04-04-2015, 12:59 PM
It's the spring and we have Calhoun and Market out and this fall you add a bunch of players. And with Jackson with better safety help last year we wouldn't have fans thinking so bad about him. Very very few LB (pro's included) can cover one on one like Wells can.

Yep. I bet nobody was more pissed at Collins than Zach Jackson last year. Jackson isn't fast enough to cover guys that Matt Wells could cover. Collins knew that but continued to put him out there in position to fail. That was on Collins. I think Jackson can have a big year if utilized properly. He's not as fast as Wells, but he's fast enough to be hell as a blitzing linebacker off the edge IMO.