preachermatt83
04-02-2015, 07:03 PM
We could triple it...

James Schlossnagle: $433,698

Coach34
04-02-2015, 07:38 PM
We could triple it...

Triple it????? Does Cohen even make 500K????

preachermatt83
04-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Cohen makes right at 800 k

Todd4State
04-02-2015, 10:12 PM
TCU plays about as much small ball as Cohen right now- and they have half as many home runs as we have hit this year as well. In a weaker conference.

ShotgunDawg
04-02-2015, 10:42 PM
We could triple it...

You don't want this guy at MSU. He's not a very good coach & even a worse person.

You have to keep in mind that TCU is one of, if not the, easiest college baseball coaching job in America.

Here is why:

1. College baseball is won with pitching
2. The Dallas Ft Worth area, down the I45 corridor, and North Houston, is ABSOLUTELY the best pitching high school pitching & where the most velocity & projectable velocity in found on the planet. Look at the history of high school pitchers to come out of Texas for further proof. Dallas Baptist has 5 pitchers that throw 95 mph or harder. MSU has 1
3. TCU has a big ball park, so this plays right into TCU's recruiting strength.
4. With TCU going to the Big 12, offering a quality education, & being blessed to have extremely affluent high schools (Southlake Carroll, Coppell, Flower Mound, Colleyville Heritage, etc..) within their recruiting zone, they are able to offer the prospects at these schools everything they could want in a college & baseball program.

It would honestly be embarrassing to not win at TCU. They have the capability to cherry pick from 20+ 92 mph+ arms within the DFW area each year. Texas will grab 1, A&M will grab 1 or 2, & TCU will find the 3 or 4 that want to stay close to home.

Surround that talent with a little speed and guys that can pick it, and you have the ingredients of a CWS program. They use the same philosophy that MSU does in building their team, except they have an incredible local recruiting ground to pluck power arms.

Todd4State
04-02-2015, 10:55 PM
You don't want this guy at MSU. He's not a very good coach & even a worse person.

You have to keep in mind that TCU is one of, if not the, easiest college baseball coaching job in America.

Here is why:

1. College baseball is won with pitching
2. The Dallas Ft Worth area, down the I45 corridor, and North Houston, is ABSOLUTELY the best pitching high school pitching & where the most velocity & projectable velocity in found on the planet. Look at the history of high school pitchers to come out of Texas for further proof. Dallas Baptist has 5 pitchers that throw 95 mph or harder. MSU has 1
3. TCU has a big ball park, so this plays right into TCU's recruiting strength.
4. With TCU going to the Big 12, offering a quality education, & being blessed to have extremely affluent high schools (Southlake Carroll, Coppell, Flower Mound, Colleyville Heritage, etc..) within their recruiting zone, they are able to offer the prospects at these schools everything they could want in a college & baseball program.

It would honestly be embarrassing to not win at TCU. They have the capability to cherry pick from 20+ 92 mph+ arms within the DFW area each year. Texas will grab 1, A&M will grab 1 or 2, & TCU will find the 3 or 4 that want to stay close to home.

Surround that talent with a little speed and guys that can pick it, and you have the ingredients of a CWS program. They use the same philosophy that MSU does in building their team, except they have an incredible local recruiting ground to pluck power arms.

I would think that at least one or two of those power arms would like to come to MSU. Maybe Parker Ford is a good start.

ShotgunDawg
04-02-2015, 11:10 PM
I would think that at least one or two of those power arms would like to come to MSU. Maybe Parker Ford is a good start.

BINGO!!!!!

Instead of trying to take TCU's coach, we'd be much better served to just take some of the pitchers in that area. That's the key ingredient

Todd4State
04-02-2015, 11:17 PM
BINGO!!!!!

Instead of trying to take TCU's coach, we'd be much better served to just take some of the pitchers in that area. That's the key ingredient

Alright let me hijack the hell out of this.

Where are some power hitters that we can get to campus?

And don't get me wrong- I love Mississippi high school baseball. But the reality is we're usually going to get like 5-6 guys in a really good year out of the state. I'm all for getting guys like Austin Riley and Humphreys- but we've got to supplement them.

BrunswickDawg
04-03-2015, 06:28 AM

And don't get me wrong- I love Mississippi high school baseball. But the reality is we're usually going to get like 5-6 guys in a really good year out of the state. I'm all for getting guys like Austin Riley and Humphreys- but we've got to supplement them.
East Cobb Astros and some of the Gwinnett County leagues (Metro ATL)

Coach34
04-03-2015, 06:43 AM
We've got to spend more scholly money on hitters to get them- that's not happening

engie
04-03-2015, 06:45 AM
East Cobb Astros and some of the Gwinnett County leagues (Metro ATL)

Very little chance on the type of hitters Todd is talking about. The kids on that level around ATL grow up dreaming of the show and the Braves, rather than dreaming of the show via MSU. I'd say that those guys from pro states are less likely to actually show up than a power hitter from the non-pro states around us like La, Ms, Ark, Bama because college baseball is a much bigger part of the overall fabric of the baseball culture in the areas...

I'm all for recruiting that area harder. But we're talking Alex Bregman-type hitters here. We've got to get lucky to get guys like Pickett, Vallot, Collins(who was injured his SR year and thus hurt his draft stock), etc. I don't see that changing anytime soon... Gotta keep going after those guys -- I just wish we would have things work out and hit on a couple...

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2015, 08:29 AM

Ok, so there are obviously exceptions, but traditionally, you can draw a T shape that starts in Texas, runs up through OK & Missouri and then branches off to Indiana, Ohio, & Pennsylvania to the East & state of Washington to the West. This is where you find your pitchers.

Traditionally, pitchers come from the middle of the country, due to less arm use & heartier genes, & bats comes from the coast starting in FL, GA, & the Carolinas to East & Southern Cal & Phoenix in the West. This is because they play year around baseball & get thousands more ABs than kids in the middle of the country. Year around baseball is good for hitters & bad for pitchers.

MSU has done a good job of getting our position players from FL & California & I think you'll continue to see this.

The problem in college baseball is that you have to choose between power or speed, but the guys that have both are PRIME targets for the MLB draft. If you get a guy like that, there is usually a reason.

Due to that, I, personally, don't have a huge problem with our roster construction of offensive players, because I understand the what types of players college programs have to target & how few of them there are. Perhaps, our offensive approach could use some refinement, but the roster construction I understand.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of power arms. About 3 weeks ago, we lost a few games in the 8th & 9th inning, due to not having the power arms that we should. We win those games, and we are mostly happy right now, as I think losing those games cost the team some real confidence.

We must bring in more power arms to become the program we want to be.