PDA

View Full Version : How did Croom not make this list??

MadDawg
04-02-2015, 12:08 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/10-worst-sec-hires-post-bear-bryant/

Johnson85
04-02-2015, 12:20 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/10-worst-sec-hires-post-bear-bryant/

Yeah, whether you are looking at how things worked out or how inexplicable the hire was at the time combined with how things worked out, it seems pretty clear Crooms should be higher than some of the people mentioned.

Dawg Corps
04-02-2015, 12:22 PM
In his defense he really excelled at calling both of the plays in his playbook: 1) Anthony Dixon up the middle 2) Anthony Dixon up the middle.

maroonmania
04-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Not politically correct to do so is likely the main reason given the groundbreaking hire it was.

BulldogDX55
04-02-2015, 12:47 PM
In his defense he really excelled at calling both of the plays in his playbook: 1) Anthony Dixon up the middle 2) Anthony Dixon up the middle.

Gotta love his favorite play series: Up the middle, Up the middle, Incomplete Pass, Punt.

Bothrops
04-02-2015, 01:02 PM
For the same reason some of the media people scolded us for firing him.

BulldogBear
04-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Gotta love his favorite play series: Up the middle, Up the middle, Incomplete Pass, Punt.

It's actually:

Up the middle for 2 yards
Up the middle for -1 yard
Incomplete 3 yard pass on 3rd and 9
...and of course...punt

thf24
04-02-2015, 01:32 PM
It's actually:

...and of course...punt

Too bad we never got to see a QB in year 5 of his offense to see what it really looked like. **

starkvegasdawg
04-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Too bad we never got to see a QB in year 5 of his offense to see what it really looked like. **

The 3yd pass would be complete to bring up 4th and 7...which he would have gone for on his own 15 but punted at the opponent's 40.

smootness
04-02-2015, 02:56 PM
It's because of where we were when he was hired and for the simple fact that it is Mississippi State, so less is expected.

Winning 3 games at Florida is far worse than winning 3 games at Mississippi State.

And people know that he inherited a mess. Sherrill won 8 games his last 3 years and left with NCAA sanctions on the program. I get that State fans think Croom was atrocious, and there are facts to back up some of those claims. But just because Mullen inherited a better situation and is a far better coach doesn't necessarily make Croom one of the worst.

DownwardDawg
04-02-2015, 04:26 PM
It's actually:

...and of course...punt

Y'all are all forgetting the Play Action Sack!!!!!!!!! That was my favorite and most successful.

Todd4State
04-02-2015, 05:35 PM
It's because of where we were when he was hired and for the simple fact that it is Mississippi State, so less is expected.

Winning 3 games at Florida is far worse than winning 3 games at Mississippi State.

And people know that he inherited a mess. Sherrill won 8 games his last 3 years and left with NCAA sanctions on the program. I get that State fans think Croom was atrocious, and there are facts to back up some of those claims. But just because Mullen inherited a better situation and is a far better coach doesn't necessarily make Croom one of the worst.

I think you nailed it. The fact of the matter is people don't expect coaches to win at MSU. Never mind the actual on the field results of the past few years.

Drugdog
04-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Punting on the 30 after going for it on the 50 - Deserves to be in " Worst coaching decisions of all time list"

Rick Danko
04-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Punting on the 30 after going for it on the 50 - Deserves to be in " Worst coaching decisions of all time list"

Hell man, he had to go for it on the 50 to make sure we got close enough to the goal line so when we punted it was a guaranteed touchback. Didn't want no damn punt returns back in those days. Strategy and all****

TrapGame
04-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Wes Carroll and Ellis Johnson saved his ass in year four. Wes Carroll actually called audibles and changed plays at the line. He changed a run play into a pass play for a touch down and Croom STILL reamed his ass for changing the play! Yes, Croom should have been on that list.

sayit
04-03-2015, 03:37 PM
He was our last coach to beat Alabama...and did it twice. :cool: :(

Coach34
04-03-2015, 05:55 PM
He was our last coach to beat Alabama...and did it twice. :cool: :(

He was also the last MSU coach to coach against a 6-6 Bama team

Todd4State
04-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Wes Carroll and Ellis Johnson saved his ass in year four. Wes Carroll actually called audibles and changed plays at the line. He changed a run play into a pass play for a touch down and Croom STILL reamed his ass for changing the play! Yes, Croom should have been on that list.

I remember Croom being mad at Josh Riddell because he threw a TD pass, but "it was the wrong read". I thought that was one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.