PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Question...

CadaverDawg
04-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Just heard Colin Cowherd discussing this, so I wanted to see what people think.

If we hadn't hired Howland, what would you have thought if we hired Gino Aureima (sp?), UConn women's coach?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Are you asking would I be OK with it or if he was interested/practical?

TheRef
04-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Just heard Colin Cowherd discussing this, so I wanted to see what people think.

If we hadn't hired Howland, what would you have thought if we hired Gino Aureima (sp?), UConn women's coach?

I don't know how well he would have transitioned from women's to men's basketball. The games are different styles, in my opinion.

preachermatt83
04-02-2015, 11:30 AM
he is a winner. winners win

RiverCityDawg
04-02-2015, 11:49 AM
he is a winner. winners win

...unless they don't have players. Could he recruit? I don't know. I don't think he would be a good fit at State, but I would take a chance on him if I were a smaller program in the northeast.

smootness
04-02-2015, 11:55 AM
I read an interview with him recently where he mentioned that he doesn't know the ins and outs of the men's game, so no, I don't think I would be comfortable with that.

But I also don't know if I would be comfortable with our women's team hiring Coach K for the same reason. He might be able to recruit simply off his name, but you don't really know that.

RossDawg82
04-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Really smoot??? Like what was mentioned above, winners win. I would be comfortable with coach K coaching our volleyball team.

DCdawg
04-02-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm not saying those things are not somewhat true, but Spurrier and Saban didn't just win in the NFL.

Johnson85
04-02-2015, 12:38 PM
I don't know how well he would have transitioned from women's to men's basketball. The games are different styles, in fact.

FTFY. It's just completely different. The level of athleticism is so different they're almost different games. And the different size balls also affect ease of shooting so much that it completely changes the approach you should take for a given set of athletes. You move to men's balls and you'd see significantly different shot selection in the women's game after people figured out the difference.

I still think a good coach would be able to transition and be effective as lots of things are the same (the basics of setting up and running off a screen doesn't really change for example), but it'd be a decent enough adjustment even excluding teh recruiting aspect that I wouldn't expect the transition to be without bumps.

smootness
04-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Really smoot??? Like what was mentioned above, winners win. I would be comfortable with coach K coaching our volleyball team.

Sign Coach K up for the 100 meters. Winners win**

thf24
04-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Not saying any of you are wrong, but sports history is littered with instances of that "winners win" cliche not holding true.

TheRef
04-02-2015, 02:40 PM
There's a reason successful WBK coaches don't move to MBK

RossDawg82
04-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Sign Coach K up for the 100 meters. Winners win**

No he couldn't run the 100 meter, but I bet if he knew the sport, he would be a hell of a coach.

RossDawg82
04-02-2015, 03:13 PM
There's a reason successful WBK coaches don't move to MBK

I get that. But Geno isn't just successful. He is the most successful in the history of the game. I think he would have a leg up over others without a doubt.