PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Sampson

msstate7
04-02-2015, 06:45 AM
4* SG that visiting us. What's our chances with him?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 07:20 AM
Hard to say. LSU seems to be the likely landing spot but with St John's hiring Chris Mullin they feel they have a good chance to get him back.

klong-dog
04-02-2015, 07:34 AM
When is he visiting?

msstate7
04-02-2015, 08:14 AM
When is he visiting?

According to lsu fans on tRant, he's visiting next weekend

msstate7
04-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Hard to say. LSU seems to be the likely landing spot but with St John's hiring Chris Mullin they feel they have a good chance to get him back.

According to lsu fans, Sampson stated he's looking to start next season so they don't feel good about getting him

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 08:19 AM
According to lsu fans, Sampson stated he's looking to start next season so they don't feel good about getting him

Yea but LSU fans on the rant aren't exactly the best of sources. Not saying they're wrong in this but they say a lot of things.

msstate7
04-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Yea but LSU fans on the rant aren't exactly the best of sources. Not saying they're wrong in this but they say a lot of things.

You're right, but usually it's all good for them. When they say something looks bad for them, I give more attention

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 09:39 AM
You're right, but usually it's all good for them. When they say something looks bad for them, I give more attention

Part of that is bc they think they get Malik.

Rayburn8
04-02-2015, 09:53 AM
They don't just think they get Malik, they act like they know they are getting him and that we have no chance.

Coach34
04-02-2015, 10:04 AM
They acted the same way about Peters and Lewis also

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Yea there isn't a player that LSU fans think they won't get if they want him. Nobody can turn down Baton Rouge.

messageboardsuperhero
04-02-2015, 10:07 AM
They don't just think they get Malik, they act like they know they are getting him and that we have no chance.

When was the last time LSU fans actually thought they'd get beat out by us for any recruit? I bet if you went back a few months in the rant recruiting archives, you could find some pretty funny "Leo Lewis and Jamal Peters is a done deal to LSU and nobody else is even close" threads.

Rayburn8
04-02-2015, 10:14 AM
When was the last time LSU fans actually thought they'd get beat out by us for any recruit? I bet if you went back a few months in the rant recruiting archives, you could find some pretty funny "Leo Lewis and Jamal Peters is a done deal to LSU and nobody else is even close" threads.

Ohh there were some pretty fun Leo Lewis and Jamal Peters threads. When Leo signed with us it was a blast on that board.

messageboardsuperhero
04-02-2015, 10:22 AM
LSU people on that board also think they have Kasongo signed, sealed, and delivered to Baton Rouge if they want him. Pay no mind to the six CBs in our favor in the past week, the two in person visits from coach Howland and our staff, and his recently scheduled OV to Starkville on SBW- he is 100% all LSU.**

smootness
04-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Do we think he can play PG? Bringing him, Weatherspoon, and Simonds in isn't going to hurt us, but it's also a bit strange to have all your talent at SG.

I will say, though, that if he can play PG (and I know some will probably kill me for this), while I prefer Newman, I would take Sampson instead and be happy. He'll stick around for a little longer.

Bothrops
04-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Lsu has some of the most ignorant fans in the history of sports. That includes Latin American soccer fans.

msstate7
04-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Do we think he can play PG? Bringing him, Weatherspoon, and Simonds in isn't going to hurt us, but it's also a bit strange to have all your talent at SG.

I will say, though, that if he can play PG (and I know some will probably kill me for this), while I prefer Newman, I would take Sampson instead and be happy. He'll stick around for a little longer.

And kegler. Not sure how likely he is though

Dawg61
04-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Sampson is from Baton Rouge. What's the latest with Tookie? KEEP TOOKIE!!!!!

msstate7
04-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Sampson quotes

quote:
Sampson also plans to take unofficial visits to Mississippi State and Tulane next week before an official visit to SMU next weekend.

quote:
"I don't wanna jump into anything too fast, so I don't wanna really just tell anybody what I'm looking for," he said. "But one concern I have going into any school is starting as a freshman, going somewhere where somebody's gonna get me better, so that's basically what I wanna hear.

quote:
"If you're calling me, I don't wanna hear anything about playing to the system or coming off the bench. I wanna come in and play big minutes as a freshman."

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/04/madison_preps_brandon_sampson_3.html

Taken from tRant

Do we really want this kid?

chef dixon
04-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Sampson would be an absolute stud pickup for year 1 for Howland

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-02-2015, 01:20 PM
I didn't realize until I read it last night, but I see where Chris Mullin has no head coaching experience. That will interesting to watch. I know he's been around the highest level of basketball and knows it inside and out, but it's still unorthodox for a major college program to hire someone with zero coaching experience.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Similar to Fred Hoiberg at Iowa St.

smootness
04-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Yeah, let me just say that after seeing those quotes, I'm not sure I want Sampson.

Those are alarming statements to make privately, let alone publicly.

thf24
04-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Do we really want this kid?

No comment on that topic, other than that he doesn't strike me as a Howland-type player in terms of attitude.

chef dixon
04-02-2015, 02:12 PM
What do you guys think Malik wants to do? He wants to come in and start, not care about the system, and score points. We still bend over backwards to want him here. I have no problem with Sampson's comments. It'd be nice to have someone on the roster that actually wants to shoot the ball and score points for once. Beggars can't be choosers.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 02:16 PM
What do you guys think Malik wants to do? He wants to come in and start, not care about the system, and score points. We still bend over backwards to want him here. I have no problem with Sampson's comments. It'd be nice to have someone on the roster that actually wants to shoot the ball and score points for once. Beggars can't be choosers.

Only part of the statement I didn't care for was the I don't want to hear about being apart of a system. I wish he would've left that part out.

Dawg61
04-02-2015, 02:29 PM

Steve Lavin for assistant coach**

http://youtu.be/VW-ncE4b9xM

chef dixon
04-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Steve Lavin for assistant coach**

http://youtu.be/VW-ncE4b9xM

That interview is so creepy.

smootness
04-02-2015, 02:46 PM

Malik Newman will be either the most talented, or one of the 2 or 3 most talented players on whichever team he chooses. If he says, 'I don't want to hear a coach talk about me coming off the bench,' then it's because that coach would be insane.

If Brandon Sampson says it, it seems like a kid who just wants everything promised to him. Newman will have no issues earning whatever he needs to earn. He'll do that day one. Sampson? Different story.

And honestly, if you have to put up with an attitude like that from just about anybody, no thanks. There are plenty of talented kids who are willing to work for what they get and be part of a team system, and those are the kids you win with.

Do you think Booker or Ulis told Calipari they didn't want to hear anything about being part of a system? Because they're coming off the bench. Lyles could have been much more of a focal point elsewhere. I want talented kids as long as they're not trying to dictate how much they play or what system before ever showing up.

Dawg61
04-02-2015, 03:49 PM
Malik Newman will be either the most talented, or one of the 2 or 3 most talented players on whichever team he chooses. If he says, 'I don't want to hear a coach talk about me coming off the bench,' then it's because that coach would be insane.

If Brandon Sampson says it, it seems like a kid who just wants everything promised to him. Newman will have no issues earning whatever he needs to earn. He'll do that day one. Sampson? Different story.

And honestly, if you have to put up with an attitude like that from just about anybody, no thanks. There are plenty of talented kids who are willing to work for what they get and be part of a team system, and those are the kids you win with.

Do you think Booker or Ulis told Calipari they didn't want to hear anything about being part of a system? Because they're coming off the bench. Lyles could have been much more of a focal point elsewhere. I want talented kids as long as they're not trying to dictate how much they play or what system before ever showing up.

Consider that he just lost his coach and that he's bummed out he's gotta start over again. He is letting it be known to not waste his time or yours if your plans aren't for him to be playing significant minutes right away. It's more than fair for him to say that upfront and if I was a coach I would appreciate him being blunt about it. He's a top 40 player in the country so there's really only about 10 schools he wouldn't be leaned on heavily right away.

PG Newman, Ready, Tookie
SG Sword, Sampson, Spoon, Dunlap
SF Fred, Houston, Daniels
PF Kasongo, Zuppardo, Black, Strugg
C Ware, Ndoye

That's 16 players. Going to be an interesting signing period this year and moving forward.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Consider that he just lost his coach and that he's bummed out he's gotta start over again. He is letting it be known to not waste his time or yours if your plans aren't for him to be playing significant minutes right away. It's more than fair for him to say that upfront and if I was a coach I would appreciate him being blunt about it. He's a top 40 player in the country so there's really only about 10 schools he wouldn't be leaned on heavily right away.

PG Newman, Ready, Tookie
SG Sword, Sampson, Spoon, Dunlap
SF Fred, Houston, Daniels
PF Kasongo, Zuppardo, Black, Strugg
C Ware, Ndoye

That's 16 players. Going to be an interesting signing period this year and moving forward.

1 thing about your roster is if you get Sampson your not getting Newman or vice versa.

msstate7
04-02-2015, 04:00 PM
1 thing about your roster is if you get Sampson your not getting Newman or vice versa.

Then I hope we 1 or the other

smootness
04-02-2015, 04:01 PM
I would appreciate him being blunt about it so that I could move on.

Again, if he said that privately, it would be concerning. Saying it publicly? Woah boy.

Dawg61
04-02-2015, 08:11 PM
I would appreciate him being blunt about it so that I could move on.

Again, if he said that privately, it would be concerning. Saying it publicly? Woah boy.

You're sniffing glue if you don't want a top 40 overall player in the country. Look at this potential lineup.

PG Newman
SG Sampson
OG Sword
PF Kasongo
C Ware

klong-dog
04-02-2015, 08:19 PM
I think Houston is going to be a stud in the next year or two. I guess he could be the 6th man if we got all 3.

smootness
04-02-2015, 08:51 PM
You're sniffing glue if you don't want a top 40 overall player in the country. Look at this potential lineup.

PG Newman
SG Sampson
OG Sword
PF Kasongo
C Ware

I'm not taking a kid who demands to dictate his own playing situation before ever stepping on campus. There are really talented kids who are great as part of a team, and there are others who are cancers.

I'll take Weatherspoon and Simonds and be just fine.

missouridawg
04-02-2015, 09:51 PM
I didn't realize until I read it last night, but I see where Chris Mullin has no head coaching experience. That will interesting to watch. I know he's been around the highest level of basketball and knows it inside and out, but it's still unorthodox for a major college program to hire someone with zero coaching experience.

I could be very, very wrong on this... But I think the Chris Mullin hire is going to be an atrocious one. I'm talking worse than Rick Ray. Maybe his name still resonates with younger kids.... But I just don't see him being able to recruit like he will need to.

Dawg61
04-02-2015, 09:55 PM
I'm not taking a kid who demands to dictate his own playing situation before ever stepping on campus. There are really talented kids who are great as part of a team, and there are others who are cancers.

I'll take Weatherspoon and Simonds and be just fine.

He'd be the 3rd or 4th highest rated player EVER to play for MSU and you wanna pass on him because of two sentences in one boring interview? Um ok

Dawg61
04-02-2015, 09:57 PM
I could be very, very wrong on this... But I think the Chris Mullin hire is going to be an atrocious one. I'm talking worse than Rick Ray. Maybe his name still resonates with younger kids.... But I just don't see him being able to recruit like he will need to.

He's a former St. John star and HOF NBA player. I can see why the Johnies would give him a chance.

missouridawg
04-02-2015, 10:00 PM
He's a former St. John star and HOF NBA player. I can see why the Johnies would give him a chance.

Should we give Erik Dampier a chance? Playing and recruiting/coaching/running a program are two vastly different skills.

Dawg61
04-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Should we give Erik Dampier a chance? Playing and recruiting/coaching/running a program are two vastly different skills.

Mullin is obviously a highly intelligent basketball mind and he's one of the greatest shooters all-time. If he can develop good shooters amongst his players he is an interesting hire imo. Did Steve Kerr have experience before the Warriors hired him? It's St. John's.

smootness
04-02-2015, 10:13 PM
He'd be the 3rd or 4th highest rated player EVER to play for MSU and you wanna pass on him because of two sentences in one boring interview? Um ok

I want to pass on him if those quotes are an indication of his true attitude, yes. I don't care how talented he is.