PDA

View Full Version : Greg Marshall staying at Wichita

messageboardsuperhero
04-01-2015, 09:49 PM
I'm glad we don't have to go up against him twice a year...

Also, Bama is probably just about in panic mode right now.

CJDAWG85
04-01-2015, 09:52 PM
What did Bama offer?

whosyourdawgy
04-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Prohm next to get the big bucks thrown at him?

Outside Dawg
04-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Lots of people reporting that young Pitino might be who they target next.

engie
04-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Bama's next target is supposedly Richard Pitino...

messageboardsuperhero
04-01-2015, 10:07 PM
What exactly has young Pitino done at Minnesota to warrant consideration for another P5 job? His B1G winning percentage is .389 after inheriting a team Tubby Smith took to the NCAA tourney the year before... I know he had an NIT championship his first year, but other than that, his two years there have been remarkably mediocre.

That would be a strange hire for Bama- borderline desperate, IMO.

Outside Dawg
04-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Wow.
@MattNorlander: Source tells http://t.co/U8TlwqTlTE Marshall's new deal will be for $3.3 million per year on a seven-year contract.

smootness
04-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Bama's next target is supposedly Richard Pitino...

That would be bad for them.

It's good for us in one sense, but now that we have a legitimate coach, I was kind of hoping Bama would get Marshall. It would make that rivalry really fun again, and would help continue to elevate the conference as a whole.

I feel confident going into this year that we have one of the best 3 coaches in the conference (and arguably the best in actual teaching ability). And there are now a lot of really good coaches in the conference. It's definitely exciting.

It wasn't that long ago you had guys like Dennis Felton, Darrin Horn, and Jeff Lebo throughout the SEC. Now you have an unknown in Kim Anderson (won a D2 national title), Andy Kennedy, Johnny Jones, and Billy Kennedy at the bottom of the conference - and two of those are bringing in elite recruiting classes this year.

I mean...Calipari, Donovan, Howland, Pearl, Mike Anderson, Kevin Stallings, Mark Fox, Frank Martin, Rick Barnes...that's a really good group. And I'm sure Bama will get somebody at least promising.

ScottH
04-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Koch $ > Bama $

messageboardsuperhero
04-01-2015, 10:18 PM
That would be bad for them.

It's good for us in one sense, but now that we have a legitimate coach, I was kind of hoping Bama would get Marshall. It would make that rivalry really fun again, and would help continue to elevate the conference as a whole.

I feel confident going into this year that we have one of the best 3 coaches in the conference (and arguably the best in actual teaching ability). And there are now a lot of really good coaches in the conference. It's definitely exciting.

It wasn't that long ago you had guys like Dennis Felton, Darrin Horn, and Jeff Lebo throughout the SEC. Now you have an unknown in Kim Anderson (won a D2 national title), Andy Kennedy, Johnny Jones, and Billy Kennedy at the bottom of the conference - and two of those are bringing in elite recruiting classes this year.

I mean...Calipari, Donovan, Howland, Pearl, Mike Anderson, Kevin Stallings, Mark Fox, Frank Martin, Rick Barnes...that's a really good group. And I'm sure Bama will get somebody at least promising.

**** that. I don't want an SEC school located 90 miles away to be good- it only make it that much tougher on us.

We're already seeing how much tougher Johnny Jones is to recruit against compared to their past coaches- without him, we'd probably be the unquestioned leaders for Newman and Kasongo. No need to make achieving success any harder than it has to be.

smootness
04-01-2015, 10:21 PM
**** that. I don't want an SEC school located 90 miles away to be good- it only make it that much tougher on us.

We're already seeing how much tougher Johnny Jones is to recruit against compared to their past coaches- without him, we'd probably be the unquestioned leaders for Newman and Kasongo. No need to make achieving success any harder than it has to be.

Maybe, maybe not. We've seen in football that a rising tide lifts all boats sometimes. Does it hurt ACC schools that there are so many good coaches and programs in the conference? No, they just get more teams in the Tournament, and they play better competition throughout the year to prepare them for what they'll see there.

Again, I obviously know that in one sense it helps us that Bama won't get him. But it can also help us in another sense, and it definitely would make the rivalry fun again.

If we had Stansbury or Ray or somebody like that, I'd hope like heck we didn't get knocked further down the pecking order. But with Howland, I like our chances against anybody.

ckDOG
04-01-2015, 11:18 PM

^^f'ing this^^

War Machine Dawg
04-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Told y'all he wasn't leaving WSU for a football first school. He can hang out 1-5 years at WSU and take one of the premier CBB jobs when Boeheim, Coach K, Roy Williams, etc. start retiring.

Dawg61
04-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Bama is probably just about in panic mode right now.

Stansbury would be a good hire for them at this point.

dawgs
04-02-2015, 01:44 AM
Good for Wichita st. As state fans, we should appreciate when a program steps up to hold onto to what they have.

Coach34
04-02-2015, 06:31 AM
Stansbury would be a good hire for them at this point.

He is their safety net and 5th-6th choice. Quite a few have to say no before it gets to him. But it could happen- never know. I cant see Prohm turning Bama down though

mic
04-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Bama offered 6 yrs 30 million with 26 million guaranteed .
Texas never offered him the job.. How dumb was that..
Props to WSU for steeping up big time..
And good for Marshall staying at a place that he wants to be at and getting paid $$$$...

And who does it feel to be bammer today.. You just got turned down by a coach ar a mid major while offering that much jack...

Goat from MSU
04-02-2015, 07:34 AM
I told them the same thing money is not everything. Bama ,Saban a no no.
Told y'all he wasn't leaving WSU for a football first school. He can hang out 1-5 years at WSU and take one of the premier CBB jobs when Boeheim, Coach K, Roy Williams, etc. start retiring.

Goat from MSU
04-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Prohm will turn them down too ,He loves it there and new baby too. If Bama pays 4 mil. he might then. But it will every penny of that.
He is their safety net and 5th-6th choice. Quite a few have to say no before it gets to him. But it could happen- never know. I cant see Prohm turning Bama down though

msstate7
04-02-2015, 07:38 AM
Prohm will turn them down too ,He loves it there and new baby too. If Bama pays 4 mil. he might then. But it will every penny of that.

Prohm isn't worth 4 million

Goat from MSU
04-02-2015, 07:50 AM
Too Bad that what it will take ,now that everyone knows what they have offer Marshall,and was turned down . Serves them right.
Prohm isn't worth 4 million

CadaverDawg
04-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Ha, at this point Bama ought to just sign Rick Ray to a one year deal worth 750k, and try again for a big boy next season.

justwin
04-02-2015, 08:55 AM
To me, it shouldn't be a surprise that Marshall turned down Bama. It is just not that good a job, really. Also, I think they have a perception among coaches as being a coach-killer program. They fired, arguably, the best coach in the history of their program in Gottfried, who is now flourishing at NC State. And, Grant, at the time, was considered the top up-and-comer before taking Bama. I would not be surprised to see Grant land on his feet & excel, again, in his next coaching venture. And, equally as important, the top three sports at Bama are fb, fb & fb.

Many non-State fans would disagree, but I feel that the State job is more attractive. In the past 12 years, State is the 3rd most successful bb team in the SEC behind KY and UF, in terms of SEC titles/'ships. And, that is including the Ray era. State has much better facilities, solid fan support for the program, and has proven that it can attract, and land, top talent.

AROB44
04-02-2015, 08:57 AM
On sports radio in Mobile, AL Joe Gottfried (Mark's dad and former AD as South Ala) has been pushing Stans for the past couple of days.

Coach34
04-02-2015, 09:05 AM
They have much higher aspirations than Stands. Stands is trying like hell to get in the picture of course. I can understand Marshall turning them down-especially with Wichita stepping it up to 3.3- but with Prohm being a Bama grad- hard to see him turning it down

Liverpooldawg
04-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Stans at Bama wouldn't be good for us. I don't care who our coach is we have to recruit Mississippi and Stans at Bama would be fierce competition for Mississippi kids.

Coach34
04-02-2015, 09:52 AM
How many legit Mississippi targets are there the next 2-3 years?

Coach34
04-02-2015, 10:02 AM
i can't see Stands getting the Bammer job- but even if he did- he lost Mississippi kids while he was at State. Johnny O and others say hello. Howland and the basketball network will trump anything that hillbilly brings over this way

msstate7
04-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Stans at Bama wouldn't be good for us. I don't care who our coach is we have to recruit Mississippi and Stans at Bama would be fierce competition for Mississippi kids.

Personally I hope we're using mccray's connection in Atlanta.

Liverpooldawg
04-02-2015, 10:09 AM
34, you can't deny Stans is a great recruiter. He would be stiff competition for Mississippi kids at Bama. Bama recruits Mississippi pretty well any way. You add in Stans' connection and that is stiff competition. Mississippi will always be our recruiting base. We also hit Alabama really hard for basketball. Again, Stans has great connections there and always recruited that state very well. Your hatred for Stans and your fierce need to always belittle him is clouding your objectivity here. Stans at Bama would be very bad for MSU. That being said I think they will have to be turned down by a lot of people for Stans to get it. The Alabama ego will have a VERY hard time hiring a coach we fired.

engie
04-02-2015, 10:15 AM
How many legit Mississippi targets are there the next 2-3 years?

I think the talent level in MS is in a pretty big upswing in the next couple of classes...

msstate7
04-02-2015, 10:17 AM
I think the talent level in MS is in a pretty big upswing in the next couple of classes...

Yep '17 is shaping up well. Don't we have an in with a kid from Columbus?

Coach34
04-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Nothing is being clouded. Stands connections were our boosters. Their ass ain't gonna help him now. It's Howland and our network vs Stands- we'll win those battles nearly every time. It's not gonna matter anyway.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Yep '17 is shaping up well. Don't we have an in with a kid from Columbus?

Dad played ball at MSU & they are at most home games. Brooks has already built a great relationship with him. Would be extremely shocked if he's not a Dawg.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Dad played ball at MSU & they are at most home games. Brooks has already built a great relationship with him. Would be extremely shocked if he's not a Dawg.

ETA: The kid I'm talking about is Robert Woodard he's a 2018 kid.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 10:27 AM
There are actually 2 Top 25 players in MS in the 2018 class. Robert Woodward of Columbus & Ladarius Marshall of Forest Hill.

Dawg61
04-02-2015, 10:52 AM
34, you can't deny Stans is a great recruiter. He would be stiff competition for Mississippi kids at Bama. Bama recruits Mississippi pretty well any way. You add in Stans' connection and that is stiff competition. Mississippi will always be our recruiting base. We also hit Alabama really hard for basketball. Again, Stans has great connections there and always recruited that state very well. Your hatred for Stans and your fierce need to always belittle him is clouding your objectivity here. Stans at Bama would be very bad for MSU. That being said I think they will have to be turned down by a lot of people for Stans to get it. The Alabama ego will have a VERY hard time hiring a coach we fired.

Way more Alabama players on our roster in the last 15 years than MS kids on the Bama roster. Stansbury at Bama is not much of a threat for us. He'd do a good job for Bama. Gottfried got a 2nd chance and so did Brady. Time for Bury to get his. Bama is retarded if they offer Prohm even 3 million. Stansbury will take that job for $1.75 and win more than Prohm would. Gottfried's Bama and Stansbury's MSU were two very similar programs located only 90 miles away. Stansbury would be a good hire for Alabama.

Liverpooldawg
04-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Nothing is being clouded. Stands connections were our boosters. Their ass ain't gonna help him now. It's Howland and our network vs Stands- we'll win those battles nearly every time. It's not gonna matter anyway.

Lol. You can't help it can you? Do you think that just maybe Alabama has boosters too?

Coach34
04-02-2015, 11:34 AM
If we dont get Woodard's kid I'll be shocked

smootness
04-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Too Bad that what it will take ,now that everyone knows what they have offer Marshall,and was turned down . Serves them right.

Uh, what? That's not how the free market works.

CrookedLetta
04-02-2015, 12:02 PM

Captain of knowledge. You are so knowledgeable! **

Coach34
04-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Stands would take that job 30 mins ago if they offered it. The search will continue for a few more days before it gets to him. You're welcome