PDA

View Full Version : Hitting coach that is not Kent Murphy

Todd4State
04-01-2015, 09:11 PM
If we do go looking for a hitting coach in the offseason, my top two guys are Kevin Schnall from Central Florida and then Aaron Smith from Belmont. I looked at Dallas Baptist's coaching staff, and unfortunately their head coach appears to be their hitting coach, so I don't think he would be a realistic candidate.

I think Schnall would be a good fit because he appears to have more of a power hitting philosophy. They are among the nations leaders in home runs and doubles. But he also has an offense that has 27 stolen bases in 33 attempts and they have 15 SAC bunts, so I think that there is a good chance he would fit in. I assume he has some connections in Florida and he is UCF's recruiting coordinator. As far as pro experience, Schnall played in the Reds system so he has some MLB exposure. He has also coached at Coastal Carolina which is pretty good mid major program.

State82
04-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Can't tell much about Smith, but Schnall looks like a very solid choice. Particularly since he is the recruiting coordinator. Pretty good pedigree also.

RossDawg82
04-01-2015, 09:54 PM
If only Kent Murphy was available. I like his attitude

Todd4State
04-01-2015, 10:31 PM

I think his socks are a little too close to his knee.**

Cabo32
04-02-2015, 12:42 AM

We would never bunt

We would hit more dingers

Wouldn't mind seeing a few guys rock a Kirk Gibson while rounding 2nd

RossDawg82
04-02-2015, 11:32 AM
We would never bunt

We would hit more dingers

Wouldn't mind seeing a few guys rock a Kirk Gibson while rounding 2nd

This equals winning. Murphys knowledge of the game, with butch thompsons pitching knowledge. We would be like the LSU of old. And we know Kent can probably recruit because who would want to learn from the best

Tripp McNeely
04-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Honest question...does it really matter? Isn't "MSU baseball hitting coach" essentially equivalent to "MSU football offensive coordinator"?

I mean, I would love for Cohen to realize that he' doing more harm than he is good. Take on more of the "CEO" role, spend some money and hire a really good hitting coach (because we can), and just let that guy do his thing...I just don't see it happening.